[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who GNU/Linux on Macbook here?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
File: Arch%20Linux%20On%20Macbook[1].jpg (945 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Arch%20Linux%20On%20Macbook[1].jpg
945 KB, 1920x1080
Who GNU/Linux on Macbook here?
>>
File: y_tho.jpg (51 KB, 473x480) Image search: [Google]
y_tho.jpg
51 KB, 473x480
>>
Nope, because I don't own a Macbook.
If I did, probably.
t. KDE Neon on Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro
>>
I wouldn't unless osx was slow.

I mean does Linux even 4 finger gestures
>>
>>54268044
>owning a Mac
I don't suck dicks
>>
>>54268044
Manjaro on a imac27 from around 2010
>>
>>54268331
This
>>
File: obongo.gif (123 KB, 550x367) Image search: [Google]
obongo.gif
123 KB, 550x367
>Macfag is using Gnome
go figure
>>
...why?
The only reason to own a MacBook is to have OSX without having to go through the hackintosh route
>>
I got a MBA as a gift a couple months ago, don't see any reason to use Linux. I'm more of a BSD user regardless, and my wifi card doesn't work well on either.
>>
>>54268487
I disagree. The hardware is much better than most other laptops of the same price. Apple's desktops however are meme-tier.
>>
>Paying 4x more to have a Mac
>Running Linux

This is dribbling spastic-tier.
>>
>>54268530
Using arbitrary price estimates doesn't make your claim any less incorrect.
>>
>>54268044
sorry but my time isn't worthless
>>
>>54268044
Using gnome? I run KDE myself
>>
>>54268044
>pays +1000$ on a premium laptop just to use a hobbyist free os
>>
>>54268331
Haha memes xD
>>
>>54268518
>The hardware is much better than most other laptops of the same price.

No it is. We are not going to discuss this. There have been 1000 threads on this subject already.

https://archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/

use the archive and lurk more
>>
I run Lubuntu on an 8 year old macbook to serve as a seedbox
>>
>>54268044
Honestly why? If one thing the macbook has going for it, it's the battery life.
>>
>>54268628
>muh specs
This is the stupidest argument in the context of laptops ever. He means the hardware is much better than most other laptops of the same price where it actually matters.
>>
>>54268044
Why would you cripple such a beautiful machine like that? You will never get full battery life out of it and the trackpad will be shitty.
>>
>>54268664
What?
>>
>>54268715
What part don't you get?
>>
You can buy some nice Dell's with linux preinstall and they have all the features that their windows counterparts have.
>>
>>54268044
Why?

>>54268331
>being this proud about not spending neetbucks on something good

>>54269009
He probably doesn't get that build quality, screen and basically everything is part of the hardware.
>>
>>54268715
NIC, sound card, trackpad, build quality, screen(especially this) are all part of the package.
If they come with a good processor, even better, but most important are these, and Apple is unbeatable aside from a few OEMs that use high end components on every part of the logic board, but still manage to fuck up something up.
>>
>>54268530

That's clearly an old mac, those aren't very expensive once the specs become too poor. It's easy to swap out the garbage HDD for an SSD, that usually boosts the speed up enough for the laptop to be entirely useable. Put in a bit more ram (4-8GB total) and it's almost like a new low end laptop. Although there's a chance the battery has to be replaced. Anyway, there are ways to get old MBP's for free or for little money, if you have the channels or the luck.

So a 128GB SSD is $35 (sandisk), 4GB of ram is $5-20 depending if you buy new or used and a replacement battery goes from $30 to more, depending on the quality. So parts are from $75-100, the MPB either free or like $200-300 (dual core models), you end up spending $300-500 for something that definitely is better made and nicer than some shitty Acer.

Install a nice and light distro like Arch and you will have an entirely useable computer that's way nicer to use than some shitty entry level laptop. I don't really like macbooks even though I acknowledge the good features of them. But I still prefer Thinkpads, I did basically the same operations to my T60 and with Arch it's still super decent to use. It actually feels (probably is) faster than my shitty Lenovo laptop with an N2840. Hard to tell, it's running W10.
>>
>>54268530
definitely, losing retina + driver issues + half battery life... OP confirmed for being spastic
>>
>>54269516
Using a different OS doesn't suddenly make the screen lose its specs, nor does he install windows so he has driver issues, every Mac since forever has had good Linux support.
You'll lose battery, but 1-2 hours most if you know how to use powertop and tlp.
You can actually get more battery if you start fucking around with kernel, drive and scheduler settings.
>>
I don't understand people who put Linux on their Macbook. Isn't OS X like 90% of the appeal?

5% being the screen, and 5% being the trackpad
>>
>>54269706
No? OSX is shit, Macbooks have really good hardware and looks. And that's all I'm interested in, price be damned.
Of course the 16:10 screen is the main attraction.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.