[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sqt/ - Stupid Question Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 51
/sqt/ - Stupid Question Thread
Previous edition : >>54247329

Post all your smart questions here
If you have a stupid question search before posting (google, ddg, ixquick)

linux thread >>>/g/flt/
Programming thread >>>/g/dpt/
Web dev thread >>>/g/wdg/
>>
All Linux stupid questions should be posted on the linux thread?
>>
If I don't have a deep fryer, but I don't want to shallow fry in a pan, can I use a wok and a ton of oil?
>>
>>54262437
I guess both threads are okay, but you'll have a faster or better answer on the /flt/ if I had to guess.
>>
Will Interpol knock on my door if I save links for torrent trackers in my Dropbox?
>>
>>54262489
My experience is not getting answers there, but I will try anyways.
>>
>>54262501
no
>>54262467
It won't be exactly the same but it should be okay.
>>
>>54262501
Interpol? No.
But the federal police of your country, maybe.
>>
>>54262531
ask on both
>>
>>54262378
>calling "linux thread"
>linking to "flt"
>excuse me, but what you are calling "linux", is actually gnu+linux...
>>
>>54262560
If it was to be used this way, so there would be no purpose in having two separate threads!
>>
How can I stop Windows 10 system sounds unmuting itself?

Playback settings > Communication is set to "Do nothing".
>>
Is Ada Lovelace more famous than Charles Babbage?

It seems like he did a lot more than her but she is lionized for doing one thing.
>>
What's the biggest challenge when creating robot waifu? software or hardware?
>>
File: 1461762654597.png (79 KB, 1911x256) Image search: [Google]
1461762654597.png
79 KB, 1911x256
Help! Trying to locate VLC.

Win C: Drive doesn't say it's in there and it's saying it doesn't exist??
>>
File: 1391076030134.gif (1 MB, 257x193) Image search: [Google]
1391076030134.gif
1 MB, 257x193
Are password managers, online or otherwise, the right solution for locking up logins that are shared by all staff in a small office?
>>
Which cities should I visit? Are there any better than Madrid?
>>
What's the absolute quickest way to share files between my PC and my Android phone wirelessly? I usually just send stuff to my own email then download them from the other device, but it's a bit of a hassle. Is there something more... direct? Other than Bluetooth, that is.
>>
>>54262785
Both of them are currently nowhere near good enough.
>>
Is Spideroak still the best cloud service?
>>
>>54262378
Ayy. What's a good Windows utility to test the capacity of drive to make sure its not a fake?
>>
Alright lads.

I just finished building my first computer about two weeks ago and I'm having some issues with the wireless connection. I have internet, I'm posting from said computer. However, it's very inconsistent and playing games online is un-doable. I have been able to play online with other computers from this exact spot before.

Something that is very strange to me, is when I check my connection from my laptop, it fluctuates from 29-40 mbps. When I check from my built desktop, is stays at a constant, exact 144.4 mbps. The strange thing about this is the fact that the internet we currently have, is 50 meg internet.

My friend said something about me potentially having three separate connections at once, thus the drops in connection and the unrealistic speed reading.

My wireless adapter is a TP Link WDN4800. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>54262876
dropbox
>>
>>54262799
Install MPV.
>>
Best app to listen to podcasts on/offline?
Google Music is cool but doesn't have all the podcasts I'd like to listen to.
I'm using a Nexus 5x.
>>
File: _DSC0003.jpg (179 KB, 917x1000) Image search: [Google]
_DSC0003.jpg
179 KB, 917x1000
My new tablet has a micro crack in its screen. I've never dropped it, so I assume it's from too much pressure. Am I screwed?
>>
File: Corne.jpg (113 KB, 1000x1507) Image search: [Google]
Corne.jpg
113 KB, 1000x1507
Alright my chilly niggas. I'm quite a noob, so bear with me.

I'm coding OPENGL 3 code on Visual Studio, and I can't use it's debug feature because my program needs to be executed in the GPU since the integrated graphics card isn't compatible with OPENGL 3. How do I make it so my code is defaulted to the GPU?

On an unrelated note, what is a good IDE to work on Linux? Helps if it's easy to use. I've been using gedit for a while, but I'm starting to find it rather annoying.

Anyway, thanks for reeading my post. Have a nice day.

PS: Couldn't find a good picture, so enjoy this corn.
>>
>>54263499
How new?
If its hours new blame it on shipping/factory and RMA it.

Otherwise, why you didnt bought a protector.
How did you fuck up that badly to leave a scratch like that?
>>
>>54263528
I got it like a week ago and the worst I've done to it is keep it between two flat books in a backpack, thinking it wouldn't apply too much pressure to one spot, but it must have slid around
>>
File: 1457585326157 (1).jpg (79 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1457585326157 (1).jpg
79 KB, 640x640
what are some extremely small gaymen mice that /g/ would recommend? The specs I want are under 5 inches in length and around 4 inches in width. I can't find shit.
>>
I'm shopping for a cable modem because fuck comcast (also fuck the fact that they have a fucking gangland turf set up here in san jose but whatever im planning to move somewhere covered by paxio in the near future.)

now, i'm looking at netgear's modems and there's three different kinds, with a different number of channels. thing is, they range from ~350 Mbps to ~950 Mbps based on the how many channels they have.

if comcast's service plans here only goes up to 250mbps, what's the point of getting anything higher than netgear's lowest router? presumably there isnt some miscalculation that i'm having here?
>>
How do I test linux driver issues using a virtual box? Since the host usually sets it up automatically, which is my concern
>>
>>54262884
I better start a kickstarter then
>>
I just turned my computer on booted in Linux Mint and when I type my password a terminal windows pops up for like 3 seconds then disappears and goes back to the log in page.
Could someone tell me why?

