[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Picking a Language For Game Development
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 207
Thread images: 17
File: gamedevelopment.png (369 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
gamedevelopment.png
369 KB, 900x900
So /g/, how do I go about getting started on pursuing this potentially pointless but personally fulfilling task of mine.

My girlfriend and I are 22 and we still play video games and MTG. We think the kinds of backstories and lore behind our favorite games and movies are fascinating and we have an appreciation for the time and imagination that goes into some of the more successful and even some of the less successful ones that we personally like.

So we have ideas for video games and the universes and lore behind them. Before we die, we want to make these games, and I'm wondering how I should begin this as far as programming goes. Should I learn a programming language and that language's tools for graphics and user input before thinking about how the mechanics of the games would work? Or should I outline my ideal game mechanics and consider programming languages that would be better optimized for what I want?

We would never use RPG Maker, Game Maker, or anything with the tagline that sounds like "Easy enough for a 2 year old, flexible enough for a Ubisoft developer." We want to do everything the absolute hard way because in all honesty it's the only way to make a game (or any computer program for that matter) that isn't bloated copy pasta code bullshit.

tl;dr gf and i want to make and code our own games. Do we learn to program first or plan our games and then decide what tools are best? what languages are even good?

pic related, need a language that can do both resource-heavy and lightweight stuff, even if it takes learning to create my own libraries/extensions or using costly proprietary software

thanks for any advice you can give
>>
>>54301303
i don't know how to program, but i think the best way to look of what is possible alone with the tools in the past is roller coaster tycoon written on C solely
>>
>>54301361
*Assambler

sorry
>>
https://www.quora.com/Why-was-Roller-Coaster-Tycoon-written-in-assembly
>>
C or CPP. No other options.
>>
C ONLY
>>
Are undertale and hyper light drifter bloated bullshit?
>>
>>54301303
Use something like RPG maker, Pygame, XNA, etc, not too familiar with game development, although I am a developer and I've made games.

There is way time, code and effort that goes into even a relatively simple game than you could possibly imagine.

If you actually find yourself limited by the tools you've chosen (unlikely) then you can look into something with more flexibility.

Start by cloning simple games like Pong, Tetris, Space Invaders, it'll give you a better idea of what's involved. All those are reasonable to implement for someone with no experience in game development.
>>
I'd play around with a game engine before worrying about programming languages. Try out Amazon's new Lumberyard engine, it's completely free. If you like it, learn something that you can use with it.

>>54301435
Can't say about the former, but the latter definitely is.
>>
>>54301303
>shtting on GM
Is this bait
>>
File: marshmellow.jpg (113 KB, 800x571) Image search: [Google]
marshmellow.jpg
113 KB, 800x571
>>54301303
>complex ai
>Skyrim

rofl
>>
>>54301564
It's radiant!
>>
when making a game by your own there's 2 options

create your own engine, or use an exsiting engine

before that, do you want a 2D or 3D game. if it's a 3D game, forget about making your own engine, you won't finish by your own, if it's 2D then you have both options:

>create own engine (LibGDX, Starling, Cocos2D, Love2D)
+learn how to program (can help you get a programming related job)
+better understanding of how game works behind the scenes, (can help you get a video game developer job easier)
+if you have a really crazy original and unique idea, it's unlikely a game engine which is built around making games from existing genres help you
+you can brag you made the game from scratch
+no fees or revenue shares as the game engine belongs to you
-you might not be good at programming
-you really need to be into programming or else you won't be compelled into making the game
-the first weeks of months is all about code, no art, no level design, no story
-3D is close to impossible on your own, unless it's something randomly generated (minecraft), or something with few small levels (tower defense, fighting game)

>existing engine (Unity, Unreal, Gamemaker)
+start working on game level design/art/story from the start
+spend more time creating content from game rather than coding it to work
+great user interface to complex levels with ease
+don't need to be good programmer or even like programming to make complete games
-usually worse performance for 2D games if you don't know a lot about optimization
-engines have fees, from having to pay $400 to publish on phones, or 5% of your profits
-games that do not fit an existing popular genre might be hard to do with the existing tools
-it's much harder to get a job as a game developer only having worked with an existing engine than having made one on your own

Personal Advice coming on next post...
>>
>>54301564
i chose the picture because of the dragon. my girlfriend wants to make a game with dragons in it, and regardless of skyrims ai, our standards for ai for something like a dragon would be complex.
>>
>>54301303
>We would never use RPG Maker, Game Maker, or anything with the tagline that sounds like "Easy enough for a 2 year old, flexible enough for a Ubisoft developer." We want to do everything the absolute hard way because in all honesty it's the only way to make a game (or any computer program for that matter) that isn't bloated copy pasta code bullshit.

Bloat honestly shouldn't be a concern for you at this point. Check out Unity, it uses C# and there is a lot of community supported content and tutorials. You do not want to attempt to make your own engine. Just look at some of the people at /agdg/ who are actually good at programming but spend all their time writing engines and never making anything that comes anywhere near a game.

