[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why women stopped studying programming and CS in the 80's?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 7
File: 1461611166600.jpg (94 KB, 800x670) Image search: [Google]
1461611166600.jpg
94 KB, 800x670
why women stopped studying programming and CS in the 80's?

what went wrong?
>>
>>54292167
couldn't handle the bantz
>>
>>54292167
it was too hard for them
>>
Women are only good for three things: cooking, cleaning and vaginas
>>
>>54292167
With the introduction of ubiquitous desktops in the 80's, CS went from a field of specialized, tedious mainframe work with flexible hours to a competitive field of high pay but long hours. Women overwhelmingly pick positions based on compatibility with home life and not high pay.
>>
>>54292627
>vaginas
But vaginas are inferior to dicks, anon.
Women are pointless and I hate them.
>>
>>54292167
The company I work for, half of the software developers, in the Israeli office, are women. Besides that, there's one female programmer, total, in one of the EU offices.
>>
>>54292627
You're wrong. Women are good for four things. Cooking, cleaning, vaginas and their sisters' vaginas.
>>
>>54292167
More like what went right
>>
>>54292673
What this anon said.

If employers and society in general gave men the ability to prioritize childcare over work we might see more women in these kinds of jobs.

Currently with the lack of viable paternity leave and other male rights its far more workable for women to care for kids while men take the long hours for pay.

Hopefully if more queers adopt kids we might see a change in this.
>>
File: cultureenrichment.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
cultureenrichment.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>54292990
>vaginas are inferior to dicks
you'll take two vaginas at the time if you could tho
>>
>>54292990
Welcome to the gay club.
>>
>>54292627
Haven't watched "show me your genitals" in ages.
>>
>>54292167
more like why did so many women study programming *before* the 80's? It's never been the type of job that appeals to them
>>
>>54292990
Yeah, they're awful.
Let's be gay
>>
Programming is shit, women have/use men for doing shitty jobs
>>
>>54293432
way ahead of ya pall
>>
File: zzzzzzap!.jpg (179 KB, 496x306) Image search: [Google]
zzzzzzap!.jpg
179 KB, 496x306
>>54293432
>>54293483

Room for one more?
>>
>>54293379
Back then it was an easy cushy desk job.
Now your basic desk jockey is expected to have a BS in IT IS or CS with 3 years experience minimum plus like 5 certifications.
>>
>>54292167

probably the sexism of neckbeards, as demonstrated by the responses in this thread

also, cultural discouragement from entering STEM, especially mathematical or logic driven STEM

(i.e., bio isn't real STEM)
>>
>>54292167
god made women to breed and nothing else.
>>
>>54293716
why are women stopped from basically just insults?

I don't feel bad when I hear anons calling me taco, gardener, spic, my country is shit, shitskin, pooskin and so on.
>>
Computer science degrees were pretty much just data entry degrees way back when. When computers became more mainstream the focus shifted to software design and algorithms and became a lot tougher to complete, coupled with high competition.

Good to see women coming back though.
>>
>>54292167
It's not because women aren't intellectually capable, as evidenced by the fact that they used to actually be a big part of the field.

It's because women value social status more than men do. They value social status even more than money.

Women need encouragement to engage in a subject that doesn't come with any social standing. I've met countless programmers that learned programming on their own with no formal training or encouragement. What's stopping women from doing this? There's no sexual harassment sitting at home and learning something on your own, reading documentation, following tutorials, etc. Once you get good no one in the industry cares or if you're a man or a women.