Video related
https://youtu.be/nSYeRHnYHP0
>>
>>54262378
Where can I find clean downloads of Windows 7 legit? I have keys, but no disc.
>>
File: Chop Job.jpg (130 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Chop Job.jpg
130 KB, 1366x768
I'm trying to make my linux look similar to Mac OS for the retro aesthetic. I have no intention of going full emulation but as it is i quite like my setup.

However i'm having problems with the fonts.
In Mac OS menus and apps used two fonts. However Linux seems to only use one typeface, for both user elements like buttons, which should look thick, and general text. I can either use a Mac font and give everything that chunky look for buttons (good) and content (bad), or use a thinner font and remove that Mac look on everything.

Is there any way to make it look like my pic related comparison? Should i use a different DE? i'll attach the current setup as well.
>>
>>54264589
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=win+7+legit+dl
>>
>>54264605
A screenshot of the current setup, where the text i want uses Chicago, but so does everything else.
>>
>>54264605
old macos didnt have this look
>>
File: macos9folders.png (23 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
macos9folders.png
23 KB, 800x600
>>54264639
What exactly do you mean
>>
>>54263101

bls respond
>>
File: fonts.jpg (22 KB, 1112x212) Image search: [Google]
fonts.jpg
22 KB, 1112x212
Am I looking at different fonts or is Windows' font rendering complete and total shit? For what it's worth, the font in Debian is called "Monospace" and not "DejaVu Sans Mono", but I can't find "Monospace" anywhere I look on the internet.

Why is Debian 7.8's terminal so pretty while Windows' command prompt is so ugly?
>>
>>54263101
You get 144mpbs from a speed test?

It may just be a shitty wifi adapter.
Also, check your internet connections in windows and disable the ones you don't use? I'm throwing shit at the wall here, sorry.
>>
>>54264715
Monospace is the generic name that your sytem uses for the current monospace font, i believe

And yeah, that's the same font with different rendering. By default window's rendering is shit.
Try installing a program like MacType to change the font rendering.
>>
>>54262378
It's 2016 but still only a handful of programs make use (noticeable improvement in performance) of multicore architectures that are being favored over everything. Why?
>>
File: cleatype.png (35 KB, 1119x241) Image search: [Google]
cleatype.png
35 KB, 1119x241
>>54264715
>>54264776

Turns out I had Window's ClearType Text on, which was making fonts look super thick. I turned it off and it looked closer to Debian's.

On the other hand, the font here on 4chan now looks super sharp and is kinda hurting my eyes.
>>
>>54264873
Again, try out Mactype.
>>
File: cyclone.png (5 KB, 582x291) Image search: [Google]
cyclone.png
5 KB, 582x291
>>54264625
>>54264605
TL;DR I want it to look more like

>>54264666
and pic related, fontwise.
I've swapped the font for Charcoal instead of Chicago, as it looks more authentic.
>>
Does someone has a cheap APU build?
Im looking for something like http://pcpartpicker.com/p/TGJDbv
Can I make it better?
>>
I'm an experienced web developer and have access to the following virtual resources:
- 28 CPU cores
- 26GB RAM
- 330 GB storage

What can I build to generate passive income?
>>
My phones recovery menu is fucked and it's stuck in a boot loop but refuses to not start in recovery mode, which is causing the loop
What do
>>
>>54265241
ahahahahahahahaahha
>>
>>54265264
Fuck you too buddy
>>
>>54265275
AHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHA
>>
how the fuck do i disable "COM Surrogate" so i can delete properties from images before uploading with windows 10
>>
>>54265199
A Patreon Page
>>
Can a Corsair SF 600W run a i5-6600 and 980ti without problem??
>>
I HATE CHROME
I HATE FIREFOX AUSTRALIS

IS THERE A NON-SHIT BROWSER THAT USES GTK STYLING HOLY FUCK
>>
>>54263037
Just wipe the partiton map.
diskpart.exe
list disk
select disk X
clean
exit
mmc.exe diskmgmt.msc
>>
>>54264966
Chicago was used in System 7 and earlier.
Charcoal was Mac OS 8 and 9.
>>
>>54265305
>>
>>54265335
should be fine
>>
Would be there any benefit of adding a SSD to a laptop with SATA1?
>>
Hey so I'm planning upgrading a component on my
PC but I'm not sure which.

