[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the superior solution from a developer point of view?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 1458865374260.png (39 KB, 321x322) Image search: [Google]
1458865374260.png
39 KB, 321x322
What's the superior solution from a developer point of view?

A dozen of small, cheap to make unrelated tools that only solve one small specific problem.

A general solution that does the same all those dozen unrelated tools make but in a nice one big package.

I learned the hard true by experience after three years of being a self taugh programmer.
>>
Which ever is the quickest to learn.
>>
>>54322313
we're talking about an original solution from scratch.

we're talking about developing software anon.
>>
>>54322323
How about knowing enough about what you're doing that the tools don't matter, as should be the case
>>
>>54322260
The second, because the small tools won't be usable for any other use case anyway and with the big single solution you get rid of the interfaces between them.
>>
>>54322489
what if you're trying to solve a new problem that lack tools?

are u even a programmer?
>>
>>54322260
second option only works when you know what tools you need or need in the future
>>
>>54322516
>dissing the unix philosophy
why are u on this board?
>>
>>54322260
The first is obviously always preferable.

This is the UNIX philosophy, this is object orientated programming, reusability and modularity are what paradigms evolve into for good reason.

read Code Complete
>>
>>54322260
Your operating system + a dozen tools together make a nice one big package.
>>
>>54322260
Look OP, do you want a big ass multi tool that can do anything but only mediocrely, or do you want a toolbox of tools that each do one thing, and do it well.
>>
>>54323225

Oh boy, sign me up for the mediocre clusterfuck tool! It's the future of tomorrow, today.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.