[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/hpg/ - Headphone General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28
File: 1202893437407.jpg (879 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1202893437407.jpg
879 KB, 1600x1200
-- PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE --
http://pastebin.com/hjHkKDyM

Asking "Hey guys, what's your opinion on x?" is frowned upon.
Wireless is frowned upon.
Headset requests are frowned upon.
Isolation ≠ Noise cancellation
If you dislike a headphone suggestion, try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked instead of going "hurr, brand x sucks"

>/g/ wiki headphone FAQ:
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread: >>54280773
>>
First :)
>>
2nd for zeos and reddit :D
>>
>Budget: <$110
>Location: Canada, but willing to buy online from USA
>Source: My computer
>Preferred type of headphone: Full-sized
>Open or closed: Closed
>Comfort level: pre damn comfy
>Preferred tonal balance: dont care
>Preferred music: ambient, post rock, dont really care
>Past headphones: shitty gaming logitech g430 headset. i just want good headphones for not too expensive, also will i need to buy a sound card?
>>
>>54314775
Take a look at XPT100.
>>
>>54314775
Brainwavz HM5 senpai
>>
File: hpg.png (1 MB, 1892x635) Image search: [Google]
hpg.png
1 MB, 1892x635
Not first
>>
>Budget: $80
>Location USA
>Preferred type of headphone: full sized
>Open or closed: closed
>Comfort level: Don't care
>>
>>54314958
Takstar Pro80
>>
>>54314958
you can get 2 porta pros for that
>>
>>54314979
Not closed.
>>
>Budget
$100, not flexible
>Location
freedom land
>Source
a sony receiver, don't know the model name but i was plugging my current cans into a fiio e10 and the reciever sounds better and definitely louder
>Preferred type of headphone
full sized
>Open or closed
open
>Comfort level
doesn't matter
>Preferred tonal balance
bassy or v shaped
>Past headphones
superlux hd 681 evo, got them when they first came out had them ever since, before i had random "gaymen headsets" which all sounded terrible. my evo's i love to death but the band finally broke
>>
>>54315013
SHP9500
>>
>>54314986
They're closed enough. Hell, my senn's leak more than them. You only get leak if you turn them up to deafening levels.
>>
>>54315034
>They're closed enough.
>Zero isolation
Pick one.
>>
>>54315063
pick...what? Have you even used porta pros on a regular basis or are you just stirring the pot?
>>
>>54315074
Do you not have any understanding of what the term "isolation" means and trying to shift the point of the discussion from portapros complete lack of it to one based upon personal experience?

If I told you I have owned three portapros and a set of KSC75 which have the same drivers but are clip on would you actually participate in the discussion about portapros complete lack of isolation and thus failure as being an appropriate suggestion for a request to purchase closed headphones?
>>
>>54315028

those look super comfy but i have a stupid question

i have a modmic, will that magnetic sticky pad work well on that mesh? and not interfere with anything?
>>
File: 1441570632954-1.jpg (62 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1441570632954-1.jpg
62 KB, 480x480
I'm curious, what would has been the best experience in listening to music you have ever had (via headphones)? Share some stories if you have any.
>>
>>54315121
IIRC it uses a plastic grill. The only metal is in the headband so you'll need to switch to a different method like a velcro dot.
>>
>>54315154
I have literally no idea
>>
Do I need a dac/amp for my HD598s?

Currently using the default dac/amp on my motherboard, sucks but nothing I completely can't live with
>>
>>54315189
give an album or something, have you ever cried to anything or something?
>>
>>54315210
Did you just get your HD598s?
>>
>>54315223
no, had them for a few months now
>>
>>54315117
>Do you not have any understanding of what the term "isolation" means and trying to shift the point of the discussion from portapros complete lack of it to one based upon personal experience?
are you done being retarded? You hear more leak with a closed full headphone than with a fucking portapro. I remember when I was a schoolboy and was in the computer lab and people could hear me playing my iron maiden on closed sennheiser headphones. They knew what song it was. Now, no one can hear what my porta pros play, and when the music is on, I cant hear them unless something like a fire alaram goes off etc
>>
>>54315235
I'm ordering mine this week and was wondering if you could let me know about the burning meme? Also tell me how much you like if you can. I feel like a faggot.
>>
>>54315289
> burning

There is no driver burning. Burning is 3 things

1 - Your brain getting used to the sound as time passes
2 - The headphone itself gets looser and clamping force diminished
3 - The pads get softer, lose their stiffness, so the driver gets ever so slightly closer to your ear changing the sound a tiny bit
>>
>>54315210
They're just 50ohm which means they don't need. However, if your motherboard has a big output impedance than an amplifier with a tiny output impedance (like the fiio e10k) might make them sound truer to what they really sound
>>
>>54315358
>an amplifier with a tiny output impedance (like the fiio e10k) might make them sound truer to what they really sound
please nobody fall for this
>>
>>54315375
?? whats wrong with fiio e10k
>>
>>54315358
what about a Fiio X3 DAP on high gain do me good?
>>
>>54315289
They're my first >$50 headphones so I wouldn't know how they add up

There is no burning, they sound the same
>>
>>54315395
> high gain

You only need high gain for 600ohm headphones and other headphones with very little sensitivity

But yea that's good
>>
Where should I by the XPT100s?
-Amazon
-Nvx.com
-Sonicelectronix.com
>>
>>54315483
>for 600ohm headphones and other headphones with very little sensitivity
>and other
impedance and voltage sensitivity are different things and high impedance headphones are not always low sensitivity. high impedance headphones are also an easier load on the amplifier.
>>
>>54314640
That's a p. cute anemone you got there
>>
>>54315681
>impedance and voltage sensitivity are different things
Yes

>high impedance headphones are not always low sensitivity
That's what I was trying to say

>high impedance headphones are also an easier load on the amplifier.
Didn't know this but I don't understand what you're saying. You mean an 80ohm headphone is easier to drive than a 32ohm?
>>
>>54315782
less current draw = easier on the amp = better control over the transducer
>>
>>54315792
Oh I see what you mean, makes sense.
>>
>>54315267
>are you done being retarded?
Yep. You're trying to make the discussion personal rather than discussing the issue of isolation.

