[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Windows extinction
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 9
File: Tux using Windows.jpg (18 KB, 300x276) Image search: [Google]
Tux using Windows.jpg
18 KB, 300x276
How long until Windows goes extinct? It's losing market share on the desktop to OS X and to OS X and Linux on Laptops. Android has already killed it on mobile and IoT and Linux server share just keeps growing. The last missing piece is good game support for Linux desktops and Valve is working to make that happen.

My guess is no later than 2025.
>>
>>54302962
>Android has already killed it on mobile and IoT

You mean Ubuntu already killed it on ioT
>>
>>54302962
If Linux is so good why does Tux use Windows? Checkmate Loonixfags.
>>
>>54302962
>How long until Windows goes extinct?
Not until someone comes up with a AD / Exchange / SharePoint alternative, with the same level of tie in, machine policy management, etc.

So, never.
>>
>>54303042
B T F O

T

F

O
>>
>>54302977
How has Ubuntu killed it in IoT?

>>54303065

Once Linux desktops get a big enough market share, Microsoft will probably port that stuff to Linux themselves just like they had to with Android.
>>
Android is not linux
>>
>>54303116
kys
>>
>>54303042
Of course he uses Windows.
Are you saying that this Linux can run on a computer without windows underneath it, at all ? As in, without a boot disk, without any drivers, and without any services ?

That sounds preposterous to me.

If it were true (and I doubt it), then companies would be selling computers without a windows. This clearly is not happening, so there must be some error in your calculations. I hope you realise that windows is more than just Office ? Its a whole system that runs the computer from start to finish, and that is a very difficult thing to acheive. A lot of people dont realise this.

Microsoft spent $19 billion and many years to make the Windows that we know today, so it does not sound reasonable that some new alternative could just snap into existence overnight like that. It would take billions of dollars and a massive effort to achieve. IBM tried, and spent a huge amount of money developing OS/2 but could never keep up with Windows. Apple has been trying to create their own system for years, but it never came close to what Windows is.

Its just not possible that a freeware like the Linux could be extended to the point where it runs the entire computer from start to finish, without using some of the more critical parts of windows. Not possible.

I think you need to re-examine your assumptions.
>>
>>54303042

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>54302962
>>54303099
Linux is not gaining any marketshare on desktops or laptops. OSX is gaining marketshare on laptops, but not quickly.
>>
>>54303245
Hey faggot, what are ChromeBooks? Those are gaining market share. Faggot.
>>
>>54303264
botnet
>>
File: interject.jpg (11 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
interject.jpg
11 KB, 480x360
>>54303161
I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!
>>
>>54303264
who even uses chromebooks? I've never seen anybody with one, or heard anybody talk about having one.
>>
I'm pretty sure Vista has more of a percentage than OSX in the Desktop market...
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-04-30-01-22-36.png (38 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-30-01-22-36.png
38 KB, 1080x1920
>>54303116

Fucking retard.
>>
>>54303042
Tux more like cux
>>
Never. That's why Microsoft pulled the "free" card to keep their sheep.
>>
File: flac.png (4 KB, 400x213) Image search: [Google]
flac.png
4 KB, 400x213
Hearing the difference now isn't the reason to encode to FLAC. FLAC uses lossless compression, while MP3 is 'lossy'. What this means is that for each year the MP3 sits on your hard drive, it will lose roughly 12kbps, assuming you have SATA - it's about 15kbps on IDE, but only 7kbps on SCSI, due to rotational velocidensity. You don't want to know how much worse it is on CD-ROM or other optical media.

I started collecting MP3s in about 2001, and if I try to play any of the tracks I downloaded back then, even the stuff I grabbed at 320kbps, they just sound like crap. The bass is terrible, the midrange…well don’t get me started. Some of those albums have degraded down to 32 or even 16kbps. FLAC rips from the same period still sound great, even if they weren’t stored correctly, in a cool, dry place. Seriously, stick to FLAC, you may not be able to hear the difference now, but in a year or two, you’ll be glad you did.
>>
>>54303042
kek
>>
>>54303480
I just checked my Marshmallow install and it's only 3.10

