[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This week I made a surprising discovery, though in hindsight
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
This week I made a surprising discovery, though in hindsight I guess I expected this to be the case all along. Up until mid 2015 I've been using some version of Firefox as my primary web browser, though I've experimented with a whole bunch of others.

>suddenly Q3 2015, quit job
>move to another country
>no computer, only phone
>looking casually for a job
>too casually. Takes me longer than expected
>job market is tough. Finally get a job in March 2016

This is where things get interesting. My new company is rather based. A lot more freedom, we're even allowed to eat at our desks, something I'd never been allowed to do back in 2015. Everything is still clean though.

Anyway, I notice fairly quickly that everyone has Chrome installed as well as IE. fuckyes.jpg Feeling relieved, at least I'm not forced to use IE. During training, watch other colleagues use their computers. Most use Chrome. Except the managers. They mostly use IE.

>Is management everywhere in the world retarded with web browser's?

I finish the training and get my own machine. Immediately use Chrome and install uBlock Origin. Feels good man. Keep using Chrome for a couple of weeks. One website doesn't work. Open it in IE. Fucking lagfest. Website still doesn't work. Still... how can people be so retarded as to still use IE?

Forgot to post work specs.
>i3 desktop, probably 3rd gen
>4GB memory (it's enough for our work)
>1080 fairly large monitor

Can't help but noticing that Chrome has this lag that is minor, but fairly constant. Start getting annoyed. Can't use IE, it's 10x worse. Then I notice that Chrome keeps sneakily hibernating tabs. I check task manager. 3.1GB used. Okay so it's not like I'm out of memory. This is annoying, because it's laggy enough without this auto hibernation thing. Tabs I need often keep being hibernated. I realize this is why I resisted Chrome all these years. There's no fucking control. Itch to use Firefox again grows stronger. There's only one problem.

Continued...
>>
>browser using more than 512MB
chrome is bad and you should feel bad. i never go over 512MB with firefox (on linux)
>>
>>54325505
...continued

>Only one problem.
Firefox has been bashed constantly on /g/ since I stopped using it back in Q3 2015. People say it keeps getting worse. I start feeling uneasy. What if they're not just shilling? What if they're right?

>Windows 7 btw

Decide to try Firefox anyway.

>Want it to be fast. Will need e10s (multiprocess)
>Pick Aurora (dev edition for you newfags)
>PC complains I need administrator access.
Fuck. I knew it was too good to be true. Click cancel on the administrator popup.
>Aurora finishes installing anyways and opens.
>Mah nigga

I spent 5 minutes on Aurora, customizing it, changing the theme to light, etc. Here are my results after 2 days usage.

>ultra fast, like no lag whatsoever
>100% stable
>looks incredible. No seriously. Australis theme is gone.

tl;dr
I thought people on /g/ were bashing Firefox because it's bad. Boy was I wrong. They're just a bunch of tools shilling Chrome because it's "popular".

Fucking normies have infiltrated /g/
>>
>>54325505
Forgot to mention, Chrome used 500MB. Aurora used 300MB, despite being multiprocess and having as many tabs open as Chrome.

I can't wait for multiprocess to come to stable channel. Firefox is still the best.
>>
>>54325637
I can control what browser I use, can't exactly install Linux on my work computer though.
>>
>>54325671
It's Google shills trying to spread FUD about Firefox. And some retarded idiots who use chrome because it comes bundled with every installer and gets advertised heavily hopped on the Firefox bashing wagon to make themselves feel superior.
>>
>blogposting
>>
>>54325505
the fuck?
>>
>>54325505
chrome the most botnet browset
>>
>>54325505
Nice blog post!

jk kys
>>
>>54328909
Thanks for your post. Now go fuck yourself.
>>
>>54325505
Firefox is all I ever use. I've even convinced the folks of its awesomeness. First thing they do after buying a new laptop or something is to bring it to me to set it up and "put the good internet thing on it."
>>
>>54325637
>. i never go over 512MB with firefox
That's about what Firefox takes on startup.

Are you aware that Firefox can have multiple pages open? You don't even need to have them in different windows. There's tabs.
>>
>>54329852
How many addons are you using? Aurora was taking 300MB with dom process count set to 3, ten tabs open, and 3 addons. Yes that MB count included all the plugin containers.
>>
using dragon 32b. installed nightly 64b. using 75MB more with three tabs open in nightly than my whole multiprocess comodo with 13 tabs open and nightly won't go e10s. i think i'll stick with dragon.
>>
>>54331783
also at 5% cpu with two camchat tabs open and a separate fullscreen window running 1080p youtube.
>>
>>54325505

This is at your job? Don't you have work to do besides making your browser 3% faster? Notice how the rest of your co-workers don't really give a shit and are probably much more productive than you are?
>>
>>54332028
underrated post
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.