[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a real reason to use tails/tor?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 2
File: desktop.png (89 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
desktop.png
89 KB, 1440x900
Apart from being a pedophile or a paranoid who thinks the government is watching him?
Why does this even exist?
>>
>>54286811
>Why does this even exist?
Literally no other reason.
>>
Geoblocking.
School/Uni Filters.

A VPN is probably a better alternative
>>
to post on leddit but so noone knows youre a ledditor
>>
>>54286811
for Chinese
also you can give your home-server an onion-address, so you won't need dyndns
>paranoid who thinks the government is watching
people are killed by the US-government because of metadata right now. It's only a matter of time, until this happens outside the middle-east, too.
>>
I personally use it time to time.
It is useful if you want to use Tor on someone else's computer and cannot ( morally ) implement it in their browser.
Just boot up the usb stick and you're good to go.
>>
I use it to ship drugs to my address.
>>
>>54286811
Whistleblowers.
Reporters
Informants

Are you retarded OP? Couldn't you think about this before posting it?
>>
From a developer's point of view, there is the whole having a network backdrop that you can be certain has no common vulnerabilities. That makes it easy to elaborate on code you absolutely can't have anyone snooping in on, especially if you're the only one that doesn't have a group of friends working on the same stuff and also happen to be the poorest of the people in question. I need that money, and yes I have already had several original ideas, written in notepad files and such, stolen out of my computer. Either that or grand coincidences line my grand delusion more intricately than any original idea I've ever had myself. There's also the fact that they happened in chronological order and just when I started to open up to the idea of sharing them with someone and having them work on it with me, for pay to make more money.
>>
>>54286811
I think if you are a human rights activist living in a country run by a dictactor etc yeah it would be a good tool for that.
I used years ago after i heard all the hype bout Tor, things like secret documents,technology we had never heard or dreamed of,oh and the "water motor" lol. I didn't find fuckall, just useless snippets of information.
I'm not a hardcore druggie and if i was i wouldn't be buying from an onion site.
I guess if i was some sort of hacker i might have intrest in tors potential for anonymity.
Only thing i found of use was doxbin.
>>
Its for people who actually fear the government, aka middle east and the Chinese. Real pedophiles use freenet anyway.
>>
>>54287229
This. Not everyone is a pedophile or tinfoil hat /g/ user.
>>
>>54287287
That's just you having mental problems, suffering of delusion.
>>
>>54286811
I use it to order drugs from the deepweb, as an OS it's trash though. I suppose you could argue it's use in places like china etc, where the government can through you in prison for speaking out against the regime.
>>
why are these threads being made?
>>
>>54286811
for people who live in oppressive regimes?
>>
>>54287545
Idk,/g/ seems to be going they of /b/ lately.
Be great if there was a /g/ alternative.
>>
>>54286946
TOR doesn't even work in China

t. Someone who lives in China
>>
>>54287629
t. KYS
>>
>>54286811
It's called principles.

It's not that you think the government is specifically watching you, it's that you think the government should not be allowed to "watch" i.e. store data on everyone.

The other reason is freedom of speech requiring a truly uncensored medium; the fact that it exists is good and for it to continue to exist it needs to be supported.

But you're obviously retarded and drunk on the gubment's coolaid OP if you couldn't think of these things yourself.
>>
my university randomly blocks loads of sites (ie something simple like youtube to mp3). It's a Godsend.

>>54287629
are you using a bridge?
>>
because even if i'm doing nothing wrong, not every random faggot between my house and your server needs to see what I'm doing
>>
yall niggas need to watch/read more scifi
>>
Journalists. People under repressive regimes.
>>
>>54289920
>are you using a bridge?
No, just your mum.
>>
>>54287287
A good idea doesn't mean jack. Everyone and their uncle has the next big app idea. The problem is, very few people know how to implement it, whether on a technical or a business level. That's where the money lies. That's why Zuckerberg's a billionaire and the Winklevoss had to settle for 20 million.
>>
>>54292072
I could settle for 20 million.
>>
>>54286847
Sorry, but can you clarify for a relative illiterate how changing your OS but connecting to the same network can get past a college filter?
>>
>>54292283
Because you're not just changing your OS and connecting to the same connection. Think of it like this. You connect through TOR so instead of your school seeing the site you're going to, they see you connecting to some random server that they have no reason to block. This is how you get to the site. Instead of taking a plane directly to New York(instead of going directly to the site that they're blocking), you take a flight with multiple transfers(pushing your traffic through Tor to get you past the blocks).
>>
>>54286811
people who life in countries with internet censores
journalists
whisleblowers
people who are smart and care about their privacy
>>
Tails has literally no purpose. Just download the Tor Browser Bundle instead.
>>
>>54286946
I'm 100% in favor of the govt killing terrorists
>>
>>54286811
>falling for "cryptography is for pedophiles" government propaganda this much
>>
>>54286847
>School/Uni Filters
lmao dude weed just tunnel the traffic through your home connection on port 443
>>
>>54286811
>pedophile or paranoid

top kek.
>>
>>54292834
It's tard central on /g/.They must be putting sugar and nicotine in the propaganda
>>
>>54287222
second
>>
>>54292743
The best analogy I've seen so far
>>
>I have nothing to hide

AHAHAAHA Post again in 2025 when you'll have an rfid / gps chip in the arm and a camera recording 24/7 what you do / see.

Freedom and privacy is dying for everyone because 0.0000001% of the planet have bad intents (pedos / terrorists etc ...)
>>
>>54286811

Buying drugs
>>
>>54293305
> actually believing this
>>
whistle blowers and people living under oppressive regimes.

If you are doing those things and you aren't using the same software as pedos or terrorists you are doing it wrong.
>>
File: 1371042453937.png (315 KB, 316x343) Image search: [Google]
1371042453937.png
315 KB, 316x343
>>54286811
>Tails sends its traffic through Tor.

but isn't Tor confirmed botnet now? Didn't the creator develop malware for it to help the US government?
>>
if you people have nothing to hide, why don't you post your logins and passwords?
>>
>>54292851
unless they sniff traffic, discover your tunnel and block it.
>>
>>54293480
the malware targets java and flash if you're dumb enough to leave them enabled, which tails disables by default I think. the same malware could be used to track people on clearnet too
>>
>>54293480
>>54293879
the tor-riced firefox does the same too

what even is tails? what does it do that tor browser doesn't
>>
>>54293860
IT at schools aren't competent enough for that. My old one used the Windows thing (family filter?) to block websites. Just booted into safe mode and you could bypass it.
>>
>>54287563
yeah nah, those shitters are more worried about affording food than browsing buzzfeed youtube poop
>>
>>54294212
you're fucking retarded if that's what you think they'd use it for
>>
If you don't want to buy drugs or download cheese pizza then it's totally pointless
>>
>>54294336
that's what 99.99% of the internet is used for though.
>>
>>54286811

I like my privacy. When I'm at the border, I don't think someone I don't know should be allowed to dig around in my luggage. Don't you use Google as you think to gather data? How many Google queries do you perform a month? Do you have a Google Account? Do you use GMail also? This data you are willing to freely give away is just as private as that laptop at the border. Among other things it could be your very private notes on life.
>>
>>54286811
Drugs dumbass
>>
>>54293447
>apple watch and smart tv's with cameras with surveillance already exist
>people BUY their big brother
Dumb fucks
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.