[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why aren't you using OS X, the best os since 2002, and most
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 241
Thread images: 22
File: gpqkzodr.png (187 KB, 1768x1887) Image search: [Google]
gpqkzodr.png
187 KB, 1768x1887
Why aren't you using OS X, the best os since 2002, and most likely keeping that title for the rest of this decade?
>>
>>54323985
>Because I'm poor
>Because Mac OS X plateaued at 10.6 Snow Leopard
>Because it's all downhill from here
>>
>>54323985
Honestly?
Because I can't afford it.
I can't think of a single other reason to pick Winshit or GNUshit over OSX
>>
>>54324013
install os x on your computer. hackintosh worked better than linux on my machine. and OS X was the best at 10.8.
>>
I am Anon. No complaints at all. Some walled garden bullshit, but it takes literally no technical skill or time at all to get around that.
>>
Because I don't want to
>>
>>54323985
Because i use more than Facebook
>>
HOLY SHIT THIS IS GREAT
>>
File: 1438190950299.jpg (619 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1438190950299.jpg
619 KB, 1920x1080
>>54323985
Hate all the shitty interface quirks that Mac holds onto. Windows just does a lot of things more intuitively and better.

Things in OS X interface that are shit:
>unified menu at screen top
I've had apps crash this/make it hang and it's shit.
>no start menu
How do you even launch shit that's not on the boogie bar? Finder? It's shit.
>option clicking and one button mouses
just lol

In conclusion:
Fuck it
>>
>>54324089
enjoying the Skeuomorphism too? Even though niresh is a shitty build. you'd better get an official image. But still this is ok, and niresh was my first OS X hackintosh experience too. Expect that your notification centre could be raped it niresh notification flood.
>>54324081
OS X is more powerful than linux or BSD derivatives. Read the image.
>>
Because HFS+ has already corrupted two external drives of mine.
>>
>downloading el capitan is a pain since it just randomly stops and you have to resume the download every 2 minutes
>more than 50% negative reviews in app store
lel
>>
>>54324121
I want to install the official el capitan now, since it apparently still works on this shitty main board (G31M-ES2L)
>>
>>54324119
>no start menu
Use launchpad or just pin applications folder to dock
>option clicking and one button mouses
apple new magic mouse is at least from 2011 and has 2nd mouse button
>>54324134
Use ZFS (available on some versions) or journaled HFS+
>>
>>54324168
Do it! I recommend BootDiskUtility.exe (google it) for creating proper OS X thumb drive install disks
>>
>>54324193
>journaled HFS+
That's what I used.
>>
>>54324235
Oh well. Apple probably won't add a normal FS, because the SSD manages itself (unlide HD), and thumbdrives are mostly formatted to fat32 or something simply because that way is the most universal
>>
>>54323985
I'm not gay so I use Linux
>>
>>54324033
games and upgradable hardware
>>
>>54323985
Becayse I could spend 1/10th of the price on a thinkpad which does exactly what I need.
>>
>>54324276
>because the SSD manages itself
What
>>
>>54323985
OS X is the OS you use if you want to be successful, rich, and get laid.
>>
>>54323985
>Why aren't you using OS X, the best os since 2002

Because it hasn't been good since 10.6.

Most of the POSIX utilities haven't been updated since then, it's gotten slower and slower for no reason, and there haven't been any decent new features except maybe mission control (iCloud integration can especially fuck right off).

I'd say that even Windows 10 is better at this point.
>>
>>54323985
I was going to say because my Pycharm license works off my work's license server, but I just realized the community edition is free.

Fuck, I've been doing Django dev on Windows the past 2 weeks lel
>>
>>54326311

Hell, once the Linux subsystem for Windows 10 is released, I'd say that Windows 10 would end up being a better UNIX than OSX.
>>
>>54326347
It would still have the Windows ecosystem, which is bloat since all you want for dev is the subsystem. Windows doesn't provide much else for devving
>>
So this is... the master race...
>>
Any guides for x99 hackintosh with no access to a Mac?
>>
>>54326406
>with no access to a Mac?
VMware workstation with that hack?
>>
>>54326379
>bloat

"Bloat" is a meaningless buzzword. Windows 10 runs more than adequately on my 4 year old PC.
>>
>>54326634
It's still bloat. Why would you have win10 around considering it doesn't have any useful dev tools?
>>
>>54323985
honestly? because is not very good.
>>
>>54326452
The niresh cancer? Seems like those pajeet ROMs to me..
>>54326406
>>
>>54326654
What the hell are you talking about kid

Windows has access to literally any dev tool you can think of, including UNIX-tools/libraries thanks to Cygwin/Linux subsystem and dotNet/Visual Studio.
>>
>>54326814
Considering you need those tools, you are only confirming the bloat
>>
>>54326833
What bloat, retard?
>>
>>54326871
Windows 10
>>
Why am i not using OS X?
Because i don't have money or time

I tried installing a Hackintosh, it worked perfectly until i tried getting the backlight to work, the screen just fucked up.

