[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it worth it to learn Haskell?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: haskell-logo-with-name.jpg (17 KB, 800x400) Image search: [Google]
haskell-logo-with-name.jpg
17 KB, 800x400
Is it worth it to learn Haskell?
>>
No.
>>
Yes.
>>
Maybe.
>>
>>54295239
>>54295249
>>54295256

basically this
>>
Install Gentoo.
>>
/g/ at its finest
>>
I don't know
>>
>>54295218
Scheme or Scala or more popular, but Haskell is more "pure".
>>
Yes, in 20 years when everyone is writing in a Haskell-derived language, you will be miles ahead of the curve.
>>
>>54295306
Why would everything be written in a Haskell derived language in 20 years?
>>
>>54295218
It's useful for bragging I guess

Other than that it's more of a mathematicians play toy because you can do a lot with it but none of it is useful

If you do want to get into FP I'd recommend Erlang/Elixir(networked applications), R(statistics and shit) or Clojure (runs on the jvm just in case you write lots of java)
>>
>>54295218
you can tell everyone you can program in haskall, so you'll have that.
>>>/r/programmingcirclejerk
>>
>>54295396
https://wiki.haskell.org/Haskell_in_industry

None of this is useful? I wonder what your definition is then...
>>
>>54295218
It taught me how to do functional programming so I guess it was worth it for me.
It's quite enjoyable too if you like programming.
>>
>>54295218
>are you about to apply for a position that reqires/regularly uses it?
if yes, yes, if no, no.
>>
>>54295218

Are you a computer scientist or a hobbyist? I think the scientist should always look at new things. Learning new languages can be inspirational.
>>
>>54295656
The fact that someone felt the need to make an article about "proving" how useful a language is proves the language isn't useful.

A useful language is obvious.
>>
>>54296014
That's not what the article is about at all. Work on your reading comprehension.
>>
>>54295218
If you wanna be more than just a codemonkey then yes. The people suggesting that you shouldn't learn it because it isn't used in industry are literally the definition of codemonkeys. Haskell changes how you think about programming.
>>
>>54296042
What is the purpose of the article if not to extoll the (in actuality poor) adoption of the language in commercial applications?

Read a book pajeet
>>
>>54296098
>This page collects resources on the industrial use of Haskell.

It's a collection of useful resources documenting practical usage of Haskell, it has nothing to do with trying to "prove" Haskell is useful.

By your logic, that fact that you can find a talk or paper about the usage of every major language proves that none of them are useful either.

>inb4 you reply with some shitty double standard
>>
>>54295656
>https://wiki.haskell.org/Haskell_in_industry
Holy fuck! One of the major banks in my country uses it, I better start learning it. I thought MATLAB and Java or Python were enough, turns out I was WRONG WRONG WRONG!
>>
>>54295218
You should know about it and how it works, but it's not going to be that useful to really invest time.
>>
https://unqualifiedreservations.wordpress.com/2007/08/02/whats-wrong-with-cs-research/
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.