>I remember when I was a schoolboy and was in the computer lab and people could hear me playing my iron maiden on closed sennheiser headphones. They knew what song it was.
Maybe you should stop turning your music of up to 11.
>>
>>54315289
>if you could let me know about the burning meme?
Burn-in is debateable. Some people argue it is psychoaccoustic which is retarded in my opinion. Everything you hear over time only sounds worse never better. Some say it is the seal but that doesn't explain how you can run headphones in your sock drawer and notice an improvement after a couple hundred hours of pink noise.

There is at least one study that show some measurable differences during a burn-in experiment with a brand new set of Q701 but nothing that can be isolated.

That plus my own personal experience means in my opinion it is real.
>>
Very interesting article
>>
>>54315972
>you can run headphones in your sock drawer and notice an improvement after a couple hundred hours of pink noise.
this has literally NEVER happened to anybody. claims otherwise are just from retarded placebophiles who don't know what they're talking about and also claim cables sound different.
>>
>>54315581
Whichever is cheapest (including shipping) with a decent return policy.
>>
>>54315972
>There is at least one study that show some measurable differences during a burn-in experiment with a brand new set of Q701 but nothing that can be isolated.
nice citation, is this what you consider actual citation as well?
>>
>>54315988
>this has literally NEVER happened to anybody.
Right. I tell you my personal experience you tell that I didn't actually do that. What a persuasive argument you present.

>>54316003
No citaiton was presented. It was a comment. Learn what a citation is before you start talking about citations.
>>
>>54316017
>Learn what a citation is before you start talking about citations.
why don't you actually cite something instead of saying 'oh btw there's like a study somewhere backing up my opinion, also in my opinion i am right because of my personal experience which is not only limited but also incredibly biased'
>>
https://rbt.asia/g/?task=search&ghost=&search_text=It+almost+hurts+to+be+right+so+often

reminder to report any posts from this shitposter so the threads can be cleansed.
>>
>>54316043
>why don't you actually cite something
Why would anyone provide a citation before what they asserted was questioned? Am I supposed to treat anonymous on /hpg/ like a bunch of ignorant retards who are not aware of the study commented upon?
>>
>>54316071
innerfidelity articles are not 'studies' and tyll's methods do not isolate the transducer at all, the headphones are still subject to physical changes which will affect the sound.

also stop trying to imply innerfidelity is a valid source to cite.
>>
File: YJLTG2.jpg (144 KB, 658x799) Image search: [Google]
YJLTG2.jpg
144 KB, 658x799
>>54316071
>Complain about citation
>Pointed out how you have no idea what a citation is
>Abandon claiming any obligation to cite anything
Unlike you who will never have the sense to know when to stop posting I do.

You sir, hung yourself plenty in the last thread. You even responded to a post but tried to hide the response by not linking it and this is still early in the thread so I should restrain myself from helping you shit it up.
>>
>https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/4gzose/science_and_objectivism/
>posted by somebody involved in audiology

>Science works the same way. A single paper’s conclusions are not objective truth. When there are many papers, approaching the question from many different angles, all coming to the same conclusion, we have evidence to suggest that the answer we agree on may be correct.

>There is no scientific paper that claims to be absolute truth, there never has been and there never will be. Science has never definitively proved anything, and will never definitively prove anything above the level of "beyond reasonable doubt". Everything could be an act of God, or an advanced reality simulation by aliens. No one is capable of 100% disproving these claims, ridiculous as they are.

>There is no such thing as a 100% statistical significance level.
Research on auditory phenomena is very young. We don’t know shit about how we hear, never mind how the brain processes this information (psychoacoustics).

>There is not yet a generally accepted auditory threshold that can be applied universally. The more artificial and controlled the testing condition, the less applicable the results are to real life. There is a fine, but very critical line between academic speculation and a claim of fact. Please read the paper again because I guarantee it’s not a claim of fact.

>later suggests that because neural mechanisms of sound localisation are still unknown, there is a chance multibit can alter soundstage

Fucking hell, idiots like these being subjectifool apologists are the worst. Now the those idiots have something to rally around.
>>
So the JVC HARX700 I bought for my brother to replace the shitty duracell branded earbuds he was using for gaming had the 3.5mm jack snap off on the end. He claims it randomly failed but I bet he did something retarded.

Anyway, he loved them and wants to know if he should just get another pair or if there is something similar thats on the market.

>Budget
<50$
>Location
US
>Source
PC w/ no dedicated sound card (no mobo buzz though)

>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
High, bulky is fine
>Preferred tonal balance
neutral, but good bass would help
>Past headphones
JVC HRX700

Also does anyone have experience with good 3.5mm ends? I want to try a re-solder first because at this point they are fucked already. How easy is it to do this?
>>
>>54316061
autist has been spotted here >>54316141

fire away
>>
>>54316153
Then the only reasonable conclusion to reach is that issues like burn-in are debateable? And that anyone who concludes one way or the other without presenting said conclusion as a personal opinion is an idiot?
>>
>>54314792
Looks very nice, thank you. Will I need a sound card?
>>
>>54316324
>Sensitivity: 100 dB
>Nominal Impedance: 64 Ohms
Just about anything more than a lemon should be able to drive them.
>>
>>54316218
Reading closely, the guy seems to only be building cochlear implants rather than a trained acoustician. Not in a position of any authority to make such judgments, I'd say.

