[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Explain this shit /g/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 9
Explain this shit /g/
>>
>>54244083
It means the world wants good semi smart workers, not geniuses that will end up becoming your competitor in 5 years
>>
>>54244083
Corporations grow large and prefer to rely on bureaucratic selection than on personal accessing. It's natural.
>>
>>54244140
this, you need to be JUST smart enough to do your task, and nothing more
>>
File: botnet.png (175 KB, 1078x961) Image search: [Google]
botnet.png
175 KB, 1078x961
Explain this
>>
>>54244083
max howell is a salty crybaby
>>
Why should a code monkey who would fail CS101 get a job at Google?

Anyone can learn how to code. It's really the easiest part of CS. Anyway, inverting a binary tree is fucking trivial.
>>
>>54244197
eh, nothing wrong with knowing what functionality is being used by your users
>>
>>54244083
My favorite part about this is that the guy thinks 90% of Google engineers use Homebrew.

The actual number is probably < 5%.
>>
>>54244197
Google just wants to learn how to properly program a UNIX-like operating system (hint: no java), so it's only logical that it tracks the (arguably) best one out there.
>>
>>54244270
>Google just wants to learn how to properly program a UNIX-like operating system (hint: no java)
There's plenty of Java at Google
>>
Great, I was about to install homebrew
>>
>>54244270
>>54244318
Yea a lot of Android uses Java but if I recall after Oracle threatened to sue them for them for making money off Java, Google said they're going to plan to move away from Java completely (to C#)
>>
reminder that moot works at google and didn't create shit
>>
>>54244347
you mean Go
>>
>>54244233
I'm pretty baffled that the guy couldn't invert a binary tree.
>>
>>54244347
Sauce:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oracle_America,_Inc._v._Google,_Inc.

A second trial is scheduled for May 9th, 2016, in which Oracle is seeking $8.8B in damages.[7]
>>
>>54244083
Homebrew is not some incredible feat of engineering, it is a program that any competent programmer could write fairly easily. It just had the right promotion and timing to become popular.
>>
>>54244083
The best codemonkey is still a codemonkey.

also see this >>54244391

Just because someone uses your software doesn't mean that they can't make it themselves. I bet any software developer at Google can make something like it (probably better) if that's their assigned full time job.
>>
>>54244233
>>54244371
I can't of the top of my head remember what inverting a binary tree means and my algorithm book is at my uni's library.

A binary tree is a graph where each node is either a leaf (no children) or a parent (2 at most children). Each node has only one parent except the root node.

Is this a trick question? I don't think you can invert trees

>>54244083
I always preferred macports, seemed more mature and wasn't shilled the way homebrew was shilled
>>
>>54244529
It's inverting left right.

data Tree a = Leaf a | Node (Tree a) (Tree a)

invert :: Tree a -> Tree a
invert Leaf x = Leaf x
invert Node l r = Node (invert r) (invert l)
>>
>>54244529
Thank you, I was starting to feel terrible for not remembering how to invert a binary tree. Sure it might be easy, but if I haven't done it in a while and especially under the pressure of an interview, I think I would fail miserably.
However it's true he should have expected algorithmic questions for a google interview
>>
>>54244258
I'd say that easily every one of Google's engineers who use a mac use homebrew, and if that's anywhere near the amount of people at Intel who use macs, then I'd say it's certainly at least 5%
>>
you are too dumb to understand

tl;dr technology a shit
>>
>>54244083
>Google: You're an excellent codemonkey, but we're looking for a programmer now so fuck off
there you have it
>>
>>54244625
1 google job pls
>>
>>54244637
>remembering
It's trivial to figure out
>>
>>54244237
"eh, nothing wrong with making some side cash" - anon about cryptolockers
>>
HE WORKS FOR APPLE NOW SO HE WON
>>
>>54244878
apple has excellent designers
>>
>>54244695
>inverting
>not mirroring

Maybe it's a language barrier but I feel that mirror the tree is a better term than invert

Surely if you asked the interviewer what does he mean and then you solved the problem on the whiteboard you would get the job?
>>
>>54244083
90% of google engineers use macs? nice?
>>
>>54244878
>>54244897

Apple may have 'excellent designers' but not enough programmers to skate where the puck is going to be. That's why new Apple isn't an innovation company but a trendy fashion company

>pic related
>>
Entirely optional.
>>
File: 1459770406305.jpg (130 KB, 1300x863) Image search: [Google]
1459770406305.jpg
130 KB, 1300x863
>>54244083
>he can't invert a binary tree
>>
File: MacPorts.png (9 KB, 183x70) Image search: [Google]
MacPorts.png
9 KB, 183x70
>>54244949
>analytics
>in a open source repository

Really?
This is disgusting!

