[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
GNU gives GitHub an "F"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 7
File: github-logo.png (27 KB, 598x584) Image search: [Google]
github-logo.png
27 KB, 598x584
Hipsters BTFO

http://phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=GNU-Ethical-Code-Host-Ratings
>>
>>54295970
Hipsters use Git, not Github you donkey
>>
>>54295970
why would anyone use github over bitbucket though??
>>
I lost interest in github when the founder came to give a speech at a tech conference I attended, and after 20 mins of his speech, his wife came and lectured 2 hours about cultural diversity and how its great, and how we should encourage it in the tech world.
>>
>>54296343
Lucky you
>>
>>54296343
This would have been very upsetting if it had ever actually happened.
>>
I would've liked to know what they think of notabug
>>
>>54295989
no hipsters are retarded
they think github = git.
>linus torvalds
>whos that?
>>
>>54296036
Atlassian sucks maintaining their infrastructure, has been out several times last year and could have outages again. Sourcetree and HipChat are a fucking mess, they don't want to open source Sourcetree and permit people to release a Linux client when 90% of the app is already opensource.
>>
https://github.com/antirez/redis/issues/3185

do you need more reasons to not use github?
>>
cool story retard
>>
>>54298436
>Using SourceTree
>Needing a GUI to use git when the command line is superior
Not even a neckbeard, I hate vim and emacs, but git is great via cmd line.
>>
>The only code hosting platform to receive an A rating for "ethical hosting" was their own GNU Savannah platform.
gee
>Receiving a "C" rating was GitLab due to having free JS code but not working with LibreJS
GEE
>want to contribute to a free software project using gitlab
>gitlab's javascript isn't nonfree but doesn't work with my incredibly nonstandard and broken ass extension
>tfw the botnet wants me to be slightly inconvenienced by whitelisting scripts
>>
>freetards keep shoehorning their shit
>adults keep using whatever suits them
Also, cat > cow.
>>
When Github got rid of their meritocracy rug is when I moved to BitBucket, when I learned about gitlab I migrated to that after some time.

Being able to host it myself is a big plus, git on its own is fine but a lot of contributors rely on a fancy, friendly, and familiar frontend.
>>
No shit Stallman hates Github, it's closed source
>>
i love gitlab so much.
especially their free build service.
too bad not many people use it. well they probably use the software to host their own repos.
>>
>>54297530
Things like that do actually happen at tech conferences. I once attended a 90 minute talk that was basically a white male guilt trip. I would have gone to a different one, but it was the only talk across all tracks.

>>54303533
Ever since the omnibus package was released, self-hosting GitLab has become amazing. Current versions even have GitLab CI built-in, so you just need to push a build config and spin up a runner with a single-line Docker command.

I'm only using GitHub for hipster cred at this point. The rest goes to GitLab.
>>
File: 1454043362022.jpg (55 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
1454043362022.jpg
55 KB, 499x499
>>54295970
Implying the FSF are even relevant and/or that people care about their opinion
>>
>nonfree javascript
holy shit the autism has transcended to another dimension
>>
>>54297661
Meh, they're not wrong because github was hugely responsible for the widespread usage of git.

It takes someone to invent and someone to make it popular. Carl Benz invented the combustion engine as it's used today but it wasn't until Henry Ford that cars were actually a viable mode of transportation for the general public.

>inb4 car analogy
>>
>>54300948
You are a neckbeard if you judge like that.
If someone wants to use a gui, why the fuck not? Its not 1990.
>>
>>54295970
I've been waiting for this report to come out for almost a year and they only rate 4 fucking services... step it up FSF
>>
File: 1378794119814.jpg (23 KB, 396x360) Image search: [Google]
1378794119814.jpg
23 KB, 396x360
>>54300796
i really wish these people would just disappear
>>
>>54303959
Self hosting GitLab? That sounds pretty legit. Does it have any preconfigured authentication or would you have to wedge that in yourself?
>>
>>54305696
It's all there.
sudo apt-get install gitlab-ce
after adding the repository, and you are ready to push.
>>
File: 1247965738996.png (10 KB, 429x410) Image search: [Google]
1247965738996.png
10 KB, 429x410
>>54295970
>The only code hosting platform to receive an A rating for "ethical hosting" was their own GNU Savannah platform.
Who gives a shit?
>>
>>54300796
Should rename it to 'massah' and 'slave'.
>>
>>54300796
nslater is such a faggot.
>>
File: Prince.jpg (34 KB, 300x302) Image search: [Google]
Prince.jpg
34 KB, 300x302
>>54295970
>FOSStards vs muh diversity
How about no?