And, why does the keyboard shortcuts suck so bad? WHAT DO YOU MEAN ALT GR IS THE SAME AS COMMAND??! I USE ALT GR + Q TO TYPE "@" AND I'M USED TO IT YOU FUCKING IDIOTS

Does anyone know how to get a more standard keyboard thing in OS X (Preferably 10.11 or 10.10 since i don't like old look of OS X)

But i might try it this summer when i have the time to fuck up my laptop
>>
>>54326880
You fail to answer a simple question. Go back to installing arch or whatever the NEET kids are doing these days.
>>
>>54326900
So mad
>>
>>54323985
because I don't want to sell my soul to the Apple ecosystem
>>
>>54326795
Dunno, I used niresh shit in VMware to create the retail el capitan usb
>>
But I am. Just Hackintosh though.

I mean it's alright. It's keeping me away from windows more than linux ever could.
>>
>>54326895
Unfortunately the only option you have there is to use Karabiner, which lets you switch keys all over the place. It has many, many different switches so you can get to what you want.
>>
>>54323985
I have been hackintoshing quite well for about five years now I believe, and while I have been very fond of OS X for all that time, switching to full GNU/Linux wasn't as bad as I expected.

All operating systems have issues, and OS X is no exception. I have no idea how "perfect drivers made by OS creators" came on that list, because Apple's drivers (and nVidia's/AMDs graphics drivers) are half assed beyond belief. They are a serious problem and developers hate them with a passion. They are a fucking shitheap to work with and give really bad performance compared to what they could do like on Windows.

As for "more gaymes", I found wine on Linux to be more intuitive and usable than CrossOver, PlayOnMac, Wineskin or similar wine interfaces. Natively? Sure, but you cannot expect perfect performance nor bug-free OS X gaming, I know that first hand.

Awesome terminal is also something I highly disagree with. The stock terminal Apple ships with OS X is actually really bad, however iTerm2 makes up for it. Not really a pro, since Linux has better terminals.

Something that should be mentioned on OS X' cons is how HFS+ is bad. Like really bad. The lack of any good file systems on OS X is actually sad. ZFS soon please.

Now I'm not defending Linux' problems. X11 IS shit, and the lack of proprietary software IS a problem, screen tearing is a real fucking problem (byproduct of X11 sucking) and the segmentation (while being the foundation of the entire movement) is really bad.
>>
>>54323985
>Aqua is best looking DE
can't stand it, gets worse every release
>compatible with 99% of Linux & bad apps
As someone who (unfortunately) is still stuck with a Mac, I'd say 50% is a high estimate. The version of clang that ships with OSX is outdated, the Mach-o universal binaries fuck up the linker, the assembler fails to properly deal with the loopz instruction, any vector extensions are also not supported, so gcc with -march=native always fails, it's a pain in the ass to even get GCC working at all because of how hard they force clang, Apple's version of libtool fucks up static linking, the half-assed unofficial package managers are shit and remove everything that fails to compile rather than fixing it (homebrew also comes with Google analytics), the software which you are forced to compile yourself (since all unofficial package managers have a shit selection) almost always fail to compile or segfault within seconds of starting, OSX ignores the system-V abi on a number of occasions, htop doesn't even work without root privileges
>almost no malware
OSX had nearly as many RCE vulns in 2015 as Windows XP had in it's entire lifetime, there are more code execution vulnerabilities in OSX than there are denial of service, I didn't even know that was possible.
>awesome terminal
Terminal.app isn't very good, Apple still ships bash 3.2 and outdated coreutils to avoid GPLv3
>most feature rich system
Objectively false

I won't even get into how bad Safari is or the fact that most of Apple's software has horrible memory leaks.
>>
Because Quartz is terrible, the Apple store is barely better than the Windows store, and iTunes is proprietary.

If the horrible window management and dock isn't enough to make you ragequit Apple, the bugs and incompatible software and drivers will. Every single mac owner has buyers remorse.
>>
File: 1456577035296.png (214 KB, 400x462) Image search: [Google]
1456577035296.png
214 KB, 400x462
>>54327178
>>
GNU/Linux is the best.
>>
>>54323985
>windows
>botnet
>imblying os x is not botnet :-DDD
>>
File: overclock_stable.jpg (86 KB, 195x195) Image search: [Google]
overclock_stable.jpg
86 KB, 195x195
>>54327208
Come to website.

Use its features.
>>
>>54326833

Wait, you think that the fact that you have to install dev tools means that it's bloated?

I....have some bad news for you. You have to install dev tools on Linux and OSX too.
>>
>>54323985
>tearingless
>>
>>54327859
And it doesn't come with Windows bloat at least Pajeet
>>
>>54323985
You can't keep something you never had.
>>
>>54326208
>OS X is the OS you use if you want to be successful, rich, and get laid.

