[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I convince the other students on my final project to use
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4
File: libre-office4.png (159 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
libre-office4.png
159 KB, 640x360
How do I convince the other students on my final project to use LibreOffice and not M$ Office? I've gone through all the arguments in my head (rehearsed quietly while riding the bus) about software freedom and the GPL but I'm worried that they'll fall flat. What tactics do you use to move people to free software?
>>
It's free. Most people get swayed by that alone
>>
how about stop trying to force shit down other people's throats?

I bet you're a lonely man OP
>>
Why does it matter? Can't you use .doc/.docx in LibreOffice? Otherwise, why not have them just send you what they have so you can format it (will likely be more consistent and professional)?

You can't expect everyone you meet to use open-source software.
>>
Why don't you try and convince this thread to use LibreOffice and we'll give you feedback and explain why you're a faggot.
>>
>>54236625
Use LaTeX instead
>>
Just use Google Docs
>>
"It's free and microsoft won't come after you for using it"
>>
>>54236706
supporting non-free software is actually taking away people's freedoms, without them even realizing it. thats the most insidious part of it. like so many times in history, people wont realise how much theyve lost until its too late
>>
The de facto standard for documents is MS Office/Office Suite.
By trying to go against the grain here you are making things just more difficult for yourself.

If anyone should change it should be you.
>>
>>54236735
Since OP isn't a middle aged to elderly autistic academic with stockholm syndrome towards the shittiest of markup languages, that's not a good pick.
>>
>>54236625
>How do I convince the other students on my final project to use LibreOffice and not M$ Office?

You should be convincing them to use LaTeX.
>>
File: bobby.jpg (26 KB, 615x456) Image search: [Google]
bobby.jpg
26 KB, 615x456
>>54236744
>like so many times in history, people wont realise how much theyve lost until its too late

Did you seriously just make a comparison between paid software and the holocaust? I can't actually believe that anyone is that autistic.
>>
>How do I convince normalfags to stop being normalfags?
It's hard, and it takes time.
You know those faggots the best, so it's up to you to find the most effective way of shaping he arguments so that they will understand what they are getting into.
Do they care about freedom / privacy, are they poorfags, do they know / care that they are sucking Microsoft's dick....

You have a noble goal anon, do your best, /g/ stands with you.
>>
>>54236625
>I've gone through all the arguments in my head (rehearsed quietly while riding the bus)
wow kys fgt
>>
If anything M$, the office suite isn't the worst to be stuck with.
If you don't have it say that you won't buy the suite just for the project but if you have a license, swallow your bile and cope with it.
It's not like you're using different IDEs and the indentation gets all screwed up.
>>
For one, not being a fucking autistic prick about it.

For another, not being completely autistic and forcing my normie groupmates to use programs they have absolutely no experience with, but expecting the same level of quality they can offer with M$.

For a third, not asking because LibOff can read fucking .docx ARE YOU FUCKING AUTISTIC OR SOMETHING ANON HOLY FUCK
>>
>>54236625
>How do I convince the other students on my final project to use LibreOffice and not M$ Office?
>What tactics do you use to move people to free software?

Simple, OP. You show them a piece of software that is either on-par with or exceeds the software they already use.

Unfortunately, Open/Libreoffice pales in comparison to MS Office unless all you want to do is very, very simple word processing. Office is lightyears ahead of Open/Libreoffice in terms of advanced features and functionality.

In the past I really, really tired to use Open/Libreoffice as a university student. Unfortunately, it was an exercise in frustration, and I quickly found myself yearning for the Office once again. Collaborating with Office users was similarly a disaster, as nothing would stay formatted correctly between any of us. Say what you want about Microsoft, but they make a damn good office suite.

