[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Died about the same time as Jobs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
File: dennis_ritchie.jpg (4 KB, 120x160) Image search: [Google]
dennis_ritchie.jpg
4 KB, 120x160
>What? No Netflix documentary? He created the most popular OS and programming language of all times.
>>
>>54266884
Quit your bitching. That was 5 years ago, and no one but /g/ents cared about him. Sure, he played a pivotal part in building the modern tech world, but mainstream doesn't care. Why would they?
>>
>>54266884
Eh, at least as time goes on more and more people realize what a piece of shit Steve Jobs was
>>
>>54266884

Well, those who cared knew about it.

And, he died of old age, while jobs died of a sudden cancer in his 50's, which stunned people .
>>
unix was a mistake
>>
>>54266884
unix is the most popular OS?
>>
>>54266946
>sudden cancer
it was known for years that jobs was slowly dying, you could see him getting more gaunt and frail every year.

the fact of the matter is, jobs made something that is relevant to the general public, modern computers and smartphones.
No layman knows what unix is.
>>
>>54267009
Linux = OS installed on phones = Unix (more or less)
MacOSX = FreeBSD = Unix (more or less)
WindowsNT = borrowed fair share of Unix a little too late.
>>
>>54267039
Linux is a kernel and android is not GNU/Linux.
>>
>>54267076
hahah... which kernel does your android phone report under "about phone"?
>>
>>54267076
Linux is any operating system built upon the Linux kernel and Android, as it is using the Linux kernel is a Linux operating system.
>>
>>54266948
Hi Bill, how's all that money you fleeced off of an ignorant public treating you
>>
>>54267076
Linux is a OS and GNU/Linux is not real
>>
>>54267076
>GNU
Look, a RM/S shill
>>
You are going to have to grow up and realize that normies do not give a single shit about technology and how it really works. This is okay though because it's easier to find out how to scam them instead of being a true pioneer. The great news is that businesses are normies too and you can scam them on a whole separate level.
>>
>>54266884
Yo, who the f is this?
>>
>>54266884
so what, people are sheep. nothing new, carry on.
>>
>>54266884
Unix is not Linux, Linux is not Android etc.

And actually Android is kinda of an improvised piece of shit, with a Java VM splashed on top of a linux kernel. They could have literally used any kernel, they probably just used linux because it cost nothing. Surely not because it was popular.

Consumers who buy Android phones don't do it because of Android, but because that's what they can afford. The OS is surely not a selling point, it's more like something they have to get used to.

And most people don't know which OS a server runs on and don't care.
>>
How much money did he make?
How many wanna-be Silicon Valley fags did he inspire after a shit-tier biopic was made?

None

Therefore, he doesn't matter, because the average normie can't identify with him and fantasize about making a start up and making billions and shitting on the people they know
>>
>>54270438
It's normal he doesn't matter, he was an ubernerd who made a tool for nerds. Who the fuck in the general public cares about programming language creators? Nobody.
>>
>>54266884
who?
>>
>>54270220
This. Literally who are we talking about here?
>>
I read,

Looks like folks are now beginning to credit the development of
UNIX to Kernighan and Ritchie, but I thought the principal
investigators were *Thompson* and Ritchie. Did something change?

The differences between Kernighan Ritchie Thompson are real but very
subtle. We all look alike (middle aged with scruffy graying beards).
Note these distinctions:

-- Kernighan is slimmest, Ritchie middlest, Thompson heaviest in body
build

-- Ritchie got contacts a couple of years ago and so is the only
current non-glasses wearer

-- Thompson wouldn't touch netnews with a pole, Kernighan secretly gets
misc.invest and misc.taxes mailed to him, Ritchie reads it more than is
good for him and occasionally contributes

-- Ritchie is the only one who has met five people who have appeared on
David Letterman (Penn, Teller, Rob Pike, Mayor Koch, and the guy who
raised the biggest hog in Ohio)

-- Kernighan has written ten times as much readable prose as has
Ritchie, Ritchie ten times as much as Thompson. It's tempting to say
that the reverse proportions hold for code, but in fact Kernighan and
Ritchie are more nearly tied and Thompson wipes us both out.

