[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cooling
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
File: cooling .jpg (1 MB, 3151x2368) Image search: [Google]
cooling .jpg
1 MB, 3151x2368
How do you keep your hard drives cool /g/?
>>
I blow really hard.
>>
>>54268483
I don't. They're cool all the time.
>not using the most reliable 5400RPM drives for general storage
>not using SSDs for everything else
It's like you want to be cucked
>>
>>54268506
>not enjoying 10,000 RPMs of pure, sexy, hard drive performance
>>
Cooling your drives too much increases failure rate
>>
>>54268483
Cool drives die faster. Let them be warm.
>>
>>54268519
SSDs are better in high-performance applications.
In my case I don't have such requirements. I got like two gaymes on my PC and I don't use it for any productive purpose (other than browsing the internet)
>>
>>54268536
Is this real? I live in a third world shit hole with 35-40°C room temp. The hard drive bay is like burning. You can even feel the heat when touch the plastic outside the case
>>
>>54268536
>source: my ass
>>
>>54268691
I mean, you could look at the post above that with the nice graph. You could even look up that the source of that graph is a study done by Google.
>>
>>54268736
I'd rather not, since I know it's bullshit and a massive waist of time
>>
>>54268736
You have no idea how mechanics work.
Please leave this board.
>>
I mist them with water
>>
>>54268483
tit milk cooling from your mom
>>
>>54268834
I wonder how young and stupid this poster must be.
Uncultured swine. Get back to >>>/v/
>>
>>54268689
looking at >>54268527
the ideal temp is ~37-46 celcius, so you'd want a fan over the drives in a 35-40c room
>>
>>54268834
Where do you think you are?
Eat shit you uncultured swine
>>
>>54268829
>>54268794
Ignoring evidence without any data to the contrary is also an option I guess.
>>
>>54268909
>evidence
>some graphs
>implying my three year old experience in managing data center isn't worth more than your pulled out of ass numbers
Please anon become an hero.
>>
>>54268967
Yes I'm sure your anecdotal evidence is far more valid than the study Google did on over 100,000 drives.
>>
>>54269011
Yeah, because google isn't shilling for their company.

You can't even prove these numbers are real. Hell, you can't even prove you are real. Please prove you really exist first.
>>
Southeastern asian hand fanners
>>
>>54268909
You faggots keep posting benchmarks and charts and graphs, all clearly cherry picked because they agree with you.

It takes a special kind of retard to take anyone on here seriously
>>
>>54268536
Ive heard this too.

I always ran those stupid coolers that blew directly onto the bottom of my platter drives, and stuck huge fans near them.

My hard drives always had really bad premature deaths.

When I finally stopped cheaping out and got a real case, I couldnt fit the coolers on the hard drives anymore so I left them off. They stopped drying so fast.

Obviously that is very anecdotal, and even im not sure I believe it was a factor in it, but it still makes me wonder sometimes. This was from like 06-08 I had like 5 Western Digitals fail on me. Maybe they were just bad batches, because I got Barracudas and they were rock solid, literally still have a few 250s that still work to this day
>>
>>54268483
One of my HDDs sits at 40c. That's not too too bad right?
>>
>>54269219
No.
>>
>>54269219
It's atrocious
>>
>>54268483
I don't cool them. They remain 30-34C during 20-22 ambient temperature and at the hottest summer days when it's like 27-29 ambient they stay below 40.
In any way it's not comfortable to use your PC at high ambient temps and not only your hard drive will suffer from it, so I'd suggest to invest into air con instead of dumping money into hundreds of case fans.
>>
>>54270043
My case only supports 17 fans, nowhere near hundreds.
>>
>>54268483
By having them in the garage and not caring.

NAS truly changed my life.
>>
>hard drive at 49 degrees
Living on the edge
>>
File: Untitled.png (5 KB, 560x75) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
5 KB, 560x75
>>54268519
I fucking love my raptors. I have been using since the original 36 gig, and currently am on a 500 gig for my desktop.

they run cool, they are reliable as hell, and if you dont like the sound of them you shouldnt be around computers

although to be fair, the 36 gig is fucking atrociously loud, just idle and when in use. but i only use that thing for testing hardware
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.