[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's you opinion on Delphi? Is it really dead?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: Borland_Delphi_4_screenshot.png (48 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Borland_Delphi_4_screenshot.png
48 KB, 1024x768
What's you opinion on Delphi? Is it really dead?
>>
>>54301205
fuck that brings back some memories

stopped using it in 2007 when i changed jobs and haven't used it since
>>
Using it for Runescape botting
>>
Pretty sure it's still used for malware sometimes by literal neck beards, kek
>>
Is Object Pascal still in use today? I see it praised on /g/ all the time
>>
It's been dead for years, but retards keep using it because they lack the intelligence to learn something better.
>>
>>54301478
yeah it's popular for GUI RAT clients for some reason. Servers are usually written in C.
>>
>>54301205
FL studio uses delphi
>>
>>54301369
could you elaborate?
>>
>>54303304
Was about to say this. Are they still using Delphi with 12 though? Things are no longer backwards compatible
>>
>>54301205

I used it for a few years in my previous job.

Old delphi is still very much alive in legacy systems. When it becomes cost effective to port those systems to Java/Python they will do so.

New Delphi (With things like firemonkey and automatic parallelism) have tried and failed to get any attention because the IDE costs $4000 and comes with 1/100 the features and 1/1e6 the community of Eclipse which is free. You have to install a third party addon just to get proper syntax highlighting and the damn thing crashes constantly and has no documentation.

If Embarcadero would just make a free version and market it at schools like Borland did then maybe it would get some attention. They seem to be intent on extracting as much money out of the legacy systems as they can, fully in the knowledge that they can't compete with Java.
>>
>>54303478
>New Delphi (With things like firemonkey and automatic parallelism) have tried and failed to get any attention because the IDE costs $4000 and comes with 1/100 the features and 1/1e6 the community of Eclipse which is free.
are they literally retarded? I read about how Borland killed Delphi and itself and now this shit. Delphi would have been one of the most used languages:
>safer than C and C++
>doesn't require a VM to run
>intuitive syntax
>fast
>fast compile time
>>
>>54303520

Delphi itself is great if you want to rapidly build a GUI heavy windows application; It's like Visual Basic but its faster.

Like all languages you can write extremely messy Delphi. In the wild the worst Delphi offenders are people that combine extremely low level code with functional code. Delphis generics are awful as it is, but sprinkled with assembly it's like staring into the abyss.

I don't think anyone knows what Embarcadero are doing, including themselves. They seem to have no idea what the industry needs in the modern age.
>>
>>54303337
Well, it's Pascal.

Google up Simba
>>
Delphi got me into programming. It was ridiculously easy to make a GUI and hook shit up and make a neat app. Adding in custom components was piss easy too. I haven't seen many modern development environments which have replicated the feel and consistency of delphi.

Nowadays though apart from lazarus its pretty much dead.
>>
File: 1461980368835.jpg (615 KB, 1523x899) Image search: [Google]
1461980368835.jpg
615 KB, 1523x899
>>54301205
still use it but haven't move to the latest version
>>
File: 1461981431788.jpg (287 KB, 1522x897) Image search: [Google]
1461981431788.jpg
287 KB, 1522x897
>>54305123
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.