You should also severely limit the scope of your games. You're not going to make the next Skyrim especially when you have a two person team who at the moment know next to nothing about how to construct a video game.
>>
>>54301577

It comes down to a matter of:

>Do I want to start a career in game development, and likely make a living out of it?

or

>Do I want to make a game as a one time thing and then move on with my career focused on something else

if it's the second one, don't waste your time with your own engine, start with Unity/Unreal/Gamemaker or other and start making your game

if it's the first one, then first Learn how to program, make a small game like snake or pong, after you learn how to program and game engine logic, then you can move on to your bigger game

a part of programmer's joy is making the engine itself from scratch, if it depends on the person, some don't like programming at all, if this is you then just to for an existing engine
>>
>>54301577
>-it's much harder to get a job as a game developer only having worked with an existing engine than having made one on your own
Source?
>>
What game is on the bottom left?
>>
Most real programming languages don't have "native" facilities for graphics and input. You generally add libraries for that. I like using C++ and SFML.
>>
>>54301679
FFXV
>>
Writing your own engine is fun and helps you become a better coder, but building upon an existing engine is much more likely to result in a finished game. You should do both and don't be afraid to restart several times. You won't have anything resembling what you want to make for a few years no matter what you do.
>>
>>54301459
>>54301460
>>54301577
>>54301619
thanks for the help. i'm changing my "never" to "wouldn't prefer" because i wouldn't want to be dead set on writing my own engine for something really complex in a 3d or resource-heavy game if it takes a lifetime to do, especially if there's a chance i wouldn't even be able to accomplish my goal anyway

>>54301435
>>54301525
they might not be the worst choice but bloat is real when you pack a bunch of libraries and extensions that you're not using into something. i guess i'm more skeptical than anything else. if you reinvent the wheel you can leave out what you don't need and optimize much more effectively
>>
>>54301758
Don't optimize prematurely.

Clear, simple code is always better.

If your game runs poorly, profile it. You'll find that 1% of the code is taking 99% of the time. Only then work on optimizing, and only that 1%.
>>
Whichever one you find yourself most comfortable with after about a year or two of experience and can find a reasonable number of libraries to use.
>>
Unreal engine or Unity

Not gonna make a game tier: thinking you'll make your own engine in any language.

Serious question has it actually ever been done? for one person to make a 3D engine from scratch then actually make a game in it, and have a relevant product that isn't out of date by the time it's finished? No it hasn't, making your own engine is just a timesink that dropouts convince themselves is a worthy "project".

Honestly languages are too mainstream too you might as well write your own also so is the cpu architecture so make your own hardware as well. This sort of mentality leads to being a freetard stuck in the 80s.
>>
>>54301851
This mentality is the norm on /g/, with all the circlejerking over C
>>
>>54301851
Most "engines" are just your abstracted wrappers for OpenGL which you wrote yourself.

You sound like a nodev cunt.
>>
>>54301303
>We want to do everything the absolute hard way because in all honesty it's the only way to make a game (or any computer program for that matter) that isn't bloated copy pasta code bullshit.

Your post reveals that you no sweet fuck all about game development and programming, so where the fuck do you get off even making this statement?

Just use Unity or Unreal with C# or C++ respectively. Fuck off.
>>
Make some games in Scratch or RPG Maker before jumping into anything like Unity, UE, etc.

Jumping straight into trying to make a functional, 3d game with a language like C++ is never going to happen unless you have a background in programming.
>>
Do you want your game to be shit?

>No
Then use C[++].

>Yes
Then use anything else.
>>
>>54301900
The first sign that they knew nothing was asking /g/ first. Do they not know how to google?
>>
Is there actively developed 3D engine which exports C api?
I think Irrlicht does but is there any other?
>>
>>54301920
OpenGL, the industry standard.
>>
>>54301920
uhhh ioq3?
>>
>>54301900
thank you
>>54301901
yeah, i'm starting to realize my initial ideas about this might've been completely wrong. i might be more tech illiterate than i thought.
>>
>>54301303
>in all honesty it's the only way to make a game (or any computer program for that matter) that isn't bloated copy pasta code bullshit.
>Do we learn to program first or...