And Linux is the OS you use if you actually DO those things, instead of just wanting to.
>>
>>54323985
> proprietary apps
> no malware
>>
File: macbook-air-cutting-board.jpg (39 KB, 610x340) Image search: [Google]
macbook-air-cutting-board.jpg
39 KB, 610x340
>>54323985
>tfw people pay for over-priced cooking tools with silly exclusive botnet
>>
File: 1459234908921.png (152 KB, 335x525) Image search: [Google]
1459234908921.png
152 KB, 335x525
>>54323985
Go back to >>>/lgbt/
>>
>>54330686
fuck you spongebob
>>
>screen tearing
Found the AMD loser
>>
>>54324119
>>option clicking and one button mouses
two fingers ya dingus
>>no start menu
finder is based once you turn off the useless shit and make it applications only
>I've had apps crash this/make it hang and it's shit.
not sure how you did that honestly, but in terminal if you type killall systemuiserver or something like that it should restart it.
>>
>>54330717
Actually, I use nvidia. AMD drivers suck universally.
>>
>>54324033
Visual Studio

>inb4 b-but Visual Studio Code
It's not the same thing, niggers
>>
>>54323985
>His windows don't even snap.
>maximize doesn't fucking maximize
>Just enough unix to not act like unix
>>
>>54331221
>Visual Studio
Disgusting, people still use that shit?
>>
>>54331242
maximize 'maximizes' since at least 2014
and there are various programs for window snapping
and why isn't it acting unix, it's more unix than linux or free/openbsd
>>54331221
OS X has xcode. Samely bloated, samely neccesary.
>>
>>54327164
While I agree with most of your points, some are wrong too. Like you can't judge OS X for embedded terminal, because linux (/gnu) doesn't have any by default at all. And AMD drivers on linux are much worse than on OS X. I agree on FS though, i mean OS X snow leopard preview HAD ZFS support, and one could even format and use it in a system HD.
>>
>>54327165
While looks are subjective, most people prefer aqua out of all DEs and OS. Vulnerabilities are not malwares and are quickly patched by apple, linux got them too. OS X doesn't ship with outdated coreutils, it ships with BSD. I guess i can agree with you on these points. Yet, OS X IS most feature rich system. Here, I found a somewhat stale copypasta:
For me its how everything is neatly organized and how much stuff os x has built in. Does your de have/can it perform:
*Boolean searches
*Built-in text summarizer
*Built-in PDF editing tool
*Full emoji support
*Being able to preview video and audio without external programs
*Creating files by dragging n dropping text
*Such an advanced notification system
*All apps going with one guideline
*All apps supporting high DPI without breaking
*Quickly calculate something by typing it into search
*Built-in dictionary so you could select any word and get definition without external programs
? And that all is just a fraction of all the features in 16 years of evolution of OS X.
>>
>text is unreadably blurry
>turn font smoothing off
>it doesn't really turn off
wew lad

>close a program's only window
>program doesn't close
whoa laddy

>try to change cursor
>can't
whew laddo

>make dock hidden on the left side of the screen
>osx reserves 4 pixels on the left for it, forcing you to manually resize every single window to fill that space or be pissed off by that useless strip of wallpaper
hwhew ladderino

>try to cut file in finder
>you can't, instead you have to copy it and then paste it while holding the option key (which is really the alt key) to retroactively change your copy command into a cut command
wow laddéy

>want to change window theme
>options are colour or greyscale
whoo laddinator

>want to disable "[app] is an application downloaded from the internet. open it?" message
>only way to do so is with an undocumented super duper secret terminal command
woah lass

i could go on. i've used osx intermittently since 10.4 ("tiger") and have experienced every 10.X iteration of "the world's most advanced operating system" since then, including el capitan. it's shit.
>>
>>54331420
>Vulnerabilities
>quickly patched by apple
ayy

>OS X doesn't ship with outdated coreutils
lmao

>OS X IS most feature rich system
baka desu senpai
>>
>>54323985
>no productive apps
>apps

Please, die.
>>
i don't like blurred text
>>
>>54331440
>close a program's only window
>program doesn't close
That's an OS X paradigm, and people should be using command W/Q anyways.
>try to change cursor
>can't
>want to change window theme
>options are colour or greyscale
Use external programs
>try to cut file in finder
>you can't, instead you have to copy it and then paste it while holding the option key (which is really the alt key) to retroactively change your copy command into a cut command
You said that you can't but later said that you can. And that way is much better because if one cuts a file on windows and copies another one without pasting preview, it gets deleted. OS X way is better
>text is unreadably blurry
>turn font smoothing off
>it doesn't really turn off
Turn it off in terminal.
>want to disable "[app] is an application downloaded from the internet. open it?" message
>only way to do so is with an undocumented super duper secret terminal command
>Use linux
>everything, even installing programs is using secret terminal commands
>>
>>54331468
application is a suite of small programs, gets shortened to apps. fuck you faggot.
>>54331464
>OS X doesn't ship with outdated coreutils
I just said in my post that it does
>OS X IS most feature rich system
>Does your de have/can it perform:
>*Boolean searches
>*Built-in text summarizer
>*Built-in PDF editing tool
>*Full emoji support
>*Being able to preview video and audio without external programs
>*Creating files by dragging n dropping text
>*Such an advanced notification system
>*All apps going with one guideline
>*All apps supporting high DPI without breaking
>*Quickly calculate something by typing it into search
>*Built-in dictionary so you could select any word and get definition without external programs
>? And that all is just a fraction of all the features in 16 years of evolution of OS X.
>>
File: 1456619500455.jpg (109 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1456619500455.jpg
109 KB, 900x900
>>54331533
>>*Full emoji support
>>
>>54331569
can linux or windows press a shortcut and shitpost emojis? Launching external apps doesn't count.
>>
>>54331589
Why the fuck would I want to use, or even see emojis?
>>
>>54331615
because you may like to communicate
>>
>>54331724
>chrome
>>
>>54323985
>>
>>54331756
>shamefully hiding your bookmarks
>>
>>54331748
>autism
>>
>>54331810
><>
>>
>>54326396
>not using Safari when using OSX

please anon, reconsider
>>
>>54331850
>using a browser worse than le edge/IE
>>
>>54331817
>emerald fishposting
>$CURRENT_YEAR
>>
>>54331868
but all gecko based are SJW shit
all chromium based are botnet shit or just bloated shit
IE/EDGE = botnet
safari is the only good browser, apparently.
>>
>>54331498
>That's an OS X paradigm, and people should be using command W/Q anyways.
sure. i don't like it, but that's true.

