[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
JAVA vs C#
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6
File: codeeval2014.jpg (67 KB, 750x563) Image search: [Google]
codeeval2014.jpg
67 KB, 750x563
I'm at the beginning of my career and have two offers at the moment. I need to choose, and it will impact my CV in the future.

>Working with C# and Microsoft technologies

>Working with Java

Which should I choose? Please note that I have very little experience with both.
>>
C# no debate about it
>>
>>54277952
c# as a language is better than java but it depends what kind of job you want. Usually there are more java jobs.
>>
>>54277952

C#, no doubt, is Java done right.
MS is a big company, so you'll have some level of job security too. Do us all a favor and help dismantle their PC culture from the inside.
>>
>>54277952
C# has the better language.

Java has the better runtime and ecosystem, and you could jump to Kotlin or Ceylon (which are better languages) without abandoning that ecosystem.

Also, for the moment you cannot do real C# coding on Linux and to a lesser extent, OS X.
>>
>>54277952
C#

But you should be asking for what purpose? Those 2 languages make insane amounts of money in web dev with ASP.net or Spring, sure, but pure JS with node is climbing up the salary ladder. It might be a better investment to learn that since you will be doing JS anyway (assuming your choice between the 2 languages is financially-motivated)
>>
Isn't both almost the same but different syntax wise?
>>
>>54278233
All languages are largely the same. The major difference is their ecosystem
>>
Only Pajeets pick Java
>>
File: pajeet.jpg (112 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
pajeet.jpg
112 KB, 1920x1080
>>54277983
>>54278027
>>54278075
>>54278136
>>54278196
>>54278304
Pajeet microshill detected
>>
>>54278393
Better than Pajeet Java shills
>>
>>54277952
Are you choosing between two different jobs?

Frontend vs backend or embedded vs enterprise matters, but java vs c# does not
>>
C# if you're making desktop application.
Java if you're writing server backend.

No sane person would choose C# for server backend unless they're forced by the management group.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (24 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
24 KB, 480x360
>>54278531
>but java vs c# does not

Are you really sure?

Both jobs are on back-end, by the way. Web services, security, encryption.

>embedded vs enterprise

what do you mean by this?
>>
>>54278393
Didn't even read my post nigger. I suggested to stay with Java's ecosystem but ditch the language.

I'd say anyone who defends Oracle Java that much before Microsoft C# is the true Pajeet. Hell, Nutella has a patent pledge while Oracle is suing Google for using Java on Android; if C#'s main IDE wasn't Visual Shitdio I'd even say it was a honest to god FLOSS language.
>>
>>54277952
OP it doesn't matter; the languages are the same, the work is the same, and neither will bring you any happiness long term.
>>
>>54278649
But I want to choose the one that will open more doors for me in the future.
>>
I hate writing JAVA. Like running it on any machine.

I love writing C#. Hate being somewhat confined to Windows/VS.

>NB4 MonoDevelop
>>
C# if CV is your only concern.
>>
>>54278789
>java used 3 times more than C#
>C# if CV is your only concern.

Where's the logic in that?
>>
>>54278663
IMHO, programming language is the second thing.
The most important is your experience when developing software.
Is the software design good ?
Is it maintainable in a long run ?
Is it supposed to be one of build-and-forget ?
How about deployment target ? Will you stuck with certain vendor lock-in ? Is the offered target server price competitive ?
etc...
>>
>>54278942
The C# offer is about a scalable web-services layered arquitecture and I'll be using SCRUM and KANBAN. That's why I'm more inclined to this one.
>>
>>54279004
>>54278942
Also, REST web-services. I'll also be offering support for old applications, but I can't have everything.
>>
>>54277952
Both are for Pajeet Pooinloo. You should learn Lisp via either Scheme/Racket or Common Lisp.
>>
>>54279041
>You should learn Lisp via either Scheme/Racket or Common Lisp.
t. NEET
>>
>>54278820
Of course, it depends on where OP lives, but in my (first-world) country the requests for programmers knowledgeable in C# vastly outweighs those used to Java. Not that the languages are very different anyway.
>>
>>54279041
>You should learn Lisp via either Scheme/Racket or Common Lisp.
If he's to learn an old language he might as well learn COBOL which offers some actual job opportunities.
>>
>>54279121
>COBOL
started learning it for lulz and it's comfy as fuck
>>
>>54279004

this sounds good
>>
>>54279167

> COBOL
> not ALGOL

ISHYGDDT
>>
>>54279004
>>54279031
Which is why i would say it's better for you to put in a layman term about your software advantage.
ie: rather than saying you're good in certain language, it's better to say you're good in Service Oriented Architecture design.
>>
>>54279216
>ALGOL
not Motavia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vkx0IsRPpEY&index=4&list=PLi3H8siflmEcXvtghiNAa1U2SfWAwh7jG
ISHYGDDT
>>
File: pajeetcode.jpg (244 KB, 755x1341) Image search: [Google]
pajeetcode.jpg
244 KB, 755x1341
>>54277952
>At the beginning of my career
Nope. You'r already at the end of your career.
>>
>>54277952
Do python
>>
>>54279849
>programming in America
>>
File: 1448073972147.gif (4 MB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1448073972147.gif
4 MB, 200x200
>people unironically choose jobs that pay SLIGHTLY more than a job that'll let them program in an environment they are comfortable with
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.