[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Webm Names
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: webM.jpg (13 KB, 650x380) Image search: [Google]
webM.jpg
13 KB, 650x380
This thread MAY not belong on here, but it was the closest board I can think to ask:
What is with all the webms I'm seeing around 4chan named in the style, "Adjective][Adjective][Animal]?" Is this an automated program? Is it something 4chan itself does? Is it one person kicking out hundreds of webms that has an esoteric naming scheme?

What is going on.
>>
>>54311941
gfycat is a site to upload webms/gifs and it gives these randomly generates filenames as such. So when someone saves the webm it will have that generated filename.
>>
it's a gfycat.com thing.

It's an easy-to-remember way of giving each page a unique URL. Imgur uses a 7-digit code made up of uppercase letters, lowercase letters, and the numbers 0-9, for a total of 62 different characters. Calculating that (627) gives us about 3.5 trillion different combinations. However, a code like that is hard to remember and annoying to type.

Gfycat uses a three word code. With three words, all you need is about 15,000 words to get the same amount of unique combinations as imgur's system. That sounds like a lot, but there's an estimated one million words in the English language, so 15k is a drop in the bucket. Now, Gfycat uses an AdjectiveAdjectiveNoun pattern specifically, so my 15,0003 figure is not really correct here, but it gives you the basic idea.

Basically, it's just easier to remember, type, and communicate a code like "hungry orange monkey" than it is, "capital X, lowercase X, lowercase L, or is that a one? Uh, zero, I think, or capital O..."
>>
>>54312013
This is top reddit post
>>
>>54312004
>>54312013
You guys are top quality.
>>54312069
You picked a strange thread to troll in.
>>
>>54312069
first result on google
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.