[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
NETWORKING GENERAL
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 5
File: images.jpg (8 KB, 305x165) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
8 KB, 305x165
You have some shitty question about networking?

Ask it here!
>>
>>54278100
>it's a Pajeet thread
>>
OP here. i'll start

I've been playing with cisco routers these days and i managed to copy my running-config to tftp server that i installed at my home pc. Everything works perfect but it made me think,

What's the point of tftp server and startup-config on it for the router if my router is in blank state aka can't access anything?

>>54278117
Not Pajeet sir, no sir
>>
>>54278100
Can
tcp_try_undo_loss
be (wrongly) called in scenarios other than reordering. I don't really know the gory details in the Linux kerne;, but my best guess is that it discovers that it falsely triggered fast recovery when it receives the final DSACK, but can the same scenario be triggered in any way that is not because of reordering?
>>
>>54278141
It's a centralized repository for all your configurations, nothing more. The only time you'll have to start from a blank slate is after upgrades/repairs/replacements, so it's not an issue.
>>
>>54278100
is it possible to trunk wireless adaptiers like ethernet on linux/BSD? I've got a spotty but fast and reliable but slow adapter and where I am in the house load balancing would make my world so much easier.
>>
File: 1446491311416.png (5 KB, 462x402) Image search: [Google]
1446491311416.png
5 KB, 462x402
>>54278100
I have solid knowledge about computer programming and hardware,but I never got to work with networking.
How do I get involved, what theoretical stuff do I need to learn first as a first step to understand how computer networks work? I am mostly interested in software ,if possible to separate from hardware side of the story.
>>
>>54278331
What do you mean by "trunk like ethernet"? Setting up VLAN? And why would you think this would help you with load balancing?

What you want is most likely multihoming. There are some WiFi access points that support it, but beware it's a hassle if the link speeds are very different.
>>
>>54278359
It's almost impossible to separate those two

I recommend odom's CCNA book and Lammle's CCNA book

But both of those are hardware oriented

If you wantto learn more about theory use Kurose Networking book and Tanenbaum Networking books
>>
>>54278359
Read Computer Networks by Andrew Tannenbaum
>>
>>54278390
Thanks.
In my head it seems I oversimplifed things. Basically I imagined if its possible to learn stuff without touching too much of network hardware. Just let it be there and work,while I work with it via software.I hope I make sense..
>>
>>54278390
>CCNA
Don't listen to this, the CCNA books are not generic and will only lead you down the dark path that is known as Cisco networking.

This is not what you want, unless you plan on becoming a CCNA/CCNP drone.
>>
>>54278443
>Basically I imagined if its possible to learn stuff without touching too much of network hardware
It is. Everything above link layer is software.
>>
Why does cisco still mention the OSI model in the CCNA R&S so much?

I though it was made obsolete by TCP/IP.
>>
>>54278511
As i understand, it's neither the OSI or TCP/IP, more like a mix of those that makes it easier for noobs to learn theory
>>
>>54278385
I meant load balancing multiple wireless connections fro mthe same access point or at a minimum good failover.

I figured the hardware side was the limiting factor tho. what supported technologies should I look for? its gotta be cheaper than hardwiring across the house and EoP is abysmal at this distance, but slightly more reliable than my current solution
>>
>>54278583
>what supported technologies should I look for?
Well, first of all an access points with multiple antennas that you can install dd-wrt or openwrt on, or some semi-expensive Cisco-crap that supports multihoming. Access points that are able to run as wireless repeaters or in what's called infrastructure mode is a good thing to look out for.

Alternatively, you can use two different access points, but then you need some sort of proxy behind them that "reassembles" your traffic, if it's multihoming you're after.

Secondly, you of course need two different adapters for your computer and be able to configure them to run on two different channels (or two different bands).

There are some simplified load-balancing stuff (as in, not multihoming) that allows you to just round robin on the different adapters. That's probably the easiest to get going with.
>>
>>54278548
The CCNA R&S starts with a mix and goes from the OSI to TCP/IP, but it make too much focus of the OSI.