>Use external programs
you shouldn't have to do that. osx bills itself as the world's most advanced operating system and this is an incredibly basic feature. windows has this built in. mate, xfce and lxde (the only linux DEs i've used) have this built in.

>You said that you can't but later said that you can. And that way is much better because if one cuts a file on windows and copies another one without pasting preview, it gets deleted. OS X way is better
i said you can't cut a file, which is true. you can't select a file and press command+x to cut it, you have to copy it and then "paste+cut" it. although that comes down to semantics, so sure. i just tried that "cutting a file and then copying another deletes a file" on my computer (windows 10). i cut "folder 1", then copied and pasted "folder 2". "folder 1" didn't get deleted.

>Turn it off in terminal.
i did. it's mostly disabled, but not entirely. you shouldn't have to use terminal to do this anyway, especially not when there's a system preferences check box for disabling font smoothing (that only reduces it).

>>Use linux
>>everything, even installing programs is using secret terminal commands
from what little linux experience i have, that's not true. installing a program in debian is done with this command:
(sudo) apt-get install (program)

this is intuitive. "apt" is the name of the package manager, "get" means get the program, "install" means install it, and the rest is self-explanatory. most common distros include a gui-based package manager such as synaptic anyway.
disabling the "app downloaded from the internet" message in osx is:
defaults write com.apple.LaunchServices LSQuarantine -bool NO

this is not intuitive. neither is the command to "disable" font smoothing:
defaults -currentHost write -globalDomain AppleFontSmoothing -int 1
>>
>>54331967
I think that these apple commands are intuitive. it writes to defaults' entry a int or a boolean. Intuitive.
>>
>>54324193
Taking a decade to get a 2nd mouse button and you're proud of that? Lol
>>
>>54332012
in that sense, yes, but how are you supposed to know which default is meant to have what value for an int? if you were told in system preferences "you can access more security commands by changing LSQuarintine defaults", then yes, it would be fine. you're left to figure this out on your own, find the answer on google, or wade through apple's development documentation. i haven't checked the documentation personally, but i'm fairly sure it wouldn't be a user friendly tutorial.
the point is, these shouldn't be terminal commands. they should be system preferences settings, in the same way that mouse sensitivity or keyboard repeat rate is.
>>
bought epic dual core g5 2ghz with a 7800gt. months later apple went intel. apple dropped ppc support after 10.5.

after their terrible support with ppc and the g5 i ditched apple.

from what i can tell apple still shits on their consumers. latest "mac pro" doesn't offer any sort of upgradability. you can't even upgrade the hard drive in it let alone adding a secondary or third.
>>
>>54332049
you could always use an external mouse
>>
>>54332299
connect via usb
>>
>>54331850
>no webm support
>no ublock origin support
>>
No right click, dumb UI, dumb everything. Windows is superior.
>>
File: 1460860801187.png (203 KB, 800x689) Image search: [Google]
1460860801187.png
203 KB, 800x689
>>54323985
Why should I pay for a shitty fork of FreeBSD, when OpenBSD+FreeBSD is free?

If I'm going to use a proprietary OS, I'd rather use the one that has major compatibility with everything, that is, Windows 10.
>>
>>54332398
right click since 1st version, windows is dumber
>>
>>54332410
OS X is free since last decade. and it's a fork of BSD 3.something. and read the image. it applies to free/openbsd too.
>>
>>54332398
>Windows is superior.
loving
every
laugh

One could say OS X is shit, but Windows is the bigger shitheap
>>
- Homebrew is shit, doesn't hold a candle to even apt
- Drivers for my hardware are fine, sure Linux limits your hardware choice a bit, but OSX vastly more so.
- I haven't gotten screen tearing in a long time. Pick your hardware right.
- Productivity : Most of the tools I use are available on OSX, but the OSX versions are worse ports.
- DE/WM : Opinion, I personally can't stand using OSX, I always have to full screen a terminal and work from there since I find the GUI awful.
- No games : Plenty of games now, and can get a graphic card to run them without hackintosh, or paying a shit ton.
- X is awful.
It works, and is pretty damn convenient, x forwarding is very useful, and it has a ton of awesome tools.
Things like separate mappings and sensitivities for different keyboards/mice, scripting the mouse to move with keyboard buttons, all easy to do.
Works for me, never got why people hate it so much, just let the distro maintainers wrangle it.
>>
HFS+ can only access one file at a time

really
>>
With Windows you can upgrade PC components and save tons of money when looking for performance enhancement. Mac OS X...not so much.

