[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Keyboarding Technique and Practice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6
File: BCKTu.gif (505 KB, 380x289) Image search: [Google]
BCKTu.gif
505 KB, 380x289
How did you /g/uys learn how to type? Personally, I was taught with Mavis Beacon nearly 2 decades ago. I'm at about 80wpm but want to get faster and more precise. What software or programs would you recommend?
>>
instant messaging
>>
high school
>>
No dedicated technique. Lots of online gaming and instant messaging.

100-130 wpm.
>>
>>54325906
>Personally, I was taught with Mavis Beacon nearly 2 decades ago.
haha. I was fought with that too back in 07 but it really didn't help. Shitposting daily brought me from 50ish to over 90wpm. I'd highly recommend it to anyone looking to become a better typist.
>>
>>54326577
With shit tier ISO layout, mind you.

I don't really use the home row properly either, especially on my left hand (wasd-ish). Difficult to change now. Most of my typing is done with 2-3 fingers on each hand.
>>
>>54325906
I type with 2 fingers on each hand, about 115 wpm. just playing mmos
>>
Up to four fingers at a time. I don't type in the traditional way. People say I should learn to type correctly but I get around 90 wpm.
>>
I type with like 7 or 6 fingers at about 68 wpm. anything higher and you should kill yourself
>>
i selected colemak and typed
end
>>
>>54325906
I just typed a lot when I was a kid. I was hanging out in all sorts of chatrooms back then.
>>
>>54325906
I learned to type in school in computer class on some typing game set in space.
The rule was
Left hand: pinky on a, ring on s, middle on d, pointer on f. Right hand: pinky on l, ring on k, middle on j and pointer on h.
For g, r, t, y c, v and b you move your pointer finger to tap them, and then directly back to position. And then same for the rest of the keys, move whatever finger is above or below to tap it, then directly back to position. And the thumbs were for space. Anyone caught with their hands not in proper position got in trouble.
>>
Try to pick up a teambased online game with no voice chat. You'll learn typing fast in no time.
>>
File: picture-1.png (87 KB, 300x192) Image search: [Google]
picture-1.png
87 KB, 300x192
>>54325906
Buy one of these you fucking baby
>>
Start ERPing
>>
File: 1407390330627.jpg (28 KB, 251x404) Image search: [Google]
1407390330627.jpg
28 KB, 251x404
I learned to type (well) by playing RuneScape.
>>
DEE DEE GET OFF MY COMPUTER!
>>
>>54327745
Typing without looking and typing faster are totally different dipshit.
>>
>>54325906
Gaming and shitposting when I was growing up.

Got about 135wpm with my language's ISO layout.
>>
>>54325906
The Typing of the Dead (PC Version)

I can touch type in both QWERTY and Dvorak.

My typical WPM is 115.

Get shrekt.
>>
I used to be four finger pecker but because I didn't want to look autistic in college I googled 'learn to type' and used the first thing I found. Went from 90 to 130 and am no longer self conscious about my typing form.
>inb4 autism
Yeah pretty much.
>>
File: Z0036126.jpg (162 KB, 1023x885) Image search: [Google]
Z0036126.jpg
162 KB, 1023x885
This first
Then Mavis Beacon
Then in high school I took a keyboarding class and actually learned to type. I think having an actual grade attached was more motivating.

Anyone ever use Mario teaches typing out of curiousity?
>>
File: 1454370875737.jpg (94 KB, 635x639) Image search: [Google]
1454370875737.jpg
94 KB, 635x639
>>54327745
>covering up the trackpoint
>>
File: every anime.png (371 KB, 624x1005) Image search: [Google]
every anime.png
371 KB, 624x1005
All these finger-peckers are making me cry. Why aren't you using the most ergonomic and efficient home-row style of typing, practically guaranteed to get you to a minimum of 60WPM and 95% accuracy with proper discipline?

Though to be honest I feel pretty small-time compared to all the 100+ folks ITT
>>
>>54325906
chatting with ppl on yahoo chat
>>
>>54329558
Are you fucking retarded
>>
Vidya and 4chan.
240 wpm
>>
Video games when younger. When your only means of communication in a game is through text you learn real fucking fast how to type efficiently.

However, I'm trying to reteach myself dvorak because it's allegedly faster, but more importantly it's less awkward and reduces repetitive strain injury. My main advice is to just force yourself to type more. Shitpost, play games, text chat, whatever it takes to make just work on the connections in your head.
>>
Taught myself as a kid and now I type extremely inefficiently, but still 70WPM which amazes most normies. Index finger for entire left half of keyboard, 3 fingers for the right half + pinky for backspace + thumb for space. The 1 finger on the left is insanely inefficient so I will definitely have to fix that.
>>
>>54327745
This, but still had shitty wpm until I started playing Typer Shark in the school computer lab.
>>
>>54325906
Nothing. Just games and lots of chatting, I just developed speed over time.

I'm at 90~100 WPM, I don't touch type though since I'm too lazy to learn typing from scratch
>>
>>54334187
What do you mean you don't touch type?
You look at the keyboard while typing?
I never look at the keyboard and I'm sure my "technique" is awful since I use like 7-8 fingers and I just have my own style and I get 100-110 wpm. It seriously boggles my mind how people that use a pc everyday need to look at their keyboard.
>>
>>54325906
Work
>>
>>54325906
I learned using gtypist - the GNU typing tutor.
>>
>>54335241
Whoops, looks like I misunderstood. Most of the time I don't look at the keyboard, and rarely I do gaze down.

What I meant to say is, I never had a proper touch typing training from the Internet. Probably just like you, I have a shitty typing style. As a result I sometimes have an awkward typing moment, sometimes if I type too fast my fingers get tangled because I don't have a proper finger assignment on each key, and I only use two fingers on my right hand while I fully utilize my four fingers on my left hand. Sometimes my right index finger even goes to the near the ASD region for no reason.

Also I'm saving up for my first mech kb.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.