I don't even care if women want to get interested in it or not but let's not pretend like the only reason they aren't doing it is because of 'toxic male environments'.
>>
>>54293832
pretty much this, I learned to code because of games using youtube.
>>
>>54293848
I learned web dev editing myspace profiles
>>
>>54293349
I've never laughed harder than I have at that video. Even so, it is not far from the truth.
>>
>>54293750

answer:
you're not every woman
>>
>>54293716
I have never heard anyone say that biology isn't a real science.
>>
>>54294075
then welcome to /g/
>>
>>54294084
I would argue that the people posting here hardly count as people.
>>
>>54294017
I'll have you know I sexually identify as all women.
>>
>>54294108
people posting here are more intelligent than the average
>>
>>54294152
That is probably true if you only look at IQ. While most people here are likely more prone to be better at problem solving I think they are less emotionally intelligent and less likely to actually *do* something with that intelligence. Hard to say, though. I am probably just projecting
>>
>>54294075
>has never browse /sci/
fuck off plebian
>>
>>54293848
>learned to code because of games
But this was initially a problem. It's not now because of the cool gamer gril meme, but what incentive would women have to go on and learn how to program when there was nothing they wanted to program because they didn't really use computers? They just weren't interested.

All programmers have used and were into computers before they decided they want to learn how to program.
>>
>>54292627
e=mc squared. VAGINA
>>
File: women can't code.png (1 MB, 1357x1281) Image search: [Google]
women can't code.png
1 MB, 1357x1281
>>54292167
because women can't code
>>
>>54292627
>cooking, cleaning
not really lol most of them suck at cooking and even cleaning
>vaginas
hell yah i love vagos
>>
>>54292167
God damn picture making me god damn angry
>>
>>54294075
marine biologist, pls
>>
>>54294230
>emotional intelligence

thats just letting normies win
>>
>>54292167
have you ever used software made by women? Its always trashy and they never listen to bug reports and instead blame the bug report. although one of the best programmers I ever met was a very cute blond. she worked on the f-14's voice recognition system.
>>
>>54292167
Unsegregated school systems
>>
>>54295628
>inb4 >>>/pol/
Should probably clarify that I mean gender segregation here
>>
>why women stopped studying programming

>it was too hard for them
>Women are only good for three things: cooking, cleaning and vaginas
>But vaginas are inferior to dicks, anon.
Women are pointless and I hate them.
>More like what went right
>You're wrong. Women are good for four things. Cooking, cleaning, vaginas and their sisters' vaginas.
>more like why did so many women study programming *before* the 80's? It's never been the type of job that appeals to them

More like why haven't these charmers found a gf yet amirite?

>>54293750
No shit, anon's are totally different than coworker
>>
>>54294795
>>
>>54292167

You need to understand women did not leave CS, CS left women. My uncle has been a lawyer wince before the 80s and his paralegal gale has been with him the entire time. Her job isnt just a secritary and involves alot of database stuff. In the 80s on the shitty little ibm they had she needed a minor in cs just to do the stuff you could pull off now with 2 hours of youtube vids.

Software has evolved and the general public has gotten more skilled.

As a result jobs that used to need cs study no longer do. Women have no changed the field has shrunk. The easy shit got covered by software gains and so people no longer need to learn this under working of their excel/database software.
>>
>>54292990
>But vaginas are inferior to dicks, anon.
You're not wrong, but pussy is still pretty cool. Bi master race.
>>
>>54294795

This is still better then the chick who printed a 3d bracelet and called it coding.
>>
>>54295798
2D women are almost ok.
Vaginas are the biggest problem with them.
Futanari is quite ok, but traps are better.
>>
>>54293724
This
>>
men started to get involved because they're better logical thinkers. they did more for less pay and so women were pushed out.

not rocket science
>>
>>54295892
I used to like futanari but now I don't even know what the word really means anymore. I like boobs, dicks and balls but apparently unless there is a vagina it's not futa. Meh.
>>
>>54295976
Wouldn't that be full package futanari if it has both genitals?
>>
>>54292167
Because world ran out of smart females. They have initiated self-destructing degradation process, supporting sexualization and the cult of sex by intentionally turning themselves into dumb braindead sluts they are right now. But back in the days they were superior employees for radio-navigational and communicational production.
>>
>if you want a real answer

In programmings earlier stages grills were encouraged to take it up because they did a lot of thoughtless copy pasta (for the most part with a few minor exceptions). It was much like data entry. It was easy. You worked with your hands. It was cushy and not construction.

