[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Samsung will manufacture POWER processors for Google
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
Samsung is partnering up with Google to manufacture modified IBM POWER8 processor that will focus on single-thread performance.

The processors will only contain 4 cores, but they will be clocked much higher than IBM's processors, which top out at 4.19 GHz.

It is currently unknown if the processors will be manufactured on 22nm process like IBM's or on Samsung's new 14nm FinFET process.
>>
Cool, more use of Power8 for in house shit that the average consumer will never get to touch.
>>
" the entire internet could be run in a single room full of power systems ' -- ibm, 10 years ago

why do we still need hardware to run the internet when all google does is redirect me to wikipedia
>>
>>54295020
Sam Palmisano had to go full Jew and charge arm and leg for IBM Power and Z, leaving only governments and banks as customers.

Ginny Rometty came in and slashed the prices, but by that point, even banks and governments were already transitioning away from IBM hardware because of the cost.
>>
>>54295093

my favorite:

' hi i need an os/400 and/or an aix license and some install media '
>>
>>54294818
There are a number of things wrong here:
IBM's POWER8 architecture scales up to 5ghz.
IBM's fab business belongs to Global Foundries, and part of that sale was the condition that GloFo would produce chips for IBM.
Samsung does not have access to IBM's specific 22nm FD-SOI process.

All of this sounds like barely literate pajeet rumormill writings.
>>
>>54295205
It's not IBM's chip Samsung is producing, technically.

It's an OpenPower chip designed by Google and Samsung based on designs licensed from IBM.
>>
File: 1461890795993.gif (20 KB, 751x306) Image search: [Google]
1461890795993.gif
20 KB, 751x306
>>54294818

inb4
>>
>>54295322
Thats not relevant to anything in my post. These are the facts:

Samsung doesn't have IBM's 22nm node, so speculating that the chip would use said node is absurd.
IBM's own POWER8 chips are available in SKUs up to 5ghz, they are not limited to 4.19ghz.

The entire OP is full of bullshit. It reads like something the subhumans at wccftech would come up with.
>>
>>54295375
What if Samsung is taking the base design and reworking them for 14nm process?
>>
>>54295457
*unzips dick*

>>54295375
Please tell me more about POWER. This Intel shill makes it look like trash. >>54295349
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.