[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
On the lookout for a digital camera that can handle being knocked
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 10934027-1396971503-706823.jpg (33 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
10934027-1396971503-706823.jpg
33 KB, 600x600
On the lookout for a digital camera that can handle being knocked around and getting wet. Basically outdoors kind of stuff.Any advice /g/? It needs to take great picture quality and still be reasonably priced. Been looking at pic related, but reviews say it shit picture quality.
>>
I have that same camera, OP.

It's not high end, but the pictures are about average for a point and shoot camera. Much better than most cell phones, much worse than most DSLRs.

I've also dropped it off a rollercoaster and gone snorkeling with it. I like it, no regrets. I got mine refurbished, it was pretty cheap.

Only gripe is the battery is tiny. Video will kill it in less than two hours.
>>
>>54301357
>dropped it off a roller coaster
Explain
>>
>>54301098

Go Pros/Similar sports cameras are rugged as hell. Only issue is that they tend to be video focused, and have super-wide angle lens.

Olympus' TG-3 is a pretty good pocket camera that's also rugged/submersible.

I've got an old Sony TX20 which is "rugged' but doesn't look like a Tonka Toy. I don't think I'd drop it off a rollercoaster, but I've taken it to the beach with my tons of times.
>>
>>54302581
They also have terrible batter life...
Ive owned a GoPro in the past, and it bricked 3 batteries, making them completely worthless and unchangeable. Not worth the money.
>>
>>54302598

Ya always got trade offs one way or another when it comes to cameras, dude.

Make something tiny and rugged, and it'll have shit battery life.
Make something rugged with good battery life you end up with the SeaLife Micro 2.0, which has shit image quality cause fisheye lens
Make something rugged with good image quality, and it costs a fortune like the Leica X-U

You gotta decide what the fuck you want to deal with. Everything is going to have something it sucks at. And most of them suck REALLY bad at the thing they suck at.

"Pros" use heavy duty underwater shells or insured lenses/bodies for their work. They'll shoot using a semi-rugged DSLR/Mirrorless like the D4s/A7SII and if it breaks, they have insurance to get a new one.
>>
>>54302662
Bricking batteries isn't a "trade off" typical of most cameras. Just shitty ones from a shitty company like Gopro that puts defunct cameras on the shelf.
>>
>>54302679

It seriously sounds like you're really bad at handling batteries and letting them go beyond their rechargeable voltage, had a lemon and should have gotten it replaced/serviced the first time it happened (I've had 3 Go Pros, including the original film one, Motorosports Hero2, and the current 4 Black. The Hero2 died twice due to my own stupidity, and they replaced it basically no questions asked each time), bought a bootleg GoPro (Happens literally all the time. They got big during the Hero2 era), or bought shit batteries (Never get chink batteries for replacements)
>>
>>54302717
Probably was a chinese rip off then, because that thing ruined 3 batteries even when I would turn them off, it still drained them.
>>
>>54302757

If there was a tin-whisker from production/use that shorted the battery contacts on the PCB side of things, it could easily cause the issue of drainage even when it was off. Which is something their team would have found in repairs, but more than likely, they would have taken it, stuck a battery in it, drained it, and let it sit to replicate your issue, and if it did it to them too, they'd send ya a new one.

It's pretty much 100% your fault you didn't take some sort of action the first time it happened. It'd be like complaining about Ford making shit cars, because the Focus you bought had an issue where it always needed new batteries, not realizing the issue stemmed from a bad alternator you could have had replaced the first time the battery died for no reason, and within warranty.
>>
>>54302826
to be fair, i thought it was just shitty batteries at first not something GoPro would reimburse if that was the case.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.