He also claims that research using listening tests are useless to determine thresholds because we don't have a complete neurological model of hearing.
>>
>>54316462
>Not in a position of any authority to make such judgments, I'd say.
He seems to argue against exactly making any judgments/conclusions.
>I guarantee it’s not a claim of fact.
The closest he gets is about general principles of science and scientific consensus.
>>
>Budget: <$140
>Location: Canada
>Comfort level: i just dont want it to be uncomfortable
>Past headphones: shitty gaming headset.

i just want good headphones for not too expensive, also will i need to buy a sound card?
>>
>>54316548
Earlier requests asked for something similar and the results were:
Takstar Pro80
NVX XTP100
BrainWavz HM5
>>
>>54316601
All of those are not available in canada at all, I cant even order it from the USA to my address.
>>
>>54316646
You can get a rebrand of the Takstar Pro80.
https://www.amazon.ca/Gemini-HSR-1000-Professional-Monitoring-Headphones/dp/B006Y2BI04/
>>
>>54316646
Also you can get the Brainwavz but they're a bit over your budget.
https://www.amazon.ca/Brainwavz-HM5-Studio-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B006MA9XXM/
>>
Do you think if there were more competition for better audio quality the prices for high grade headphones would get lower?

The way I see it, the only reason why good headphones are expensive as all hell is because it's still a niche market, the headphones you see in walmart and shit are only for consumers who just wants to listen to shit, but not for consumers who actually cares about the audio quality to such an extent that they're willing to look at measurement charts and what drivers they use etc.
>>
>>54316706
>Do you think if there were more competition for better audio quality the prices for high grade headphones would get lower?
You think there isn't enough competition? Just to name the big names off the top of my head: Sennheiser, AKG, Beyerdynamics, AudioTechnica, Sony, Grado, Ultrasone (hyuk!), and Fostex. Then we have boutique headphone manufaturers like Audeze and Mr. Speakers.
>>
File: Ear.jpg (18 KB, 335x285) Image search: [Google]
Ear.jpg
18 KB, 335x285
What is the best way to clean the insides of your ears? I think I have channel imbalance and it pisses me off. Help.
>>
>>54315929
the music was at normal volume. Do you have any real points or are you just ...?
>>
>>54316706
There is competition, it's just very slow and headphone manufacturers don't really give a shit cause there's really nothing to compete aside from creating good headphones.

What you're suggesting is for these guys to come up with bullshit to up the competition, something like "hurrr these headphones emit radio waves to dedicated satellites to transmit higher fidelity audio to your mp3 player for higher quality music!" to get people to buy their product over something else.

Right now mid-fi headphones IS essentially the competition. good headphones but at affordable costs. They're trying to make their headphones good and offer it for an enticing price. But they can't make it... TOO good. Why? Because these headphone manufacturers also happen to sell the far better headphones that go upwards to around $1000. They can't make headphones that sound just as good as their $1000 headphones, it doesn't make sense.

If you ask me, it's the "audiophile" $1000 cans that is poisoning the prices for good quality headphones.
>>
>>54316768
I use a mixture of one part warm water and one part hydrogen peroxide. Tilt your head over to one side and squirt it in one ear. Let it sit there and loosen up an wax for about five minutes. Drain into a towel and repeat on the other side.

>>54316770
>the music was at normal volume.
Sure it was. Either you had the volume up to loud or you had a weak seal. Regardless you still haven't addressed the point about isolation which clearly you are not going to as it is not a "real point." Given your admitted cherry-picking I see no point in trying to present inconvenient facts to you as you're going to maintain your delusions.
>>
>>54316768
Have a doctor do it
>>
>>54316818
your avoiding. closed backs leak. everyone knows that. Isolation i already addressed : if you go into an environment where you're listening to car horns and jackhammers no matter what you have on your ears you will still hear....something. Something from the outside.

otherwise, your music will cover it up.
>>
>>54316548
>>54316646
Honestly, I don't care if they are open or closed at this point. So:

>Budget: <$140
>Location: Canada
>Open or closed: Doesn't matter
>Comfort level: i just dont want it to be uncomfortable
>Past headphones: shitty gaming headset.
>>
>>54316665
Those do look very good, I'm just a little iffy about the reviews regarding its "comfortableness"
>>
>>54316881
See >>54315028
>>
>>54316878
>if you go into an environment where you're listening to car horns and jackhammers
Because that's where people usually go when they listen to their headphones. Not the bus or on an airplane. . .

That's not a response to the issue. You presented the extreme example as if it is the regular one.
>>
>>54316921
thats not even the best example. For instance (this actually happened and is a common scenario) my neighbor is having construction on his house for about 1 month. They use all types of engines, caterpillar, jackhammer, etc. My sealed headphones didnt save me bro. I could still hear that shit. To "isolate" like you say i had to drive to a different location entirely.
>>
>>54316972
>thats not even the best example.
Who said anything about "best" example? I believe I said "regular usage."