Mac OS X is also designed for absolute computer illiterate retards, Windows provides much more customization to UI elements.

Windows also has a ton more great software. It's the more popular operating system for a reason:it's simply the better choice.
>>
>>54332588
u wot m8
>>54332589
install OS X on a regular PC? And does that make the OS comparison go like Windows > OS X > Linux?
>>
>>54332589
It's the more popular operating system because it's for tech illiterate retards who can't handle a *nix-based system.
>>
>>54332611
Examples of modern file-system features not supported by HFS+:

nanosecond timestamps
concurrent access (let more than one process at the time access the filesystem)
checksumming
snapshotting
longer time frame (February 6, 2040 for HFS+)
sparse file support
real hard links

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HFS_Plus

It can only access one file at a time, bro.
>>
>>54332589
>Windows provides much more customization to UI elements.
Not any more
>>
>>54323985
I’d just like to interject for a moment. What you’re refering to as Mac OS X, is in fact, BSD/OS X, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, Mac plus BSD. Mac OS X is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning BSD system made useful by the BSD corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the BSD system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of BSD which is widely used today is often called “OS X”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the BSD system, developed by the BSD Project.

There really is a Mac OS X, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Mac OS X is the UI: the program in the system that creates the pretty graphics. The UI is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Mac OS X is normally used in combination with the BSD operating system: the whole system is basically BSD with Mac OS X added, or BSD/OS X. All the so-called “Mac OS X” versions are really distributions of BSD/OS X.
>>
>>54332423
>it's free
>if you bought the overpriced HW
Applel has always been primarily a hardware company anyway
>>
>>54332766
but it's free on hackintosh too
>>
>>54323985
Because of reasons
>>
>>54331284
>maximize 'maximizes' since at least 2014
Wow, truly game changing
>>
>>54333331
i liked previous maximizing anyways.
>>
>>54333419
me too. sentences look like hell when they stretch across a screen.
>>
>.DS_STORE
>>
>>54333522
>thumbs.db
>linux file managers forgetting folder settings
>>
>>54326142
citation needed, or fuck off to >>/reddit/
>>
>>54331768
>2016
>using bookmarks
>>
>>54323985
Because I don't want to also
>best OS
>>
>>54333707
the person i replied to used them, but deleted their post and reposted the image without them
>>
>>54333561

Thumbs is only one file.

Ds_store is created for EACH file trashing your hdd in the process
>>
>>54333734
ds store is created for each folder
>>
File: 1461472141363.jpg (43 KB, 690x460) Image search: [Google]
1461472141363.jpg
43 KB, 690x460
>>54333522
>__MACOSX
>>
>files starting with dot in home folder
>>
>>54328006

it's clear that you're butt hurt but there's no need to show it
>>
>>54334377
>6 hours to reply
Damn homie, took you that long to get over it?
>>
>>54334183
This
.config, .cache, and .local are the only acceptable dotfiles
>>
>>54323985
linux does everything i need it to.

>gaymes
kvm + windows
or simply dont waste your life.

osx really is the most superfluous operating system.

honestly, i think maybe audio in a performance environment is the only real reason to run osx bare metal (if at all)... if only because the current popular software offerings dont run on linux, certainly it isnt preferable to linux for performance reasons.
>>
>>54334745
>no good, professional proprietary apps
>>
>>54331569
>Stone age babby doesn't want proper unicode implementation
>>
>>54334783
there are none that cannot be virtualized save for the aforementioned.
>>
>>54334745
>linux does everything i need it to
>like run windows
lincucks are actually this fucking delusional
>>
You don't know the pain of using Linux until you have to use 7-zip in Wine to extract a file
>>
>>54324119
I agree with the motherfucking menu bar, but you can swap the modifiers on os x.
>>
>>54335154
use terminal, pleb
>>
>>54334877
>strawman

for personal use, there is no reason to run windows bare metal
>>
>>54323985
I will be. I'm getting an iPhone first though
>>
>>54335405
ewew
>>
>>Why the fuck would I want to use, or even see emojis?

>because you may like to communicate

This is so sad.
>>
OS X isn't botnet? i find that hard to believe lel
>>
http://www.cio.com/article/2868393/linus-torvalds-apples-hfs-is-probably-the-worst-file-system-ever.html
>>
File: american morals.jpg (311 KB, 1322x876) Image search: [Google]
american morals.jpg
311 KB, 1322x876
>default shell is bash

fucking dropped
>>
Quality pic OP. Is that OC?
>>
>>54331258
t. NEET
>>
>>54337927
yee
>>
>>54337780
>gah i hate smily faces or emotions
>>
I would be using OSX if I had a job that needs me to run a program from home that can't work with Linux. Otherwise I'm very happy with Ubuntu. I don't play games so I give no shits about Windows. Distrowars and crying about Mac/Windows is really dumb. Just use what works for you.
>>
>>54324119
You know that the whole reason double-clicking is even a thing was because of apple's shitty one button mice
>>
>>54335154
1.Open terminal
2. Get into the folder where the zip file is stored
3. Type unzip <filename>
4. ???
5. Profit.
>>
>>54335154
Dude what?
>>
>>54324089
>Bildschirmfoto
>>
>>54338033
You know that the whole reason GUI is even a thing was because of apple. Also they are the reason why you can't paste in terminal with ctrl-V -- windows and unix GUIs copied the shortcuts off, but apple has command instead of control.
>>54338039
what if the file isn't zip?
>>
>>54338064
Why would you need 7zip instead of the built in utilities?
>>
File: 1459981442776.jpg (864 KB, 1991x3000) Image search: [Google]
1459981442776.jpg
864 KB, 1991x3000
Convince me to ditch OS X for something else.