Why are you making such strong blanket statements about shit that you know absolutely nothing about?
>>
>>54301969
Every newb who wants to make games does that.
>>
>>54301303
what a faggot
ok retard listen here

You want to use DirectX if you want to be hardcore. Look up DirectXtk and DirectX 11 programming (there are some books about it)

GLFW works as well, but that's with OpenGL
>>
>>54301950
As someone in college for game development and compsci I promise you that
1) Making a game is exponentially harder than you think it is right now
2) The impact of the "bloat" you're worried about is insignificant compared to the time you'll save by using an existing engine
3) Your first game will likely suck regardless

If you really want to make games start with very small projects and use preexisting engines like Unity. They're popular for a reason.
>>
>>54302050
>in college for game development
Couldn't cut it in a big boy industry, huh?
>>
games are all c++ and frankly it suits them the best. with interpreted languages, performance can become a problem even in some 2d games. java and c# dont quite give the programmer as much control as a lower level language (and c# is windows only). also, java is a bitch to write.
tldr c++ is the industry standard
>>
>>54302057
Everyone has to start somewhere.
>>
>We would never use RPG Maker, Game Maker, or anything with the tagline that sounds like "Easy enough for a 2 year old, flexible enough for a Ubisoft developer." We want to do everything the absolute hard way because in all honesty it's the only way to make a game (or any computer program for that matter) that isn't bloated copy pasta code bullshit.

I'll stop you right there. It's obvious from that paragraph that you have no programming skills.

1. The best programmers often copy paste code. You want to build and ship your product ASAP. It's the most fun and enjoyable way of doing it. Programming can be a lot of fun, don't make it a chore.

2. Don't get snobby about things being easy. Hard work doesn't necessarily mean you're working hard. It could just mean you're working stupidly. It's like owning an excavation company and instead of using an excavator or digger, you use a teaspoon because you think it build character or will help you be better at operating the machine or whatever other bizarre reason.

tl;dr Don't discard tools or tech because you think it's nooby.

I would also recommend you learn to program in c# and Unity. Even if your games suck. You have valuable programming skills in a language that's highly sought after in corporate world. Once you learn c#, Java will be easy to learn. It's the difference between American English and British English as opposed to other languages which would be like English compared to Latin or Japanese.
>>
Unity + C#
Best combo for indie devs

If you're a large company you have your own game engine so it doesn't matter.
>>
>>54301851
>making your own engine is just a timesink that dropouts convince themselves is a worthy "project".

>Honestly languages are too mainstream too you might as well write your own also so is the cpu architecture so make your own hardware as well. This sort of mentality leads to being a freetard stuck in the 80s.

This is a wise Anon, possessing wisdom of which I thought had left this realm many winters previous.
>>
>>54301900
Yay, I'm not the only one who had this thought. A bit rude though. We all have to start somewhere.
>>
>>54301303
>girlfriend
>my
jej
>>
>>54302274
Seconded, C# is hot right now too, easy to get a job.
>>
testing the code tags.

Echoing what others said. C# is the best one to start with. Learn OOP then transition to C++ if you want to make megabux.
>>
>>54301303
>dump your gf
>then proceed
>>
>>54301303

This is a bad opinion
>>
>>54302274
C# doesn't matter so much since Unity can do JS and Boo. Unity is just piss easy to work with so you could write it in any of the 3
>>
File: 1402214883739.gif (2 MB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1402214883739.gif
2 MB, 250x250
>>54302388
> Using Javascript with Unity

That's a good way to get laughed out of the room.
>>
>>54302378
I think so as well. If OP was already a skilled programmer, sure, try from scratch for the amusement of programming. But he's asking about languages and is getting his girlfriend involved too. He should start out simple so that he can actually make something.

step one to making a game or software, ACTUALLY MAKE THE SOFTWARE

If you roadblock yourself from the start you might not ever reach a minimum viable product.
>>
>>54302057
Difficulty Wise: GameDev > Pajeets Java Contact Book v1.0
>>
>>54302395
which room, OPs living room? He's doing a hobby project with his girlfriend, not applying for a dev job
>>
>not D
everyone here is retarded
>>
>>54302421
C# will give better performance for his game than boo fool.
>>
>>54302424
>proprietary language
not even once
>>
>>54302410
Yeah and if I'm being too harsh, there are also happy mediums in between straight up building your engine and using rpg maker or some shit. There are some decent, no-nonsense low-bloat frameworks like phaser or love2d and OP should stop being a pissy elitist.
>>
>>54302451
dmd is open source dumbass
>>
>>54302374
>believing said 'gf' exists
>>
>>54302503
>being this embittered
>>
>>54301851
Cube/Cube2
Just because you have limited imagination doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
>>
>>54301577
>-3D is close to impossible on your own, unless it's something randomly generated (minecraft), or something with few small levels (tower defense, fighting game)

It may be hard for you, but it not necessary hard for other people.
>>
File: 1460156123732.png (245 KB, 900x827) Image search: [Google]
1460156123732.png
245 KB, 900x827
>>54301303
>/v/ shitter wants to learn programming for "muh gayms"
Learn and use C or get the fuck off this board and commit suicide.
>>
>>54301605
A science-based dragon MMO?
>>
File: 1444781593967.jpg (112 KB, 1152x864) Image search: [Google]
1444781593967.jpg
112 KB, 1152x864
>>54301303
>Skyrim
>complex AI
>>
>>54302449
Barely. It's all compiled to bytecode for Unity. If you use static types there will be little difference. Unity is dropping Boo, sticking with just JS and C#. C# is better for the documentation but there is no issue with Unity's JS
>>
>>54301303

