[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why has GNU/Linux won over FreeBSD? FreeBSD seems to be the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: sdim6510.jpg (1 MB, 2640x1760) Image search: [Google]
sdim6510.jpg
1 MB, 2640x1760
Why has GNU/Linux won over FreeBSD?
FreeBSD seems to be the superior OS of the two.
>>
>>54324372
It was endorsed by GNU.
>>
I wish a corporation like Google took FreeBSD, injected millions into development, changed it like Apple has done with Darwin, and then create a graphical interface for it.
>>
Because Linux users absolutely love shitty audio output and thus they decided to develop a new audio system in form of ALSA instead of continuing work with the last GPL-version of OSS3. FreeBSD devs on the other hand, continued OSS3 development (Hannu developed OSS almost completely alone) and now they have superior, in-kernel sound system and Linux users just cant deal with decent audio quality.
>>
Just say Linux.

Adding the GNU makes you sound like a virgin.
>>
>>54324372
what is that screen and where can I get one?
>>
>>54324461
>>54324477
How is FreeBSD on the desktop these days? Is it usable? Driver support?
>>
>>54324372
what does bsd use instead of linux as a kernel?
yes, i'm retarded.
>>
>>54324501
The BSD kernel.

If you take FreeBSD and replace the BSD kernel with the Linux kernel you get the meme distro Gentoo. That's what basically Gentoo did more or less.
>>
Because niggers.
>>
>>54324372
Because FreeBSD doesn't have the same hardware support.

You'll say the linux kernel is bloated, well, enjoy obscurity BSD.
>>
Funtoo is superior.
>>
>>54324524
So, using similar rc and package managament that has few ideas from ports, you get meme distro.
>>
-Has a license that guarantees freedom and it isn't stolen by corporations without any code donated back
-Didn't spend almost a whole decade at the most critical point arguing with AT&T over unix licenses
-has actual software to work with other people in this millennium
-OEM installations
-Isn't run by autistics who value "computer science" and "elegance" (nobody has ever defined what this is because it's a cop-out) who go full freetard when they can't find software for something just insist it's cancer and should have never existed
>>
>>54324372
Because when has anything that was truly better won in popularity?
>>
>>54324388
Google is kind of doing that right now with forking gentoo and then turning it into chrome/chromium OS with a graphical interface.
>>
>>54324524
The FreeBSD kernel. They don't share a base like Linux distros do, FreeBSD, NetBSD, and OpenBSD all have their own kernel
>>
>>54324539
This
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.