1) My laptop is a MBP (it was a gift).
2) Other than a C compiler, the unix stuff that I need is already installed by default. As soon as I typed in 'gcc' I was prompted to automatically fetch and install Clang and other command-line development tools if I desired.
3) Interface looks pretty good by default. It's not the absolute nicest looking thing ever but I personally found ricing linux a waste of time: too much hassle for what its worth and you get stuck in a never-ending upkeep/tweaking cycle.
4) Runs Microsoft Office.
5) Apps work across my desktop and phone (messenger, contacts, ebooks) and I can take calls on my laptop.
6) Safari has the lowest battery use of any browser (I tested them all) and works perfectly with the sites I use (I haven't run into a broken site yet). Extensions are unfortunately limited, but uBlock installs fine.
7) The best feature for me: easy and useful trackpad navigation by default. Example is virtual desktop swipes: swipe three fingers up to show all my virtual desktops, three left or right to switch between them.

inb4 'freedom'

Yeah there's some shit stuff like HFS but it literally doesn't make a difference to my day to day use. The only thing that does affect me is .DS_Store pollution, which is annoying but easy to deal with.

alias rmds='find . -name ‘*.DS_Store’ -type f -delete'

Finder is also pretty bad, but I honestly don't use it much and it's good enough for when I do.
>>
>>54338056
sieg heil hitler
>>54338069
idk ask the original poster
>>
>>54338064
>You know that the whole reason GUI is even a thing was because of apple.
Did you mean Xerox
>>
>>54338075
install BetterFinder or how its called
>>54338087
if not apple, GUIs'd be an obscure things. and xerox didn't have shortcuts
>>
>>54323985
My gripes with Macs so far:
1) I _had_ a Mac. It managed to fuck up its own filesystem twice. How? Don't ask me, I only asked it to copy video files from HDD to a iso image on the same HDD. Had to take the HDD out, plug it into a Linux PC and run fsck on it. That was 10.3.9 though, things might have improved since then
2) My father has one. I have no printer and asked him to print me a .pdf file (some documents I needed in a hurry). They opened fine on Linux, they opened fine on Windows, but MacOS X refused to print any text. My fathers solution? Import the pdf files in _PHOTOSHOP_ and print the result.
3) this is more of a Matlab problem, but it only happens on Macs, so here we go: https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/answers/130711-why-am-i-unable-to-start-or-install-matlab-on-my-mac-pro-2013-or-newer-with-two-thunderbolt-displa
Solution? Disconnect the second monitor and don't reconnect it as long as you're running Matlab
>>
>>54331589
Of course you can use fucking Unicode on literally any half decent os from the last decade.
>>
>>54338064
>what if the file isn't zip?
Why would you use something that isn't tar.(INSERT ANY COMPRESSION METHOD HERE) or zip? If something is packed in e.g .rar, it probably isn't targeted for Linux, and even if so, there is WinRaR for Linux (at least in Debian repos) which is for extracting only, so you keep your freedom, hence you don't need to agree to some bullshit EULA and stuff desu
>>
>>54338104
did he open pdf in adobe reader or preview.app?
>>
>>54331768
>wasting space
>>
>>54338123
>using bookmarks bar at all
>>
>>54324036
Been wanting to do this, any preferred tutorials?
>>
>>54338121
I'm guessing the preview.app, I don't think he's installed the adobe reader. But frankly I have no clue and he wouldn't know the difference anyway so there was no point in asking - I wasn't there when he did all this, as I sent the files via email and asked him to print them while I drove to his place to pick them up.
>>
>>54338150
who needs tutorials? imma tell you how i did that
1. find an OS X install image. Find one that's straight from mac app store
2. Partition an USB and install clover on one partition (read arch wiki on clover) and OS X files on another, restore the install image using a tool like transmac.
3. boot from usb and install OS X
4. boot from usb into OS X on HD and over there install clover on the hard disk
5. PROFIT!
Keep in mind that is the best case scenario (intel cpu with nvidia 600 and 700 series GPU). Google if there are any errors. Nvidia publishes drivers for all their gpus, but you'd have to install them later
>>
>>54338175
it's unfair to compare adobe reader (presumably) and preview.app.
>>
>>54338193
cont.
also there are free tools to make that easier, like bootdiskutility.exe, and hackintosh probably won't work on a lot of Motherboards. Find supported mobo list on something like tonymacx86. and you'd have to download sound kexts later too.
>>
>>54331420
>quickly patched by Apple
This is a joke right?
>>
>>54331284
It's not Unix at all, it just has a Unix certificate. Not a single line of OS X comes from Unix. Retards who spout "os x is Unix" have no clue what that even means.
>>
>>54338204
Linux opened the file with evince, Windows opened the file with Sumatra PDF. Both are open source applications. At no point did I compare adobe reader and preview.app
>>
>>54338280
actually, there is a very high chance some of the lines actually come from research unix
Unix -> BSD -> Nextstep -> OS X
>>
>>54323985
Os x is great. The build quality is really good, but I wish Apple would stop updating the entire operating system every year and just focus on making the current one better. Every time they try to race for their yearly deadline of releasing a new OS, it just becomes buggy, messy and includes more problems than the last one. Last great os for os x was mountain lion. It was great and it just werked.
>>
>no vivado
>no ise
>>
>>54333638
I should have written past tense instead since I did buy a thinkpad for 1/10th of the price which does what I need.
>>
Honestly?
Because upgradeable hardware
>>
>>54338675
install os x on a normal PC
>>
File: 1450550956005.jpg (31 KB, 638x540) Image search: [Google]
1450550956005.jpg
31 KB, 638x540
>>54335154
>using wine
>ever
>>
File: whogives.jpg (38 KB, 429x398) Image search: [Google]
whogives.jpg
38 KB, 429x398
>>54323985
filtered ;^)
>>
>>54339277
senpai outironicallymemed me
>>
But OP I am
>>
>>54339552
>graphite
blue is better.
>>
>>54339929
Nah
>>
>>54339964
i mean i used graphite before, but then i realized that that's not how OS X is supposed to be
>>
>>54340002
I don't give a shit what it's "supposed" to be, it's my computer and I'll have the OS look the way I want. With the flat theme that 10.10 and up has, graphite looks better, so I use graphite.
>>
>>54340034
oh. i just use 10.9.5 and think graphite is a bad theme
>>
>>54340197
Yeah on older versions I use Blue. Why so outdated?
>>
>>54340230
i just like those silky smooth icons and buttons and other GUI widgets. and i head non-retina font rendering is worse in later versions.
>>
>>54340259
Fonts looked worse in the 10.10 dp but iirc it was fixed by release, and the issues also not present in 10.11
>>
>>54323985
because I'm using the best OS of the last 20 years: GNU/Linux
>>
>>54323985
I'm too poor for apple.
>>
>>54341425
What Linux distro're you using?
>>
>>54341546
kek, even kid working at McDonald's is capable of getting a Mac
>>
>>54324013
>>Because Mac OS X plateaued at 10.6 Snow Leopard
>>Because it's all downhill from here