I got fucked hard on the OSI portion when I did my CCNA R&S in high school, but I did manage to get it.
>>
>>54278100
What's my best alternative to Lets Encrypt for getting free X.509 certificates?
>>
How does networking work, like the internet, how does everyone connect to this same server that gets constantly updated (like domains)
>>
>>54278661
thanks for the tips, round robining aint cutting it any more and ive got a few retired WRT45Gs I can slap onto my pfsense box for experimentation purposes
>>
>>54278745
magnets
>>
If 2 players in an online game have a different ping, how does the server handle it so it still seems that everyone in that game has the same timeframe?
>>
>>54278754
Everyone always say Egypt pyramids was built by aliens, nah nigga, i think they gave us internet
>>
>>54278745
Routing
>>
>>54278804
idk, but if u speedhack by hooking winapis, then the other players see you teleporting around. So maybe it only relays the stuff the server gets n sends to other niggas
>>
Why can't mDNS pass from my wired to wireless network? Nor can it pass from one access point to another on the same IP network.
>>
>>54278449
cuck
>>
>>54278100
Why shouldn't I use a class A network for my home network?
>>
>>54278804
It doesn't.
The servers just respond to everyone in the order packets arrive and based on the data the server generates.
>>
>>54279586
BECAUSE CLASSES ARE USELESS NOW BESIDES FOR PUBLIC IP SPACING REFERENCES. THERE IS A THING CALLED SUBNETTING, LEARN IT

JESUS YOU PEOPLE ARE RUNNING OUT OF RETARDED GENERAL FAGGOTRY TO MAKE
>>
why is openvpn + qbittorrent so slow when torrenting... getting fast speeds on regular wifi internet but when i activate openvpn its slow.. and its not the servers either since i get fast speeds on ethernet
>>
File: 1.png (260 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1.png
260 KB, 1920x1080
What are those ? my qbitorrent is set to 10,000
>>
>>54279772
if you get good results in speedtest, perhaps the VPN is throttling torrents?
id try without encryption in the torrent, just to see
>>
>>54279747
Why bother subnetting when I can just make a Class A network?

At home that is. Of course in a business/organization setting you wouldn't just lump everyone in a Class A network, that'd be stupid.
>>
What's the real difference between a vpn and vlan?
>>
>>54278100

how do I con my way into a network tech or some type of network support job?
>>
File: 1459902037393.jpg (46 KB, 630x405) Image search: [Google]
1459902037393.jpg
46 KB, 630x405
>>54279986
you do pic related
>>
>>54279970
a vlan is a way to segment/separate networks
you 'dial' to a VPN (rasphone on windows) using credentials, u don't do so on vlans

they provide different things, so cant compare that well.
>>
>>54278511
I prefer the OSI model when troubleshooting. Easier to find exactly where the issue is if you go though all 7 layers of the OSI model, instead of the 4 more generic ones in the TCP/IP model.
But maybe that just depends what you are used to.

>>54278734
Why not just use Let's Encrypt?

>>54278745
Light and electricity going through wires.

>>54278804
It does things like lag compensation:
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Lag_compensation
It doesn't . Have you never been killed even though you were behind cover? That's because you were not perfectly synced with the server and other plays.

>>54279970
That's like asking what the difference is between a dog and a refrigerator. Completely different things with completely different purposes.
VLAN: Isolate networks from each other on layer 2.
VPN: Creates tunnels over public networks to emulate being on a private network at the other end of the tunnel.
>>
>>54279986
depends what country.

if you @ mid east, i could get you something
>>
>>54279125
shill
>>
>>54279970
VLAN separates your network into multiple smaller networks. Example - Turning your 1 network into 2 networks; 1 dedicated for VoIP phones, 1 dedicated to wireless internet.

VPN allows you to connect to your network, even when you're not near your network. Example - Traveling sales staff want to connect to a shared drive you have, they would use a VPN to do this so they can connect from anywhere.
>>
>>54278804
Client-side prediction.
>>
>>54280118
>>54280133
>>54279970

Vlans are a type of VPN that operate on OSI layer 2.
>>
>>54280133
>Why not just use Let's Encrypt?
They won't support my domain
>>
>>54280183
its not the point so nobody cares.
also no auth no/ encryption
>>
>>54280183
Not really true. VLANs allows dividing a single LAN into multiple logical and separate LANs, by sticking a VLAN trunk tag onto your ethernet frames.