Here are my specs:

Here are the specs.:

Case:
Cooler Master HAF 912

Graphics Cards:
GTX 960 strix

Processor:
AMD Phenom II

RAM:
Kingston 8GB 1600MHz

Power source:
Corsair x600

Mouse and Keyboard:
Cooler Master: Devastator Combo

What do you gusy think?
>>
Okay, I'm at a dilemma.
I'm using windows 7 and blocked windows 10 shit from appearing on my computer. The only reason why I am still continuing to use windows is because I am a gamer and a fair chunk of my games are still not linux compatible. I am planning on doing a dual boot system with a distro for my main shit and windows for gaming
I would like to have all of my files encrypted as well as having a flexible distro. I am comfortable using arch to an extent but I'm still new to linux

I have a 120gb SSD an a 2tb HDD and another 2tb HDD to backup to so i do not know how to set up my system.

Soo what I'm looking for is a distro to use for my main pc and an answer to how my partitions should be set up, linux and windows programs on HDD and windows boot on ssd or something else??
>>
>>54265493
>kek
Corsair PSU
>kek
>>
>>54265472
You'd still get massively lower seek/random read/write times and somewhat faster sequential read/write speeds than any mechanical drive.
>>
>>54265472

It would be lighter and reduce some heat
Not worth imo
>>
does git work by storing copies of the files for each commit? if so doesn't this use up a lot of memory?

also how do I view the contents of files of previous commits?
>>
>>54265381
sweet, what do you know about the original question tho
>>
anyone know of any online phone #'s that work with tinder?

my account got banned for being a dick to people, so i cant use my phone number to activate a new account. i tried google voice and all the easy google ones and none of them worked
>>
I run four SATA drives off a 120gb SSD with TRIM enabled.

Is the TRIM shit worth bothering with at all?
>>
>>54265678
Do you mean you have a 120GB SATA drive broken up into 4 partitions?
>>
File: Untitled.png (60 KB, 1152x648) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
60 KB, 1152x648
Pic related Its what I got, gonna upgrade to this
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BqN4FT
Any other changes I should do?
Used for gaming at 1080p/60hz (AAA titles) and streaming at twitch
>>
>>54265701
Forgot to say
Gonna buy a gtx 1080 or a 980 if the price drop considerably
>>
File: image.png (7 KB, 489x89) Image search: [Google]
image.png
7 KB, 489x89
>>54265694
Not quite.
>>
>>54265736
Okay, so you have 1 SSD and 5 HDDs. Does the SSD have one partition on it? Post screenshot from diskmgmt.msc if you don't know what I'm asking.
>>
>>54265241
pray it's under warranty and take it back in
>>
File: Untitled.png (4 KB, 545x103) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
4 KB, 545x103
>>54265736
>>
>>54265781
Which SSD is it, Hyper X series?
>>
>>54265781
You're not doing anything special with your SSD. Leave TRIM on.
>>
How do I recover data off of a broken Galaxy S4? The MTP Driver is clearly broken and neither Windows nor my new phone will recognize the old thing as a device with removable storage.
>>
>>54265807
Hyper X 3k yeah.
>>54265813
It basically runs Windows. It has yet to give me any shit. I just wonder about the longevity from time to time.
>>
>>54265046
b-bump
>>
>>54265777
9 days to spare
>>
>>54265845
>longevity
That's what TRIM helps with. Turn it on.

Use gsmartcontrol to check SMART parameters. Or use any one of those SSD health utilities (if the drive manufacturer has one, start with that).
>>
>>54265896
I'll give the gsmartcontrol a go. Thanks for the input.
>>
File: 1389057847187.jpg (61 KB, 519x600) Image search: [Google]
1389057847187.jpg
61 KB, 519x600
>>54265861
I've been in this exact situation,
>realized my phone was warped from nearly 2 years of sitting on it in my back pocket
>backed up all my stuff, bricked it intentionally
>returned bricked phone 3 days from warranty expiration
>mfw the poor girl spent 10 minutes replacing the battery and trying to charge it
>>
File: Burro.jpg (89 KB, 640x346) Image search: [Google]
Burro.jpg
89 KB, 640x346
The Sony 60" TV KDL-60EX725 has a maximum resolution of 1920x1080.

My Samsung 23" LS24E310HL monitor has the same maximum resolution.

That means that in Sony's TV I'll have the same workspace but with bigger icons and windows?
>>
File: Calibre_logo_2.png (394 KB, 554x499) Image search: [Google]
Calibre_logo_2.png
394 KB, 554x499
On calibre, the page count is fucked. It says:
>1,0
>2,0
>2,0
>3,0
>4,6
>6,2
>7,7
>9,3
and so on. What the fuck???
>>
do phones have mechanical shutter focuses?

i have an iphone 5 and recently its been making a mechanical shutter sound whenever i take pictures, but i cant figure out what the fuck its coming from. ill upload a video to youtube when i get home

if you have a dslr or any kind of high(er) end camera you know what i mean when i say shutter sound, thats exactly what it sounds like
>>
Why does this bitch-ass webpage suck up all my CPU and memory, even though I have plugins disabled?

