[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wired bridge between Modem/Router and Router
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: 646xV.gif (2 MB, 260x146) Image search: [Google]
646xV.gif
2 MB, 260x146
Hey /g/, I'm new to this whole networking gig and I've got a couple questions about expanding a network.

I'm currently with Comcast, and use their Arris TG862G-CT all-in-one (and yes, it's shit).
I live in a two story home, and want to expand into the lower second floor on the house.
Would it be possible to bridge it with another router (Netgear N600 for ref.) with an ethernet cable
and essentially have the Arris do all the DHCP work and have the Netgear work off of it
(static IP, and identical wireless credentials), giving me 3 wired LAN ports and the same Wi-Fi network.

Have a gift from /o/ in return!
>>
Have a gift from /g/: call geeksquad
>>
Yeah it is possible. Not sure about the n600 specifically... but I have a router from the provider that handles the dhcp and an ac66u with dhcp disabled. My old belkin router had a wireless access mode which basically did all the setup automatically.
>>
>>54292788
Why not just use a switch?
>>
>>54292788
You'd need a second router (dunno if that Netgear N600 can do it) in "wireless access point" mode.
>>
>>54292832

So let's say if I was downstairs with the Netgear router, I could still use the same wireless info as the Arris?
>>
>>54292865
Yes I have done the exact same thing. Both routers broadcast on the same ssid and they combine (at least on my phone) under the same option. I only need to setup a connection on one of the routers for it to work on both thereafter.
>>
>>54292910

Awesome. Sorry for all the dumb questions, but all the Comcast forums are basically useless
>>
>>54292788

If you daisy chain routers you will be on two different subnets. Routers separate networks. Switches join them.

Therefore you would be better off setting up a couple of Ubiquiti Access Points.

They're 48 bucks a piece.

http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-Enterprise-AP-Unifi/dp/B00HXT8R2O
>>
>>54293060
But then I'd lose my wired ports for the second floor. To be honest so long as I have some form of wired connection without running 4-5 cables down I can live with using the Arris for wi-fi only
>>
File: 1457214596870.jpg (61 KB, 800x438) Image search: [Google]
1457214596870.jpg
61 KB, 800x438
>>54293113

Bro, buy a small 8 port switch.

25 Bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-Gigabit-Ethernet-Desktop-TL-SG108/dp/B00A121WN6/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1461952018&sr=1-4&keywords=8+port+switch
>>
File: 1438264217100.png (314 KB, 1923x1080) Image search: [Google]
1438264217100.png
314 KB, 1923x1080
>>54293133

>>54293113

I don't know how big your house is, but 1 finely placed ubiquiti AP will cover about 1,200 SQ FT.

You could buy the switch and 1 AP for 75 bucks and have wireless on the first floor.
>>
>>54293133
I might try that. The Netgear I'm trying to use was bought for a friend, and his college dorm wouldn't let him use it so I'm kinda stuck with it. Figured if I have an $80 router sitting around might as well use it.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.