[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you use a programmers calculator /g/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
File: Megatops-BinCalc_1.png (41 KB, 575x315) Image search: [Google]
Megatops-BinCalc_1.png
41 KB, 575x315
Do you use a programmers calculator /g/?
>>
no.
Why would I limit myself to something like that when I have R?
>>
>>54275292
Can R even display shit in hex?
>>
File: 75eeaf.png (33 KB, 407x376) Image search: [Google]
75eeaf.png
33 KB, 407x376
I use the windows calc 1 lol, but it doesn't support IPs like yours.
>>
>>54276033
I made a function so it can.
Are you too stupid to do this?
>>
File: hp 50g.jpg (444 KB, 1200x1800) Image search: [Google]
hp 50g.jpg
444 KB, 1200x1800
>>54275260
hp 50g lets you use hex, oct and binary literals, supports bitwise and bitshifts, RPN input and even lets you set the wordlength
>>
>>54275260
No, I use Python + Numpy + Scipy + Matplotlib, MATLAB or Mathematica depending on the job.
>>
>>54276390
this 2bh
What kind of queer doesn't use a real calculator?
>>
>>54275260
>>54276127
>>54276390
>no automaton capabilities
>no grammar capabilities
That's not a "programmers calculator", that's a piece of shit
>>
>>54276617
what do those things have to do with calculators
>>
Jesus, man.
If you're such a bigshot programmer, you can fire up your shell and scribble a script that calculates whatever it is you need to calculate.
>>
>>54276617
A HP 50g has both of those
>>
>>54276416
everyone

calculator emulators on your phone >>> $50 brick that takes AA batteries and only has 4MHz processor
>>
>>54277123
>calculator emulators on your phone >>> $50 brick that takes AA batteries and only has 4MHz processor
yeah I'm just going to use my phone on the exam faggot
>>
>>54277191
>taking a calculator to the exam
a calculator is at most useful for high school tier math
>>
>>54277211
Maybe if you never learned to use anything but the most basic functions of your shitty TI
>>
>>54277236
Can your calculator write a proof? Can it do abstract algebra or topology?
>>
>>54277123
buttons you can feel with your fingers and type numbers on without looking >>>>>>>>>>>> tapping on a piece of glass
>>
>>54277259
>Can it do abstract algebra or topology?
It can
>Can your calculator write a proof?
Are you retarded? Though probably some autist wrote a program to do a few proofs
>>
>>54277301
Show me

Also it being unable to write proofs means it is probably useful for less than half of the questions
>>
>>54277259
Recent calculators can actually do some CAS stuff, though not very quickly or well.

Here are the things my decidedly not fancy calculator from high school can do:
>handy imaginary number calculations
>base conversions
>matrix transformations and calculations
>calculating the final answer after sorting out the equation
>tabulating expressions to sanity-check calculations and produce lists of values
>quick statistical calculations
>calculating formulae for various sets of parameters
>solve arbitrary equations using Newton's method
>do unit conversions
>trig
A calculator is not exclusive at any of these tasks, but it can be integrated into a workflow. These days I only use mine for radix and unit conversions, basic arithmetic and formula calculations.
>>
>>54277369
>Recent calculators can actually do some CAS stuff, though not very quickly or well.
Calculators can into CAS since the mid 90's 48G's
They didn't really evolve much after that though, the 50g is just an overpowered 48G
The simple fact that they offer a turing complete programming language means you can do anything on them, there's even C compilers for them
>>
>>54277440
Same on the TI end of things, though they did make some more recent ones with ARM CPUs and better resolution displays.
>>
>>54277587
>ARM CPU
>high resolution display

I just want a calculator with the processing power of a budget smartphone and expandable storage via microSD or something.

Just roll their own custom OS on it and make it basically MATLAB/R in my pocket. Would buy that shit in a heartbeat.
>>
>>54277440
Can doesn't mean it is worth it

Also it isn't Turing complete because it has limited memory
>>
>>54277440
Just because one can, doesn't mean one should.
There's little reason not to fire up MATLAB or a nice CAS suite, and do the work on a nice PC.
>>
>>54277711
It's much faster to write something in RPL than firing up a PC and writing shit in Matlab
A calculator is much smaller too
>>
>>54277659
Better, make said functionality into an Android app and sell it along with a Bluetooth calculator keypad. Or make the whole device like you said but make it run Android instead of a custom OS you need to design tools to make anything custom for.
>>
>>54277777
Yeah, but they can't get away with charging what they do for a bluetooth keyboard and an app

It would have to be a really stripped down version of Android

Nice quints
>>
>>54277777
>>54277659
There's literally no market for this sort of thing.
99% of people who buy graphing calculators don't even use 99% of their functionality.
The other 1 percent are basically 70 year old STEM majors who have nostalgia boners for ancient HP "portable computers" aka calculators and refuse to even emulate their ancient hardware on tablets or smartphones.

Anyone who actually requires a capable machine for math is just gonna fire up matlab or mathematica on their laptop.
>>
>>54277846
>nostalgia boners
I'm still rooting for the day when hipsters discover the slide rule and make it popular again.
>>
File: programmer.jpg (151 KB, 640x1066) Image search: [Google]
programmer.jpg
151 KB, 640x1066
I have one, but don't really use it.
I just think it looks neat.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.