[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hey boys did you hear about this new vivaldi character in town?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5
File: vivaldibrowser.jpg (61 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
vivaldibrowser.jpg
61 KB, 2560x1440
hey boys

did you hear about this new vivaldi character in town?

this boy's stirrin up trouble and i'd love to hear your two cents
>>
>>54301606
its shit
>>
Absolute dog shit.
>>
>>54301610
F P B P
P P
B B
P P
>>
>>54301606
It's trash.

Pretty sure we told you that the last thirty times you made this thread.
>>
>>54301606
Quit pretending you haven't asked about your worthless browser countless times already, fucking shill
>>
>>54301606
Fucking shit

I liked the idea of a browser made by former opera developers (since i always liked Opera, til they dropped Presto) but that browser is absolute shit.
It uses even more resources than Chrome, while bringing literally nothing good to the table.
>>
>>54302185
It uses even more resources than Chrome
Of course, the whole UI is essentially a web page that's run in Chromium
>>
>>54301606
Literally just a skin for chrome
>>
>>54301606
Honestly I like it and since everybody on /g/ hates it than its probably not that bad. Still its very early to tell what will it become
>>
>>54302482
It isn't though. It's an entire web app built on top of Chromium, which is why it runs like absolute shit.

I wanted it to be good, given the people behind it and how terrible browsers generally are, but it's just not. They did everything on cheap rather than implementing anything properly. It's broken and bad at a fundemental level, and that means it's incredibly unlikely to change.

>>54304561
>le I have the bestest taste meme

Fuck off.
>>
File: dragon-eye2.png (178 KB, 487x469) Image search: [Google]
dragon-eye2.png
178 KB, 487x469
>>54301606
Use IceDragon
>>
File: 1432138724987.webm (379 KB, 800x430) Image search: [Google]
1432138724987.webm
379 KB, 800x430
>Vivaldi's interface does not rely on the same code you'll find in Chrome or Opera. In fact, the interface is written entirely with Web technologies, primarily Javascript and CSS. Javascript, React, Node.js, Browserify, and "a long list of NPM modules" create the Vivaldi UI. As the website puts it, "Vivaldi is the Web built with the Web."
>>
>>54301606
This is not a new browser. This is literally chromium opening a page that looks like a browser. It's shit too.
>>
>>54304712
>In fact, the interface is written entirely with Web technologies, primarily Javascript and CSS.

How is that different from Mozilla's XUL?
>>
>>54304784
Pages that firefox displays are not XUL and firefox do not require another software, perfectly capable of displaying those pages itself, to run. In short words, firefox is not a wrapper for another browser.
>>
>>54304784
It's worse.
>>
>>54301606
i was expecting much more from former members of opera. what every presto opera user had wanted was just a modernized opera 12. we don't care how you do it. reverse engineer it. start from scratch. who cares. just release an updated, compatible opera 12 and build on that. what do we get? fucking chrome. TWICE.
>>
>>54305030
I'll play devil's advocate here for a little bit.

I don't think they realised how shit of an idea it was to write it all in js on top of chromium. When Vivaldi started (first snapshots made public) there were not many js desktop application, and those that were present were rather simple, repackaged webpages. I would guess that they decided that they have the skill it takes to write a heavy but responsive js application, and ventured down that path. They tried many solutions along the way (early vivaldi was even using backbone) and made massive improvements. Those improvements however were no enough and Vivaldi ended up even slower and more resource heavy then it's base, chromium. That does not even touch other fuckups like untranslatable strings etc. I'm sure that when they started they thought that they can make it much better then it is now, but limitations of the technology appeared to be just too much. I'm sure that with knowledge they have today they would never pick up the stack they are using.
>>
File: 1428794645945.png (361 KB, 858x725) Image search: [Google]
1428794645945.png
361 KB, 858x725
>>54301606
I'M TIRED OF YOUR FUCKING SHILLING, GO AWAY FAGGOTS WITH YOUR TRASH BROWSER REEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>54305269
>whines about the shill
>bumps his thread
>>
>>54305190
what would be nice is if they were to cooperate with Otter Browser and Avant Browser. both of these are made by fans of presto opera and in their own way, capture the the feel of old opera to a further extent than vivaldi. heck, Avant browser may have even have an improved password manager than opera 12, giving you the option to edit sites and passwords.
>>
>>54304712
>not written in assembler
It's shit.
>>
>>54305286
(You)
saged
>>
>>54301606
Its pretty good.
>>
>>54301606
its pretty good.
the only thing its lacking is pinning off tabs, e-mail integration and some support for video playback.
>>
>>54301606
Another shitty chrome reskin. Garbage.
>>
>>54306212
Today everything is a reskin. Kid.
>>
>>54301639
What's the joke? Are you retarded or some shit?
>>
I have a portable version of Vivaldi. Should I even bother?
>>
>>54306292
What you are seeing is the most advanced cryptic massage.

Decrypted 3x3=9+4=13:
Install Gentoo
>>
File: lets go on that kessel run.jpg (11 KB, 271x342) Image search: [Google]
lets go on that kessel run.jpg
11 KB, 271x342
>>54306239
>>
All it is is chromium that has been fixed up by the former opera devs that runs pretty smoothly and has some neat features that makes it superior to the original browser.

It used to be shit a year ago, but it receives constant updates with features being added left and right.

For me, it fixed all the issues I would have with firefox and on top of that, I don't even need as many addons installed.
>>
>>54306471
Is there adblock? How much of a botnet is it?
>>
>>54301606
I have been using it for a little while now, as firefox doesn't display some images correctly. The UI is kind of shit, but the settings are plentiful and some of the things you can do are interesting but in the end kind of useless.
>>
>>54301606
stop advertising fucking tard
>>
Its utter shit
>>
>>54306586
No botnet.

Chrome extensions are available (which includes ublock).

If you don't want to use the botnet webstore, extensions can be installed manually.
>>
>>54306820
because installing extensions manually by first downloading them from the botnet webstore and them is more secure
>>
>>54306826
No?

Popular extensions like ublock and youtube center have manual versions on github.
>>
>>54306847
Ah sorry, I misunderstood then.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.