You shouldn't just dismiss certain game creation tools just becuase of your own opinion of them. And just for reference, tobyfox made undertale in game maker and it has now sold over 1,450,00 copies not including non-steam sales. Love it or hate it, even if toby only got $2. 00 out of the $9.99 it sells for on steam (which is highly unlikely) he has become a millionaire by enjoying making a game in a basement.
>>
>>54301851
>if you're too shit to make your own game, just make your own assets and insert them into someone else's proprietary shitfest :^)
>>
>>54301931
if she wants to make mobile app or web based game
>>
>>54301303
Use JavaScript with PixelScript engine.
>>
>>54301303
If you want to make a game, then be realistic and use unity.

If you want to make a game with an engine you own, make a game with Urho3D or Godot, they are pretty decent.

If you are die-hard enjoy making your retarded pixelshit with C/C++ and SDL2.
>>
>>54305649
except most of your hated pixelshit is made with the very meme languages you recommend

?
>>
>>54305649
How mature is Urho3D? Looks like it's a few years old now.
I've checked out Godot and it seems like it will be good but right now it feels very "new", the editor is just not flushed out yet. The official tutorials are pretty good but there aren't many 3rd party guides yet.

on a similar note, Cocos2d is open source like that but the docs are just a complete cluster fuck. There are several different versions and never any up-to-date guides. Seems like 90% of the info out there is for iOS dev and old versions
>>
>>54301851
Making a game in C using OpenGL is still considered "making your own engine", because a library isn't an engine, and a graphics library certainly isn't a game engine.

As a 1st year in CS we did this, as a "wow programming is so cool you can make games get excited!" kind of thing.

It's not hard, maybe you should give it a try, practically every language has a graphics library or 10.
>>
>>54301303
Just go with Unreal or Unity3D
>>
>>54301303
How much performance do you need? I would recommend learning some Python at first with Pygame and then later on move to Unity + C# or Unreal + C++.
Gotta take some small steps at first because if you learn while making a big game you'll end up getting tired by it.
>>
>>54301851
uh, minecraft?
>>
>>54301303
>"Easy enough for a 2 year old, flexible enough for a Ubisoft developer." We want to do everything the absolute hard way because in all honesty it's the only way to make a game

Oh do piss off. You state yourself you're not a programmer, yet you have the gall to have an opinion like that? As if all worthy games are wrote completely in machine code.

If you just want to make a game, and have no intent to go further into programming than that, then just pick up either GameMaker or Unity and go wild. It's not like you have the artistic merit to pick up UE4 and actually make something worthwhile.

That's like saying you're going to start running, and then saying that anything that isn't a marathon isn't worth your time or a real run.
>>
>>54301303
>Java

FUCK OFF
>>
>>54301303
>My girlfriend and I
Fuck off normalshit. I hope your girlfriend gets ass cancer and dies.
>>
File: 1236129119721.jpg (11 KB, 265x297) Image search: [Google]
1236129119721.jpg
11 KB, 265x297
>Skyrim
>Complex AI
>>
C# Mono has a framework for building 3d games and all that, and is cross-platform.
The consequence is that C# is optimized like a fucking turd, so you're going to use a lot of resources you wouldn't otherwise.
>>
>>54306781
Java is perfectly sufficient for most indie game developers, not to mention they don't have to worry about memory management.
>>
>>54301361
>>54301375
TTD and RCT were assembly when some bits of C to interact with the operating system.
>>
>>54301303
God damn this isn't reddit. Listen here, programming isn't a tool, it's a craft. One does not simply learn how to code, It's takes years of practice on the low level side. Maybe you should do game design instead.
>>
>>54306947
>God damn this isn't reddit.
Meaning what exactly? It's not like /g/ is normally comprised of talented compiler writers.
>>
>>54306947
>implying >>>/g/ is comprised of a more technical crowd than reddit

bitch the main difference is we aren't afraid to call out bullshit and faggotry and depending of the subreddit you actually have people working on fcc, clang, Linux and BSD kernels participating in the discussions
>>
>>54307228
>fcc
meant gcc, although i wouldnt be surprised if people from the fcc actually participated in some discussions
>>
>>54302256
^Fucking this^
>Open a Software Engineering Book
> first page says "Copy and reuse the shit out of code, if 4GL exists use them too"
I dont know whats with people wanting to reinvent the wheel when theres no need, maybe people need to prove themself with something, but if there is an api or a librari that already does what you want to do just use it holy shit.
>>
File: 1442172738288.jpg (115 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
1442172738288.jpg
115 KB, 960x960
Reasonably, is it possible for a single person with, say, 5 years of experience in C/C++/ASM and a few scripting languages to make a 3D engine tailored to the needs of a particular game, within, say, 3 years ?
>>
C / Vulkan
>>
>>54302418
>believing that those are the only two jobs that exist
wew lad
>>
>>54301303
>implying game developing from scratch won't take you and your gf 3~5 years
>gf
>implying your relationship will last that long
>>
>>54301605
>i chose the picture because of the dragon. my girlfriend wants to make a game with dragons in it, and regardless of skyrims ai, our standards for ai for something like a dragon would be complex.
>guaranteed chuckle.
>>
>>54301697
How are those libraries written in the first place?
>>
>>54301303
Do you want to make a game or a game engine?