This. And they are dropping support for it now.

>>54326311
>Because it hasn't been good since 10.6.

Exactly.
>>
osx power ranking:
everything up to system 7 a shit
os8 nice
os9 super nice
everything up to 10.2 a shit
10.3 good but nostalgia good
10.4. good
10.5. nigger tier shit
10.6. ELDER GOD TIER
10.7 up to yosemite shit
el capitan okay
>>
>>54342301
>10.5
>bad
I can't decide which is the best OS X, but it's definitely either Tiger or Leopard
>>
>>54342796

Snow Leopard brought true 64 bit and performance improvements.
>>
>>54324036
I've been thinking about installing hackintosh on my computer. Ubuntu 16.04 has really been "grinding my gears" lately with it's bugginess.
>>
>>54323985

What's the name of those characters? I've seen them in here several times, the green one is funny.
>>
>>54324089
>how to take a screenshot on your mac
>repairing permissions
>>
I kinda miss my games, but the rest of Windows is not on par with OSX.

At all.

Like I tried switching back to Windows and I used that piece of shit for a decade and a half. Now I can't. Dual booting blows too. I'd rather just not play videogames.
>>
>>54328209
This. And yes, I'm being serious.
>>
>>54342928
>dualbooting
Can't you just use parallel and have your wingames on your mac, I mean I doubt you were even playing anything that graphically intense where this would be an issue
>>
>>54342987
No, I'm using hackintosh. Which years ago didn't work so well but now for me it's been working near flawless. (what doesn't work is shit I don't happen to use)
>>
File: 1449458375682.jpg (60 KB, 544x468) Image search: [Google]
1449458375682.jpg
60 KB, 544x468
>>54324089
>niresh
>>
>>54331891
Safari is just as botnet and probably more sjw than all other browsers.
>>54342301
Mac os 9 was the single worst os I have ever used.
>>
>>54343062
>Mac os 9 was the single worst os I have ever used.
nigga i will fight you
>>
>>54323985
>>
>>54343036
pretty sure parallel can also work on hackintoshes desu
>>
>>54343100
Oh, didn't know. I guess I should try it.
>>
seriously as a linuxfag myself, I really like os x font rendering (or fonts?). Tried packages like infiniality before but none of them can replicate os x rendering. I agree that os x has lots of retarded parts but font rendering is definitely not one of them. Does anybody know which font pack and/or font rendering related modifications do I need?
>>
>>54338075
>Yeah there's some shit stuff like HFS but it literally doesn't make a difference to my day to day use
It will make a difference someday when the filesystem decides to shit itself. I've used all three major OSes for long periods of time and the only one where I've seen a corrupted and irrecoverable volume is OS X. And fucking twice. Keep backups.