http://www.brainjet.com/random/29310/23-of-the-funniest-notes-ever-written-to-thieves
>>
File: avisynth-logo-gears.png (15 KB, 300x156) Image search: [Google]
avisynth-logo-gears.png
15 KB, 300x156
Does anyone have this? The link from the Avisynth page is down and I can't find it anywhere else.

http://avisynth.org.ru/despot/despot.html
>>
>>54265472
>SATA1
Jesus Christ, how horrifying!
>>
File: Untitled.png (38 KB, 986x708) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
38 KB, 986x708
Why can't I extend the partition with the free space?
>>
>>54266389
You should be able to but you may need to use a different program
>>
Do video cards store any color/gamma settings on nonvolatile memory?
>>
I end up saving a lot of pictures and my autism forces me to save them as .png, is there a way to make firefox automatically save all pictures as a .png when I just drag and drop it into a folder to save it, even if it's not a png?
>>
>>54266558
literal ocd
>>
>>54266588
If it is OCD, this is the only sign.
>>
>>54266558
You're not gaining quality by converting a lossy jpeg to png. The loss has already occurred and cannot be reversed. Just stop doing it.
>>
Is the android app cleanmaster a meme?
>>
>>54266652
Yes
>>
>>54266389
Reformat that partition to NTFS.
>>
>>54266294
Wrks fine on my phone
>>
Is "alt" a valid attribute for the "a" (link) element?
>>
reposting question from the web dev general.

stupid question. So I'm building a website for the first time (just testing, seeing how it works and shit).

Do I have have a domain name for it to be available to other people? Or can I just type in the IP address for the server I set up?

This sounds stupid typing it out but I just wanted to double check. I know I can just do tests through localhost and what not but I want it to actually go online, just to say I put a website up.
>>
i was just watching a japanese cartoon and in the cartoon one of the characters filled the room with flour and then turned on a partially broken light and it blew up the room

is that a real thing or nah?
>>
>>54267318
On farms and stuff where there is a lot of grain, the dust can be very flammable and in a concentrated area have been known to explode and burn down farm buildings.

Im not sure flour is the same way though
>>
Is there anything similar to the Pi with VGA port instead of HDMI? And also audio jack ofc
>>
>>54265530
From what i know it only stores the changes. So if you change one line and commit that change it only stores that one line change.

So git stores the original file, then after that it stores every change and it knows how to apply those changes or rollback those changes when you checkout older commits from the git log.

To go back to an earlier commit you just need to run $ git log and then find the commit you want to go back to find it's checksum id and then run $ git checkout <the-checksum-id>
The checksum will be a long string of numbers and letters and stuff
>>
You can just enter the IP in the browser. However usually your IP changes every now and then.
>>
>>54267355
Don't think there are any
Your best bet is probably something like this
http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Active-Adapter-Support/dp/B008O7RH5C
>>
>>54267318
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dust_explosion
>>
>>54267318
What show what that? episode?
>>
On Xubuntu, how do I control what runs at startup? There is "Session and Startup" but it doesn't seem to include everything. Is there any command or a file I can edit?
>>
>>54267446
that sucks a lot
thanks
>>
>>54267301
figured it out. Had to forward port 80 for it to work. Made my first shitty website. cool.
>>
I needed to scrub my name on the net as I'm becoming a big boy. There wasn't much bad stuff, but there was 1 page that is slightly embarrassing.

I have fully deleted it but its still #5 googling my name, and you can view their cached version even tho clicking the link normally goes nowhere.

How do I remove this page from Google results? Since it doesn't exist anymore will it just go away in time? Would like it gone asap.
>>
I bought a really cheap HDMI cable, it says its 2.0 with 4k and ethernet.

It should work perfectly fine where older HDMI cables work right?
>>
>>54267497
You can add noise to push it down the list of results. My email address brings up a bunch of BOINC stats from a decade ago..
>>
>>54267497
https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/removals

>>54267498
Yes its backwards compatible
>>
What music player should I use?
>>
I stream movies etc from my PC to my 4k tv through the plex app,everything running through LAN connection but 4k videos and higher bitrate 1080p movies are having trouble streaming without stopping every ten seconds... i think my connection should be good enough, but maybe it's not... any settings I can change to prevent this? I could change the bandwidth setting but don't want to compromise quality
>>
>>54267663
Is everything running through gigabit?
>>
>>54267671
no idea what that is...
>>
>>54267678
How is everything connected? Wifi? Is everything running through Ethernet cables connected to your router? What model router do you have?
>>
>>54267710
i said im running everything through a LAN connection, all ethernet
>>
>>54267710
router is a lynksys ac2400
>>
How noticeable is 1080p vs 720p on a 24in monitor?
Will I be missing out by running my 1080 monitor at 720 from my cable box?
>>
>>54267737
The router you have has gigabit ethernet, so the problem shouldn't be the network speed. Beyond that I don't really have any experience with plex to troubleshoot it.