Why does Android using kernels so old?
>>
3.40 kernel with Android 5.0.1, just flash another kernel lulz
>>
>>54303099
That's an odd name for Debian.
>>
>>54302962
>implying it wont become linux and lock itself in with a proprietary DE
>>
>>54305005
Even if microsoft decided for some insane reason to abandon NT and replace it with some open source unix kernel, they would pick bsd, not linux.
>>
>How long until Windows goes extinct?
When Ganoo Linux offers a decent alternative i.e. never. But keep dreaming ;)
>>
File: 1438250118755.jpg (36 KB, 720x544) Image search: [Google]
1438250118755.jpg
36 KB, 720x544
Man, freetards are so delusional.
>>
File: IMG_20160405_223040.jpg (96 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160405_223040.jpg
96 KB, 640x400
>>54305072
>>
>>54303245
>Linux is not gaining any marketshare

Yes it is.
>>
Linux is only for people who like to experiment. It can never become a mass used operating system as people are so integrated with Windows and there are soo many drawbacks with Linux
>>
2016 year of the GNU/Linux desktop

worldoflinux.org
>>
Few years later, Microsoft will remove relevancy of PowerShell and everyone slowly adopting bash.
After that, Microsoft slowly replacing their kernel component with Linux counterpart.
Then, we'll have Windows UI ontop of linux kernel, just like OSX with open source kernel and proprietary UI.
tfw when dreaming.
>>
>>54302962

Uh OSX isn't taking over anything market wise yo and Linux is only used by gay people.
>>
>Valve is working to make that happen

When, 2 years ago? The only hope we would have is if we had non-utterly shitty GPU drivers and vulkan succeeded. Valve is not that relevant.
>>
>>54302962
>It's losing market share on the desktop to OS X and to OS X and Linux on Laptops.
You actually believe this? Are you retarded? The only place Linux has beaten Windows is servers and mobile - two very big things, but they will never beat Windows or even OS X on laptop or desktop.

YOTLD will never be a thing. You'd realize this if you would just pull your head out of your fat, pimpled ass.
>>
>>54302962
as long as they have a ton of money, they can manage to keep up.
>>
>>54303264
>Those are gaining market share.
LOL

Have they even surpassed the sales numbers from Windows RT which is a fucking dead OS?

You're fucking hilarious.

>>54305671
On desktops or laptops? No, absolutely none and you're a fucking retard if you think otherwise.
>>
File: Deluded Freetards.png (88 KB, 960x757) Image search: [Google]
Deluded Freetards.png
88 KB, 960x757
>>54302962
>Valve is working to make that happen.
Are you on fucking drugs?
>>
>>54303065
>>54303099
>>54303245
>>54303264
just /b/rowsing

1. innumerable organizations utterly depend on AD/Exchange/SharePoint and the software made for it
2. no sane corporation would allow chromebooks in the office because the group policy editor is a botnet
3. neither market share nor ported games matter for enterprise linux
>>
>>54306681
Steam is growing really much too.
The amount of Steam users on Linux is rising.
>>
>>54306798
Yeah they are ricing alright. That's all they do, all day.
>>
>>54305791
>that feeling when when

Typical loonixfag
>>
>>54307128
>feeling
Fuck off redditor
>>
it won't go extinct because of the hardware support
>>
>>54302962
Once hipsters start using it. That's how osx took a shit load of their market
>>
>>54303730
Informative post anon!
>>
File: yi0dS.jpg (139 KB, 1800x1012) Image search: [Google]
yi0dS.jpg
139 KB, 1800x1012
Everything you're talking about is for new installations and you are never going to kill windows completely dead until you provide a solution for all the thousands of old dead programs out there that only work on 95, 98, XP, etc. By 2025 the obsolete one will be 7, 8, 10 and all the stuff that's out there right now and we will be in the same boat where you'd have to support all of the proprietary shit out there now. And all of the 95-XP stuff will still probably be out there.

The big problem is when you have ancient software that was tied into hardware. In my case I had to reinstall 95 on an HP vectra and install this software from floppies to support a metal working company in 2013. They had spent at least over $50,000 on a router that used an HP vectra as its interface and its hard drive finally died.

Emulators have the same problem when there are tons of games that will never ever work because of all this low level hardware shit that went on in the rom and it wasn't made properly and the emulator freaks out and can't do it. I've seen extreme emulators that can somehow emulate the hardware through software, or if I'm not saying that correctly you know what I mean. But they always need like 1,000 times the power of the original hardware to do this. Point is you are gonna need the power to account for all of this old ass shit perfectly before businesses are going to change. They will always be living in the past by a factor of 15 years and that's where you need to attack it just as well as all of the new stuff.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.