[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey Guys I'm looking about going into electrical engineering
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5
File: electrical-engineering-image.jpg (339 KB, 700x500) Image search: [Google]
electrical-engineering-image.jpg
339 KB, 700x500
Hey Guys I'm looking about going into electrical engineering and was wondering what programing languages would be useful to know.
>>
c and asm (arm and mips)
>>
File: 1461950966770.jpg (79 KB, 665x286) Image search: [Google]
1461950966770.jpg
79 KB, 665x286
>programing languages would be useful to know

none. you need to know this.
>>
MATLAB, Java, asm
>>
>>54301078
>electrical engineering
>java
no.
>>
>>54301045
>thinking engineers need to actually know math
they'll just ask for a formula sheet until you get tired of their shit and give it to them.
>>
File: webdev-assembly.png (103 KB, 506x662) Image search: [Google]
webdev-assembly.png
103 KB, 506x662
This, of course
>>
C and asm are a must, especially if you want to get into embedded systems.

MATLAB fucking sucks in my opinion, but you'll end up having to use it a lot, because reasons. So get used to it.

You should also probably learn some type of hardware description language, like VHDL or Verilog.
>>
>>54300709
>I'm looking about going into electrical engineering
What does that even mean? Have you applied yet to a university?

Most people who are accepted into an EE program fail. Without knowing who you are and what your work ethic is, according to the stats, you will probably fail.

>what programing languages would be useful to know
It doesn't matter. If you are interested in learning a language then, find a language you find interesting. Find a tutorial on that language and start.

An EE degree is a very general degree. It is not a programming degree. You might go into design, test, application engineering...who knows. Will you work in Communications? Embedded? Microelectronics (Clean room work)?

You don't know. And I would suggest not worrying about. Programming languages are the least of your worries if you are actually studying EE.
>>
C
Assembly
Python

learn how to use Spice
learn how to use one of the following: MATLAB/Octave, Numpy+Scipy, R

Verilog and/or VHDL

current EE student, ask me anything
>>
>>54301550
Don't listen to this shit monger OP, you can do it. We all gotta start somewhere.
>>
I'm a current EE student trying to figure out what to specialize in. Is embedded stuff fun/interesting in the long run? If not, should I focus on digital VLSI or what?
>>
>>54301550
fuck off
>>
>>54301630
Do microwave and RF.
It's fun as shit from what I've seen.
>>
>>54301646
I'm basically 100% uninterested in the waves/analog side of EE
>>
>>54301575
>shit monger
Sorry for triggering you Anon.

My point wasn't to discourage the OP. Obsessing over programming languages is something that /g/ does on a daily basis. Learning the 'right' programming language isn't going to give the OP any significant advantage in his first two years.

He needs to focus on learning how to learn on his own. That is the most important thing. That will get him past the calculus, physics, linear ckt analysis, and Emag.

Learning ASM, or C or Verilog isn't going to be useful if he doesn't make it past his sophomore year.

Again, you seem really angry. Sorry for angering you.
>>
>>54301566
this, pretty much
>>
>>54300709

solder
>>
Yo, current electrical engineering undergrad (senior) working internship for aircraft simulator company and programming PID. C++ and FORTRAN. I know that sounds crazy, but we use FORTRAN for all of our heavy lifting. I'd recommend C++ (you'll learn it anyway if you go to school for EE) but if you have no experience start with something fun like Python (it actually plays well with FORTRAN) so you don't burn yourself out. C can be a Goddamn nightmare for beginners.
>>
>>54300709
MATLAB for modeling, VHDL for firmware. That's it. VHDL is pretty much the standard in industry, but you may also see verilog as well, but don't count on it

EE here
>>
File: jew_pepe.jpg (133 KB, 757x502) Image search: [Google]
jew_pepe.jpg
133 KB, 757x502
EE here and failing out of it right now. I wanted to do CE but my shitty uni doesn't offer that. So I'll gonna switch unis. I like programming and embedded systems.
>>
>>54300709
See how varied your answers are?

There's a billion places you could end up in the EE/CE field. Think about your dream job, then walk backwards from there to get back to your life. What tech stack did you learn, fields did you move through, etc?

Eventually you'll learn most of the stuff in this thread, you just gotta pick a part that sounds interesting and dive in. What sounds cool, analog electronics? digital? telecom/waves?

Also >>54301045 is not bad advice (except for the no programming part...). EE is the most calc/analysis heavy major by far.
>>
Asm or C (maybe C++) if you ever work on anything low level. Been working with an MSP430 recently so use C for that. Be prepared to spend hours reading the hardware manuals though.
>>
>>54301566
Are there any better compilers than iverilog because I'm using it for an assignment and it's a cancerous turd. With such great error messages as "I give up"
>>
>>54301566
are there any chicks in your classes
>>
>>54300709
python
GNU octave
>>
>>54300709
I wouldn't do EE now. It is hard and pay is not as good as pure CS. I still do some EE as a hobby though.
>>
>>54301677
I agree. Programming languages are memes. Algorithms and application architectures matter much more.
>>
>>54300709
Why not electronic?
Why not mechatronic?

I think a good language would be C# for genreal SW dev.

Matlab because that seems like a common language for engineers. Not an engineer though so don't be on it.

And python because it's a great language.
>>
>>54303504
Are you at UW?
>>
>>54305749
IMPORT
M
P
O
R
T
>>
>>54302666
> I like programming and embedded systems.

chances are, you're gonna fail at that too you dumbfuck
>>
You should learn racket
>>
>>54305722
This. When I saw how much higher CS was paid than engineering, I instantly switched majors.
>>
>>54303504
I'm a VHDL user. We have it even worse; get over it :^)

>>54303555
Yes
>>
>>54300709
I only did 1 semester of EE but you will definitely need C (maybe C++). ASM is useful. Matlab will probably be used a lot. And some of my classmates programmed an FPGA with I think VHDL for a group project.

Just start with C.
>>
Start with a DC/AC theory class
>>
>>54306648
>using the smiley with a carat nose
>>
>>54301119
we're talking about engineers, not CS monkeys
>>
>>54301566

I agree with this. Oddly enough, depending on your industry you'll probably program systems directly for testing or write scripts to help automate things/parse data.

So definitely learn 1 scripting language for sure, preferably Python or Perl.

T. EE with 5 years of experience in semiconductors
>>
File: ladder.jpg (7 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
ladder.jpg
7 KB, 225x225
If you don't get the joke, you should stop what you are doing right now and do some research.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.