The former: Game Maker, RPG Maker, Unity, Unreal Editor

The latter: Various frameworks in various languages including C#, C++, Python, Java
>>
>>54301303
Cities: skyline was written in c#
>>
>>54307416

Unlikely. Look at some of the projects that are going on for things like open morrowind. It takes groups to make that shit.

Better off with an open source project to make one. Also with the way things are now software like unreal and unity offer up most of their shit for customization anyways.
>>
C++
>>
>>54301303
If you're not a hipsters, C++. If you're a hipster and making a small 2D game, anything will do as long as it has bindings to opengl and sdl. If you're a hipster and making a 3D and/or larger game, Rust and ATS will almost definitely work, while ocaml and haskell might possibly be good enough(tm).

If you're serious and want to make an AAA game, use UE4 and call it a day.
If you're serious and have no clue about programming, make a 2D game in gamemaker or a 3D game in UE4 blueprints.
>>
>>54308853
No wonder it performs like absolute garbage!
>>
>>54307416
Yes, see Mountain Blade (made by a husband and his wife, alone, and probably without much external tools seeing how shit the engine is and how special the options and combat are). What you need is to be REALLY dedicated to it. You don't need to program 24/7 or anything, but you need to be ready to bang your head on a wall after a critical bug develops that you don't know how to solve, as the process could take weeks.
>>
>>54309280
Mountain Blade?

Do you mean Mount & Blade?
>>
>>54308176
They abstract over platform-specifc (i.e. OS-specific) facilities (which themselves abstract over hardware-specific facilities). E.g.
#if defined (__WIN32)
#include <win32_specific_header.h>
special_win32_init()
#else
#if defined(__HOMOSEX)
#include <gay_header.h>
gay_init()
#endif
>>
>>54309296
>he doesn't know about the dank memes
Wew pleb
>>
File: shamecube.gif (496 KB, 250x188) Image search: [Google]
shamecube.gif
496 KB, 250x188
>>54302410
>tfw learned this the hard way and came out the other side a worse programmer
>>
>>54301303
Deciding to make a career in video games developing is like deciding for a career in drug dealing... both are equally degenerate.
>>
>>54309645
>>>/pol/
However, a career in corporate game-making is hell and only pays well a long time down the line.
>>
File: 1450736753700.jpg (74 KB, 707x682) Image search: [Google]
1450736753700.jpg
74 KB, 707x682
>>54301303
it's really simple. do you want to make something cool with custom mechanics and functionality? there is no way around writing your own framework. you can go from a boiler plate engine like libgdx, but there is no other way around.
if you just want to make jump'n'run or ego shooter 5000 you can use unity or the like.
and don't listen to any fags here who tell you to write it <insert meme language>. programming languages are tools and not lifestyle choices.
>>
If you want your game to be multiplayer it's going to be a bitch to code yourself. Save yourself the hassle and use Unity or something.
>>
>>54309320
Sorry for not being a cool kid :(((
>>
>>54309789
>Unity
>>>/trash/
>>
>>54301577
>+learn how to program (can help you get a programming related job)
This takes 10+ years unless you want the result to be shitty
>>
>>54308176
Basically the display has a "graphics buffer" which is like a dedicated bit of memory that holds "pixel data" which is just a bunch of ints that tell the display the red-green-blue values for each pixel. When you write to the graphics buffer it gets displayed on the screen. All of this probably happens in the graphics driver. I'm not an expert but that's my understanding of it. At a certain level it's more systems/driver programming than "game" programming.
>>
File: 1442991161450.jpg (214 KB, 444x467) Image search: [Google]
1442991161450.jpg
214 KB, 444x467
>>54309840
are you mentally challenged?
>>
>>54309840
It takes about 1 year unless you're clinically retarded.
>>
>>54301697
>not writing your own graphics drivers from scratch and hard-coding syscalls in your application

>not banging bits onto the PCI bus
>>
>>54309866
>ints
LEL
>>
>>54309886
bytes? same thing
>>
File: 1453825529767.png (24 KB, 235x234) Image search: [Google]
1453825529767.png
24 KB, 235x234
>>54301303
>refuses to use gamemaker because he can't make anything original with it

Hotline Miami, Nuclear Throne, Gun Godz and a lot of other very good indie games are made with Gamemaker.

