[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
sup /g/ my nephew brought me a macbook that he wants me to factory
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6
File: turd.jpg (4 KB, 227x222) Image search: [Google]
turd.jpg
4 KB, 227x222
sup /g/
my nephew brought me a macbook that he wants me to factory reset.
I have no idea wtf I'm doing with a mac, and after a quick browse of some relevant forums, it sounds like it's going to be a massive pain in the ass.
I have no install disk, just the computer itself that he dropped off here. wat do?
>Pic related, it's the macbook
>>
>>54246630
Install Gentoo.
>>
>>54246630

Tell your nephew Jamal to return it, before someone reports it stolen.
>>
>>5424663
OP again
It doesn't really have to do anything but connect to the internets and run Minecraft.
And I want running it to be as simple as possible, I'm not sure if a linux distro is the right move
>>
Does he want the programs on it still? I know someone is going to recommend some prank like
sudo rm -rf /*

That'll just delete your hard drive; if you want to factory reset, go to the terminal and enter
sudo dd -if=/dev/urandom -of=/dev/sda

Best of luck!
>>
File: 1461680393252.gif (2 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1461680393252.gif
2 MB, 480x270
Install Windows.
>>
>>54246736
The programs on it currently, don't matter.
It was my sister's (his mom's) computer and he just wants it reset. I hesitate to use linux because it needs above-all to be noob-friendly. If it was a PC, it would be fixed already and I wouldn't even be here... but I know fuck-all about mac.
>>
>>54246771
the first step is to know that the operating system macs use is unix based.
>>
>>54246749
/thread
>>
>>54246630
>my nephew
>my sister's (his mom's) computer

So your wife's son?
>>
It should have come with an install disk. That way you can just zero and random out the drive and install OSX. I've never owned a Mac but even if there is a factory reset option that can get infected as well.
>>
What model? If it was made post 2011 press command + r on boot and do a network recovery, format the had beforehand
>>
File: 1348445995356.gif (290 KB, 320x450) Image search: [Google]
1348445995356.gif
290 KB, 320x450
>>54249065
this hold command+R on bootup or for some models its just R. it will then allow you to format the hard-disk and reinstall OSX from the internet automatically. A simple Google search will confirm this retards
>>
>>54246833
wut?
>>
Give it back Daquan.
>>
I have the same problem with a used Mac I bought. The guy died so his family sold his stuff but I can only run the guest account because nobody knows his password. A guy at the Apple store told me I would need to have the hard drive replaced to make it mine.
>>
>>54246655
this will actually work
>>
>>54249157
restore password from recovery partition
or connect the HD to other computer
>>
>>54249227
hold R or command R at boot time. Now you are in recovery mode, open up terminal and type in command to reset passwords. ("reset password") bam no password on account. Or just wipe drive right there and reinstall
>>
Give it back DayQuan.
>>
Give it back Solomon.
>>
>>54249078
This. It'll take forever if you don't have a good internet connection though
>>
>>54246630
I did the same to a MacBook. When you turn it on, you have to hold 2 keys, and wait a long time.

A quick Google search should answer your questions.
>>
Give it back Tyrone
>>
File: op.jpg (167 KB, 1342x654) Image search: [Google]
op.jpg
167 KB, 1342x654
>>
Give it back, Seba
>>
This works for me. I buy and resell stolen macs on Craigslist

https://youtu.be/nkyoZLtZNE0
>>
>>54249888

Trips of truth
>>
>>54246630

>I have no idea wtf I'm doing with a mac
>turd.jpg

/g/ as usual
>>
give it back jamal
>>
>>54246771
>If it was a PC, it would be fixed already

5 rupees have been deposited to your Paypal account.
>>
>>54246630
Return it tyrone.
>>
>>54246833
i don't think nephew means what you think it means
>>
>>54251503
I don't think sister means what you think it means.
>>
File: confused.gif (2 MB, 186x204) Image search: [Google]
confused.gif
2 MB, 186x204
>>54251522
>>
Give it back Brad
>>
>>54246630
POO
>>
download latest supported mac osx dmg, set up a usb installer and boot from usb, delete drive partitions make a new one and install.
>>
>>54246630
Give it back Xavier.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.