[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
AMD Zen will have soldered lids, right? Do current AMD CPUs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
AMD Zen will have soldered lids, right?

Do current AMD CPUs have solder under their lids?

I will dump intel in a heartbeat if Zen has real soldered CPU lids.
Seriously, tin is not expensive and it takes low energy to melt tin and pour it. Why the fuck did intel cut this?
>>
>>54292165
Their current line-up is soldered, yes. Only Intel would be Jewish enough to try and save $0.000001 per chip by using cheap TIM instead.
>>
>>54292204

thanks
i suspected this

it's amazing how intel dominates the market share of desktop CPUs and they would do something completely drastic and careless by cutting out solder.

solder is very important for CPUs

AMD on the otherhand, hardly sells any desktop CPUs but still refuse to cut soldering because they are not fucking retarded and no person in their right mind would do this to a desktop CPU

that shouldn't even be an option to sacrifice of quality
>>
>>54292165
Because they want their chips to thermal throttle so you don't just jack them up to 5 ghz and not buy another on for 10 years.
>>
>>54292529
But if AMD blows out intel by not going jewish on stuff like this so that they can push ahead with slightly lower profit margin wouldn't that be exactly what AMD needs to have desktop users switch?

And possibly even Mac.
>>
>>54292529
This is certainly part of it. Sandy Bridge was a mistake as far as Intel are concerned. It was too good, and people who bought one at the time have little reason to upgrade to this day. That's not good business.
>>
>>54292165
Yup, AMD aren't jew overloads

As others stated, only Intel would do such shit, for money reasons, of course. Now go buy our Octo-core XtremE edition for merely 999$*, like a good goym.
>>
>>54292165
Yes, they are soldered in FX and they will be soldered in Zen. But some APUs have intel-style TIM.

Personally, I would prefer no HIS at all and direct contact with water block. Crushing chips while setting the CPU cooler is just a huge meme out there.
>>
>>54292165
Zambezi and Vishera CPUs had soldered IHS. I believe Llano, Trinity, Richland, and Kaveri APUs all used TIM. The Godavari refresh of Kaveri features a soldered IHS.

AMD has never had real temp issues stemming from improperly applied thermal compound, air gap, and shim issues. There is nothing inherently wrong with using thermal compound under the heat spreader, intel just chose to cut corners because they could get away with it.
>>
>>54292165
FX is soldered.
APUs have TIM I think most people here say.

LGA2011 is soldered.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.