See the thing is, you are just starting out. And you don't even know a programming language. Yet you wanna do something the hard way? Do you have any idea just how much work a video game is? Even with an engine like Byond, Gamemaker or Unity.

Learn something simple, like RPGMaker, move up to something like Byond or Gamemaker, then try out maybe Unity or UE. Then try to make a game in a more advanced SDK like Cryengine.

Finally, try out a much more open engine like Doom3. You need to be a Carmack-tier developer to make your own engine, which considering you are 22 and are asking these simple questions, I'm going to tell you that you aren't. You will get burnt out if you try that. You will get burnt out if you try doing anything advanced. Start small, get good and build up your skills. It takes time to get good enough to make complex systems and you haven't even started yet.

t. Gamedev about to launch a KS for his first public game.

I've been working on it for about 6 months now, in gamemaker and it's a relatively simple adventure game, albeit with some complex systems. You are severely underestimating the work that goes into making a game, even a simple one. Guarantee it.
>>
>>54309950
Link your game bro.
>>
>>54309950
loli rape simulator?
>>
>>54309976
Aka your life?
>>
>>54309869
>>54309875
Learning how to program poorly != learning how to program well

How many years do you think John Carmack was programming for before he wrote the Doom engine?
>>
File: game.png (24 KB, 799x599) Image search: [Google]
game.png
24 KB, 799x599
>>54309973
Not in the mood for viraling, but here's a shitty screenshot I have saved from months ago.

>>54309976
Fuck off to newfapchan, degenerate.
>>
>>54309903
Floats, tard.
>>
>>54310014
Not sure if clinically retarded or inbred.jpg
>>
>>54309875
It doesn't take 10 years, but 1 year isn't at all long enough to be a good programmer. At least 3 years high level dev to learn a lot of neat tricks and get readability down pat without making a planning document, a year or two with C to understand memory optimization and another 3 doing assembly to understand intricate pipeline optimization. That's the bare minimum if you are very competent.
>>
>>54310060
Inbred it is I take it.
>>
>>54310109
Spotted the js memedev
>>
>>54310041
Sorry
>>
>>54310128
at least he doesnt need 10 years to learn things you can read up in one afternoon.
>>
>>54301605
does she have a dragon dildo?
>>
>>54301303
Before you write a single line of code your gf will have left you.

However, first all the mechanics, then the game. You will have to fix your mechanics later, but you will make desicions in development according to your mechanics beforehand which helps a noob like you.
>>
>>54301303
c++ and the free unreal engine.
unity if you want "easier".
>>
File: stop.png (97 KB, 350x337) Image search: [Google]
stop.png
97 KB, 350x337
>>54310168
>at least he doesnt need 10 years to learn things you can read up in one afternoon.
Let's see your github then lad. Or better yet, write some ARM right now that inverts a binary tree then outputs it accordingly assuming you have stdout reading your string register everytime it's pushed.
>>
>>54310216
wow that does sound useful. I bet the only thing you ever worked on is fizzbuzz on g.
>>
>>54310207
It's only easier for the first 5 minutes, then it becomes hell. check the agdg archive for more objective details (of course there's also a lot of unity shilling and bashing without specifics, but there are also thorough explanations of why unity sucks).
>>
File: 1446087472390.png (139 KB, 284x354) Image search: [Google]
1446087472390.png
139 KB, 284x354
>>54310241
>Can't even perform basic manipulations on common data structures
>Covers it up with a piss-weak alibi "why would I do that lol that's so useless xD"
Literally outed as the js memedev you really are.
>>
File: g0204[1].png (13 KB, 528x223) Image search: [Google]
g0204[1].png
13 KB, 528x223
>>54310133
>>54310041
Pretty sure it's just bytes though.
>>
>>54306859
What are the pitfalls of Java though?
>>
>>54310291
>pretty sure it's just electical signals though.
>pretty sure it's just electrons though.
>pretty sure it's just my dick up your ass though.
>>
>>54310283
>thinks he outed jackshit with meme arrows
back to your first semester of meme-science, kiddo
>>
>>54310293
you will be made fun off on g
>>
>>54301303
OP, do not go down the programming path.
Step 1. Aquire some funds or programmers for hella cheap. Market should be flooded by now.
Step 2. Offer beer as your primary benefit for your start up.
Step 3. decompile working games from unity if you need to learn fast. There are some games like Elsword which have interesting mechanics. If you wish to integrate online mechanics, find games other than this korean piece of shit.