Fast forward to the 80s and by that time the roll and view of womenz had changed. They were encouraged to be even dumber bimbos that got fake boobs and tans and lived in the mall. Image was everything. At this point only dorks would use a computer. You didn't want to be a dork did you? This translated even into the larger part the 90s. It wasn't until PCs invaded each and every home for it to be socially acceptable to use a computer.

Fast forward to the 2000s. People finally trust a more stable e-commerce with sites like Amazon and use it more frequently. Grillz could finally buy stupid shit online. Look at me sites like Xanga/Myspace/Facebook took over so people could share their every pointless thought on the internet. Youtube. Now it's 100% acceptable to use le computer if grill.

In spite of this a lot of the feelings from 30 years ago still linger on in society. As fast as our world changes sometimes our general ideologies are the slowest to adapt. The reason that a female might study programming now is because it's considered a good respectable job but that's typically the only reason. You'd still have to be a dork manchild to do it for fun - amirightladies?
>>
>>54295650
>why did women stop programming?
[Lists things that anons said ITT]

>anon insulting other anon doesn't count because reasons

Your said that the things anon said mattered, then in the same post said that the things anon said don't matter.

Wtf mate?
>>
>>54293716
JFC - women made fun of geeks all throughout the 80s and 90s and pushed themselves out of tech. I'm sorry but women don't get a free pass in the tech world like they do in other industries. If you're going to piss on someone for literally more than two decades don't come around and be all shocked and surprised whenever they don't really like you.
>>
they never studied it in mass

back in the day, secretary/data entry/punch card loading girl were counted as part of the field, now they are not.

The statistic is flawed.
>>
Statistically women have different priorities in life than men.
>>
>>54292167
my grandma studied CS and mathematics
she programmed on an uni mainframe, but stopped studying when she got my mom.
after 3 children she only finished her math master
>>
>>54292167

They figured out they could get the jobs without the education from quotas.
>>
>I'm in the room, it's a typical Tuesday night.
>I'm listening to the kind of music she doesn't like.
>>
>>54296421
fucking affirmative action and horny managers
>>
The 80s was when everyone began to understand that software was going to rule the world. The evil patriarchy saw this just in time to subtlety evict the inferior females from the field so as not to let them hold any power.
>>
Why can't we just accept as a society, that men and women are inherently different?
>>
>>54292167
LOGIC
women do not understand logic, ever
too many feels
too worried about what color the font in the IDE is
can't understand logic operators
! makes them feel like they are being yelled at
>>
>>54292167

is that dog okay?
>>
oh god and lately I've been seeing Ada Lovelace and Grace Hopper brought up all the goddamn time. Womens are good at programming! women heroes of computer science!

jesus christ
>>
>>54296628
I'm fine with Grace Hopper but Ada Lovelace is overrated as fuck.
>>
>>54292627
rather them show me their titties desu
>>
>>54292167
I don't quite know how to explain this, but hopefully this will help.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xp0tg8_hjernevask-brainwashing-in-norway-english-part-1-the-gender-equality-paradox_news
>>
>>54292627
Summer is sure early this year
>>
>>54292167
They never started.

Women are brownian particles in any domain,society and country,a strong hand must control them.

Stuck in eternal adolescence.
They are not fit for rights or responsibilities for them (which they never assume,women are unaccountable)
Their worth is in their fertility,pleasant looks and motherly skills.
Absent those they waste oxygen.
>>
>>54293432
+1
>>
>>54293041
>Israeli office
i think we all know why that is
>>
>>54294795
>improper finger positioning
Clearly she is not a coder
>>
>>54293750
gcc build.c -Wall
>>
>>54297063
>-Wall
>not -Werror
>>
Because programming became more complicated than pushcards and they couldn't compete
>>
>>54297112
>I have no idea what I'm talking about.
>>
>>54297131
Vagina spotted
>>
>>54297149
>pushcards easier than oop.
>>
>>54297091
thanks to you, the wall just got 10 feet higher
>>
>>54292627
In my experience, they aren't much good for any of those things either.
>>
File: female technician.jpg (23 KB, 410x282) Image search: [Google]
female technician.jpg
23 KB, 410x282
>>54295617
pics nao
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.