>my neighbor is having construction on his house for about 1 month
Because house constructions happens "regularly?"
>>
>>54315117
>>54316972
Get some Etymotic ear dildos. They block out a nuclear explosion.
>>
I just wiped the inner part of my earphones with a tissue and straight away the volume on them is almost inaudible unless I hold them right next to my ears, putting them in makes them inaudible. If I take off the earbud bits and put the earphones in my ears the volume's all normal again. What did I do and how do I fix it?
>>
>>54317009
Some people want to block out sounds without raping their ear canals.
>>
>>54315154
First time I realised how good my phones were was listening to awolnation on flac
>>
>>54317030
Sounds like the tip is folding as you insert it for some reason. Try straightening it. Use the opposite hand to pull up on the ear as you insert the IEM (or try foamies).
>>
>>54316995
that is regular use. everywhere in my city there's construction. i have neighbors on 4 sides, always building or fixing shit. Are you moving the goalposts?
>>
>>54317035
Well if you wanted to do that you would need to get those safety construction ear muffs and then earphones.
>>
>>54317050
>that is regular use.
Yeah, no. Listening to your music during a daily commute isn't regular use. Listening to it during a once in a blue moon house construction is regular use and seeking out construction sites around town is "regular use."

You sir, are a retard.
>>
>>54316486

>argue against making any judgments

That's an argument he is not in any position to make. I don't understand why current research isn't compelling enough to show why expensive amps and exotic DACs aren't needed. All I see is a false authority trying to defend subjectivist bullshit.
>>
>>54317056
Because you cannot get 20dbs of isolation with a good set of closed cans?
>>
>>54317095
It's an argument you agree with but you want to disagree with the point because he is not an authority in your eyes?
>>
Just bought a pair of superlux hd681s. Did I fuck up??
>>
>>54317105
Yeah. I see what you mean. DT770 does 20db easily.

>>54317145
Ear rape highs just like HD800.
>Did I fuck up??
If you bought them for over $20 then yes.
>>
>>54317167
I paid 40$ with shipping
>>
>>54317048
Gave it a go and fiddled around some more but to no avail. I just switched over to my 7506s for the time being but thanks anyway.
>>
>>54317190
Just over $20 here. It was $17 a week ago. Very slow shipping tho.
http://www.gearbest.com/on-ear-over-ear-headphones/pp_270782.html
>>
>>54317116
I disagree with him claiming so little is known about psychoacoustics we can't make definite judgments about what is transparent and what isn't.
>>
>>54317212
I did pay about 11$ for two day shipping
>>
>>54317222
>only builds cochlea implants
It's your call if you want to be picky of which industry your pick and choose your audio engineers from.
>>
>>54317212
Still there probably better than 17$ sonys from bestbuy
>>
>>54303595
Any input?
>>
Okay guys, so I finally saved up enough money for some good headphones.

Budget: $300 US

Source: Laptop

Preferred type of headphone: Full-sized

Open or closed: Closed

Comfort level: Fairly comfy, willing to compromise though

Preferred tonal balance: Warm or Neutral

Past headphones: Sennheiser HD 439

Also should I get an amp or DAC in addition to the headphones?
>>
>>54317373
MSR7 or HP50
>>
>>54317396
ty senpai
>>
>>54317270
Guy's not even an audio engineer. Just some tryhard attempting to justify subjectivism just because there is no neural model of hearing.
>>
File: facepalm epic.gif (3 MB, 250x170) Image search: [Google]
facepalm epic.gif
3 MB, 250x170
>>54317494
Building an electronic device to assist people with hearing loss is not the work of an audio engineer. . .
>>
>>54317513
>facepalm epic.gif

kill yourself
>>
Budget: $42,000,000
>Location: California
>Source: I have a dedicated home setup listening room
>Preferred type of headphone: open full sized over ear
>comfort level: as comfy as it can be
>preferred tonal balance: unbiased
>past headphones: never bought one, thought I should put my listening room to good use after using it to store my wine, now it's just a wine tasting room.
>>
>>54317524
apple earpods
>>
>>54317522
>kill yourself
What a persuasive argument that is!

>>54317524
Orpheus
>>
>>54317524
>having a room just for tasting wine

it sounds absurd enough to believe
>>
>>54317552
>What a persuasive argument that is!

It's not an argument; It's a suggestion. Do I need to fucking repeat it?
>>
>>54317564
Thank you for admitting that you are incapable of any semblance of civility or maturity.

Don't leave mad. Just leave.
>>
>>54317513
One need not be trained in psychoacoustics to be in that line of work. He just claims to know audiologists.

Ignoring the dubious authority of the writer, I find that the piece completely dismisses the numerous ABX tests performed to date on audio electronics.

Honestly, trying to justify Schiit multibit just because we can't perfectly model spatial hearing, or that because thresholds have not been definitively determined, amps may in fact sound different in as yet unmeasured ways. A cop-out if there ever was one.
>>
>>54317582

Not >>54317522 by the way.

Are you implying that there is a possibility audible transparency has not been achieved?
>>
>>54317592
>One need not be trained in psychoacoustics to be in that line of work.
Let's get this straight. The guy deals with making audio devices to help specific individuals with their specific hearing loss issue and you say that his is not involved with psychoaccoustics?

Let's look up what psychoaccoustics is:
>Psychoacoustics is the scientific study of sound perception. More specifically, it is the branch of science studying the psychological and physiological responses associated with sound (including speech and music).
Hmm. I wonder if building cochlea implants does:
>A cochlear implant (CI) is a surgically implanted electronic device that provides a sense of sound to a person who is profoundly deaf or severely hard of hearing in both ears. Cochlear implants bypass the normal hearing process; they have a microphone and some electronics that reside outside the skin, generally behind the ear, which transmits a signal to an array of electrodes placed in the cochlea, which stimulate the cochlear nerve.
So it goes even more into psychoaccoustics or "how we perceive sounds" by stimulating the same response as a person with normal hearing.

I think I'm going to do exactly what was asserted before about this guy. Call you a tryhard attempting to justify your subjecivism of who is and is not an expert on psychoaccoustics.
>>
What smartphone has the best DAC right now besides the HTC 10?
>>
>>54317663
So do you think amps/DACs can sound massively different?