-- Dennis
>>
C is a big fat mess.

Think about how much better software would be today if everybody wrote in a dynamic garbage-collected language like Lisp instead.

I'm pretty sure some people have literally died due to stack overflow errors.
>>
I was warmly surprised to see how many people responded to my Google+ post about Dennis Ritchie’s untimely passing. His influence on the technical community was vast, and it’s gratifying to see it recognized. When Steve Jobs died there was a wide lament - and well-deserved it was - but it’s worth noting that the resurgence of Apple depended a great deal on Dennis’s work with C and Unix.

The C programming language is quite old now, but still active and still very much in use. The Unix and Linux (and Mac OS X and I think even Windows) kernels are all C programs. The web browsers and major web servers are all in C or C++, and almost all of the rest of the Internet ecosystem is in C or a C-derived language (C++, Java), or a language whose implementation is in C or a C-derived language (Python, Ruby, etc.). C is also a common implementation language for network firmware. And on and on.

And that’s just C.

Dennis was also half of the team that created Unix (the other half being Ken Thompson), which in some form or other (I include Linux) runs all the machines at Google’s data centers and probably at most other server farms. Most web servers run above Unix kernels; most non-Microsoft web browsers run above Unix kernels in some form, even in many phones.

And speaking of phones, the software that runs the phone network is largely written in C.

But wait, there’s more.
>>
>>54270510
In the late 1970s, Dennis joined with Steve Johnson to port Unix to the Interdata. From this remove it’s hard to see how radical the idea of a portable operating system was; back then OSes were mostly written in assembly language and were tightly coupled, both technically and by marketing, to specific computer brands. Unix, in the unusual (although not unique) position of being written in a “high-level language”, could be made to run on a machine other than the PDP-11. Dennis and Steve seized the opportunity, and by the early 1980s, Unix had been ported by the not-yet-so-called open source community to essentially every mini-computer out there. That meant that if I wrote my program in C, it could run on almost every mini-computer out there. All of a sudden, the coupling between hardware and operating system was broken. Unix was the great equalizer, the driving force of the Nerd Spring that liberated programming from the grip of hardware manufacturers.

The hardware didn’t matter any more, since it all ran Unix. And since it didn’t matter, hardware fought with other hardware for dominance; the software was a given. Windows obviously played a role in the rise of the x86, but the Unix folks just capitalized on that. Cheap hardware meant cheap Unix installations; we all won. All that network development that started in the mid-80s happened on Unix, because that was the environment where the stuff that really mattered was done. If Unix hadn’t been ported to the Interdata, the Internet, if it even existed, would be a very different place today.

I read in an obituary of Steve Jobs that Tim Berners-Lee did the first WWW development on a NeXT box, created by Jobs’s company at the time. Well, you know what operating system ran on NeXTs, and what language.

Even in his modest way, I believe Dennis was very proud of his legacy. And rightfully so: few achieve a fraction as much.

So long, Dennis, and thanks for all the magic.
>>
>>54266948
this. its funny, the confusion oss-tards have. as if there arent or havnt been any other mainstream oss oses.

its a shame linux won.
>>
File: 1427692135523.jpg (89 KB, 550x529) Image search: [Google]
1427692135523.jpg
89 KB, 550x529
Jobs didn't do anything spectacular, he was just "cool" in the public eye

his products (which he had basically no part in designing or developing) were nothing more than trendy fashion accessories that you could also check your Facebook notifications on
>>
>>54270596
Haven't seen that pic in ages.Gave me a good chuckle
>>
>>54267036
>modern computers
Wat

>smartphones
Wat
>>
>>54266912
but muh Ada Lovelace
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.