>>54267782
Depends on how far away you view it.
>>
>>54267782
not much difference, slightly less detail on a 24 in moniter, youll be seeing a little under a million pixels vs a little over 2 million pixels
>>
>>54267808
what do you think is an acceptable bitrate limit for videos... 5mb/second?
>>
>>54267825
I would say at least double that for 1080p/4k
>>
File: Purple_dragon_book_b.jpg (41 KB, 325x492) Image search: [Google]
Purple_dragon_book_b.jpg
41 KB, 325x492
how beneficial would reading a book on Compilers (ie. purple dragon book) be for programming?
>>
Is it completely safe to run viruses and malware on a virtualbox VM?
>>
>>54267860
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128651&AID=10657534&PID=3938566&SID=&nm_mc=AFC-C8JunctionCA&cm_mmc=AFC-C8JunctionCA-_-na-_-na-_-na&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_source=afc-%zn
>>
>>54268050
how do i reinstall windows 10
>>
>>54268028
for programming compilers sure.
>>
>>54268028
it's a great book and you'll get some insight on how stuff works
theres a reason every CS student has to read it.
>>
I'm using a Hyper 212 Evo to cool my CPU. It works fine at stock but OC'd the temps just get too high, reaching up towards 80 when I'm playing a game.

What cooler do you recommend I upgrade to without breaking the bank? My case is a Rosewill Challenger and it can't fit a 240mm radiator.
>>
Does OBS have that feature where its always recording and you can choose to save a highlight any time by pressing a button?

Can it edit clips?
>>
I disable an android app, and it turns itself back on.
Is this what they mean by "app may misbehave"
>>
How much processing speed and vram is needed for occulus rift? i have a pretty decent gaming rig, but might need to upgrade when i eventually get one

is it easy to transfer an OS to a ssd but keep most of my programs etc on the original hd?
>>
>>54268091
Yes

No it doesn't do editing
>>
>>54268028
>The dragon book
>beneficial for programming
You see that cover? You see how the programmer is literally fighting the complexity dragon?

Yeah, that book is not for people not implementing compilers.

On the other hand, if you want to know what goes on in a compiler, I'd recommend "Modern Compiler Implementation" in either C or Java (whatever you're more comfortable with)

It skips a lot of the abstractions that you don't need to know and dives deep into what goes on.
>>
What's a good, reputable brand of phone battery? I want a replacement for my LG G3 and LG are out of stock on their website.

>>54268090
Something Be Quiet!, maybe a Dark Rock Pro 3

>>54268045
No actually, depending on how you have it set up.
Protip: do not use bridged networks
>>
>>54268102
The recommended minimum is a GTX 970

Fairly straightforward, many SSDs come with a utility to do it as well
>>
>>54268132
nice i have a 980
>>
>>54268115
I guess it should be fine with disabled network?
>>
>>54268195
Yep.
I've done it before with a Windows XP VM.
>>
I can't really understand that skylake only supporting new Windows only.

What are the actual issues of running win8.1 with dualboot to XP(yeah, I need it and not in VM) on skylake?
>>
>>54268237
Well with XP, it doesn't matter because XP doesn't get any updates at all.
And with Windows 8.1, you'll only be getting security updates instead of service packs and new features.
Not a big deal though because I very much doubt Microsoft will be pushing any new features of OSs that aren't 10
>>
>>54268237
Its just some new power saving feature that is windows 10 only, it works like any other processor for anything else.
>>
>>54268258
>>54268263
Thanks. These aren't things that matter to me so I'll be fine
>>
Is there a faster way to delete programs than manually clicking and waiting on all of them? I'm giving my old pc away.
>>
>>54268369
Unless you re-format the PC and do a fresh install of the OS, negatory
>>
>>54268369
you should dban all the drives.
http://www.dban.org/
>>
>>54268028
essential reading for every programmer. knowing how compilers work isn't optional. every monkey can learn how to write code, but knowing stuff like this makes you a programmer.
>>
File: file.png (4 KB, 361x143) Image search: [Google]
file.png
4 KB, 361x143
>open image using HoneyView
>see this
Is HoneyView part of the chink botnet now?
>>
>>54262773
Babbage is way more famous

but Lovelace does have the distinction of being the first programmer, and also of being the first woman programmer, which as you can guess is great fodder for certain ideologies
>>
>>54268583
This is the Korean alphabet
>>
>>54262876
Google Drive
>>
Is this the stupid questions thread
>>
File: Kernel-Power.png (5 KB, 623x183) Image search: [Google]
Kernel-Power.png
5 KB, 623x183
Okay I'm getting Kernel-Power errors all the fucking day now

Checked RAMs, Everything is fine.
Nothing is Overheating
PSU gives more then enough Power to everything

I have absolutely no idea what else could it be

Any idea?
>>
trying to sell my wii u. i have a NNID and just formatted. am i good to go or do i have to get rid of the nnid too? my faggot mii wouldnt let me delete it.
>>
>>54268962
ur fine
>>
My optic drive tray on my T420, just opened on it's own.
Should I be worried?
I'm running Debian with XFCE.
>>
I'm on version 1.8.3 of MXPlayer and need DTS support, does the 1.8.0.nightly custom codec detailed here http://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/mx-player/mx-player-custom-codec-dts-support-t2156254 work with it?
>>
>>54262378
Have and how many of you have been able to leverage your knowledge and technological skill into losing your virginity?
>>
Can I game on high quality with the following:
>Intel Core I7 6700 4 x 3.4GHz
>8GB DDR4 2133MHz
>NVidia Geforce GT 740 2GB
>Haven't decided the motherboard

