[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>I want to be an idea guy. There's this super awesome
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5
File: indie devs.jpg (46 KB, 720x542) Image search: [Google]
indie devs.jpg
46 KB, 720x542
>I want to be an idea guy. There's this super awesome idea for a game that will make me millionaire, it's like skyrim mixed with minecraft, grand theft auto and five nights at freddies. I don't know how to program or do art btw but my ideas will take me far.
>>
>>54322019
I'll be the team lead! We'll need 10 graphics programmers, 10 regular programmers and 10 graphics artists. None of you guys will be paid, but we will all share the profit
>>
There is nothing wrong with the code in the OP
>>
>>54322089
It's written in Java you donkey
>>
File: 1458486481717.jpg (26 KB, 300x198) Image search: [Google]
1458486481717.jpg
26 KB, 300x198
>>54322089
>>54322102
>>
>>54322019
>I wanna be idea guy
>like noone ever was
>I heard you're ripe for exploit
>to reap fame is the cause
>>
>>54322019

For those people I just tell them I'm only good at designing logos.
>>
File: 1441832150120.gif (495 KB, 194x172) Image search: [Google]
1441832150120.gif
495 KB, 194x172
>>54322102
>>
>>54322019
I'll make the logo
>>
The enraging thing about idea guys is that a lot of them are dead serious. They don't realize at all that programmers make fun of them and have heard similar pitches a million times before. They also tend to think that they deserve a majority share of the profits (if they'll ever exist) just for being the idea guy.

99% of these idea idiots have no real ambition for the idea they want to pursue. They just want fame and money. They really don't give a fuck about producing "the next Facebook" or "the next Call of Duty". What they really want is to think of themselves as some Steve Jobs type businessman. They probably spend countless hours staring in the mirror and practicing fake cable TV interviews where they answer questions about how it all got started, how they came up with the idea, and why they're so successful. As soon as they face any real challenges where other people don't do all the work, they abandon the idea. They really give zero fucks about the project.

The "Idea Guy" Cycle.
1.) Rip off a successful product (Facebook, some video game, etc.) but make a slight tweak so that you can claim your idea is "unique".
2.) Try to recruit others to work for free.
3.) Spend 3 months fighting about the name and logo.
4.) Abandon idea.
>>
>>54322384
NOW I HAVE A WEBSITE IDEA THAT WILL BE A SOCIAL MEDIA BUT WILL BE NOR FACEBOOK NEITHER TWITTER. BUT YOU WILL BE ABLE TO POST IMAGES OR STATUS ON IT.

HOW'S IT ANON? CAN YOU PROGRAM ME THAT?
>>
function getTomorrow(_callback) {
setInterval(function() {
return _callback(Date.now());
}, 24 * 60 * 60 * 1000);
}
>>
File: 1461299831881.png (77 KB, 694x801) Image search: [Google]
1461299831881.png
77 KB, 694x801
>>54322522
>not just posting the pic

You're not fooling anyone.
>>
>>54322089
The code will return the value 102 as an odd number.
It's technically sound code, but it's easy to break.
>>
>>54322019
That is cool and all but we need a logo.
>>
>>54322550

I really like this solution.
>>
Man I've worked with trained programmers who do this. It's like they just really don't want to succeed at anything, or they're bored of programming.
>>
>>54322384
I know three idea guys
one has an idea that's actually genius and might make him rich
and the other two are just retards that wanna make a semireligious tshirt company
>>
you can be the idea guy..... if you were born rich and start your own company.
>>
File: Hamster 4.jpg (30 KB, 575x450) Image search: [Google]
Hamster 4.jpg
30 KB, 575x450
I'm an idea guy! But in the audiovisual field...
I have plenty of ideas for programs too, and they could be nice if they ever come to exist.

But I understand this perfectly, idea guys who have no clue what they're doing are utter shit.
And it's not only because they are delusional, but also because they don't understand limitations and actual possibilities.

They will tell you "I want the game to have a sword fight!" instead of explaining it in terms of mechanics/development.
They will say "just do it like in this program here!", and not bother whether it's a simple task or not.

But you have to remember idea guys are important, too. There are lot of codemonkeys with no goal to their skills and, even worse, some of them have the same lack of tact as bad idea guys and keep trying to reinvent the wheel.

In MY area, there are lots of good draftsmen who can't write a story that is not Dragon Ball Z to save their lives.
Awesome writers who can't put a visual representation of their ideas clearly.
Great animators who can't help themselves but to dream of their next Ghibli movie.

I always shape my ideas to what is possible to do, trimming everyone's dreams with the blade of reality
I think that's the main difference and why people even listen to me.
>>
>>54322102
C# dear boy
>>
>Idea guy

Are you prepared to work out every minute detail of your game, right down to "what does NPC #5702 say when you talk to him?" and "what happens when item X is used in circumstance Y?"
>>
>>54322089
dear god are you a troll or is this really /g/?
makes me glad I never go into the /dpt/s if that's the programmer quality around here
>>
>>54325269

That's clearly a troll. Although a good portion of /dpt/ is shit, we're not THAT shit.
>>
>>54322019
>I want to be an idea guy.

I tried making a game with my friend once. Unfortunately, he only wanted to be an idea guy and wanted me to do all aspects of the game development. Problem was, even as an idea guy, he wasn't even able to describe his ideas to me precisely. He even paranoid about other people (and possibly me as well) stealing his "great ideas" because he put his written ideas in a locked box in his room which only he has access to.
>>
>>54322384
>What they really want is to think of themselves as some Steve Jobs type businessman.

What coincidence, my "idea guy" friend worships Steve Jobs as well.

2.) Try to recruit others to work for free.
Yep.

>4.) Abandon idea.
My friend didn't really abandon his idea. Four years later, when I made an app, he asked if I used his idea. I was like WTF?
>>
>>54326201
well, did you?
>>
>>54326225
No, I did my own conceptual work. His idea was about a person escaping an asylum filled with zombies. He didn't describe anything further than that.
>>
>>54326269
So what if you used his idea? It isn't like had a contract or anything.
>>
>>54326269
He's an ideas guy; you don't get worked up about those people.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.