VPNs are, like Lawlz wrote, virtual private networks that work through tunnelling, and can be implemented on layer 2 (MPLS), layer 3 (IPsec) or even on layer 4 (some sort of overlay network, such as Tor).
>>
>>54280230
Meant to write layer 5 (application), not 4 (transport).
>>
Why is networking so fucking awful? I am in my third year of college and have had to a semester of it.
I almost fail it everytime and makes me want to die.
>>
>>54280246
that's how i feel about math
not much to do there
>>
>>54280183
I guess you could technically call a VLAN a type of subcategory of VPN, but it works in a completely different want and have a different purpose so why bother?
You will never hear anyone say "should we implement a VPN or VLANs?".

>>54280246
Having trouble with anything specific? I think the Cisco material does a very good job of explaining things.
>>
>>54280230
You gave me the definition of how a vlan is implemented then you blathered about vpns and never told me how you don't think a vlan is a type of vpn.

Unless the definition of vpn has changed (could be true) but we used to build VPN's on frame-relay circuits all the time.
>>
File: mfw-dog.jpg (34 KB, 575x465) Image search: [Google]
mfw-dog.jpg
34 KB, 575x465
>>54280269
>I think the Cisco material does a very good job of explaining things.
Cisco material is only good for one thing: teaching you how Cisco does it.
>>
>>54278141

There are few purposes.

1. Backups
2. You can have your router/switch boot off tftp.
>>
>>54280292
Be rude if you want, I was only trying to be more specific about the implementation so you could understand the difference.

I don't consider a LAN to be the same thing as a network, as a LAN is basically a subnetwork while a VPN can consist of multiple subnetworks.
>>
>>54280258
Whats worse is we get to vote on modules and the three most popular get selected.
I am imaging networking is one of those but at least I heard Game Design is dead last.

>>54280269
>Having trouble with anything specific? I think the Cisco material does a very good job of explaining things.
Pretty much all of it, it is just one of those things I can't do. I had an awful semester because it was troubleshooting, the lecturer would give us a ticket with some problem and leave us alone to solve it.
I only ever solved one ticket, the server had a wrong IP address.
>>
>>54278331

No. Wi-Fi doesn't support NIC bonding.
>>
>>54278100
>Reply
how do i get into networking for big machines and aircraft?

ive got an information systems degree, and have seen all that ccna and isa shiz, but i want to work hands-on with stuff. like, i need to be doing something with my hands if im to be working.
i graduate in a week.

plz halp sos

>>54280246
so many protocols and rules just to explain simple concepts that you can make a computer do in a second
>>
>>54278359

Depends. If you want tangible, start with CCNA. If you just want general knowledge read the Andrew Tenebaum network book.
>>
>>54280298
That's just your opinion, man. The basics are very similar no matter if you use Cisco, Huawei, Juniper or whichever other vendor you might fancy. Even if Cisco will teach you for example HSRP it will still teach you pretty much exactly how VRRP works in the process.
>>
>>54278449

>CCNA/CCNP drone.

Cisco certs cover plenty more than just configuring switches+routers.
>>
>>54280387
I've read through Cisco stuff before, they go into detail about how Cisco equipment work, how to troubleshoot it, how Cisco proprietary protocols etc work.

They just scratch the surface of actual open protocols and how they work. It's not very useful unless you plan on configuring Cisco equipment.
>>
>>54280408
See >>54280441

They really don't. Proof? No one answered >>54278158 yet because no one on this shitty board for taiwanese tapestry actually know how TCP is implemented in Linux.
>>
>>54280292
Not the quoted anon, but conceptually thinking VLANs and VPNs are the same concept on different layers is flawed to me as well.
VPNs are used to securely access your networks remotely. They are also used for concealing traffic and other privacy/security reasons.
VLANs separate a LAN. You don't have to do this solely for privacy/security. You can also separate a network by VLANs for the fact that switches are dumb and you lower the risk of broadcast storms and ease the management of the network.
When I think VPN, I think secure connections and privacy.
When I think VLAN, I think about ease of management with an extra benefit of security.
>>
any CentOS7 genies here?

