[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I know which side is "left" - as in, which side
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
File: 20160430_083301 (1).jpg (921 KB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160430_083301 (1).jpg
921 KB, 3264x1836
How do I know which side is "left" - as in, which side I should read it from? Is this 120Ω (it must be), or is it 10kΩ (which would be ridiculous)? It looks like it could just as well be read from either side to me, and I assume there may be resistors where it's not so easy to eliminate one of the options.
>>
does not matter for a resistor
>>
>>54302614

What do you mean, doesn't matter? If I pick the wrong resistor I might ruin my stuff.
>>
>>54302611
just test it......
>>
>>54302626

Yeah, I guess, but that's more effort than being able to just read it properly
>>
It should have a gold or a silver band on one side. That will be your tolerance. That is the right side.
>>
File: 11066.png (7 KB, 373x448) Image search: [Google]
11066.png
7 KB, 373x448
>>54302611
pretty sure those colors signify something
>>
>>54302682

Obviously, but I'm asking from which direction to read them.
>>
>>54302684
left to right
>>
>>54302674
This is accurate.

>>54302684
You hold the resistor so the tolerance band (typically silver or gold) is on the right, then read the colour values from left to right.
>>
>>54302684
silver/gold a.k.a. the tolerance % is always on right, unless amerifats want to be different, which looks like the case here... There's no tolerance, not even empty space to signify clear (20%). Just look at the packaging you bought it in, or use a multimeter
>>
>>54302698

I'm European, but I guess it might have been produced by Amerifats. I'll have to root out my multimeter I guess. Thanks.
>>
That style of package is shit, i run across them all the time and it's always when I'm JUST out of arms reach of my multimeter. Most resistors do have a gold or silver tolerance band but there are other colours too for different tolerences. Clearly you have one there with a tolerence band in a weird value but makes it impossible to just read.

When you actually to install it in a circuit the orientation is irrelevent, resistors are not polarized, but knowing the direction for reading the bands is essential.
>>
120 Ω(± 1 %)
>>
what's ridiculous about 10kR?
>>
>>54302611
you're not going to find he answer here my friend :) this is a consumerism board
>>
What moron decided to make metal film resistors blue? It always makes it a pain to read their codes.
And sometimes it's also very greenish blue which makes it easy to confuse it with an inductor.
>>
>>54303514
Stop projecting your own ignorance on everyone here and just go back to your edc threads.
>>
10k Ω(± 1 %)
>>
>>54302706
>silver/gold a.k.a. the tolerance % is always on right,
Tolerance is only silver/gold on old, cheapy carbon film resistors. This is a five-band metal film. His confusion is justified.
(the tolerance band is supposed to be set farther away from the others. Most Chinese manufacturers suck and don't bother. You'll have to test it.)
>>
>>54303672
Thank you for a decent answer for OP, I was about to rage
>>
>>54302626
which way do you test it from though?
>>
>>54302614
>thread
Mfw babbys first electronics thread gets posted
>>
>>54302620
I think he meant that it doesn't matter which direction you solder it to your electronics.
But he just misunderstood your question probably.
>>
File: 1459710373177.gif (2 MB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1459710373177.gif
2 MB, 500x500
>>54302688
>>
>tfw labelled brown vishay-dale resistors
Color coding is deprecated desu
So are through-hole components in general for that matter but that's a different discussion
>>
>>54302611
There is no way to know it (or i was living my entire life in a lie, and electronics is my hobby so well). Check it with multimeter.
>>
>>54305933
Also, i'm not certain, but usually 10kohm ones are labeled brown->black->orange. Still, can't be sure, i've seen only brownblackorange ones so i assume there is some kind of unspoken standard.
>>
>>54302611
left side is right,right side is left :D
>>
>>54306158
:D
>>
>>54302614
>which side I should read from
>>
>>54302611
Red stripe must be incoming, hot.
>>
>all these retards
One bar is always slightly thicker, that is the first/left.
There is typically (but not always) a bigger space before the last band.
Use a magnifier to help if it's really small.
>>
>>54306251
none of which can be observed on op's resistor
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.