>>54317663
Assembling cars at a plant does not require an automotive design degree. Design and construction are 2 entirely different things. One does not need acoustics training to build/make such implants, but only to design them. Are you an ESL speaker?
>>
Related to the post above.

Do you think a motherboard and external dedicated dac/amps sound massively different?
>>
>>54317785
>Assembling cars at a plant
How is that in any way analogous to what the guy does in building a cochlear implant? Because they both build something? Let's just overlook all the significant differences such as scale, process, scope, etc?

Not only can you not be civil or mature you cannot be rational either.
>>
>>54317802
Depends on the motherboard. The biggest complaints with onboard sound is hiss/interference. For example, I think it was last week we had someone asking about an external DAC because his soundcard would hiss every time he moved his mouse.
>>
>>54317778
Somewhere between Sony and Samsung
Vivo and Xiaomi if you want to chink shit
>>
>>54317804
He just assembles the damn thing; that doesn't require knowledge on how to stick it in the ear, or the mechanisms of hearing. He was later challenged with citations by someone who knows psychoacoustics on being so tentative. There was only handwaving; no robust rebuttal on why audible transparency has not been achieved.

Your way of writing marks you out as the clueless subjectivist that lurks every thread and attempts to challenge scientific citations with your own flawed interpretation.

Even discounting the provenance, as I said, his statement is incredibly flawed. It hinges upon the assumption that audible transparency has not been achieved which ABX tests contradict.
>>
File: 1457725647784.jpg (72 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1457725647784.jpg
72 KB, 1280x720
>>54317298
Anyone?
>>
>>54317860
>He just assembles the damn thing
If I understand things correctly this paper is written by Peter Dallos.
>Peter Dallos (born 1934) is the John Evans Professor of Neuroscience Emeritus, Professor Emeritus of Audiology, Biomedical Engineering and Otolaryngology at Northwestern University. His research pertained to the neurobiology, biophysics and molecular biology of the cochlea. This work provided the basis for the present understanding of the role of outer hair cells in hearing, that of providing amplification in the cochlea. After his retirement in 2012 he became a professional sculptor.
And you are claiming this guy just assembles the damn thing?
>>
>>54317524
HD600
>>
>>54317860
Would you like a bit more rope?
>>
Could any anon compare XB950 and M50X for me? I have xb but listened to m50x and they sound much clearer, sometimes even too sharp. Dont know if i made a mistake by not spending 60€ more and getting m50x
>>
Is this what daytime US looks like?

>It's not objectivism but rather subjectivism that is better!
>NO YOU FUCKING AUTIST

Who cares? Just post headphones you chucklefucks.
>>
Now I lay me down to sleep BUMP
>>
>>54317785
>Design and construction are 2 entirely different things
I wish they weren't. Architects are fucking retarded and don't understand how buildings work and why their shitty designs won't work.
>>
File: vox.jpg (85 KB, 773x1000) Image search: [Google]
vox.jpg
85 KB, 773x1000
>Budget
~150€
>Location
France
>Source
computer
full-sized
>Open or closed
Open
>Comfort level
i prefered better sound quality
>Preferred tonal balance
love bass ( i played bass guitar )
>Preferred music
MUSE, rammstein, rage againt the machin, lamb of gob, metalica, eluveitie, acdc, arch ennemy
>Past headphones
i still have a vox AMPHONE BASS red ( http://www.woodbrass.com/casque-ferme-vox-amphone-basse-rouge-p142093-af889.html?gclid=CKnev8XCuMwCFckV0wodh-IPag )
Can plug my bass guitar on it and listen to music to play cover
thank you for your advice =)
>>
>>54317919

Do you lack reading comprehension? The leddit user is neither Dallos himself or an audiologist. He is some hack who knows an audiologist trying to justify subjectivism with some cop-out article claiming we don't know enough about hearing to make objective judgments.
Jesus, why are you subjectivists all like this, grasping at straws to legitimize subjective listening.
>>
>>54319732
Stretch your budget a little to get HD598.
>>
>>54319741
>The leddit user is neither Dallos himself or an audiologist.
This all started with >>54316462 trying to discredit the author of the paper and the conclusions drawn from it. No one was talking about the redditor who posted the link to the paper.
>>
>>54319750
i can strech to 250€ / $ to get a very good sound quality
>>
>>54319732
>>54319764
Maybe Fidelio X2. As far as open headphones go, they are bassy.
>>
What do you guys think of the Beyerdynamic MMX2 for gaming?

They're $65 on Amazon right now.
>>
HD800? Z.

https://youtu.be/3jVSKCRSYRU?t=14m58s

I told you so. I had the same experience. They're not holy grails.
>>
>>54319854
it's not the same price ^^
>>
>>54319764
i have to get an external sound card to use the headphone ?Or it does not matter?
>>
>>54319854
>something something highs
Nothing new we didn't know before.
>>
>Budget around: £90
>Location: UK
>Source: Pc
>Preferred type of head phone: Full sized
>Open or closed: Open
>Comfort level: Don't care
>Past headphones: Shitty headset
>>
>>54319993
HD518 is the only decent open headphones in your budget I can find on amazon.co.uk
>>
>>54319760
I wasn't discrediting Dallos, only the user for being an apologist for subjective listening. In any case, the context of Dallos' article was, as someone pointed out in the comments, the neural part of it. The perceptual part of it is a mature science using methods such as blind listening tests.
>>
>>54319829
It's a dt234 with a microphone attached. I've heard them and they're a good gaming headset - good detail and imaging for the price, especially for FPS. Go for it.
>>
>>54318578
M50x have decent response, but not great detail levels. M40x commonly regarded as better, but you dun goofed by getting sony xb series for the nigger bass if you wanted clarity.