4.... ?
>>
>>54310041
parrot spotted.
>>
>>54310060
>a year or two with C to understand memory optimization and another 3 doing assembly to understand intricate pipeline optimization.
Do you really need this shit to be a competent programmer? Pretty sure there's a good deal of good programmers who don't have those under them.
>>
>>54310321
Yeah but they're not floats, floats have a certain format...they're just bytes.
>>
>>54310349
>Step 1. Aquire some funds or programmers for hella cheap. Market should be flooded by now.
Even if it is flooded, it's not like they got cheaper to hire.
>>
>>54310283
What's this meme about js
>>
>>54310395
>Do you really need this shit to be a competent programmer?
No, /g/ is just full of college students who think they're hot shit for acing their school's super duper hard computer architecture course.
>>
>>54310395
Yes. You won't have nearly as much of an intimate understanding of how a program works if you skip it.

The result is you don't even sacrifice readability with the techniques you learn from delving into the lower levels. You just learn how to make your software run 10x faster by changing the order and the way you call things.

Every video game that was optimized had a smart developer behind it who understood pipeline optimization. Just take a look behind what made GTAV's rendering so cheap, it's actually rather fascinating.

>>54310465
Because Web developers are often memey hipsters who washed out of comp sci, js is a butt of the joke language.
>>
>>54310517
Then what should be used in place of js
>>
>>54310558
static sites newfag
now get >>>/out/
>>
>>54310558
Anything whatsoever.
>>
>>54310395
There's three levels of programmers.

Code Monkeys, Competants and Good programmers.

Code Monkeys are your standard pajeet/startup slave boys. They troll stack overflow and copypaste code to make awful systems full of spaghetti and generally are terrible programmers.

Competant programmers are your average joes. They know better than code monkeys and they get the job done, but they don't generally get payed very much and are almost as easy to replace as code monkeys. Their existence is always threatened by code monkeys who offer (to management's perception) the same skills at a much cheaper rate.

Then you have the good programmers. These are the people who rake in large swathes of cash and generally lead complex projects. While they are especially endagered by managerial shitters replacing them with competant and code monkey tier developers, they can usually snag a job at some place like Google or IBM and have a very well paying job with very good job security. These are the people who generally have their own compilers that have been custom tailored to speed up their development time, or at the very least modified GCC to do the same.
>>
>>54310614
>These are the people who generally have their own compilers that have been custom tailored to speed up their development time, or at the very least modified GCC to do the same
wew lad
>>
>>54310636
>He hasn't even written a compiler as an exercise to test his skill, let alone as a robust toolset that is far easier for him to debug
This always kind of makes me sad. That people on this board have no ambition. It took me a year to write my first compiler, and it made me a much better programmer and it looks great on a resume.
>>
>>54301303
Just use Unity. Thought it was a meme engine but I used it for a course. It's okay and I was surprised by what you can do with it, given my colored impression it thanks to /g/ and /v/.
>>
>>54310614
>These are the people who generally have their own compilers that have been custom tailored to speed up their development time, or at the very least modified GCC to do the same.
top lel
>>
>>54310676
not everyone has a year to waste
>>
>>54310676
You know what's an even better learning experience that looks even better on a resume and will take your career farther? Industry experience. Instead of rebuilding the wheel in autistic projects (which will never work as well as the industry standard products), go do an internship or co-op program for a year.
By doing this, you'll:
>work with and learn from people who are way better than you
>work on real software
>learn about what it's like to work in the real world
>make contacts
>get the one thing that interviewers actually care about: EXPERIENCE
>get paid for your time
>>
>>54310676
>It took me a year to write my first compiler, and it made me a much better programmer and it looks great on a resume.
If you use your own home-made compiler for your toy language in serious production code, get the fuck out of my company.
>>
>>54310718
I wrote it off and on as a hobby a few hours at a time a few times a week, it's not like I'm some friendless NEET. It would have taken me probably a few months if I dedicated all my time to it.

But instead you'd rather fuck with your arch configs, waste your time trying to get back into private trackers so you can torrent more uguu animes, and shitpost in IRCs than actually develop useful skills while developing a plan to make a company. Where's your ambition? Are you really going to waste this one single life that you have being mediocre?
>>
File: 1460897019713.jpg (740 KB, 800x1132) Image search: [Google]
1460897019713.jpg
740 KB, 800x1132
>>54301303
can somebody explain this image?

what do the line of 6 programming languages at the bottom signify?

They have no clear mapping or relation to the games in question as far as I know
>>
>>54310614
There's one level of programmers: codemonkeys.
Non-codemonkeys aren't programmers. They're computer scientists, mathematicians, physicists, etc.
>>
>>54310790
There's nothing wrong with being mediocre.
>>
>>54310682
It's the definition of a meme engine.
Shills belong on >>>/reddit/
>>
>>54310795
They signify the mainstream programming languages, isn't it obvious?
>>
>>54301577
>create own engine (LibGDX, Starling, Cocos2D, Love2D)

yeah, go full Falco.
>>
>>54310836
what relation do they have to the dicothomies between design choices above?

what is the significance of including them in that position in that order?
>>
>>54310736
I have a job already and wrote my compiler in my free time. I love how everybody who is lazy on this board assumes everybody else is as lazy as them.

