[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are glass screen protectors a meme?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 4
File: _IMG_000000_000000.jpg (836 KB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
_IMG_000000_000000.jpg
836 KB, 5312x2988
Are glass screen protectors a meme?
>>
>>54311796
Yeah, I had one on my phone and the screen shattered but the protector remained the same.
>>
Yeah
Try not being a retard instead and drop your fragile electronic device
>>
>>54311796
>Is X a meme?

Kill yourself.
>>
>>54311796
>Trusting in Gorilla Meme
lolno. Enjoy your cracked screen
>>
I'm glad I got a two pack. While I was applying the new protector a big piece of dust managed to sneak underneath

>>54311847
It's mostly for scratches. I forgot what glass is on the v10 but I don't keep my phone and keys in the same pocket and I noticed small scratches forming
>>
File: _IMG_000000_000000.jpg (712 KB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
_IMG_000000_000000.jpg
712 KB, 5312x2988
>>54312005
Forgot pic
>>
Stupid chink protectors had dirt on the adhesive side under the protective film.

This is what I get for buying some random brand instead of based spigen
>>
>>54311796
> Keeps your screen in perfect condition which significantly increases resale value
> Provides protection against minor to decent falls
> Decent protectors offer coating similar to phones to make it feel smooth.

How is it a meme if it's practical? God you idiots throw that damn word around for the stupidest shit. OP is a retard.
>>
No,
>Got one.
>Dropped my fucking phone by accident.
>Screen totally fine.
>Only glass screen protector got broken.
They're real AF.
>>
>>54312449
>Keeps your screen in perfect condition.
Because your finger sweats acid that can kill the screen, right?
>>
>>54312508
Are you really the most autistic piece of shit in the world? It keeps your screen from being scratched at all. Making your eBay listing 'screen has no scratches at all' would increase your value by a good margin you stupid shit.
>>
Don't most non-shit phones come with hardened glass already?
>>
>>54312490
How do you know if it was the screen protector that kept your screen from cracking?

Isn't it possible your phone would have been fine anyway and that the screen protector is just easier to crack?
>>
>>54312490
If you didn't have the "protector" the phone would probably have been fine too.
>>
I have a glass screen protector on my Lumia 950 XL.
It's one of the early models of screen protectors, so it doesn't fit perfectly edge to edge, and they didn't laser-cut specific holes for the lights. They went the lazy route and just put a big fat rectangle where the lights probably are.

These days, on Microsoft's website they're selling a screen protector that actually does fit edge-to-edge and has laser-cut holes for all of the lights and other shits on the front.

I have dropped my phone a few times. I don't use a case because they're all ugly. I instead opted for buying a leather replacement cover to increase grip. That worked, and I stopped dropping it.

But when I was dropping my phone, that shitty screen protector definitely absorbed some damage. I'm not sure if the phone's screen would be cracked (probably not), but I would say that peace of mind is worth $20-30 of insurance.
>>
>>54312005
You should apply your protector in a commercial environment (university, corporate office, etc).
At least at my uni, they have crazy filtration systems that prevent dust buildup.
So theoretically if any dust got under the protector while you were there, it was your fault for not cleaning it.

It could also be the Chinese wage slave's fault for putting their dirty fingerprints under the adhesive.
>>
File: 1423591893549.gif (3 MB, 524x276) Image search: [Google]
1423591893549.gif
3 MB, 524x276
>>54311840
>not getting a protector for your protector
you dun gfd
>>
I never bought one before but I do have some scratches on my phone that would have been prevented by a screen protector. Like when you put your phone inside a pocket with a bunch of keys or something. It's obviously not meant to protect your screen from shattering from a drop, if they do market it like that it's a meme.
>>
>>54312528
Your fault. Next time dont put your phone in the same pocket that your katana.
>>
>>54312731
Yea I'm returning it, the second one had fucking dirt between the adhesive layer and protective film
>>
>>54312600
>>54312595
You guys are fucking idiots.

The force that would have cracked the screen went into cracking the screen protector instead.

Plus glass screen protectors prevent scratches without sacrificing the feel of a glass screen. Plastic screen protectors fee like shit.
>>
>>54311879
what is X?
>>
>>54312987
A variable.
>>
>>54311796
I've never used one, but my phone screen is also scratched.
>>
>>54312872
>The force that would have cracked the screen went into cracking the screen protector instead.

The point is: those screen "protectors" are weaker than the actual screens.
So what cracks a protector might not be enough to crack a screen.