Why don't you just use MacPorts?
It's tried and tested for years on FreeBSD and it's just werks, no configuration needed and you can move the /opt dir in another system and it still werks

Oh, and HomeBrew last time I checked was installing in /usr/local and was messing with your installed software. This sucks!
>>
>>54244083
Would this work? Javascript:
function invertTree(root){
if(root){
right=root.right;
root.right=invert(root.left);
root.left=invert(right);
}
return root;
}
>>
>>54245047
Macports is absurdly out of date, and Homebrew does not touch your installed software at all.
>>
>>54244347
I thought they were going to use OpenJDK
>>
>>54244083
Google is full of people with CS PhDs that can do complex algorithms on the whiteboard off the top of their head, so they expect all new hires to be able to do the same, even if it only loosely correlates with the position.

I got through 3 of the 4 rounds of interviews that Google does and answered all the question, but then I got tripped up by an obscure python question on interview #3. I was familiar with the broad strokes of what they were asking, but I couldn't remember the exact API off the top of my head. When you do this, you are coding live with them in what is essentially a Google doc, so you can't really look things up, so I gave pseudocode as best as I could. Well that wasn't good enough and it was basically over for me at that point. After that it was "Thanks for playing, do not pass go, do not collect $200, there is the door".

The API wasn't even listed on the job description or anything like that, it was just some question from left field that some random google engineer that was interviewing me came up with.
>>
>>54245047
How else are they supposed to make decisions if they don't have any data? Would you feel better if they were scrapping http logs? It would give them most of the same data and you'd have no idea.
>>
>>54245174
>The API wasn't even listed on the job description or anything like that, it was just some question from left field that some random google engineer that was interviewing me came up with.

This is scary!

But why? Knowing the API by heart is something a code monkey would do.
>>
File: 1459288532034.png (371 KB, 689x752) Image search: [Google]
1459288532034.png
371 KB, 689x752
>>54244625
>haskell
Spotted a faggot.
>>
>>54245201
What kind of decisions?

It's just source files. If it downloads and compiles it's all good.

If it doesn't I file a bug or I fix it and submit it a patch.

Why are they making things complicated?
And who is looking at the collected data and for what purpose?
>>
>>54245238
>But why? Knowing the API by heart is something a code monkey would do.
That's just the culture there and it gets reinforced every time they hire someone who matches it.

I'd wager that Google would hire someone with a bachelors, masters, and PhD in CS with no real experience, over a person who was doing real world coding during the same time period.
>>
>>54245099
This desu sempai. Although I wouldn't blame anybody for trying to get as far away from java as possible at the moment.

Sun was doing good things with java until Oracle stuck their nasty little fingers into the pie and fucked it up like they fuck up every single project they have ever touched and now they are trying to ruin arguably the only good use left for java.
>>
>>54244370
As a Go user
>plz no
I don't want Pajeet Prajeet Sanjeet Sanguptarahmanaji shitting up my language with even more useless packages
>>
>>54245174
I had roughly the same experience. Coding in a Google doc, had to resort to pseudo code, no go. I now work for another big company that doesn't tha be quite the hiring process Google does, but I now am 100% certain that at the time I was not qualified. I think I could get a lot further now. People I work with now used to work at Google, so I must have done something right.
>>
>>54245287
>What kind of decisions?
Not my project, so I'm just guessing here, but:
Which packages to focus on
Which OSX versions to focus on based on real usage
Where to deploy additional download capacity based on real usage
When to plan downtime based on usage
>>
>>54244083
it means he's a retard
>>
>>54244233
inverting a binary tree basically means changing > for <?
>>
>90% of Google engineers use OSX
What?
>>
"I'm entitled to a job because hmph!"
>>
>>54245616
Haven't you ever heard the saying "silicon valley is a sea of macbooks"?

related linke: http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/04/26/apple-by-itself-earns-40-of-the-profits-of-silicon-valleys-top-150-companies

truly masterrace
>>
>>54245595
>means changing > for <
Are you referring to a binary search tree?
Inverting a binary tree is simpler than that. It just means flipping all the left and right nodes.
>>
>>54245650
Oh that's weird. I'm a chemical engineer not a software engineer, and I've never seen any of the "physical" engineers (chemical, mechanical, civil, etc.) use a Mac so i assumed it would be the same for software.
>>
>>54244083
"waah waah i can't write real applications but im special i deserve to be hired anyway"
>>
File: 27.png (172 KB, 422x422) Image search: [Google]
27.png
172 KB, 422x422
>>54245269
>posts anime
>calls anyone a faggot
>>
>>54244946
I'm not an apple shill but even I know Apple optimizes it's software to its hardware

talk about what you know, not what you don't know
>>
>>54245093
>any data structure can be a bool
dude...
>>
>>54244949
>dat uber high res
fugg
>>
>>54245653
Macfags really are turning our field to shit.
>>
>>54245650
I worked at Synopsys and there were no Macs to be found. I guess since it's a company that develops actual software not filled with data mining and social shit like facebook, google or yahoo.
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.