>>54297530
>2016
>still hasn't got that politruks are barging trough the tech front door
Bless your heart.

Also, we fa/g/s should look to Prince for inspiration:

www thedailybeast com/articles/2016/04/21/there-will-never-be-another-like-prince-the-greatest-recording-artist-of-all-time.html

www cracked com/blog/5-objective-reasons-prince-greatest-musician-ever/

>played all the instruments, 27 in total
>didn't need a producer
>37 of 39 albums was solo albums
>the second half of his career didn't get as much attention, but he still made 15 albums after the turn of the millennium
>compare to Michael Jackson (10), Madonna (13), Bruce Springsteen (18) or David Bowie (27)
>still rarely made the same album twice
>has some 500 - 20 000 unreleased songs
>trolled everyone by dressing as he did in the 80s
>had such strong kayfabe that he even wore high heels during his show in Super Bowl XLI despite the downpour
>fought the internet and won, was ahead of the game

>>54300796
>primary
>replica
What? Replica sounds like it's a copy. Also, damn those niggos for spreading lies that only american niggos was slaves. Lord/servant would be better. Is more european. Are the niggos happy now?
>>
>>54306771
look at what he has contributed too; nothing but a bunch of horse shit "licenses", blogs and absolutely nothing related to programming.

truly a cancer of this world.
>>
>>54295970
>Michael has written more than 10,000 articles covering the state of Linux hardware support, Linux performance, graphics drivers, and other topics.
So that's why Linux sucks?
>>
>>54300948
show me a complete diagram of local and remote branches and how they connect, with commit messages tagged on each branch in the right place, and the exact list of files that changed with their content diffs. All at once. Your cmdline git doesnt do that.
>>
File: RACISM.jpg (78 KB, 933x1053) Image search: [Google]
RACISM.jpg
78 KB, 933x1053
>>54300796
>Before the flood of white male HN dwellers truly kicks off and obliterates all reasonable discussion, I'd like to thank the Django team for taking the time to do this.
It's okay to be racist and sexist if they're white males, yay equality.
>>
>>54296036
Because of the free (as in $$) continuous integration and statistics tools as well as the much added visibility.
>>
>>54307197
Are you retarded? It's literally a standard git command. man git you fucking retard.
>>
>>54309457
You mean git instaweb?
>>
>>54309457
the command youre talking about shows an ascii overview of the branches and commits, but i still dont see a point-and-play overview of changed files and their content-diffs

or other features like being able to trim parts of those diffs before committing

which is because it would clutter the terminal too much

face it, guis are better at showing a lot of info at once in a useful way
>>
>>54311601
In a useful way, fuck no. In an interactive way, sure.
>>
>>54300796
>https://github.com/antirez/redis/issues/3185
holy fuck

Anyways, I'm migrating to gitlab.
>>
https://github.com/rust-lang/rust-www/pull/274
>>
>>54309169
wait, the people on github think the HN is racist? the HN crowd is one of the most bluepilled, pc, beta nu-male places on the internet discussing tech.
>>
File: 1434396965754[1].jpg (136 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1434396965754[1].jpg
136 KB, 1280x720
>key parts of the site don't work unless the non-free JS is used
>>
>GNU Savannah platform
anyone tried that ?
I didn't even knew it existed
>>
>>54314025
It's as barebone as it comes. There's no point in using it.
>>
>>54314153
Bad performance too. If their track record for shit like Bash and glibc are any indication, shit security to top it off.
>>
>>54295970
Just host yourself Pijul, once it's ready.
/thread
>>
>>54312355
Thats the best part about SJWs, they will tear themselves apart. When your goal is to find out who is the most "racist" they will take what they can get.
>>
>>54295970
BLOWN THE FUCK OUT
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.