[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MACvsWindowsvsLinux
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: evil_mac_by_creapx.jpg (63 KB, 1200x850) Image search: [Google]
evil_mac_by_creapx.jpg
63 KB, 1200x850
So I have been a mac user for some time and I am becoming increasingly dissatisfied. The hardware is crap. The software is lined with code so your device will crap. Mac is failing me and I want to know, is windows or linux better?

I'm a gamer and I'd like to know what lenox and dell are, they're hardware brands right? While mac and windows are software brands?
>>
>>54309298
Mac and Windows are Operating Systems.
Windows isn't any better, only for video games, nothing else.
Linux doesn't offer much.
Dell is crap for everything but it's monitors and I have never heard of Lenox.
>>
>>54309426
Aye but does windows have the same conversations surrounding it like mac does where the developers purposefully sabotage the computer device
>>
>>54309298
But how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?
>>
>>54309549
>>
>>54309481
Yes, Microsoft make you upgrade to Windows 10, and spam you with adware and malware. Using Windows 10, you have little to no privacy to what you do with your computer and you don't get a say to skipping or deciding when to install updates.
>>
>>54309298
If you want a bunch of games then go with Windows. After the Anniversary update hopefully it will be bug free although it will likely respect your privacy even less.

If you don't want games I would recommend a Linux distribution - I use Ubuntu. You should only use this on your main machine if you are not afraid to google an error message every now and then.

I feel that learning how to Linux was an investment - I can now use most Unix-like OSes without much trouble and am no longer tied to a single company for my OS needs.
>>
File: 1458849246136.png (267 KB, 673x888) Image search: [Google]
1458849246136.png
267 KB, 673x888
>>54309685
this desu senpai

You get 1/2 the botnet compared to using OSX, but it's still botnet.

Lenox is your only hope.
>>
>>54309298
Linux systems are pretty much for DIY types of people, or community-type DIY whatever it's called.
>>
>>54309426
I assume by "lenox" he means "Lenovo".

>>54309298
To be pedantic, "Mac" is just the word for Apple-branded PCs. The Mac's operating system is called "OS X".

"Linux" refers to a kernel (if you don't know what this is, it's probably better if you stick to Windows), but is often used as a shorthand for a family of Unix-like operating systems that all share the same Linux kernel. There's all kinds of Linux operating systems called "distributions" or "distros" for short. There's some like Elementary OS that are very similar aesthetically-speaking to OS X, or one's like Zorin OS that try to copy Windows' style. But most distros are their own thing completely separate from the Windows/OS X thing. If you want something "different", and don't mind not playing AAA games anytime near release, then maybe try out Linux.

What's your use-case? If you're just using your computer for video games and web browsing, your operating system doesn't really matter too much. In my opinion, OS X is a decent operating system ham-stringed by shitty Apple hardware. Hackintosh is an option (installing OS X on non-Apple hardware). While it might not be "the best", getting Windows is certainly the easiest choice. You'll basically get all the software, but you'll have to deal with Windows 10's spying and whatnot.
>>
>>54309727
>implying you can't play games on Linux
When will this meme die? All of my games run fine on it
>>
>>54309298
You'll end up with LFS anyway, why not just skip the rest?
>>
>>54309766
>muh gaymes
>muh leenox
>>
>>54309741
>Lenox = Lenovo
Then no. Lenovo is known to ship your PC with malware and bloatware. See superfish.
>>
File: Contemplative_MachoMan.jpg (161 KB, 744x960) Image search: [Google]
Contemplative_MachoMan.jpg
161 KB, 744x960
>>54309766
I don't mean to say you cant play games on Linux because I hear a lot of people say they can but in my experience it is way to complicated to get a bug-free experience especially for a beginner. Too often have I gone through a days worth of work just to go from barely-playable to broken.

After a while I just decided to keep a windows partition lying around for the rare time I want to play KSP.

That being said native support is becoming slightly more popular amongst devs
>>
>>54309858
>After a while I just decided to keep a windows partition lying around for the rare time I want to play KSP.
What the fuck? KSP is one of the easiest games to get to work. It literally has an official linux release.

KSP is one of the few games that actually even runs on my main distro (as opposed to only running on Ubuntu), too.

Even for something more complicated like League of Legends the process is as simple as:

1. Install PlayOnLinux
2. Install League of Legends using the PoL GUI
3. Play League of Legends
>>
>>54310059
KSP wasn't a specific example or was a bad example. Even so the point is I have had trouble with this in the past.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.