[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Linuxtards will try to deny this.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6
Linuxtards will try to deny this.
>>
>>54305943
nobody cares about whoever that was or what he said
>>
File: guaranteed_replies.png (85 KB, 875x875) Image search: [Google]
guaranteed_replies.png
85 KB, 875x875
>>
>>54305998
>nobody cares what one of the fathers of Unix has to say about his own creation
>>
And Windows has retarded it by 50
>>
>>54306017
ask anyone you know who Dennis Ritchie is. I'm willing to bet that most of them have no idea who he is, what he did, or when he died. He and his opinions are completely irrelevant, just like Unix and Stallman.
>>
>>54306029
>tu quoque
>>
>>54306030
He looks like Gandalf with Down's syndrome
>>
Which means people are comfortable with UNIX, but more comfortable with Linux, so nobody does OS research anymore.
>>
>>54306102
In a way is wonderful, but in an other way it's a sad situation.
>>
>>54306102
>nobody does OS research anymore
But MIT, Microsoft research and others are doing OS research.
>>
It's true in a way. Linux is a shitty hacked together Unix, BSD is better, but still nothing compared to Plan9. Better still, imagine what we could have if people paid more attention to Lisp machines.
>>
>>54305943
Why the fuck would I care what this corporate hoebag says about operating systems?

Didn't even do anything substantial after he left Bell.
>>
>>54306220
>tfw we could have mips based machines with a awesome os paradigm
>tfw we got shitty x86 based machines based in ancient os paradigms
>>
>>5430623
>linuxfags will try to deny this
>>
I agree, but what is the alternative to using Linux?
>>
>>54306175
Microsoft is doing research into Linux kek
>>
>>54306268
>mips desktop
y tho

>>54306598
FreeBSD is probably the next best thing.
>>
>retarded

The proper term is mentally challenged.
>>
>>54306705

What about opendarwin or however it is called?
>>
>>54306827
Apple stopped releasing their kernel sources, leaving darwin to mostly wither on the vine.

At any rate, if I were picking a component from OS X to use in an open source operating system, I would definitely not pick the kernel. Linux consistently outperforms the OS X kernel.
>>
>>54309010
I'd take the aqua desktop environment, desu. Looks pretty and works well.
>>
>>54306017
Should we also care about what he says about GNU's Not Unix?
>>
File: 1462022486089.jpg (55 KB, 850x400) Image search: [Google]
1462022486089.jpg
55 KB, 850x400
>>54305943
Windows cucks WILL try to argue with this.
>>
That's a pretty low estimate.
>>
>>54306030
>He and his opinions are completely irrelevant, just like Unix and Stallman.
Have you had your medication today?
DMR stands way above the likes of Jobs, Gates and all those other assholes like zuckerborg.
I would say DMR is only second maybe to Alan Turing in modern computing.
>>
> twisting ritchie-senpai's words

heresy
>>
I should be ashamed of myself for responding to a bait thread
but it has. They have. Yet it is the only operating system widely available.
We could be using plan9 but last time I checked the plan9 site was down. And part of the reason that the world is stuck with systemd/gnu/linux is because of fucking hardware. Linux is the only OS with wide support for all types of hardware. Try that with either a *BSD or plan9.
Honestly the computer world is a mess. Often I think the lisp guys are not so crazy with their longing for lisp machines, for that would introduce a more flexible and certainly more consistent environment. The same could be said about smalltalk (there were smalltalk machines after all) or even forth. But we are stuck with this mess. Honestly computers should go back to being a hobbyist thing and not mainstream technology. Even Linux shouldn't have all thse god damned distros. The reason there are so many distros is because there was never a standard way to install linux in the first place, so a lot of people went about making their own. And we ended up with systemd. Fedora, Ubuntu, that kind of bullshit.
That's why gentoo and arch (yes!) are the best choices available. Because they really are like meta distributions and then you don't need to have 4 derivatives of a derivative of a linux distribution just to pick the desktop environment!
>>
At some point when I have the free time I'll start coding some shit for 9front.

What would you guys like to see?
>>
>>54312162
A DE, modern browser (can be something simple like qtbrowser or whatever that is), and a BSD/GNU utils for whatever is missing from plan9.
>>
File: retard.png (40 KB, 773x337) Image search: [Google]
retard.png
40 KB, 773x337
Unix has slowed down OS research by 10 years and linux has slowed it down by 20.
>>
>>54306102
>>54306140
>>54312295

People blame the existence of C and Unix, but they should be blaming the universities which no longer teach about other kinds of operating systems.