My suggestion is to check out sennheiser and beyerdynamic closed models. They're more natural sounding than AT models from my experience.
>>
File: Fail Marathon.jpg (153 KB, 500x722) Image search: [Google]
Fail Marathon.jpg
153 KB, 500x722
>>54320074
>I wasn't discrediting Dallos
Great job jumping into a discussion about it and not getting the point of the discussion. Really great job exercising those reading comprehension skills you criticize others for lacking.

>the neural part of it.
There's more of that stellar reading comprehension of yours. Apparently you missed the part of about "psychoaccoustics" which includes the neural part.
>>
File: techposting.gif (337 KB, 492x376) Image search: [Google]
techposting.gif
337 KB, 492x376
>>54314640
>Budget: $50 USD
>Location: NZ
>Source: Phone
>Preferred type of headphone: Looking foe earbuds
>Open or closed: N/A
>Comfort level: High
>Preferred tonal balance: Neutral
>Preferred music: Rock, Classic rock, ASMR
>Past headphones: Some Skullcandy earphones I was gifted, problem with them is that at low volume there is noticeable static which is bad for ASMR, and they stick out too much for me to sleep with them on.

Thanks
>>
Hi guise. I'm looking for a Bluetooth headset with noise cancellation. Not Bose, too expensive.
>>
>>54317874
There's no major difference. HE-560 is a little more uneven and inaccurate, especially in the treble.
>>
>>54320455
>Budget
>Location
>Source
>Open or closed
>Comfort level
>Preferred tonal balance
>Preferred music
>Past headphones
>>
>>54320488
I want very comfortable one. I'm from Uzbekistan. How much for a tonal balance?
>>
I know this is a headphones related thread but do you guys recommend any Mp3 players?
>>
>>54320604
What's your budget? Location? Storage needs?
>>
>>54320604
Fiio players (depending on budget) and Sansa clip are the go to.
>>
>>54320619
Budget around £100
Location UK
More than 16 GB is alright, micro SD slot would be a nice
>>
>>54320661
Cowon M2 comes with 32gb onboard and an microSD slot. Another option is the Fiio X1 which has no onboard memory but two microSD slots.
>>
When do you think headphone manufacturers will start selling DIY kits to make your own headphone from scratch with replaceable parts and such?
>>
>>54321045
AIAIAI
>>
>>54321124
>AIAIAI
>Here, please browse through our selection of actual shit, and pick out one that you think is the least shit!
>>
File: My Waifus, Setup, and Albums.webm (2 MB, 1500x1171) Image search: [Google]
My Waifus, Setup, and Albums.webm
2 MB, 1500x1171
>>54314640
Posting my thing just because.
>>
I didn't want to create a thread for this so I thought you guys would be the best to ask.

I'm looking for a Headphone Amp recommendation. Portability would be good as I intent to use it while commuting.

>Budget 40$
>Country: 2nd World, so all I get is Fiio and Brainwavz here.
>Headphones:Xiaomi Piston 3(primary), ATHMH50x.
>Device: HTC One M8.
>I have never used an AMP before.
>>
>>54317044
Hey man about awolnation ,I was looking for new music, just bought a pair of ath m50x headphones ( cmon on bash me ), checked out one of their albums, and realized that I love the genre they're playing , and will probably listen to them a lot, Thanks!
>>
>>54321306
>all I get is Fiio and Brainwavz here.
Both are good brands. Get whatever fiio you can afford that has the highest output and best connections.

Have you got a link to the store you're buying from? Or an amazon in a location near you?
>>
>>54321306
There's the tiny ass Fiio A1.
Don't know why you need an amp when your phone can power both of those fine.
>>
>>54315154
Silverchair's Frogstomp was my first album ever. Listening to it again on dt880's was the first time I really appreciated a good pair of headphones. Then on the hd600 it was better again, despite being recorded for a bunch of 16 year olds in early 90's Australia it's a great album.

I'm looking to buy hd650 or hd700. Gonna head to a local shop to audition some hd800 soon just to see what the fuss is about.
>>
>>54321397
>>54321416
Okay makes sense thanks, can you explain when an Amp would be required?
>>
>>54321434
Hard to drive headphones, usually reserved for home setups.
>>
Still waiting on my AT M50x to arrive. Never bought a pair of expensive headphones.
>>
>>54321571 Just got mine yesterday I think they're pretty good even more so If you compare their performance to their price. And the design is just lovely, make sure to look at them a couple times, when you stand up from your desk.
>>
>>54321590
I'll do that.
>>
>>54320233

The neural aspect of psychoacoustics is not very well-understood and of dubious relevance. Of more concern should the results of controlled perceptual testing, such as via ABX tests. Are you going to dispute the numerous ABX tests over the years to prove audible transparency? We don't need a neural model to show if an amplifier is transparent and to claim that such judgments cannot be made without a neural model is incredibly thick-headed.

You seem to always be posting when papers or objective measurements are being discussed to somehow try and push your subjectivist crap. Looks like we have a new belgian poster in our midst.

>>54321045
Never, because it'd be like those fucking idiots trying to mod T50RPs and sell it for much more. There is no way to QC and ensure consistency because the application of mods would be by hand and is an entirely arbitrary process.
>>
>>54321762
>There is no way to QC and ensure consistency

for interchangeable parts? Are you serious? If you're talking about the consistency of a sound signature, that's redundant because the very nature of DIY headphones would imply that every single headphone would most likely hold a unique sound signature due to the different interchangeable parts like the pads, the casing, the drivers.

