[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
so after 2 hours of this shit wat do?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
File: 134343.png (16 KB, 599x164) Image search: [Google]
134343.png
16 KB, 599x164
so after 2 hours of this shit
wat do?
>>
>>54240702
Clear the content of the following folder and restart the PC:
C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download
>>
>>54240702
No, but seriously, find a better operating system.
>>
>>54240909
ill switch to os x
>>
rm -rf /
>>
Upgrade to Windows 10.
>>
http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/GwxControlPanelSetup.exe
>>
>>54240978
>expecting this to work on non-meme tier OSes

kek, doesn't even work on my Freebsd 4.x mailserver
>>
I had this same problem yesterday on a number of different PC's, checking for updates had been going on for several hours with no end in sight. It's a bug, first close windows update and open an elevated CMD prompt and type "net stop wuauserv".

Now manually download and install the update KB3145739 , reboot when it prompts. You'll now be able to complete the searching for updates phase like normal.
>>
>>54240702
install gentoo
>>
>>54240702
Leave it for several more hours. That shit takes a LONG time to do because of retarded design.
>>
>>54241091
>Now manually download and install the update KB3145739

Get it from here https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/MS16-039 just choose the right version for your version of windows. Here is a direct link to the win 7 x64 version https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=51853
>>
>>54240702
>starts swapping to disk while checking for updates
Want a webbum of my arch install updating?
>>
IT help desk guy here. For our Windows 7 installs on personal computer, these things have started taking forever to do updates in the past few weeks.
>>54241091
This has worked to some extent, but it still takes way longer than it should.
>>
>>54241183
When did you first start noticing the slowdowns? Could it be M$ choking update servers for older versions of windows in favor of 10?

>but it still takes way longer than it should.
It took less than 10 minutes after I applied that "fix" where as before it was going for 6 hours before I gave up and went to bed.
>>
>>54240702
This is a known bug in win7.
As others have said you have to manually install two updates.

Find them here-
https://www.reddit.com/r/windows/comments/4650ia/if_you_are_doing_a_fresh_install_of_windows_7_and/
>>
>>54241215
Not him but i've had several problems too like my cpu going up to 25% use just cause of wuauserv (windows update services).
I've tried everything included that microsoft fix but nothing works, i'm gonna format this shit when i get a new HDD to back it up.
>>
How come it's been so long and Windows still does not have properly working updates?
>>
>>54241290
They broke it, but then decided not to bother fixing it. Forcing more people on to Windows 10
>>
File: 1461201539826.jpg (59 KB, 848x960) Image search: [Google]
1461201539826.jpg
59 KB, 848x960
Microcuck is purposely doing this in favor of botnet 10.
>>
>>54240702
Remove Windows
Install Linux
>>
>>54241290
There's no p2p update functionality in older versions of windows, so it was always taking forever to update fresh installation, especially if it had no recent service pack included. And yeah, they've might just cut the rates for anything that is not a w10.
>>
https://superuser.com/questions/951960/windows-7-sp1-windows-update-stuck-checking-for-updates

literally google "winows 7 update stuck" 1st result
>>
>>54241215
It started happening about 2 weeks ago. With the ones that we have applied to fix to, it still takes about an hour or so to check for updates. An improvement, but not as good as could be hoped for.

Definitely would recommend applying KB3145739 if it gets it down to 10 minutes in some cases.
>>
>>54240702
Restart
>>
>>54241325
>implying windows 7 was better than XP.
>>
>>54240702
wait for 3 more hours
>>
>>54241325
I'm guessing win2k isn't on there because nothing is capable of representing how good it is?
>>
>>54240702

Don't shut it down. Killed my install because there were 2 pending updates left and because it was Windows 8 it just went into hibernate so it got stuck into a "please wait" loop. Spend weeks fucking around with a windows image before I got fed up and reinstalled
>>
>>54241645
>this is what windows users actually go through
meanwhile if you manage to brick a linux install you pop a livecd and fix it
>>
>2 hours
lmao wait another 12 that's how long it took me to update a fresh install
>>
Stop using deprecated versions of Windows and upgrade to 10.
>>
>>54241947
FOAD
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.