Th-thanks
>>
>>54269583
define "game"

you won't get 60fps ultra on anything made past 2010 but you'll be able to get 60 on medium low on most anything
>>
Why does R&D for CPU/GPU architectures cost so much? I mean, isn't the R&D process just the already existing engineers with their current salaries building the new architectures?
>>
Does the Amazon Appstore require signing up bullshit?
If yes whats a good way to download apps from it without signing in? Im looking for pvstar+.
>>
File: gpus.png (8 KB, 529x121) Image search: [Google]
gpus.png
8 KB, 529x121
>>54269583
The GT 740 isn't even that much faster than the integrated graphics on that CPU
High quality is out of the question, you might be able to get a reasonable framerate on low for some games.
>>
are outlook express files at all compatible with new versions of outlook
>>
I'm a noob when it comes to stuff like this so sorry

is the R9 390 Nitro (with back plate?) good enough for 1080p gayming for the next few years?
Should I buy it now (240€), get something else or wait for this next gen polaris shit that everyone is waiting for?
>>
>>54269583
>$350 cpu
>$50 3 year old gpu
lol
>>
>>54269816
many people don't understand how significant the second digit is in graphics cards models
they assume "740" is better than say, "680", because it's a bigger (single) number
>>
>>54269815
It'll probably keep up for the next few years, but at this point you if your current setup is enough to tide you over for a few months you might as well wait for the next get to be released.
>>
>>54269834
not the guy who asked but what IS the significance of the numbers? Why is 680 better than 740?
>>
>>54262378
How do I set a custom resolution on my computer running windows 10?
It's a 2011 macbook pro with a dead gpu, but I can use it if I have the gpu disabled in windows. This means that I'm stuck at either 1024x768 or 1152x864, and I want to have the display set to 1440x900 (native resolution)
and no I can't take it to apple and have them fix it, they already said no.
>>
>>54269834
Also the GT vs GTX series
GT is budget tier, all but replaced by integrated graphics
GTX is performance tier, and will actually give reasonable performance for gaming
>>
>>54269852
because the 680 is a $500 gpu from 2012 and the 740 is a $100 gpu from 2013.
even in 2013 the 680 sold for at least 2 times the cost of ta 740.
It's just a much higher end gpu
>>
>>54269619
>>54269796
Thanks senpaitachi
>>
>>54269852
6 - generation, this defines things like what things it supports (dx/ogl version, shader model version, etc), power efficiency (newer generations can do equivalent work with less energy)
8 - model, this is what defines "low end" and "high end", with ~1-3 as low end, ~4-6 as mid-end, and ~7-9 as high-end
0 - sub-model, may be used to display a minor difference between two cards of the same "model"

the big thing to note is that the processing power of the cards overlap significantly from generation to generation, so not all "7XX" cards are faster than all "6XX" cards, each "model" should be faster than the same "model" of the previous generation, however
>>
>>54269947
also note, amd/ati does the same, and this also applies to 4-digit model numbers (with the last two being the "sub-model")
>>
>>54269884
>>54269947
>>54269953
thanks, I've always wondered and all the hack youtubers who tried to explain were not nearly this clear or concise
>>
Is there a mass image compress software for 4chin to make every image in a folder 3 mb or less?
>>
File: alksfadidhfglajdg.png (42 KB, 746x556) Image search: [Google]
alksfadidhfglajdg.png
42 KB, 746x556
What needs to be upgraded? Yesterday i was starting to play Dark Souls III and I've realised I can't play games anymore.
>>
File: a.png (30 KB, 1051x365) Image search: [Google]
a.png
30 KB, 1051x365
>>54269960
put together a chart comparing 6XX and 7XX models by passmark (benchmark) numbers
you can clearly see that a 740 is not even half the speed of a 680
and how they overlap
>>
>>54270156
I'd get a new GPU, maybe a GTX 960 or an R9 280X.
Also have you overclocked your CPU?
>>
File: subsonic-logo.png (40 KB, 506x305) Image search: [Google]
subsonic-logo.png
40 KB, 506x305
>>54262378
I installed subsonic on my windows server and setup everything, but now the songs get only displayed in the sidebar of the webpanel, not in the songs list nor in the app - the permissions are set to "everyone" and subsonic is clearly working with administration rights, although if I put the songs in a playlist, I can see the songs, how do I fix this?
>>
>>54268735
Battery issue
>>
I tried changing resolution on my monitor, and it started fucking up. In Device manager it is now seen as "Genric PnP Monitor". I tried restoring to an older time, but it is still the same. The monitor shows worse quality than before and it is annoying me.

Is there anything I can do? Will a full factory reset be the only solution?
>>
File: speccy.png (36 KB, 668x510) Image search: [Google]
speccy.png
36 KB, 668x510
I want to get me grubby hands on the Radeon Pro Duo, but my case can't fit the water cooling radiator. Is there a way I can hack it in with a 3rd party cooler?