And it's not 'modding' a headphone if you're buying each individual part yourself and sticking it all together, that's like saying I modded a PC because I bought all the components myself and put it together.
>>
>>54315154
I've always like Armin van Buuren's Imagine album, but I forgot about it for a while.
By the time I found it in lossless, I had gotten a pair of Denon AH-D5000 headphones and a SPL Auditor amp and a half-descent DAC. Hearing Imagine was mind-openingly good.
>>
>>54321801
Not even the guy you're responding to but you went full retard.
>>
>>54321951
>half-descent DAC
>half-descent
>descent

It's spelled decent.

Also what is a decent DAC then? One with twice the snake oil?
>>
>>54322305
saying something and saying the same thing but explaining why afterwards is two different things anon.
>>
>Budget
500€ flexible
>Location
Central Europe
>Source
o2/odac combo
Over ear
>Open or closed
Open
>Comfort level
6/10 at least
>Preferred tonal balance
As balanced as possible, with good bass and mids
>>
>>54322478
Sennheiser hd650
Hifiman He-400i
>>
>>54322654
> ever picking HD650 over the 400i
>>
>>54322654
What is the build quality on 400i's?
>>
>>54321801
The point is you are leveraging on the mass manufacturing capabilities of headphone companies to ensure competent QC. This element is completely absent when you are assembling it yourself, by hand.
>>
File: orig.jpg (42 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
orig.jpg
42 KB, 800x600
>>54322710
better than hd 560
>>
>reddit.com/r/headphones

http://imgur.com/a/icK8F
>>
>>54314640
Lads can you post your akg702 EQ charts for me to test/experiment with?, cheers.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (49 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
49 KB, 1280x720
I have an E07K/E09K combo, using Windows 10.

I keep getting pic related (not my screenshot, pretend there is a red X next to the sound icon) It will just happen at random and I have to reconnect it to get it working again, only to have it happen again at some point later. Sometimes it's 5 minutes, sometimes it's good for hours. Sometimes moving the E07K around on the E)9K will fix it without having to fully disconnect it.
>>
>>54324489
Definitely an issue with the wire try using a different one.
Or just plug in next USB spot.
>>
File: jxz2BEa.png (64 KB, 953x771) Image search: [Google]
jxz2BEa.png
64 KB, 953x771
>>54324489
Try disabling the power managent
>>
File: 1RcuCGu.png (20 KB, 400x455) Image search: [Google]
1RcuCGu.png
20 KB, 400x455
>>54324489
>>54324572
Other thing you can do is disable some (or all) supported encoded formats and see if it makes any difference.
>>
Well, well well. Zeos just gave HD800 a bad review, saying it was worse than porta pros. Is it true, kids?
>>
File: Sennheiser_HD%20800_fr_amp_c2.png (65 KB, 620x369) Image search: [Google]
Sennheiser_HD%20800_fr_amp_c2.png
65 KB, 620x369
>>54324652
Maybe. It's entirely subjective.
>>
>>54324688
what a waste of money. Guys buy em just for looks, right?
>>
>>54324739
Most people buy them because they are clueless idiots, but they're actually decent headphones if you know how to use an EQ.
>>
>>54324652
I knew Zeos will destroy them. Was waiting for it a long time.
He is like a demigod.
>>
checked wiki, had a lot of great info but I was wondering what's the best way to start getting into better quality sound?
>>
Is there much difference between IEMs and Full-sized in terms of ear health? Does one cause more damage over the other?
>>
>>54324957
iems cause the most damage
>>
>>54324948
watch Zeos reviews on YT and his reddit page
hall of fame /r/Zeos/comments/3ttvhy/guide_headphones_general_music/
read /hpg/ just for lulz
>>
>>54323145
senpai please...
>>
>>54325099
man thats some ugly
>>
>Wireless is frowned upon.

Why is this?

I fucking hate cables.
I'm tired of always rolling over a headset cable with my chair.
Last week I accidentally tripped over my cable while jumping up from my chair, which nearly tipped over my tower, ripped out the mic input jack, and broke the headset itself.
>>
>>54325367
>Why is this?
the signal gets compressed and loses dynamic range, the same as music over the radio gets compressed
>>
>Budget
the sky's the limit, but i'd prefer value over fluff
>Location
usa
>Source
computer
full size
>Open or closed
open
>Comfort level
i would prefer my head didn't feel like it was exploding, but i'm pretty tolerant to just about anything except earbuds
>Preferred music
rap / hiphop / heavy bass stuff
>Past headphones
gumy earbuds
>>
>>54325430
> heavy bass stuff
> wants open

Well, that's a challenge. The DT990 offer a ton of bass, but mids are recessed and the treble is ear piercing.
>>
>>54325430
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame#pUE3HbDxxxLlfrLl.97
>>
>>54325430
Fidelio X2
>>
File: 1419551548515.jpg (32 KB, 325x346) Image search: [Google]
1419551548515.jpg
32 KB, 325x346
>Budget
Up to $300
>Location
US
>Source
Phone
IEM
>Comfort level
No ear dildos pls
>Preferred music
Prog rock, shoegaze, trip hop
>Past headphones
SE215
>>
>>54321762
>The neural aspect of psychoacoustics is not very well-understood and of dubious relevance.
Holy shit. You DO want more rope. Well, I'm not interested right now.
>>
>>54325367
>I'm tired of always rolling over a headset cable with my chair.
Coil it up to length and zip/twist tie it.
>>
>>54325963
Etymotic ER4PT ($299)

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-ear-monitors#acP2IVtC2QUU4EyU.97

