[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is it that technological innovation is dying/dead? There
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 5
File: singularityfags.png (13 KB, 1000x1500) Image search: [Google]
singularityfags.png
13 KB, 1000x1500
Why is it that technological innovation is dying/dead?

There hasn't been any new revolutionary technology since the iphone, and it looks now as if all we're gonna get from here out is gimmicks and other things that just don't work well like VR which is failing. Is there any way to reverse this?
>>
>>54308499
So-called VR is shit for complete retards. MS Hololens is the real future of tech.
>>
>>54308499
Investing into space travel and exploration is the only way. Frivilous gimmicks made to waste time here on Earth won't do jack shit in the long run.
>>
Because you can only do so much with silicon chips.
>>
>>54308713
I have this feeling as well. I'm not sure we're gonna get on with it soon though. At least Elon Musk is trying, but he really can only do so much.
>>
We thought the same thing in the 19th century
And the 18th
And the 17th

It happens over and over again. You see, innovation is not a continuous process. It happens in spurts. We're at the end of a silicon spurt right now, so until the next innovation pops up we're going to appear to be stalling.

The only way we'd really stop is the very real chance that civilisation collapses.
>>
There haven't been a lot of major advancements or inventions for like 30 years, its all just making existing things larger (storage wise) and faster. Or improving pixel density/color accuracy, or stuff of that nature. After a certain point things get faster than your reaction time, and look as good as our eyes can see, there's really nothing else you can do.

The only thing I can see being truly game changing is if quantum mechanics really takes off and changes our current perspective on how information travels. I can't remember the name of the experiment, but its one where they got 2 atoms or particles to mimic each other from km away instantaneously, like what they did to one happened to the other. I could see that being extrapolated and improved upon to allow for instant transmission of nearly unlimited amounts of data. Although that is just improving speed too. Way off in the distant future I could see technology being able to alter the physical world more as well
>>
>>54308499

There's no great struggle for survival going on. No great war, no epidemic, nothing.

True innovation comes from times of hardship.
>>
>>54308930
would also be amazing for catching "terrorists" and other "Criminals"
>>
>>54308810
This. The advancements in semiconductor devices in the past 5 years and the direction computer architecture could go in the next 5 years are both astounding. Nobody knows what the future looks like anymore.
>>
We need another World War for innovation.
>>
>>54308499
It's not dead, the current pace is fine. >>54308713 is a good idea as we should be keeping backups of our species on another planet, but not traveling through space isn't going to hurt innovation. Regarding VR/AR, give https://youtu.be/RLlYF9SBBqA a watch. It does a great job of covering the progress we're about to see in that industry.
>>
>>54308499
>revolutionary technology
>memephone
>>
>>54308930
the term you are looking for is quantum entanglement
>>
>>54308930
Quantum teleporting?
>>
>>54309422
yes that's it, super cool shit, sometimes makes me wish I picked a different major
>>
>>54308499
>No new innovation since iPhone

Wew yob ... Blockchain is genuiniely revolutionary, not just innovative
>>
>>54308930
it doesnt really work like that unfortunately.
its still pretty neat.

wikipedia can explain it better then i can.
>Quantum teleportation is a process by which quantum information (e.g. the exact state of an atom or photon) can be transmitted (exactly, in principle) from one location to another, with the help of classical communication and previously shared quantum entanglement between the sending and receiving location.
>Because it depends on classical communication, which can proceed no faster than the speed of light, it cannot be used for faster-than-light transport or communication of classical bits.
>>
>>54310256
oh but it still has plenty of other uses. just not instant transmission and whatnot.
>>
>>54310256
I do not know much about this (anything quantum) yet. I once heard that letters imprinted with atoms could be transported using a method similar to this, would that not allow for communication of bits? Or couldn't we achieve the same effect with quantum bits? Or am I way off?

My overall opinion is that we generally look at a scale which is too local to be useful. Just because VR and other "time wasters" are being developed doesn't mean other more useful techs are not. Also just because computers got faster exponentially for a while doesn't mean that everything else should. Another thing is that improvements in computing that are really exciting do not necessarily rely on increased speed but rather decreased power usage.

Just look at the technology we had 10 years ago versus now. We are certainly seeing progress. Hell, normal people like me now have access to a complex machine learning framework free of charge with tutorials included. I am more excited to see what we will find in terms of grammar research and more efficient software along with machine learning on a massive and general scale combined with embedded computers.
>>
>>54308930
>is if quantum mechanics really takes off
It's been around longer than fucking airplanes.
>>
>>54308930
That's called entanglement and it's useless for information transmission
>>
>>54308499
There've been plenty of major advancements behind the scenes lately. Hence why everything is so cheap these days.

On the front-end though, we've got automated vehicles about to roflstomp their way across large swaths of society.

I expect they'll be shortly followed by autonomous organizations coming into their prime and gutting human bureaucracy around the world.

Next step is superintelligent collective entities.

All this in the next 5 years.

