[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello linux users. I've been using Ubuntu as my main OS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: download.png (713 B, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
download.png
713 B, 225x225
Hello linux users.
I've been using Ubuntu as my main OS for 6 months but I can't find any good DAW's for Linux. Wine is shit, can't run Ableton or FL Studio with low latency.

I need a reason to keep using Linux instead of Windows.
Arguments like:
>botnet
>enjoy your spyware
>enjoy your "x"
>GNU/Linux copypasta
don't count
>>
>>54322405

SO YOU JUST HAVEN'T HEARD OF BITWIG

WELL YOU SHOULD TRY BITWIG

BITWIG WAS DESIGNED BY DISGRUNTLED ABLETON EMPLOYEES, IT'S PRETTY SIMILAR, EXCEPT THE FINE MODULATION AND AUTOMATION ABILITIES ARE EASILY, EASILY THE BEST IN EXISTENCE RIGHT NOW. FOR REAL. NO DOUBT ABOUT IT.
>>
File: 1450869116760.jpg (2 MB, 1224x1632) Image search: [Google]
1450869116760.jpg
2 MB, 1224x1632
>>54322405
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux,
is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux.
Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component
of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell
utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day,
without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU
which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are
not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a
part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system
that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run.
The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself;
it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is
normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system
is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux"
distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>54322405
last time i used Ubuntu was like v4.xx
back then i used to use VM for pretty much everything. Kinda grew bored of lack of stuff on it so went back to windows, dont care about botnet or anything. Like M$ would track someone from a 3rd world country in europe kek.
Anyways no regrets and im using W10 right now. I do occasionally miss using Ubuntu, the 3d cube desktop was a cool feature.
>>
>>54322405
You have no reason to use Linux if you are not a PC enthusiast (or a hobbyist that loves to manually install operating systems) or if you have nothing illegal to hide.

Personally I like GNU/Linux, but I prefer a simpler OS that is Windows.
>>
>>54322437
I'm terribly sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just.Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just.Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.
>>
>>54322405
Just run a VM for these programs.
This is what I do for Photoshop, work pretty good
>>
>>54322425
Bitwig is pretty bad dude.

All hype and nothing to show for it.
>>
>>54323444
He wants low latency.

And I'm just going to assume he's not running a server built for virtualisation.
>>
Shoul I fap and sleep or should I learn more about function pointers in C++ to help me boost my journey to become indie game developer?
>>
>>54322447
>v4.xx
ubuntu make a new release every six month.
Every two years, that release has long term support (LTS), so you get updates for 5 years.
The last LTS was called 14.04 which means it was released 2014, april (4th month).
That might be what you were using.
>>
>>54323514
dude, bitwig is incredible.

>>built in controller scripting, lets you do anything with any controller. anything. better than traktors.

>>complete inter-routability of all modulation sources, to fucking *anything*. ableton is already BTFO by orders of magnitude in this regard.

>>complete ability to use any audio or midi source to key or sidechain any other control. holy fuck.

>>vastly more powerful audio routing and mixing setup. multiple buss mixing? no problem.

>>downsampling takes literally a quarter of the time it takes on ableton. sampled rearrangement becomes a breeze.

>>functional with any and all plugins, 32, 64, it eats them. gl with that waves shell on ableton.

>>better master summing than FL studio.

>>way more intuitive keyboard shortcuts. i can keep my hand in one position without stretching. its more like fretting than pressing.

>>superior double key window switching allows you to use full screen midi rolls or full screen mixer mode without wasting screen, having to squint, or losing track of what you're doing.

>>better visual and metering. more simple and more powerful layout.

>>drawing in automation is way more intuitive and accurate.

bitwig kicks ass. i used FL studio since fruity loops 5. switched to ableton 7 when it came out. tried bitwig out and it blew me away.
>>
>>54322405

>work with DAW
>using linux

For fucks sake!
>>
>>54322405
Try those. If you're not happy, install Windows.

http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/apps/daw_apps
>>
>>54322405
My recommendation is to not limit yourself, seeking "the one DAW to rule them all".
>>
>>54324016

I WOULD SUGGEST THAT IT'S BETTER TO LEARN ONE TOOL WELL

THE PROBLEM WITH ABLETON IS THAT IT HAS A VERY QUICK LEARNING CURVE BUT VERY LOW CEILING. IT CAN DO THINGS FAST AND EASY, I STILL USE IT TO PRODUCE BULK RISERS AND SWOOPS AND SWOOSHES AND SNARE ROLLUPS AND SHIT, BUT TO BE QUITE HONEST FAMILY IT'S WEAK, EXCEPT FOR LIVE PERFORMANCE USING SAMPLES AND CLIPS, AND EVEN THAT IS PRETTY EHHHHH

FL STUDIO IS INCREDIBLY POWERFUL IF YOU'RE WILLING TO LEARN AND GET UNDER THE HOOD BUT I HATE ITS SUMMING.

I DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT FOSS OR REAPER BUT DON'T REALLY CARE TO, I'VE HEARD AND SEEN GOOD THINGS ABOUT STUDIO ONE BUT IT SEEMS KINDA DADCORE IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN. YOU WOULDN'T BE HERE IF YOU'RE USING SONAR OR LOGIC. PRO TOOLS IS JUST SILLY POWERFUL, IT CAN SYNC TO LITERAL FUCKING SPACE SATELLITES FOR LIVE STREAM RECORDING AND SHIT. TOTALLY UNNECESSARY FOR ALMOST EVERYONE. AIR IGNITE IS COOL FOR COMING UP WITH IDEAS AND BASIC ORCHESTRAL SAMPLING. AND SEQUOIA, FUCK SEQUOIA. ADOBE AUDITION IS GOOD FOR MASTERING.
>>
>>54322405

Install Windows or OS X, fuck!
>>
Bunch of faggots in here...
I use ardour for recording and mixing. It has pretty much everything I need. Some calf vsts on top and you're set.
If you want something like FL Studio use lmms. For drum programming hydrogen is just awesome as well.

Also use jack and real time kernel.

I am recording/mixing/mastering on Linux for 4 years now.
>>
>>54324346
Thank you! I will try those
>>
>>54324083
Shut the fuck up
>>
>>54322405
Ardour
>>
>>54325946
This or LMMS maybe?
>>
Other than the botnet meme there really isn't a reason to use linux.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.