Only thing that comes close that I have used in the last few years is Kingsoft Office, which is basically a Chinese ripoff of Office.
>>
>>54236772
The holocaust wasn't the only genocide, Ishmael.
But it was the genocide that benefited the victims the most. Most genocides end really badly for the target.
>>
>>54236625
"It's free, I won't pay for shit"
>>
>>54236951
What are you talking about? LibreOffice is great. It can do just about everything MS Office can.
>>
>>54237017
>just about everything
Therein lies the problem, unfortunately. On the surface it is great, but try to do anything more advanced and the software falls short.
>>
>>54236651
it's free in the school's computers also. probably $10 or less at the school bookstore for personal copies
>>
>>54236625
Unless it's equally good or a better product, you probably aren't going to convince normies unless they need cheaper/free option.
>>
>>54236625
>thinking end users give a fuck about licenses and other legalese
Im a dev and even I dont give a hoot about licenses

Do you read the t&c on everything too?
>>
>>54237061
Care to give an example? I've used LO for countless of lab reports and my thesis, and never did I miss any functionality MS Office has.
>>
>>54236625
Using it on my work as programmer. Holy fuck this shit is unbearable. If 1 instance crash, all other will crash too. Slow as fuck, lagging and ugly.
>>
>>54236625
DO YOU EVEN TORRENT?
>>
>>54236755
Is there any alternative to Latex?
>>
>>54241067
For generated documentation? Yes, MS does something with scripting but I don't know what. LaTeX is horrendous but what can you do really?
>>
The GPL is actually reason not to use it, but thankfully OO is under the Apache license.
>>
>>54238913
Lab reports with basic tables is not an advanced formatting. But you will not encounter any enterprise-level documentation in your life unless you will ever get hired by any non-shit-tier company. So you can go on with using whatever you prefer while you're a student or whatever.
>>
File: elwtfamireadingo.jpg (32 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
elwtfamireadingo.jpg
32 KB, 320x320
>>54240825
>using libreoffice for programming
>>
File: 1383541819398.png (1003 KB, 641x4513) Image search: [Google]
1383541819398.png
1003 KB, 641x4513
>>54236625
OP is that you?
>>
>>54236625

Which one is better?

LibreOffice or Apache OpenOffice?
>>
Open365 is in beta now, the free libreoffice version of Microsoft Office 365. Suggest that, it's all in browser.
>>
>>54236714
Eh.. kind of. It doesn't work all too well though, I've had weird things show up when I try to open a .doc created by libreoffice with microsoft office. Because of that, what I usually do is distribute roles, and have the final document preparation / revision handled by me so I can use LaTeX or libreoffice.
>>
I got win10 education for free and I paid €3 for a year of office professional botnet edition.

I just gave up on preserving muh freedums on my school laptop. I suggest you do the same and start worrying about your grades or some shit.
>>
>>54241355
>it's all in browser
And this is supposed to be a good thing?
>>
>>54236625
Use a cloud service like jewgle docs or office 360
>>
>>54241336
Apache OpenOffice is mostly dead and all useful stuff was already merged with LibreOffice.
>>
>>54236625

Don't.

I've tried it, an Libre Office can't deal with documents like M$ does. Wether you compare it to powerpoint, access or excel, the proprietary stuff works way better.

Sorry to say.
>>
Why don't use just use Word like everyone else
>>
>>54241284
It's used for localization file and data tables (for gayme) so I am forced to use it because there is not enough designers nor fucking company want to spend 8$ for a fuckin excel (and it is huge one with 5k people around a globe)
>>
>>54241297
I keep telling everyone these shits exist and they seem to all forget every time this thread dies. Seems like if you can't do any actual work, just complain about the software and be a freetard so you can pretend to be "superior"

Eventually speaking over a decade or so a job is going to literally want you to be at it. It will pay well, they will even chop out requirements just for you, everything, etc. But you're gonna fuck it all up and say no and stay poor because of the most autistic irrelevant thing like the HR manager wants you to submit it in .doc, then you regurgitate the same psuedo-freetard garbage you've been peddling for 15 years WITH LITERALLY NOT EVEN A SINGLE CONVERSION. You might as well kill yourself now.
>>
>>54236625
Your grade is on the line, I say c uck it and use M$ office. Not worth the risk now.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.