No, I have a job, I go out with my friends, I visit my parents. That doesn't stop me from continually getting better at my craft.

I spend at most an hour a day on the internet as a release, the rest is on getting good, discussing things with associates, creating a plan for the future, exercise and maintaining a personal life. I understand that some people are comfortable going to work and then coming home to veg about and maybe going down to the bar with some friends every now and again, but that's not for me.

Where the hell did this assumption that everybody who does something with their free time rather than spend all of it shitposting on reddit, SA and 4chan is some NEET neckbeard loser who has no prospects? Is it because punching up makes you feel bigger?
>>
>>54310896
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>54309840

yeah man, it also takes 10 years of punching a tree to be a martial art master

this guy gets it!
>>
>>54310921
I can shitpost on two sites at the same time, thank you. My allocated free hour is almost up, please don't waste my time with lowball shitposts.
>>
>>54310948
>>54310921
>>
>>54310948
>>54310984
>>
>>54310896
>I love how everybody who is lazy on this board assumes everybody else is as lazy as them
It's true for a good 90% of every body.
>>
>>54301577
There's three options, the third being to simply create a game. Technically, you'll create an engine that's limited to exactly the type of game you've made, but there's a vast difference between writing an engine and writing a game.
>>
>>54311010
Explain how this is different from the second option and why there's a difference between writing an engine and a game.
>>
>>54310921
He's clearly an autist, and belongs here. You, however, seem to be some fucking newfag, and don't belong here.
>>>/out/
>>
>>54301303
c++ since you're going to be writing the engine yourself.
>>
>>54311193
>he
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>54301642
But given the fact that the graphics engines are more and more complex, why not go for a SDK?
>>
Can't believe no one else has said it... Guess all you assholes are trying to lead OP astray.

OP there's one true language that is exactly perfect for what you want to do:

Common Lisp.

Engine, game, everything.... Common Lisp.

Common Lisp

You know you want to.

Common Lisp.
>>
>>54311275
You should at least explain why or else you just sound like every other shill in this thread.
>>
>>54311041
An engine tells you what you are allowed to do. It's like science that describes the way things work. Making a game is like doing something in the world described by science. For example baking a cake. You only need to know that you can process and mix ingredients and heat them.

>>54311214
>>54311193
>>
>>54301303
For 2d games that don't need to run on potatos, try Python. For 3d, C, C++ or Rust. Or use Unity engine if you like swimming in shit.
>>
>>54306859
Name a few successful Java-based game other than Runescape and Minecraft
>>
>>54312554
every android game ever
>>
>>54310293
It's just not for game development, at all

it's an enterprise software language through and through
>>
>>54312569
ehh fair enough
but I was assuming we weren't talking about mobile/app development

Java desktop games are a legitimate rarity
>>
>>54312598
>Java desktop games are a legitimate rarity
because the people who would actually profit from using java rather use unity. most games you see on steam could be written in python and work just fine.
>>
>>54311193
>muh family
>muh friends
>muh job

>he's clearly an autist
>and belongs here
>>
>>54301303
Here is the harsh truth from someone with experience.

Game development takes years to learn, your first game will be garbage, your second game will be shit, your 10th game might be decent and your 20th game might be good. It takes a LOT of experience to even know what a simple thing like a "jump" should feel and look like, making a complex game with countless of mechanics and features is not something you can do with 2 people and some basic programming skill. It's not just a matter of "learning a programming skill". Game development is (most of the time) not even worth the gigantic effort, you will feel like giving up every single day, with bugs, problem and days without any progress whatsoever.

What I'm saying is this, think small first before you even CONSIDER doing something big.
>>
Has anybody here made a roguelike?

Like an actual fucking rogulike not the retarded roguelite bullshit that indie faggots relentlessly shit out

ASCII graphics should make the visual part much easier
Movement is simple, grid and turn-based

Am I right in that combat and AI will be the biggest challenges here?

I've been daydreaming of this for years, but never had time for it until now
>>
>>54313192
Yes, AI is the most difficult part of it and it'll probably stump you for the majority of your development.
>>
>>54313211
at least it will turn me into a refined developer
>>
File: IMG_20160501_001501.jpg (136 KB, 1079x1077) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160501_001501.jpg
136 KB, 1079x1077
Best framework/engine to mess about on for someone who writes in C?
>>
>>54309544
kek. I like learned it the hard way but got better because of it. I did it once with friends working on a huge overambitious projects that never got off the ground. Now we write out road maps and a minimum viable product before we begin writing code
>>
>>54309976
rapelay loli mod when?
>>
>>54313891
Doom/Quake, I have not found any engine packages that accepted C, only C++

so second best option is old Id games that can be found on github.
>>
>>54314349
Or any idtech engine. I think idtech 5 is C++, though, but writing C bindings should be easy enough.
>>
>>54311309
because he is
Thread replies: 207
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.