I just want moar graphics right now ._.
>>
File: my cuckputer.jpg (88 KB, 1078x777) Image search: [Google]
my cuckputer.jpg
88 KB, 1078x777
How's this pc build?

>Total Price:
~1600 canadacuk dollarinos

>non k cpu
the non k cpu's have better virtualization support

>no ssd
Have one in my laptop, not worth the extra price for the few seconds saved. Opening chrome in 2 seconds as opposed to 5 seconds is not a big deal to me. Especially since windows seems to cache applications in memory afterwards anyways. So only the initial one is slow.
Plus I would rather have one big partition so all my stuff is in one place (Desktop, Music, Documents folders)

>gtx meme70
Placeholder for gtx 1070/equivalent amd Polaris gpu

>corsair 200r
Dont feel like spending more than I should on a case. Its just gonna be sitting in a corner anyways.
Also, unless you get some high end water cooling loop in it, the pc will look pretty meh inside anyways.

>dvd /blu ray reader/writer
Still own a bunch of dvds/blu rays, still buying them as well.
>>
Hey, I have a question for a project I'm looking to do. I have a younger sibling who has started expressing interest in computers and gaming. I'm not really confident enough to really give them a rig of their own yet due to their age and I rather give them something in a controlled environment. I was thinking of either making something with a raspberry pi, or picking up an Intel Stick.

tl;dr Want to make an emulation station/minecraft machine for a little kid that plugs into a TV.
>>
>>54270625
You could just get 2 Fury Xs for less
>>
>>54270665
where is the question if you already answered yourself in the tl;dr?
>>
File: guts.jpg (557 KB, 1922x1280) Image search: [Google]
guts.jpg
557 KB, 1922x1280
>>54270670
Won't fit in my case, unfortunately...
>>
>>54270701
the idea is to get a case that holds the components you want, not the other way around (buying parts to fit the case you want)
>>
>>54270700
Oh, fuck me, I guess I just had a brainfart. I was going to ask if anyone's done anything like this before and what are some recommendations? Cause I'm really open to just about doing anything, I was just curious if anyone's done something like this before.
>>
>>54270721
I really like the case :(
>>
>>54270727
probably the easiest way is a raspberry pi+emulation station+nintendo controller
>>
How shit are Mushkin ssd? $205 for 1tb 2.5"
>>
Does anyone here has fast internet?
If yes can you upload a Copy file(~3GB) to my Mega drive?
>>
>Get brought an old Dell desktop to whip in shape
>It's running pirated XP
>Tell the guy nonfree software is responsible for deaths of numerous starving would-be pizza orderers world wide, so I'm going to install Lubuntu on it
>ok
>As I'm writing Lubuntu image to the flash drive on my laptop, go into the desktop's BIOS and look around
>See an option labeled 'OS install mode'
>Well, that is what I'm about to do
>Set it to yes
>Plug in the freshly baked usb drive and reboot
>Everything about the installer is super slow
>Patiently waiting, I get as far as the partitioning menu, but there the install grinds to a halt
>Try Xubuntu
>There's got to be something wrong with the install, I've installed Lubuntu on machines like this before
>Try 14.04 instead of 16.04
>Try to live boot the USB to troubleshoot
>It grinds to a halt booting
>Forget about it
>Come back an hour later, it's booted
>free -h
>256 MB of RAM total, 126 MB of swap
>WTF I thought it had 2 GB
>lshw -c memory
>2 x 1GB sticks installed
>what the actual fuck?
>Search online, get threads of people being confused by the difference between GB and GiB
>Welp, the memory has to be faulty, so it's using only the good bits or something
>Take out the USB drive, reboot
>WARNING: OS Install mode enabled. Available memory limited to 256MB
AAAAAARGH! WHY WOULD THAT BE AN OPTION? WHAT IS THE POINT OF THAT?
>>
>>54270935
That's basically what I was thinking as well to be honest. It most likely is the cheapest option as well. Might set them up with some neat shit like Doom too since I'm sure it can be ran on there. Want to get Minecraft on there but from what I understand that shouldn't be an issue. They really love creative building games so I might get something like SimCity on there as well.

I guess that kind of settles it, I'm off to order some Pis and pieces for a case we're going to build together.
>>
>>54270992
wish you good luck anon
>>
File: qtass.jpg (130 KB, 699x1024) Image search: [Google]
qtass.jpg
130 KB, 699x1024
What is Xamarin and how do use it for anything?
>>
I have 4790k right now and I was wondering how much better performance I could expect in autocad or archicad, if I upgraded to a x99 based cpu?
>>
>>54262378
I want to keep an e-diary or offline only blog, what software should I look into? on arch btw
>>
>>54262705
Anyone?
>>
>>54271069
Find the folder where the sound files exist,then delete them all.
>>
>>54270966
On 50Mb/s up bruh
Hit me
>>
>>54271171
50 MB/s or 50 mbps
>>
>>54271051
Neither are particularly well multithreaded, performance gains would be marginal
>>
>>54271183
he pretty clearly said Mb/s, it only has one meaning
>>
I'm looking to buy a 2 in 1 laptop that have decent stylus (I will be using it mainly for drawing and digital art). Are there any out there with good digitizers (except for the MS surface line because they are so bloody expensive)
>>
>>54271212
These bitrate conventions always confuse me.
Nevertheless, thanks for confirming.
>>
>>54271171
So how do I do this?Should I send you email address?
Will you upload now or later?
>>
>>54271058
A regular fucking text editor? Not quite sure what functionality you're looking for beyond that...
>>
>>54271218
only ones worth buying are thinkpads (x220t) or one from the MS line
>>
>>54271092