>>54343212
OS X font rendering is nothing special nowadays, Mavericks was the last version with good font rendering. Nowadays it's very blurry, and I use OS X daily for several hours. You'll have guaranteed eye pain at the end of each day. And it only looks good on Retina/HiDPI displays, but all OSes look good with HiDPI displays.
>>
>>54331420
>Useless bullshit
As a macfag I have to ask, who gives a shit? When will I ever use a goddamn text summarizer or emojis?
>>
>>54331420
Adobe took their time to support hDPI on their tools.
>>
I always enjoyed this fucking wallpaper.
>>
>>54342802
10.5 supports PowerPC
>>
Macfag here. OS X is inferior to Windows 10, just my personal experience. YMMV

>Significantly worse filesystem.
>Inferior software compatibility.
>Way more RAM usage, i.e. bloat. That's the main way Apple keeps its planned obsolescence rolling. Heavy usage of compressed memory even when unneeded means slower response times when resuming apps. Be prepared to buy a new computer every 3 years if you plan to do anything intensive.
>The OS is a black box. You'll see processes and you'll google them and nobody actually knows what the fuck are they for. Troubleshooting is hard even when you have the technical skills. Microsoft is more transparent about Windows, and you can even fine tune obscure details with Group Policies and the registry.
>Important bugs go unfixed sometimes for several versions. I.e. wifi bugs. Of course you can't downgrade your wifi drivers to an older, working version like you can do in Windows.
>Blurry font rendering.
>Since El Capitan, worse battery life than Windows. The OS sometimes is too stupid to stop indexing files when running on battery.
>Significantly worse development tools:
>>Visual Studio versus Xcode, or as I've been calling it, 1 GB of RAM needed to just open an HelloWorld project
>>.NET and C#, a language used in desktop applications, the web and the enterprise, versus Swift, a meme language only Apple uses
>>Powershell, a well documented shell, with understandable commands, that can easily access the whole .NET ecosystem vs UNIX, an OS invented in the 70s for teletype-attached mainframes
>>
>>54343760
You had me up to
>Powershell vs. Unix
>>
>>54343760
>he never learned Unix.

You don't belong here.
>>
>>54327178
It sucks, but it doesn't suck as badly as linux or windows on a thinkpad.
>>
>>54343760
>>>.NET and C#, a language used in desktop applications, the web and the enterprise, versus Swift, a meme language only Apple uses
.Net and C# are the Microsoft equivalents of Swift dipshit
>Powershell is better than UNIX
Oh I see, you're just trolling
>>
>>54343793
>>54343792
UNIX shell fucking sucks. I'd rather script my OS in python than use a micro-optimization mistake from the 20th century.
>>
>>54343865
Your retardation is showing
>>
>>54342858
reddit frog and feels guy
>>
>>54324119
>I've had apps crash this/make it hang and it's shit.
better than at the fucking window itself
>How do you even launch shit that's not on the boogie bar? Finder? It's shit.
>Oh god, I actually have to go SEARCH for the thing I'm looking for??? OH NO!!!!
you can also put the application on the """boogie bar"""
>just lol
>HE DOESN'T EVEN KNOW HOW TO RIGHT CLICK
IT'S JUST TWO FUCKING FINGERS KEK
TWO
FUCKING
FINGERS
IS ALL IT TAKES TO DO A RIGHT CLICK
HOLY SHIT I AM LAUGHING AT YOUR LIFE RIGHT NOW KEK
>>
>>54338064
>Also they are the reason why you can't paste in terminal with ctrl-V
Yes you can you lying fuck
>>
>>54343793
I did, that's why I say it's shit.
>>
>>54323985
I can't do GPU pass-through on OS X
>>
>>54344674
ah, yes. And that is why Microsoft is incorporating *nix like features in their OS. Meanwhile everyone who administers windows servers hates powershell.
>>
>>54328094
But I do thing in OSX.
>>
>>54344674
>HE ACTUALLY LIKES POWERSHELL
KEK
>>
>>54338280
It's genetic Unix, same as *BSD members.
In otherway, almost no Unix today has code of the original.
Unix is more an idea than a product in this times.
>>
>>54339552
>powerpc G5
Hnnnggg/10
>>
File: nido.org_1460857865985_n.gif (11 KB, 501x585) Image search: [Google]
nido.org_1460857865985_n.gif
11 KB, 501x585
>>54341425
>linux
>best os for a desktop system
>>
>>54334858
>I run linux bare metal, but I run all my applications in windows and OSX virtual machines
there's got to be a better way
>>
>>54338132

>not having bookmarks appear only on your start page where you are most likely to use them.
>not having them turned off otherwise for screen real estate
>being this much of a cancer filled pleb.

kill urself baka senpai
>>
>>54338280
>>54344797
>people are actually proud of the idea that their operating system is running code written 40 years ago
>these same people like to shit on x86 for being as old
autism
>>
>>54327208
you aren't anonymous you mong
>google captcha
>google analytics
or
>credit card information
>>
>>54344885
it is about having a good design.
Before people were spouting object oriented applications and scalable structure, we had small applications. Applications were filters.
Because resources were sparse. people were not trying to scale things up, people looked at how to scale things down.
I know times have changed, but these tools are still really good.
Obviously they only really dealt with text, but a lot of tasks is exactly that.
>>
>>54326208
>want
>not be
Thread replies: 241
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.