[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What media player do you use? VLC need not apply. I really like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
What media player do you use? VLC need not apply.

I really like MPC, but since K-lite and others contain adware I want to get rid of K-lite.

MPC still requires codecs, so what do I really need? Is ffdshow enough to play everything nowadays? Do I need a million splitters to be installed in order to have mkv display subtitles?
Potplayer is something to try out.

Media player thread I guess?
>>
if you don't want to use your brain, just use kcp, the majority of weebs use it, but it's solid for other stuff aswell.
>>
>>54291129
Baka Mplayer
>>
mpc-hc+MadVR what else would I ever need?
>>
>>54291185
good presets.
>>
>>54291192
There are a few guides online on how to set it up.
>>
>>54291162
I don't mind installing a few crucial ones, no, but if I need to install 6 different things just to get subtitles in mkv/ogm/whatever, then I'm well on my way to a custom pack that probably sucks.

How far can I get with just ffdshow (for example)? I've understood it does play a lot of stuff out of the box, so do I really need "anything else"?
>>
>>54291129
>MPC still requires codecs
>Do I need a million splitters to be installed in order to have mkv display subtitles?

Are you literally retarded?
>>
>>54291129
MPC-HC is really good if you set it up correctly with MadVR. These guides should help you:
http://www.ezoden.com/htpc/4/how-to-setup-htpc-introduction
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/MadVR_Expert_Guide
>>
VLC of course
>>
mpv
>>
Kawaii Codec Pack
>>
>>54291129
mpv on ganoo here.
I have to say i really enjoy it.
>>
>>54291255
It's obvious from the context that it is known that it does STILL require codecs.
Hence the question is of sarcastic nature to underline the fact that the subject at required deeper knowledge than is available.

No anon, you are the literally retarded one.
>>
>>54291129
Chances are your shitty media player is based on VLC or VLC libraries.
>>
>>54291129
Since when did /g/ start shilling PotPlayer so much? Is this just one insistent guy? Fuck off with your Korean GPL-violating botnet.
>>
>>54292101
Not shilling, it was just the first one that seemed to be popular and recommended elsewhere.
If it's not clear at this point, I have little knowledge of other media players except MPC and VLC, including codec requirements.
>>
File: potplayer.png (916 KB, 1375x582) Image search: [Google]
potplayer.png
916 KB, 1375x582
>>54292101
i'm not OP, but i loved sasami2k b/c of the borderless window and autohide transparancy skin.

potplayer was the only media player i found that has this option and many, many more.

in any case, i prefer whatever i used as my primary video player to feature this.

what other media players support this?

i recently tried a windows build of MPV and found it had an ok autohiding transparent control skin. is there a way to make it borderless, too?
>>
>>54291836
>those sentences
>calling others retarded

you keep raising the bar of stupidity your thread established, moron
>>
>>54291129
>VLC need not apply
Yo, nigga. I literally just installed Xubuntu yesterday, it's the best I can do for now. I plan to try mpv eventually, though. MPC-HC is my favorite player for non-loonix.
>>
>>54291129
>MPC still requires codecs, so what do I really need?
unless you play some obscure formats (like the shitty RMVB, QT, AVS, DRA) you shouldn't need a codec pack. MPC-HC includes enough splitters and AV decoders to play almost all known formats.
(If you use laptop, leave the renderer at EVR-CP to have subtitles and keep battery, otherwise choose madVR)
>>
Using vlc since forever because I like its interface I guess. What exactly is wrong with it according to /g/?
>>
>>54293189
>subpar subtitle rendering.
>can't properly use HW acceleration.
>no HW deinterlacing.
>depending on config, YUV->RGB conversion is wrong.
>>
vlc because ijw
>>
>>54291129

mplayer. It just works, and is tuneable with a config file or command line options. But I do most of my real media viewing with Plex to my tablet or to my Roku.
>>
File: 45245245.jpg (58 KB, 969x557) Image search: [Google]
45245245.jpg
58 KB, 969x557
>>54291129
Sup with that old, ugly version on PotPlayer?

Anyway, PotPlayer is missing one key thing: its playlist should be able to read metadata and should be customizable.
>>
>>54292326
You can get MPC borderless as well, possible for a long time. ctrl+0 a few times and it toggles the menu and border. The other UI elements can be hidden with ctrl+numbers under View options and you end up with just the video area.

>>54293123
Yeah this is what I was looking for.

MPC also has built-in subtitle download and you don't have to wade through plugins or menus to get them.
>>
mpv >>> gookplayer ugly gui edition
>>
>>54293247
Oh....so shit I never need to use. Okay.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.