>I'm sorry Dave, I can't let you do that.
>>
>>54271301
Do this after booting into linux or use a live cd
>>
File: Capture.png (38 KB, 559x345) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
38 KB, 559x345
>>54271285
God it's pricey... And the resolution isn't that great for the price either
>>
>>54271366
You don't buy them new.
>>
Just a quick stupid question. I want to buy a universal laptop docking station for my chromebook for VGA, USB and ethernet. I presume I can just plug it in and it will just work? dont have to mess around with compatibility or drivers etc?
>>
>>54271366

Use ebay, that shit's overpriced.
>>
How do I make a bootable ISO of lo/g/os on Linux?
>>
Think i need to replace my motherboard, but i dont want to replace my CPU, how easy is it to transfer a CPU between motherboards? Do i need to buy thermal paste?
help
>>
>>54271366
use ebay
>>
Whats the difference between Opera, Vivaldi and Chromium?
>>
>>54271468
Well the socket should match.
You will have to reinstall windows thats for sure.
Yes you need thermal paste.
>>
>>54271468

You would need a motherboard with the same cpu socket as your current motherboard. If you tell us your cpu we could help you out. Yes you would need new thermalpaste for when you remove the heatsink.
>>
>>54271420
>>54271443
The thing is that I live somewhere in SE Asia, where shipping can be a bitch to handle (I have to use a freight forwarding service sometimes). So by any chance I get a faulty product it's not gonna be fun shipping it back.

Also, does anyone know what laptop supports Wacom Intuos stylus?
>>
>>54271517
you won't get a faulty product of ebay, just look at the grading and sellers rating
>>
I have 2 HDTV's that I am trying to connect to my PC. Using the same cable, the first one looks really great, but when I put it in the other HDTV it look really weird. Same Cable, I changed the settings. What gives?
>>
>>54271728
faulty cable, replace it
>>
>>54271841
As I said, it works fine on the other TV, just not this one.
>>
I have a confusing issue with my gpu. It worked well up until I removed a USB.. I might have touched the back of it but now it doesn't display a signal anymore. I've tried reseating it and using both HDMI and dvi cords. It's not the slot itself that's an issue and I think the motherboard is fine since I swapped back to my old 560 ti and everything worked just fine. Any advice?
>>
>>54271847
TVs hdmi port is faulty then, you could buy a broken model of your TV and replace it or you can just get a new tv
>>
>>54271728
Define "weird"
>>
Is there a significant cooling boost for switching to Noctua?

The fan on my Hyper Evo is starting to click and its driving me nuts. If I rip the thing off and replace it with a noctua, will it be better or about the same?
>>
File: Instagram-Screens[1].jpg (311 KB, 1200x690) Image search: [Google]
Instagram-Screens[1].jpg
311 KB, 1200x690
>>54271914
It looks like there is a permanent Instagram filter on it. Look at the picture. Let's say the third is what a normal TV picture would look like, mine looks more like the first with dark sharp edges. Also when scrolling, it looks like the text is melting.
>>
>>54271956
The cooling won't be much different but it should be quieter.
>>
>>54271977
Might be something weird with the default color profiles
Melting text might be bad response time but it shouldn't be that extreme

Do you have another computer to try connecting them to?
>>
>>54272013
>Do you have another computer to try connecting them to?
Sadly not, but I might have found something. I looked through the manual and the HDTV support both 1080i and 1080p for the PC. I am currently using 1080i and it doesn't say how to change to 1080p, you think that might be it?
>>
>>54272059
Yeah interlacing would probably explain the melting text shit but not the colors.
>>
>>54271982
thanks, good to know
>>
To anyone who has used Scan.co.uk before: I recently returned a part that I bought as I realised it was the wrong part that I needed, so I've been going through the RMA/Returns process and I've just got an email saying that "a refund has been authorised for your returned goods". Does this mean that I'm going to get a proper refund, or credit to use on Scan?
>>
>>54271498
i7-3770
friend told me
MSI B150M PRO-VD
https://www.pccasegear.com/products/35099/msi-b150m-pro-vd-motherboard
would be my best bet
>>
Which paid AV is better, Kaspersky or Norton?

Which free one is the best right now?

Thanks for reply, like always.
>>
>>54272210
I wouldn't listen to your friend for these things anymore, that motherboard is the wrong socket
You need LGA 1155 for the CPU
>>
>>54270321
you're sure you added the media folders correctly and created a user w/ permissions to see them?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 51

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.