[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ unaphone-zenith-secure-a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: ThisIsAFilename.png (157 KB, 1132x623) Image search: [Google]
ThisIsAFilename.png
157 KB, 1132x623
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/unaphone-zenith-secure-and-private-smartphone#/

I got this on my tutanota account. What are /g/'s thoughts?

The idea of sexting with Julia Reda with one of those makes me moist.
>>
>>54304930
i hate it when smartphone companies have a one either as their brand name or product

oneplus one with their mascot dog named Una

zuk z1

htc one
>>
>>54304930
>ARM
>Android
>Private
>GSM/WCDMA
>Bluetooth
>Secure
Ahahaha
>>
>>54305560
/thread
if they arent making their own hardware and software is fucked from the get go.

you think neo900 project is worth it? by the time its finished it will be a dinosaur tech wise but still awesome to see a literal form the ground up "smart phone"
>>
>>54304930
>the phone can not be identified by the carrier
Already bullshit, considering your phone needs an IMSI/IMEI/other applicable information to be able to connect to the tower and changing that information is punishable by up to 15 years in prison in the US.

>marketing it as safe against the US government and other state actors
Unless they have the baseband processor separate from the SOC and able to be hard turned off it will be completely insecure against state actors. All of your software protections mean nothing exploits can turn the baseband processor into a hardware back door with direct access to your processor/RAM.

>going on about all your communications being encrypted
That means absolutely nothing when the person you're communicating with doesn't have the necessary software, for example next to no one has the necessary software on their phone to support secure encrypted calling.

>high end specs that you will never be able to use because you can't install the apps you want
Why even have that when you can't use it? You could get by with significantly less which would also bring the price down.

>whole sales pitch fails to mention the problem of the baseband processor/firmware
It's shit, it's not secure against state actors, and similar protection could be had with tons of other phones on the market with alternate firmware while costing much less.

>the OS is completely locked down and ISN'T EVEN OPEN SOURCE
You can't trust Google or all those other companies not to try to screw you but you can trust us :^)

flaming bag of dogshit/10
>>
>>54304930

>Secure and private

>ALL YOUR CALLS AND SMS GET INTERCEPTED BY FAKE POLICE GSM STATIONS ANYWAY
>>
>>54304930
That thing is not only not private or secure but it's also going to get special priority by the alphabet boys simply because they market themselves as such and the alphabet boys want to see what people paranoid enough to use shit are doing.
>>
>>54307450
>using the smiley with a carat nose
>>
>>54307450
everything you just pointed out is going to happen in the neo900 project
http://neo900.org/news/paypal-resumes-neo900-sources-again
>>
>>54307856
Neat, it mentions Openmoko does that mean the Neo FreeRunner also has the baseband modem separate or is that just the newest version of the board that's being used in the Neo900? I can't seem to find information about that for the Neo FreeRunner.
>>
>>54304930
>truly private and secure
Nice meme
>>
>>54308491
pic possibly related
ill be honest man i dont even know. im a normie by /g/ standards, but a "tech guy" compared to norms.
I just thought it was a really in depth/grand idea that they were seeking to literally build everything themselves including hardware and software. they say it will be the only phone in existence thus far that completely seperates the phone radio from power and they will publish complete papers and documentation so itll be fully open. seems like it will be "old tech" by the time it comes out but still a pretty sweet endeavor
they got screwed by paypal for 6 months but recently got the funds re released to them so maybe this year they will be finished, i hope its successful
>>
>>54304930
So it's like Blackphone, only you have to wait 2 years to maybe get it?
>>
>>54307856
>>54308491
>>54310201
Just finished researching it for almost 3 hours and the Neo FreeRunner does not appear to have the baseband separated like the Neo900. It appears that one of the reasons for the separated baseband on the Neo900 is that using the baseband chip from the Neo FreeRunner that had open source firmware available (though if compromised would be just as bad as a compromised closed source baseband) was no longer an option. Also, holy shit the Neo900 expected to cost $1300. I'll just go with the Dragonbox Pyra that costs half the price if I want to spend the money on a pocketable computer with better specs than an old PDA (such as having enough RAM for web browsing with scripts so I can view the catalog on 4chan) that doesn't have security issues due to the cellular baseband.
>>
>>54307450
THIS
I'm so fucking sick of the pseudo secure meme made by retards that don't know the first thing about how a phone works.
There needs to be a NEET assigned to shitting on these psuedo privacy vaporware everytime they come out including garbage like Librem
>>
>>54310936
do you publish any of your findings/notes?
>>
>>54311057
>There needs to be a NEET assigned to shitting on these psuedo privacy vaporware everytime they come out
Someone's going to need to replace me, I've been shitting on stuff like that for the last several months but I just got a job a few weeks ago so now there are 80 hours each week where I can't instead of just 40.

>>54311139
Not really? A lot of detailed information on the Neo FreeRunner is available because it's completely open hardware.
>>
>>54304930
Whenever you see a product advertised as secure and private you can bet its a honeypot.
>>
>>54310288
Except the Blackphone's baseband supposedly can't access the phone's processor or the RAM used by the OS.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.