need some wifi help..

https://www.centos.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=57612#p243108
>>
>>54280601
>atheros qualcomm

That's not a CentOS specific issue, anon. That's simply because there are no (working) drivers for Loonix.
>>
>>54280441

CCNP Routing goes fairly extensively into OSPF and BGP.
>>
>>>54278100
can I attach a wireless router to my powerline adapter?
>>
>>54280656
>OSPF and BGP
oh wow, it's fucking nothing
>>
>>54280552
You are seeing VPN's as a specific idea (Marketing really) rather than the concept. This is why I think the term VPN has changed throughout its life. VPN's work on multiple layers, that is why I gave my example of when I worked at verizon and we would split vpc's in frame-relay circuits to create VPN's that companies would lease from us. Protip: if you lease a t-1 now, you its being provided as a VPN via frame-relay and vpc's.
>>
>>54280691
What about this guy's point >>54280323 ?
>>
>>54280672

What do you expect from a Routing+Switching certification?
>>
>>54280711
>I don't consider a LAN to be the same thing as a network

>I don't consider a Local -area- Network to be the same thing as a network

That's his problem.
>>
>>54280691
And that's still completely different from what VLANs are used for... What is your point? VLANs and VPNs are completely different things. They work in different ways and are used for different reasons.

>>54280672
Are you saying that OSPF and BGP are unimportant? Because they are the first and second most important routing protocols right now. Would you rather they wasted time going into RIP (which CCNP includes some of as well, priarily for redistribution purposes and RIPng)?
>>
>>54280730
Nice semantics trolling, but you're neglecting the fact that you don't route within a LAN, you route between LANs. A LAN is a separate subnetwork. A VPN, on the other hand, could consist of multiple subnetworks, multiple LANs if you will.
>>
>>54280764
You can have 5 different VPN technologies and they will all work a different way. Whats YOUR point?
>>
>>54280362
>so many protocols and rules just to explain simple concepts that you can make a computer do in a second

By learning and working your way up, i doubt they let anyone that knows nothing about how it actually works touch any networking equipment.
>>
>>54280441
>It's not very useful unless you plan on configuring Cisco equipment.
Which you will be.
>>
>>54280764
>Are you saying that OSPF and BGP are unimportant?
No, I'm saying that this is basic shit.

>Because they are the first and second most important routing protocols right now. Would you rather they wasted time going into RIP (which CCNP includes some of as well, priarily for redistribution purposes and RIPng)?
I would expect that they would go into modern routing protocols, such as OSLR, or 2.5 layer switching such as (G)MPLS. But yes, learning about RIP (or at least LS vs DV) is also useful due to the fact that a plethora of MANET and mesh network routing protocols are, in fact, DV-based.
>>
>>54280805
You wont unless you're a cable monkey at a small to mid-sized company.
>>
>>54280818
>>54280764
I would also expect them to go (deeper) into AQM and QoS stuff.
>>
i have a month to study for the network+ exam, are there any good test emulators out there that i can use to help get me ready?
>>
Installed Sage data service today on a 2008 R2 file server, there any problems with that data being accessed from multiple hosts?
>>
>>54280691
>we would split pvcs in frame-relay circuits to create VPNs
See, that's not a VPN to me. As I've studied and seen the applications of VPNs, they are a private network through a public network. A tunnel that is secured by authentication and encryption.
A physical connection to a frame relay switch, that just so happens to have multiple pvcs is exactly that: just a frame-relay network with multiple pvcs
Yes, they are both WANs if you're arguing that, but a "physical" connection to a frame-relay switch already effectively negated what a VPN is.
Maybe the definition has changed since your day but this is the definition I've learnt from classes and seen used.
>>
What is the "private vlan" feature on some switches? Does this mean it will allow traffic between private and non-private ports, but not between two private ports?
>>
>>54281021
The definition has definitely changed, it's clear that vpn now means IP-VPN. Back in the day frame-relay was clearly a vpn technology (this also included vlans were a type of vpn). Here's an old cisco book that shows Frame-relay being considered a VPN.

