[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does Arch spy on its users? What about Ubuntu? I want to dual
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: windows-10-4.jpg (82 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
windows-10-4.jpg
82 KB, 1600x900
Does Arch spy on its users? What about Ubuntu?
I want to dual boot a linux distro with my Win10, and I'm looking for privacy. I've used ubuntu in the past, but I haven't heard good things about it lately. So?

>inb4 windows 10
Some of us have to use software that only works on windows for school/work, so gotta do what I gotta do.
>>
everything spies on everything. just stop caring about it and use whatever you find usable or comfy.
>>
File: okthen.gif (1 MB, 700x520) Image search: [Google]
okthen.gif
1 MB, 700x520
>>54306824
>>
>>54306824
>everyone cheats on everyone
>stop caring
>just get cucked
>>
File: 1337342222631.jpg (86 KB, 515x589) Image search: [Google]
1337342222631.jpg
86 KB, 515x589
>2016
>falling for the windows 10 is a botnet meme
>>
>>54306799
>Does Arch spy on its users?
Yes. Arch was the original botnet.

Do NOT trust the Arch meme.
>>
ubuntu (unity) used to have this amazon lense in their search bar where they received what you typed and then showed you ads among the search results.

That can be disabled on old releases and it is not enabled by default on the new one.
There is also other desktop environments where they don't do that and I would suggest that if you value privacy, you use one of those.

I personally use plasma+kde on my computers, you can get that on any distro, but if you want to use it with ubuntu, I suggest that you try out neon.
>>
>>54306824

>just stop caring

Ok, boss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WINDtlPXmmE
>>
CustoMac. It's the only sane desktop Unix.
>>
>>54306824
>the last desperate cry of the windowsfag

God, this is pathetic to even read.
>>
I run gnome on arch and have done an analysis of network traffic using an external box in between my test machine and the network.

Windows 10 chats up every si gle time you move the mouse, click a folder, view a photo, etc. Arch/gnome is completely quiet except for a few things here and there. Nothing that shouldn't communicate does, the only big surprise was that the gnome-calculator makes network requests when opened, but its just to pull currency rates.

Virtualbox does an update check, and Firefox chats up 100 servers every time it starts. Other than that, all local utils are dead silent 24/7, no amount of file management, editing, tweaking etc. will let someone know what you're doing
>>
>>54307645
>Firefox chats up 100
go on
>>
>>54307764
Regular requests to ocsp servers for cert checking, requests to google for safebrowsing updates, Firefox profile servers for sync, extension update requests, and Firefox "self-repair" servers that download a checking tool to see if firefox program files are corrupted every time it starts

Not to mention downloading any theme resources for themes you may have installed, and any network requests of extensions you have installed.

Firefox sends out quite a bit of data on start.
>>
ubuntu still calls home with certain things. look up how to disable them.
>>
>>54306799
Use Qubes
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.