Prepare to get shrekt.
>>
File: peekaboo.png (219 KB, 370x480) Image search: [Google]
peekaboo.png
219 KB, 370x480
>>54308499
>There hasn't been any new revolutionary technology since the iphone
>>
>>54308843
Unfortunately, musk has a business to run. He can only proceed if there is profit or a relatively assured return of investment. It really takes government funding to lead the research because the only think they have to generate is hype to keep running. They can keep spending money so long as there is public support
>>
>>54308499
Graphene, end of the oil era, increasing automation, Hoverboards, what else do you want?
>>
next big thing is gunna come from either ai, or from a test-tube. gene editing, artificial meat, all sorts of things will be possible once we refine or advance CRISPR and understand genetics well enough to start creating organisms from scratch.
>>
>>54312923
>graphmeme, end of black gold, hoverboards
No. Automation is the only thing you've mentioned that'll happen, but it'll take a while for that to have a large impact on our global economy.
>>
>>54313193
Actually they reckon peak oil is in the next few years. Demand is dropping, China's not as thirsty and engines are more efficient. Watch as capital flows out of oil to smarter long term energy investments.
>>
>>54308499
>red line
we dark ages now?
>>
>>54312727
Apps were more revolutionary than the iphone
>>
it's not my field but i talked to someone in quantum computing, and they say that it's not turing-complete yet but there are certain types of calculations you can use it for. the biggest challenge is actually temperature - quantum computers need to be kept at very low temperatures or energy can get into the systems and start fucking up your qubits, so i'm told

oh, sorry, i forgot, this is /g/ - consumer hardware. to answer your question, yes, everything than can be discovered has been discovered
>>
>>54308499
> hasn't been any new revolutionary technology since the iphone
Opinion discarded
>>
okay so you'd be fine with using only whatever desktop hardware was available in 2007 right

try a wannabe oldfag forum circlejerk, there are tons for 80s and 90s, seen some rarely for early 2000s and wonder what the 2000 decade forum circlejerks are going to look like 15 years from now
>>
>>54313612
GG USA BEST COUNTRY WORLD
>>
>>54315019
"we used to have this thing called "going outside" when we were kids!"
>>
>>54313612
Are you retarded? That stuff would delay the coming of peak oil. Do you even know what peak oil is?
>>
>>54313612
>Watch as capital flows out of oil to smarter long term energy investments.

If only. We can expect more wars and things turning to shit in 50 years when the last barrels run dry.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (19 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
19 KB, 480x360
>2025

>no cheap oil, no nuclear fusion yet

>the world is dominated by 5 billion gook sandniggers living across africa, india and asia

>white kids are put into slavery to produce energy in hamster wheels while praying for allah.

>also, computers are haram
>>
Minimalism is the most advanced thing we ever got
>>
>>54317469
I love how oil prices dropped bigtime recently and to compensate sandniggers are pumping more out the ground since they need the money to fund ISIS and shit.

In the process making oil prices drop further and making it tougher to invest in non-fossil fuels
Thanks sandniggers
>>
>>54308713
>implying there's anything useful in space.

Until we figure out FTL space travel and material transportation then space travel is literally worthless.
>>
>>54308866
To add, innovation is some magical process. It's just people taking knowledge and tools of the time to make new things. It's a slow, continuous process that happens everywhere.
>>
>>54309117

Nigga you retarded? Half the world is in unrest gearing up for ww3
>>
>>54309117
What are you talking about? We are probably in the state of most struggle for survival right now.
>>
>>54308499
1. stop being cucked
2. think for yourself
>>
>>54318952
>1. stop being cucked
Literally impossible in the current economic and social status.
>>
>>54309374
He's right about the prophecy thing, I feel his predictions are probably pretty accurate, and it Sounds completely insane.. (in a good way)
>>
>>54308930
>its all just making existing things larger
nice try pajeet
>>
Some examples of revolutionary tech emerging in the recent years or very near future:

VR / AR
Practical electric vehicles
Reusable space rockets
Drones
Cheap DNA analyzing and manipulation
Cheap SoCs allowing for devices like the raspberry pi or super cheap smartphones
>>
>>54309117
Huge debt problem
Anti family/christianity
Verge of world war 3
Immigration problem that disrupts our political system
Problems with our constitution being violated
Way over taxed

I could go on and on
>>
File: 1455009913642.jpg (13 KB, 255x247) Image search: [Google]
1455009913642.jpg
13 KB, 255x247
>>54312727
this.

People just seem to think that technological advancements are just about Iphones and tablets.

It's not at all. That's not even tech revolution, just some business revolution, nothing more.

Innovation works in spurts, like another anon said. And the best example is AI. Nothing really special happens until we find a new way to do things, e.g. deep learning. And we'll circlejerk for a couple years with that deep learning until a new way has been developed/discovered.

A big part of tech innovation and all is to find ways to make non-consumer tech more affordable so it can become consumer-end tech. That way, everybody can profit from that technology and then change the way other sectors/businesses and have innovation in that sector who otherwise would never happen with that deprecated technology.

But, yeah, you're convinced the Iphone was the last "technological revolution", so I believe I'm just losing my time here trying to explain something you'll disregard anyway.
>>
>>54308693
They have completely different uses.
>>
>>54308499
Because /g/ and our society and investor class is filled with stupid consumers that aren't that much interested in a better future through technology. Society doesn't invest much into hard tech, only in stupid apps.
>>
row row
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.