[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What advantages does the Rust language provide over C?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: 816CyNiNKIL._SL1425_.jpg (286 KB, 1425x1425) Image search: [Google]
816CyNiNKIL._SL1425_.jpg
286 KB, 1425x1425
What advantages does the Rust language provide over C?
>>
>>54292764
Pajeets will attack you less

That's pretty much it
>>
File: 4L_ofZFs2cL.png (821 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
4L_ofZFs2cL.png
821 KB, 1024x768
>>54292764
Code of conduct
>>
>>54292764
better standard libraries for the most common hosted environments
no headers

That said I'm not sure I like their stab at symbolic modules and packages.
>>
it's a meme

fag/g/ots will love it
>>
>>54293218
>no headers
why is this a good thing?
You can easily automate your editor or IDE to update one when you update the other, and having the documentation in the one file and the implementation in the other makes it easy to read what is going on regardless of which kind of documentation you want to read.
>>
>>54292764

It is still way too early to spend any time on rust. Give it 5 years and see if it is still thriving. C is battle tested, there are tons of apps and libs written in and for C. If you need a job, knowing C will get you a lot farther than rust.
>>
>>54293300
Or I could just switch to my documentation browser/web browser for the generated documentation which looks better than reading it in the typically shitty comment color.
It takes me exactly the same time to switch buffers and switch windows, so I get better visuals without downsides.
Headers, as in C/C++ then lead to a number of problems as the compiler will be inevitable slower.
>>
>>54292764
More type expressiveness and safer memory management. It interacts effortlessly with C.
>>
>>54294493
why would I write stuff in the browser?
If you just meant to read through the documentation, most larger projects builds that for c++ as well.

I am all for making things compile faster, but as a project gets large, this is inevitable. At some point you have to make the choice to make the part you are working with smaller so you don't have to wait that long every time you rebuild.

For people who only builds once, build time is not a problem
>>
Learn D
>>
>>54294874
>If you just meant to read through the documentation, most larger projects builds that for c++ as well.

Exactly. I can have this in a language without header files, too. Minus all the problems that stem from them.

On the other hand, there is no technical argument for headers as special files.
linking -> nope
distribution -> nope
readability -> nope
robustness -> nope
>>
>>54294874
>For people who only builds once, build time is not a problem

I'm not a Gentoo sperg, but I'd wager that 5 minutes vs 1 hours is a problem.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.