[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You should be able to solve this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
File: blue eyes.jpg (27 KB, 470x313) Image search: [Google]
blue eyes.jpg
27 KB, 470x313
>A group of people with assorted eye colors live on an island. They are all perfect logicians -- if a conclusion can be logically deduced, they will do it instantly. No one knows the color of their eyes. Every night at midnight, a ferry stops at the island. Any islanders who have figured out the color of their own eyes then leave the island, and the rest stay. Everyone can see everyone else at all times and keeps a count of the number of people they see with each eye color (excluding themselves), but they cannot otherwise communicate. Everyone on the island knows all the rules in this paragraph.

>On this island there are 100 blue-eyed people, 100 brown-eyed people, and the Guru (she happens to have green eyes). So any given blue-eyed person can see 100 people with brown eyes and 99 people with blue eyes (and one with green), but that does not tell him his own eye color; as far as he knows the totals could be 101 brown and 99 blue. Or 100 brown, 99 blue, and he could have red eyes.

>The Guru is allowed to speak once (let's say at noon), on one day in all their endless years on the island. Standing before the islanders, she says the following:

"I can see someone who has blue eyes."

Who leaves the island, and on what night?
>>
>>54326424
An island is surrounded by water. Nobody gives a fuck about the old lady and just checks the reflection in the water and leaves the first night.

What do I win?
>>
File: 1461983745661.jpg (138 KB, 869x1087) Image search: [Google]
1461983745661.jpg
138 KB, 869x1087
>>54326640
here, have a meme
>>
>>54326640
They will say, bitch I can see 100 people with blue eyes, realized they have brown eyes and leave that night
>>
>>54326424
On the first night, the superior blue-eyed aryans kill the inferior mud-eyed peasants

On the 2nd night, everyone leaves
>>
All of them on the first night.
>>
On the 100th day, all 100 blue eyed people will leave.
>>
>>54326737
>but they cannot otherwise communicate.
>>
>>54326854
Why?
>>
>>54326875
>but they cannot otherwise communicate.
Man I'd just kill myself. Fuck leaving the island if I can't communicate with people
>>
>>54326424
Water is reflective.
>>
>>54326875
They will say it to themselves
>>
File: 563847.jpg (26 KB, 390x344) Image search: [Google]
563847.jpg
26 KB, 390x344
I've got a better question:

Who the fuck cares about this gay story and what the FUCK does it have to do with Tibetan basket weaving of graphics cards?
>>
one of the people with blue eyes will leave the same night
what the fuck kind of question is this
>>
>>54326424
If we ignore the existence of water someone would be able to deduce their eye color based on the others. This isn't because they know there are an exact number but because it is improbable that there would be 99 of one eye color and 101 of the other. Even splits are very rare in nature.
>>
>>54326994
To add, the near even split indicates that the island was engineered and engineers wouldn't place 99 if one and 101 of the other. The only instance in which someone would would be if they were studying the phenomenon of humans preferring the even split.
>>
>>54326424
In my solution it is implied the greens leave the following night after all blues.
I guess the best way to consider this problem is to consider it with one person at first. If there are 100 greens and one blue, the blue will know it is himself the lady refers to and leave (followed by the rest). If there are 2, both blues will not leave that night. seeing that the other blue failed to leave, they both leave the following night. knowing this for 2, 3 can also be applied. If you are one of three blues and want to know if you are blue, it would be expected that if there were 2 blues they would leave the second night. If they don't then you are one of the blues and the blues leave the third night. This can be extended such that all of the blues leave on the 100th night and the greens all leave on the 101th night. The greens could also leave the 100th night if they have time to decide, but I assumed the decision was instantaneous.
>>
The Guru leaves on the first night.
>>
yea i saw the youtube video too
>>
>>54326424
The answer is 50:50 faggot
>>
File: 1460005719054.jpg (31 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1460005719054.jpg
31 KB, 480x480
Colored eyes are actually a mutation
Kill the aberrations, cleanse the gene pool
>>
On the first night everyone will say that they have blue eyes and all the blue eyes will go the first night.
>>
All 100 people with blue eyes leave on the 100th day. Welcome to induction.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.