It's the job of universities to teach what's out there, not just what's popular.
>>
>>54306690
No it isn't. Microsoft is making new operating systems like barrelfish.
>>
File: 018.jpg (52 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
018.jpg
52 KB, 625x626
>>
>>54312327
this is so fucking true.
I hadn't thought about this. Academia pushes some shit on programming language on a very abstract level, which is actually pretty good. That is more on the side of mathematix anyway, way too abstracted out.
On the main, universities are teaching python and javascript and java (for fuck's sake).
But to be honest, going to a university to be a programmer is a bad bad bad idea, also bad.
You can jump right into the field by turning on your pc.
I've seen Ruby code from a guy who's learning at some college... it looks like fucking C.
>>
>>54311289
ritchie used windows nt at work

where is your god now
>>
>>54306705
>>54306827
you don't get the point do you
>>54314311
to launch inferno in dis machine on it
where is your pajeet now
>>
>>54306030
>I'm straight from Facebook and what is this?
>>
>>54306268
MIPS technologies made one of the LPR systems that we recently used. Guess what? The system was shit and broke pretty fucking often. Switched over to Vigilant Solutions LPR systems that relies on an X86 machine for recognition, no problems.
>>
>>54314311
>ritchie used windows nt at work
... and I used IBM's VM/SP at work.
Doesn't mean I liked it.
>>
>>54305943
If you accept Rob Pike's definition of what a modern OS should be then this can consider this accurate.
>>
>>54312295
Colleges and unis are businesses. Education is second to monetary gain.
>>
Context and source?
>>
File: 1461968886482.jpg (11 KB, 162x155) Image search: [Google]
1461968886482.jpg
11 KB, 162x155
>tfw we will never experience the joy of copying a process to a zip disquette and resuming this process in the exact same state on a completely different machine
Why didn't Plan 9 or Inferno take off again?
>>
>>54315172
because the world isn't full of computer scientists. All the consumers got PC's that came with DOS and no CS company had the money to fund a new OS so everyone else just copied unix to stay relevant.

However Plan9/Inferno did leech out into the world, and because of them today we have microkernels, distributed computing and network filesystems. Linux today is very much the OS Plan9 was intended to be (except with systemv commands isntead of the "new plan9 userland")
>>
>>54306220
Lisp machines were wonderful. So were most of the operating system on the PDP-10 (ITS is to this day the only OS that made assembly programming fun. I've been running it in an emulator for a while now).

>>54311729
An operating system as a language environment for a flexible, extendable language such as Lisp, Forth, Smalltalk, ect. is probably the best ideas in OS dev anyone ever came up with. Plan9 was also pretty good.

I've been using Emacs as my DE/WM for a while now. It's the closest thing I can get to a Lisp machine on modern hardware (and it still sucks, GNU Emacs and Elisp is a fucking abomination).
>>
>>54315413
>Linux today is very much the OS Plan9 was intended to be

So where are my private namespace?
>>
>>54306220
>>54311729
>>54315637
>In 1987, three years after Minsky and Schank's prediction, the market for specialized AI hardware collapsed. Workstations by companies like Sun Microsystems offered a powerful alternative to LISP machines and companies like Lucid offered a LISP environment for this new class of workstations. The performance of these general workstations became an increasingly difficult challenge for LISP Machines. Companies like Lucid and Franz Lisp offered increasingly more powerful versions of LISP. For example, benchmarks were published showing workstations maintaining a performance advantage over LISP machines.[27] Later desktop computers built by Apple and IBM would also offer a simpler and more popular architecture to run LISP applications on. By 1987 they had become more powerful than the more expensive Lisp machines. The desktop computers had rule-based engines such as CLIPS available.[28] These alternatives left consumers with no reason to buy an expensive machine specialized for running LISP. An entire industry worth half a billion dollars was replaced in a single year.[29]
>>
>>54316034
I was talking more about a Lisp environment as an operating system, not specifically the old Lisp machines. A Lisp OS should in theory be possible on modern hardware (writing operating systems is hell (hardware drivers) so I highly doubt anything will be made).
>>
>>54314439
I do get it but there is nothing else nearly as usable. It would be building an OS from scratch that nobody would adopt because there are already existing solutions
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.