[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I can't think of what I should have for a personal website.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
I can't think of what I should have for a personal website.

I'm not looking for a new job right now, but obviously I should have some form of website for stuff. Considering that I do web development as a career.

And the last time I had an actual website (other than something with a bunch of links and nothing else) was maybe 5-10 years ago.

Help?
>>
>>54322642
I'm in the exact same boat. I feel like I should have some kind of a personal site, but fuck me I have no idea what to actually put on it.
>>
>>54322642
>obviously I should have some form of website for stuff. Considering that I do web development as a career.
Personally, if its for web dev career, having a solid GitHub presence would be better.
Having your own website is no different from gloating your achievements on GitHub.
>>
>>54322689
Well, I do have a Github account, but not much in way of web projects.
>>
>>54322715
Then I would advise to work from that angle, to get something up on your GitHub first. It could be a small shitty script, or even better, a contribution to large open source projects. By the least, when you have a website, these GitHub shit could be put on your website.

There are alternatives, but I am strongly against them. For one, you could start another pajeet IT blog 2.0, or use a template from html5up and pretend to be a competent hipster front end full JS meme stack developer. Pardon the tone, I've been dealing with these shit a lot.
>>
>>54322903
I also have a lot of repos that I've contributed to in the form of a pull request or two, and a few personal projects (that may or may not be web-related.)

I guess at the least I could have something that pulls in from GitHub/Twitter/whatever?
>>
>>54323126
>I also have a lot of repos that I've contributed to in the form of a pull request or two, and a few personal projects
These contributions must be those that you are confident with. Prospects might press more questions on these.

Assuming you're set there, if you do intent to get attention from prospects, all that is left is web design and content.

The end goal of a personal website for career is no different from a resume, to sell yourself. Whether you pull content from other services is up to you. If anything, services like Twitter can only aid them in contacting you.
>>
>>54323404
At the same time, I want to have the personal website to also have not-career stuff, like drawings (of anime girls I must admit), photography and other crap like that.
>>
>>54324024
If you are fine with being associated with them, there is no harm. Just make sure its legal.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.