[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
C++
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4
File: Bjarne.jpg (159 KB, 600x437) Image search: [Google]
Bjarne.jpg
159 KB, 600x437
I want to give Bjarne a blowjob for inventing C++ and I'm not even gay. It's the best programming language ever.

C is deprecated, unsafe bullshit used by cavemen. The entire Linux kernel should be rewritten in C++. If Symbian can do it, Linux can too. Fuck C, and fuck the neckbeards who still use it.

https://isocpp.org/

http://www.stroustrup.com/
>>
>>54264937
Enjoy Bjarne's dick.

I'll continue to use both when appropriate without making verbose shitposts on the internet and without the taste of Scandinavian jizz in my mouth.

Bye.
>>
>>54264937
>wanting to suck any geeks dick
You must really like stinky cheese

But also regardless of if this is bait or not, language wars need to stop.
>>
>>54264955
Fuck you C-cuck. Enjoy writing millions of lines of kernel code without OO in 2016.

>>54264972
>language wars need to stop.

Pajeet, my son, we all know you want this to happen so you can call yourself a Java "developer".
>>
>>54264986
I want it to stop so we can change the perspective of intro level shit. I see way too many people asking what language to start with and it fosters indecision amongst newcomers.

But you're obviously a troll so peace
>>
>>54264986
I use C for learning purposes. That is all. If that makes me a C-cuck, then I'm rather bemused, you indignant fellow.

I challenge you to a slap fight.
>>
>>54265023
Learn C++ instead. It teaches you everything that C does, and it's actually useful.
>>
>>54264937
>C is [...] used by cavemen.
So is C++. People complain about gcc dropping null checks for "this" (starting with gcc 6) instead of learning to use "static".

>but that only affects idiots/hobbyists
It breaks Qt and Chromium, among others
>>
>>54265087
gcc 6 was just released, and what the fuck does this have to do with C being an unsafe dumpster fire of a language?
>>
>>54265038
I'm learning C first because it's smaller, simpler and it introduces me to a huge bunch of syntax that'll feed into most modern languages.

Then I'll learn OO as a concept on top of that, then I'll know C++, Java and C# fresh out of the box within no time.
>>
>>54265166
You misunderstand. C's features are contained within C++, so you can just skip C. You don't even have to learn OO at first.
>>
>>54265134
How the fuck is C++ a safe language? What the fuck do you think most core Windows applications were made in?
>>
>>54265217
>How the fuck is C++ a safe language?

Smart pointers.

>>54265217
>What the fuck do you think most core Windows applications were made in?
C++
>>
>>54265245
Have you ever heard of buffer and stack overflows? Guess not.

Precisely, most Windows applications were made in C++ and they're not free from these issues.
>>
>>54265203
Yeah, but I won't understand why those features were sustained unless I learn pure C first. C++ abstracts a lot.

I'm going to learn C++ eventually, but C is relatively small and straightforward, so I'm going with that as a first language. Teaches discipline and good habits too, like intensive error checking and failsafes.
>>
File: you_are_this_gay.jpg (61 KB, 589x441) Image search: [Google]
you_are_this_gay.jpg
61 KB, 589x441
>>54265270
>>54265277
>>
>>54265134
>gcc 6 was just released
Calling (non-static) functions on a null object has always resulted in undefined behavior. The release of gcc 6 just recently made the problem visible, that doesn't mean the problem is new.

>and what the fuck does this have to do with C being an unsafe dumpster fire of a language?
My point is that C++ is also used by cavemen, as stated im my other post.
>>
>>54264937
>The entire Linux kernel should be rewritten in C++.
My knowledge about programming is quite basic, but isn't a program made in C compilable in C++ anyway? If so, it's just a matter of refactoring stuff to use C++ resources.
>>
>>54265294
If you put this much thought into how you feel about programming languages, you're pretty sad.
>>
>>54264937
C++ is awesome, but Lisp is better.
>>
>>54265325
it would attract C++ devs to Linux kernel development, something that Linus has said he doesn't want to happen.
>>
>>54265325
C++ can use C, but C can't use C++.
>>
>>54265325
>but isn't a program made in C compilable in C++ anyway?
That hasn't been true for a very long time.
>>
>>54264937
Will I go bald if I learn C++?
>>
>>54265398
my hairline receded by an inch just from reading Accelerated C++
>>
>>54265357
I'm wondering why he would say that.
Do you have the source?

>>54265377
Are there huge changes to be made in code to make it compilable in C++?

I'm asking that because, if C++ is better than C even by just a little bit, then it's convenient to make the shift as long as the dev time required isn't large.
>>
Java/C# are closer than ever to C++ in terms of performance with a fraction of the complexity and far more safety, security and portability. And even though as hardware advances memory usage and speed get less important, all of them still lag far behind C in raw performance. The niche C++ still holds as a middleground is being slowly filled by newcomers go and rust. It won't ever be completely replaced, but the heyday of C++ is certainly over.
>>
it baffles me why languages like Ada and Delphi are dead and this mess of a language is still going strong
>>
Is it just me or is C an easier language to learn for a beginner? The syntax at least is easier to learn.
>>
>>54265421
>all of them still lag far behind C in raw performance.

Lie told to yourself by a C-cuck.

Rust is a meme.

C++ is experiencing a renaissance because of mobile you retard. You know nothing.
>>
>>54265418
>Are there huge changes to be made in code to make it compilable in C++?
C++fags don't seem to realise that there are actually a fuckload of little semantic differences between the languages, and C99/C11 added lots of C-only features.
>if C++ is better than C even by just a little bit
It's not.
>>
>>54265481
c++ is not used on any mobile platform.

android uses java and iOS uses obj-c.

and no one cares what windows phone uses because it's dead.
>>
>>54265481
I would point you to literally any benchmark comparison of C vs C++ but I really can't be bothered.

And no, C++ is not the standard language for any mobile developers.
>>
>>54265519
>c++ is not used on any mobile platform.

Holy shit you are retarded. Tons of mobile apps are written in C++, and C++ mobile devs get paid the most. C++ apps run faster than anything else on Android and iOS, which is why it is used.
>>
>>54265535
I didn't say it was the standard, you faggot. It's used when performance is needed, like in 3D games.
>>
>>54265536
yea it's used so much that i cant recall a single app for android that i have downloaded written in c++...
>>
>>54265565
>muh anecdote
>>
>>54265418
>source
http://lwn.net/Articles/249460/
>In other words: the choice of C is the only sane choice. I know Miles
Bader jokingly said "to piss you off", but it's actually true. I've come
to the conclusion that any programmer that would prefer the project to be
in C++ over C is likely a programmer that I really *would* prefer to piss
off, so that he doesn't come and screw up any project I'm involved with.
>>
>>54265548
A niche market isn't a technological renaissance.
>>
>>54265277
You're admitting that you don't know what you're talking about, but saying it as if you do know what you're talking about. Do you have a problem with people giving you good advice anon?
>>
Everything should be written in C++. Programming is so shit because there are so many different languages and other tools doing the same things when really you only need one. We should do away with all other languages and expand C++ as needed.
>>
File: 1446332888264.png (711 KB, 1600x2162) Image search: [Google]
1446332888264.png
711 KB, 1600x2162
>>54265933
>people actually have this mentality
>>
>>54265519
>c++ is not used on any mobile platform.
BlackBerry OS 10
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.