[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Linux Mint Vs Ubuntu
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5
File: hqdefault.jpg (23 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
23 KB, 480x360
Which one?
>>
>>54273634
Arch Linux :^)
>>
Gentoo.
>>
Do you prefer Orange or Green?

That's about it.
>>
>>54273786
kek
>>
File: 1460676115157.gif (2 MB, 333x250) Image search: [Google]
1460676115157.gif
2 MB, 333x250
>>54273786
You are absolutely right.
>>
>>54273634
thats like asking fiat punto twin air vs fiat punto lounge, while there are other cars to choose from.
>>
The only difference is styling, why don't you learn how to actually use a computer you fucking idiot.
>>
>>54273634
FreeBSD
>>
>>54273634
mint sucks
>not compatible with ubuntu PPAs (main reason to use ubuntu desu)
>no security updates
>questionable update schedule
>even more bloated than ubuntu
>>
>>54273634

Ubuntu server if I have to choose.

Mint is completely fucked.
>>
>>54273634
>Ubuntu vs Green Ubuntu
Tough call, good luck with this difficult choice. It will definitely have a big impact on your life.
>>
Just add a theme to Ubuntu if the default looks boring to you.
>>
>>54273634
If you want the Cinnamon desktop, just install Manjaro or Antergos
>>
>>54273700
>using the smiley with a carat nose
>>
>>54274012
>>54273933
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/10/privacy-ubuntu-1210-amazon-ads-and-data-leaks
>>
I would just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Mint, is in fact, Ubuntu/Cinnamon, or as I've recently taken to calling it, Ubuntu plus Cinnamon. Mint is not a GNU/linux distro unto itself, but rather adds another free component to a fully functioning GNU/Linux system made useful by the software normally shipped with a Ubuntu distro comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the Ubuntu distro every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of Ubuntu which is widely used today is often called "Mint", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the Ubuntu distro, developed by Canonical.

There really is a Mint, and these people are using it, but it just adds a part of the system they use. Mint comes with the Cinnamon desktop environment: the program in the system that helps the user work with the computer in an intuitive manner. The desktop environment is an essential part of a graphical operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Mint with Cinnamon was developed after a group of users was unhappy with the direction Ubuntu was heading with the introduction of Unity: the whole system is basically Ubuntu with Cinnamon added, or Ubuntu/Cinnamon. Mint is also available with the MATE desktop environment, a fork of GNOME 2 desktop environment 2. Other Ubuntu variants with other desktop environments include Xubuntu (XFCE/Ubuntu) or Kubuntu (KDE/Ubuntu).
>>
>>54274130
>October 29, 2012
>Ubuntu 12.10
Neck yourself.
>>
File: 0519 - 0Ow2bPv.png (148 KB, 636x657) Image search: [Google]
0519 - 0Ow2bPv.png
148 KB, 636x657
> using anything other than Redhat
>>
>>54274418
>posting frogs

Also
>not Debian sid

Kyas
>>
>>54273634
ubuntu
>>
>>54273933
>>not compatible with ubuntu PPAs (main reason to use ubuntu desu)
Yes they are. Mint is based on Ubuntu 14.04 right now.
>>
Mint is literally Ubuntu but more stable and with less bloat.
>>
>>54273634
Mint is just a shittier Ubuntu, as for the most derivate distros.
>>
>>54273634
Mint. Been using 17.3 cinnamon for a few months now. Works pretty good. Wish there was a way to clear the history from the alt+F2 dialog though.
I've tried several versions of buntus, including the very 1st release. Never liked any of them much. I'm a firm believer kubuntu is the reason so many people don't like KDE.
>>
>>54274214
Wow a post that gives actual advice
I'm impressed
>>
ubuntu mate is the best
>>
>>54273634
Ubuntu.

Mint is basically Ubuntu with a different DE and slightly older packages. Same bugs, same experience.

Mint made sense back in 2010 when Ubuntu ditched Gnome2 for Unity, Cinnamon was the best DE for a while.

But today Gnome3 is actually good, Plasma 5 is great, xfce is good and Unity is bearable. There is no need for mint anymore.
>>
>>54275042
last line should be
println(dog.hatched_chick(chicken, disappointed_relieved))
>>
>>54275141
valid point, but cinnamon (not mint) is still good and gnome3 is still shit
>>
>>54275308
Ah man thanks, I was staring at this code, wondering where that dogdog method suddenly came from
>>
>>54273933
>LMDE
>Regular Mint

GTFO MY /g/
>>
>>54274395
>overlooking the jew
gas yourself
>>
>>54275032
Alt F2 history clear:
Figured it out finally much google and trial and error.
>Install dconf-cli
>run
dconf reset /org/cinnamon/command-history
>>
>>54274214

>Many computer users run a modified version of the Ubuntu distro every day, without realizing it.

What is "Linux Mint Debian Edition"?

Pleb.
>>
Get Debian and learn what the fuck you're doing. Unbuntu's interface is crap.
>>
>>54273634

I've tried both and Mint is so much better.

The interface is cleaner, the software center is better, the update system is better, Cinnamon is better than Unity and MATE, Mint has all relevant tools and not this philosophical jerking about codecs, better release cycles, you don't suck Canonical's dick and - last but not least - you don't get tempted to do upGRADEs that kill your whole system (including complete data loss) in 50% of all cases without giving you the slightest hint what's coming at you.
>>
only problem with linux mint is that the logo looks like shit

what were they thinking
>>
PC-BSD
>>
File: 1439751841352.jpg (46 KB, 691x624) Image search: [Google]
1439751841352.jpg
46 KB, 691x624
>>54273634
>using a debian based distribution
>>
>>54276816
atleast its not as bad as gentoo
>>
Guys, thank you all for the answers, i think i'm going to Debian.
>>
Mint uses less ram, but cinnamon is garbage, Ubuntu has better software support and community but Unity is garbage.

If you have a shit machine, go Mint + Windowmaker/XFCE/i3
If you have a decent machine go Ubuntu with anything other than unity.
>>
>>54273889
You don't need other cars if you can have an italian Masterpiece.
The panda was better tho.
>>
>Mint
outdated
>Ubuntu
not outdated

Just install the Ubuntu version with that DE if you want it so bad.
>>
>>54273933
>14.04
>two years out of date

WOW
>>
>>54277206
Or is named Fedora.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.