[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why do you guys want people to use linux so bad?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4
File: fuck this.jpg (18 KB, 425x284) Image search: [Google]
fuck this.jpg
18 KB, 425x284
why do you guys want people to use linux so bad?
>>
>>54312683
Open source, free, (less) spying, etc.
>>
It's funny because if Linux was widely used /g/ would say it's shit and instead preach BSD.
>>
>>54312683
So their shitty excuse of an OS will get more users and the devs will then actually care about decades old bugs that is infesting the linux desktop.
>>
>>54312708
>Open source
Who cares if the kernel is open sourced?
Only nerds and the actual kernel devs will read it anyways
>>
File: vlcsnap-00001.jpg (280 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-00001.jpg
280 KB, 1920x1080
pic related.
>>
>>54312708
Linux is used worldwide, why wouldn't it be any less suspect to spying than windows, makes no fucking sense, do you think some government freak who is paid to spy on fuckers gives two shits about what OS you use if he needs to spy on your paedophilia habits?
>>
>>54312983
Thats why I included the (less)
>>
>>54313025
But how do you know it's less? State your sources
>>
>>54313054
Look, I realize that pretty much every OS is compromised at this point. But when you compare Linux to something like Win 10, which openly spies on you, even after disabling telemetry its a no brainer for anyone with any concern for privacy.

Its really a matter of choosing the lesser evil.
>>
>hasn't even been a full 24 hours since I switched to linux
>already ruined the system bad enough that I can't boot

I fell for the meme.
>>
>>54312756
Are you calling us a bunch of god damn hipsters?
>>
>>54313128
kek
>>
>>54313128
>Running as superuser
>he accidentally
 rm -rf / Pictures/Not_CP.jpg
>>
>>54312683
I want people to make their software compatible with Linux rather than just focusing on Windows support.
>>
>>54313223
Man I just wanted muh drivers
Instead all I got is some wild goose chase where I download one file and find out I need another file to make that file work, only for the file to need another file to work.
>>
>>54313283
>drivers
>download file
nigga wtf are u doin
>>
>>54313306
My gpu literally will not operate properly unless I modify the clock speeds. Doesn't matter anymore though. I'll just have to stick with integrated
>>
>>54312708
>free

never in my life payed for microsoft software, start being eastern european and learn to download shit, lad
>>
>>54313381
>he bought nvidia
>laughing_whore.png
>>
>>54313548
Amd actually.
>>
>>54313394
He meant free as in the sense of respecting your freedom to operate a program as you wish, distribute copies of said software, modify, and to study how it works.
>>
>>54313128
Dont install it if you dont know what the fuck you're doing
>>
>>54312683
Why do you want to use Win10/OSX so bad?
>>
>>54313128
YOU WANTED YOUR FREEDOM NOW LIVE WITH IT!
>>
Only reason why I use Linux is because it's fun to mess about with things. Only use it on my laptop, which I only use for web browsing and listening to music, as it's the only fucking thing Linux can do right.

Windows on my desktop.
>>
>>54312683
I just want that people use linux because it's the best option we got. Every software should be open source. That way maybe things will go on and improve for better and not stagnate
>>
>>54313578
>>54313381
>>54313283

If it's amd you can write/port your own drivers you cuck.
>>
>>54313926
Except I need catalysts to change the clock speeds, which is where the issue lies.
>>
>>54314156
So install the fucking catalyst drivers through your package manager

How fucking hard can it be? Jesus christ, in which country do they manufacture people this stupid?
>>
>>54314269
Wow oh man, thanks for the advice anon! I never would have thought of that, you really helped me out, I'll never forget this!
>>
File: kitano.jpg (478 KB, 1140x1054) Image search: [Google]
kitano.jpg
478 KB, 1140x1054
Based Kitano
>>
>>54314340
What card are you using? The only time I had problems was when I installed gpu drivers but my dumbass installed the wrong ones. Works fine now, r9 290 btw
>>
>>54314373
An XFX 280x with a fucked up vbios. It has some obscure issue that causes the motherboard to underclock it. And updating the vbios just leads to even more issues.
>>
Greentext is /g/, regular text is Windows user

>"INSTALL LINUX"
"Hmm, I'm not sure I like this, nothing works"
>"GOOGLE IT YOU PIECE OF SHIT"
"None of these forum posts actually help"
>"WERKS ON MY MACHINE YOU CUNT NUGGET"
"Okay, well...I don't think Linux is for me, sorry"
>"YOU'RE A FUCKING DUMBASS KYS"
>>
>>54314421
lame post removal.
>>
>>54314442
Would you mind explaining what went wrong?
>aksing /g/ for help
>ever
>>
>Run Debian on server and old laptops
>Try to install on current desktop
>Install KDE
>Wifi only works on Debian Sid
>AMD catalyst not supported on linux 4.3
>Try to install drivers as a workaround
>leave for an hour
>come back to frozen KDE
>Only works in CLI
>Restart
>KDE does not boot
I Haven't formatted my linux partition, but I don't think I can do this anymore.
>>
>>54314444
I made a typo. Also, nice quads
>>
>>54313594
Gotta start somewhere.
>>
File: moley.gif (599 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
moley.gif
599 KB, 480x270
>>54312875
dat mole
wholly moley
mole mole mole mole mole
>>
>>54312683

Because OSX is a toy OS

You can tell Windows 10 is designed by 200 teams of Pajeets as consistancy doesn't exist. Also botnet, stability

Debian-based OS is the best chance we have
>>
i don't video editing on linux is garbage
>>
It's fun, it's efficient and best of all it's free (in many ways).

I'm not forcing you to switch, if you find it has those attributes too you'll end up switching.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter what OS you use.
>>
>>54314973
In what way is it fun? I don't anything about computer science but what should I potentially learn so as to have fun with Linux? Which distro should I start with? I need a daily driver.
>>
>>54314470
>Install KDE
This is where you've fucked up
Also dual boot is a meme, you won't really get to use loonix unless it's on a second pc
>>
because fuck apple, buy android or windows. i would never tell a non-techie to use linux on their laptop or desktop.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.