Marketing always wins in the tech world.

http://www.ciscopress.com/articles/article.asp?p=418656&seqNum=8
>>
>>54280784
>You can have 5 different VPN technologies and they will all work a different way. Whats YOUR point?
My point is that asking "what is the difference between a VLAN and a VPN" doesn't really make any sense.

>>54280818
>No, I'm saying that this is basic shit.
Have you read CCNP? Because it is not basic (unless you count everything related to OSPF basic). Besides, there is always CCIE if you think it is too basic.

>I would expect that they would go into modern routing protocols, such as OSLR, or 2.5 layer switching such as (G)MPLS. But yes, learning about RIP (or at least LS vs DV) is also useful due to the fact that a plethora of MANET and mesh network routing protocols are, in fact, DV-based.
By modern you mean things which are not as widely used and less important?
MPLS is CCNP territory. Or to be more specific, it's CCNP SP (there is CCIE SP as well if you want even more in-depth).

>>54280848
They do, in CCIE.

>>54281036
All private VLANs share the same primary VLAN, but they also have a separate, "secondary VLAN" associated with them.

Whether or not two private VLANs can talk to each other depends on a few other parameters (such as isolated private VLAN vs Community private VLAN) (communities can talk within themselves, isolated private VLANs can not).
Cisco explains it really well here:
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/configuration/guide/cli/CLIConfigurationGuide/PrivateVLANs.html
>>
>>54281145
Well, one thing they viciously beat into my head in classes, is the very technical use of "physical" and "logical". Virtual being "logical" immediately means to me that there should be nothing more than special software configurations. so a virtual private network, to me should be some kind of configuration of software, not focused on hiding physical connections.
Sorry if that's all semantics or detracting from your point.
I just mean that I don't think the old definition of VPN was a very good use.
>>
>>54281268
Well you need to look into Permanent VIRTUAL circuits (pvcs) used in frame-relay. or VIRTUAL local area network (VLAN) You just reiterated my point.
>>
>>54281292
Could you give me your definition of a VPN?

VLAN and pvc are accurately named to me; they are logical separations of connections of a network. a pvc is an imaginary version of a circuit, a path from 1 source to 1 destination.
It's virtual because unlike a phone line, you manually configure it through software, it's not a physical connection.
Same with VLANs, they're not actual "LANs" as in multiple different physical connections, they are configured through software so they are logical.
So to me a VPN, being a virtual hidden network through a public one, configured through software with no actual physical connection, is again an accurate use of virtual.
as in, the Private Network part of VPN is that it's not a physical private network connected through cables. It's a logical one that just so happens to use a public network as its medium.
>>
>>54281419
Virtual - Does not physically exist
Private - unknown from outside the virtual circuit
network - connection between two or more points

both vlans and pvc's exist as VPN's under that definition.
>>
>>54280207
I'm curious, why is this?
>>
>>54281602
https://github.com/letsencrypt/boulder/issues/597
>>
Heh i've been waiting for one of these to pop up
Should i get an edge router x and wireless ap for a 200mbps connection or should i just go with an archer c7 with openwrt?
>>
>>54281545
Okay, well I don't see each term as individual like that.

Public Network to me is a phrase, Public-Network
Same with Private Network, Private-Network.

A Public-Network is any kind of network that is not a direct end-to-end connection, Such as Frame-relay network, the internet, etc.
A Private-Network is any kind of network that is directly connected, such as leased-lines (T1)
so a Virtual Private-Network, to me, means that it's a logical end-to-end direct connection.
Either way that's enough derailing from me. Thanks for humoring my curiosity about different VPN definitions.
>>
>>54281683
No problem.
But like I said, if you buy a T-1 leased line from an American ISP (verizon, AT&T, sprint..etc) you will receive a frame-relay t-1 that is configured with PVC's aka a historic VPN. But they will give a t-1 Service-level-agreement.
>>
Will testking dumps from 2010 or so still apply for the current 640-802? I'm in the process of learning all the shit for it, but I want to memorize all the dumps right before I take it so I don't waste the $150 on the test fee.
Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.