???
>>
>>54326251
>Etymotic ER4PT
>No ear dildos pls
Se425 or IE80.
>>
>>54326251
you might as well flush your money down the sink
>>
is this something worth looking at?
http://www.banggood.com/DIY-HIFI-Fever-Amp-Headphone-Amplifier-Kit-p-990438.html
i have k7xx headphones
>>
>>54326457
>i have k7xx headphones
What is your source? I thought those didn't need an amp.
>>
>>54326546
i'm using them off a Yamaha cr-400 receiver plugged into my computer (asus p5q pro motherboard) right now because regular output volume is pretty quiet. However they sound more "open" as in detailed when i plug them into my nexus 4, might have to do with the high output impedance of the receiver or something.
From what i have heard most of AKG's headphones including the k7xx need pretty decent amplification reach their full potential
>>
File: 00.jpg (24 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
00.jpg
24 KB, 600x450
Would anyone happen to recognize which brand/model this is?
>>
>>54314867
album top left?
>>
>>54326785
>i'm using them off a Yamaha cr-400 receiver plugged into my computer (asus p5q pro motherboard) right now because regular output volume is pretty quiet.
Interesting. IIRC, the specs list the sensitivity at something like 114mw and the resistance at 62ohms. . .

>they sound more "open" as in detailed when i plug them into my nexus 4
Be careful saying things like that around here. You might get shouted at by those who believe amplification is only for volume.

If you want a small DIY amp kit the only one I can recommend is the cmoy. I went mid-fi a few years ago and haven't looked back.
http://tangentsoft.net/audio/cmoy/
>>
HiFiMAN HE-350
i
F
i
M
A
N

H
E
-

Not bad for $99? I was looking at that AKG 7XX Special Edition but I just went for the HE-350 because it's much cheaper. Suggestions for a noice portable DAC/AMP for it? FiiO 10DK Olympus 2?
>>
>>54327948
For 99$ it's a bargain otherwise the 7XX would have been a much better option imo
>>
>>54327948
>Not bad for $99?
It looks pretty good for the price if you don't mind a bright signature.
>Suggestions for a noice portable DAC/AMP for it?
We don't know if it needs an amp yet.
>FiiO 10DK Olympus 2?
I assume you mean FiiO E10K. It's not a portable unit. The headphones are open, so why would you want that anyway?
>>
Budget: <70 euros
>Location: yurop
>Source: computer preferred jacks(4 of them for surround) but can into USB
>Preferred type of headphone: ones with good surround
>Comfort level: OK my last headphones were really heavy but that didn't really bothered me
>Good surround sound is the priority don't really care if it's simulated or not as long as it efficient enough
>Past headphones : Rocat Kave 5.1 had good surround but was really heavy (400 gr) and had crappy stereo but that didn't really bothered me
>Use: mostly gaming
>>
I need a replacement for my AKG K612 Pro.

>Budget
$150 - $200
>Location
Mainland USA
>Source
PC with Fiio E10K
Overear
>Open or closed
Open
>Comfort level
>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral - Analytical
>Preferred music
>Past headphones
AKG K612Pro. My right driver got damaged somehow and I've got to return them. Any suggested replacement?
>>
>>54327033
canton movie, maybe?
>>
>>54328374
I suggest you wait for them to get repaired.
>>
>>54328517
I bought them through Amazon, so it's a return. They're out of the model, so I'm kinda shit out of luck.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (134 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
134 KB, 1920x1080
>>54328302
> surround
>>
>>54328374
Wait for AKG K7XX on massdrop.
>>
>>54328374
The 702 are superior in every way
>>
>>54328569
thats what you get for getting shitty AKG
>>
>>54328630
Then is there anything with a similar soundstage in that price range?
>>
>>54328696
For 150-200 your best bet is K7XX from massdrop
Otherwise the K702
>>
>>54317044
>>54321429
>>54321951
>this fucking atrocious taste
>>
>>54328765
welcome to /g/
>>
>>54328792
Back off
>>
Recommendations on a pair for both music and tones (white noise and meditation tones) emphasis on tone accuracy.
Budget 150-200$
>>
>>54328868
No idea what you're talking about but HD598
>>
>>54328868
200$ for white noise :D
you can prof find >> http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame
>>
>>54328964
isn't that the guy where there's vids of him listening to something and looking like he's being tortured?
>>
File: Oh ok.webm (3 MB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
Oh ok.webm
3 MB, 720x480
>>54328996
Audiophiles :>'D
>>
>>54328868
Why would you want tone accuracy?

Most records are recorded in standard tuning. Everybody knows 432 Hz tuning is superior. That's why most high-end headphones adjust the record's tuning.
>>
>>54328996
Because they cost a fortune and are terrible
>>
What are some good headphones mainly for comfort?
I was looking at Beyerdynamic DT770's because I've read that theyre supposed to be all round quality headphones, and they look pretty comfy as well.
>>
>>54329059
sauce?
>>
>>54328868
See >>54328595
>>
>>54329139
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L34S4Tt1EuQ
>>
>>54329181
this is amazing
>>
One USB port on my Thinkpad makes my O2 sound crackly and distorted. The other USB port sounds perfect.

Is that normal?
>>
>>54329462
No. The USB only carries digital data. It should make any difference to the sound which port you use. Perhaps there is a power issue with the port that distorts?
>>
I have an alienware 14 (no h8 plz, was a gift)
should I get a new soundcard or is the stock one decent?
>>
>>54329622
Just get a Fiio E10K
>>
>>54329620
It's a used t420, so maybe.
>>
>>54329622
If you don't hear any issues (like hiss, clipping, distortion) then you don't need to get a new DAC.
>>
>>54314640
Are there any good quality IEMs that also happen to have a mic that are >$100?
>>
>>54329975
Fill out the form.
>>
File: CYk8BrvUAAAglUw.jpg (101 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
CYk8BrvUAAAglUw.jpg
101 KB, 1024x1024
I dropped my DT880 and the grillz got a dent
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 28

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.