As for scratches: you only get scratches if the scratching material is harder than the glass.
For example:
-stainless steel will not scratch glass.
-sand can scratch glass, but only barely.
-diamond can scratch everything.
>>
>>54313040
why do they wrap items with bubble wrap when you receive a package?
It's pretty much the same with tempered glass
>>
>>54311796
I like anti glare
>>
who never used protectors and never broke phone masterrace here?
>>
Have owned them for all my phones, they have saved my life a few times.

No they are not a meme, and are worth it. I take care of my shit, but accidents happen sometimes.
>>
>>54312987
X gone give it to you.
>>
>>54313040
You can get protectors which are laboratory grown sapphire crystal "glass" and you should.

That stuff can scrape layers off of steel and not show any damage to itself.
>>
Mine usually shatter like fuck when I've never broken a screen, but eh.
It's usually because the edges stick out above the rest of the phone, they get chipped (Espscially since I double layer.)
A rubber band around the phone would fix this.
>>
>>54313040
That's the point. If the protectors were stronger than the screen, the screen would crack first.
>>
you don't need a screen protector, your screen already has a "protector", the fucking glass over it.
>>
>>54313987
This. I like the feel of a good antiglare protector. It gives the device a nice matte screen, and it feels like touching paper.
>>
>>54314101
Double layer?
>>
>>54314010
always used one and never broke phone masterrace here
just love that safety feeling
>>
>>54312987
independent variable
>>
>>54314321
>implying gorilla glass can't be scratched
it's not diamond, its just glass

>>54314590
although it blurs the display if it's a high density one.
>>
>>54312987
A meme
>>
File: 1454216135749.png (225 KB, 499x326) Image search: [Google]
1454216135749.png
225 KB, 499x326
>>54311796

no.

>my dad bought a used chink windows tablet from one aunt
>it was scratched as fuck
>i tought that it was such a waste of money and tried to convince him to return the tablet
>one day i was fooling around with it when i discovered a thin layer that was loose on screen
>peel it off
>mfw
>now the tablet looks like new
>>
>>54312023
how the fuck
do you literally have hard metals and shit in your pocket while stealing, tyrone?
>>
>>54311796
Obviously if you drop your phone, it will crack.
That aside I've had a glass protector for a year and it doesn't have a scratch. Those film protectors tend to get scratched by normal wear. It's also very easy to keep clean.
>>
>>54312580
yes even the 1st gen moto g comes with a gorrilian glass the 3rd generation of gorrillians
>>
>>54311840
>blogposting

>>54311796
Their best and primary purpose is to reduce scratches and not look shit. Plastic screen protectors too easily bubble and become grubby. Glass screen protectors are easy to clean and don't feel like oily plastic after a while. As well as antiglare plastic ones just look awful to start with.

In my experience working at a phone shop. People get excited about glass screen protectors. And more often than not, people come back with broken protectors, and working phones. Only once have I seen a phone that had both its screen protector and screen obliterated, and that was because they dropped it under a tractor. I recommend.
>>
>>54314605
2 screens protectors.
>>
>>54312580

yeah, but if you have an old or shit phone
>>
>>54315040
Why would you do that? That is just like wearing two condoms, it is less effective.
>>
>>54315052
Its all about the girth

Like gary oak once said, you cant ignore his girth.
>>
>>54315052
Top one cracks, bottom one fine, replace top one.
>>
>>54311879
Is killing yourself a meme?
>>
>>54315076
But wearing two makes it more likely that the top one will crack. You said it yourself:

>>54314101
>>
>>54315088
Yes, retards spam kys all the time

Which is retarded since it means kiss in danish

Kiss yourself everyone, love and peace.
>>
>>54314899
>>54314899
I'm sorry for your dad
>>
>>54315089
I find they crack all the same, it' just nice knowing there's a barrier between a cracked protector and my digitizer.
Wait holy fucking shit, you can get a LCD/digitiser combo for my phone for $20. Why the shit do I use screen protectors?
>>
>>54315098
And bae means poop haha lelel bae hehe bae LMAO lelelelel
>>
>>54312740
>not wrapping your phone in bubblewrap
>>
I never understood how people break phone screens, I have had my cheap old nokia luma 520 for like 3 years and fucking pegged it at the wall half a dozen times in anger and it has never broken.
>>
>>54315391
Expensive phones are made out of "premium" material (coke can aluminum) and have smaller bezels, thinner glass, etcetc
>>
>>54311796
Yes. It destroys visibility under sunlight due to increased light reflectance.
>>
>>54315391
I have seen how it happens first hand as a cashier multiple times

>woman at till
>fumbling with handbag/purse/phone/baby/card/shopping all at once
>inevitably something drops
>it's usually the phone

Don't ask me why they always carry all this shit at once in one big armful it's a mystery to me
>>
>>54314066
lost
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.