[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
WHY USE AN OUTDATED OS WHEN A SECURE UPDATE IS AVAILABLE?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 8
File: 1460758587851.jpg (903 KB, 1614x2310) Image search: [Google]
1460758587851.jpg
903 KB, 1614x2310
When will Microsoft stop Windows 7 support and FORCE users to move to Windows 10?

Users are generally DUMB and don't know what's good for them that's why they constantly have viruses and computers slowing down all the time.
>>
>>54226634
i'm running arch.
>>
File: 1461558956760.gif (3 MB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1461558956760.gif
3 MB, 200x200
>>54226649

I'm a Vegan and I do Crossfit and I'm also an Atheist.
>>
I use 7 and as soon as my computer forces a 10 install, it's hammer time
sledge hammer time
or gentoo idgaf anymore
>>
>>54226678

Looks like somebody:
>>54226649

just got out-snowflaked by a baboon.

>euphoric.tif
>>
>>54226634
I'll probably update to 10 soon, eventually we will all be on the botnet.

haven't had a virus in Windows 7 though since i been using common sense 2016 though.
>>
>>54226634

OSX

Feels good man.
>>
>>54226634
oi vey goyim get Windows 10 or else you're an anti semite!
>>
HEY SHLOMO

XP HERE
>>
>>54226827
>I'm a cuckold!
>>
File: whatweretheythinking.jpg (143 KB, 965x719) Image search: [Google]
whatweretheythinking.jpg
143 KB, 965x719
>When will Microsoft stop Windows 7 support and FORCE users to move to Windows 10?

The same moment when I decide to install Linux on my desktop.
>>
>>54226923
>>54226688

Windows 10 is good for Linux then. Why don't I see more media writing how to guides for moving to Linux from Windows?
>>
>>54226981
Because you're not looking.

>would be good for Linux
Which is a reason for Microsoft not to do it...
>>
File: li7yvfN.jpg (259 KB, 1024x1298) Image search: [Google]
li7yvfN.jpg
259 KB, 1024x1298
>>54227048

I look daily but there are none.

The truth is that Linux doesn't have any advantages over Windows 10. The most extreme security holes of the last few years were discovered in Linux, not Windows.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heartbleed#Possible_prior_knowledge_and_exploitation
>>
>>54227153
they were discovered because loonix is open source.

how would you check in closed source windoze?
>>
>>54226634
Still running 8.1 on my stuff. There are a couple things that they need to change before I will upgrade.

10 is NOT faster, especially at the fairly important (on a laptop) task of quickly sleeping and waking. I recently helped someone set up a new i5 desktop with 10 on it. Overall pretty good hardware, 7200 RPM HDD, 8 GB RAM, ~3.2 GHz Haswell i5 iirc. Somehow 8.1 on my shitty banged up AMD C-60 netbook from 4 years ago with a 5400 RPM HDD is far faster at waking from sleep, getting through the lock screen and back to the desktop. 8.1 also beats both 7 and 10 at boot speed, resource use and general responsiveness on the machines I've tested them on, especially on lower end machines where you feel it most.

Forced updating. I'm going to need more than just disable the service and enable it periodically to update on demand, and a tool to "temporarily" disable certain updates. If an update breaks shit I need (and I've had this happen multiple times in the past), I don't want it now, in 2 months, or ever.
>Enterprise/LTSB meme
To get that I either have to pay way too much or pirate, and I prefer not to pirate Windows on a machine I rely on when MS keeps making noises about breaking pirated copies.

I like the native virtual desktops and corner snapping, and I suppose I'll need to upgrade my gaming machine eventually for DX12. But right now, the cons outweigh the pros. And the security updates keep coming for 7 and 8.1 so I'm really no less secure than if I updated.
>>
>>54227222
>how would you check in closed source windoze?
You can analyze disassembled code in a debugger, but it still doesn't allow nearly as thorough or as fast work as if you have the source.
>>
>>54227153
>>54227222
You are so fucking dumb it hurts. Heartbleed was a security flaw in OpenSSL library, it was in no way related to linux.
Kill yourself out of /g/ dumb /v/ermin.
>>
File: _89362273_getty_playboycover.jpg (238 KB, 976x1300) Image search: [Google]
_89362273_getty_playboycover.jpg
238 KB, 976x1300
>>54227222
>they were discovered because loonix is open source.

No, they were placed in there by the NSA on purpose and kept secret in order to exploit it. How many more are there that are unreported?

>Security is the biggest bug of open source, says Linux Foundation CTO
>But there are problems with security that have led to major threats like Shellshock, Heartbleed and Poodle that put millions of internet users at risk.

>Someren was careful not to blame open source enthusiasts, many of whom work on projects in their own time while holding down a full time job, but he warned that the security woes can be attributed to lots of people building on old and established code that could contain flaws that simply don’t get spotted as no-one is really looking at it anymore.

>He also noted that lots of open source foundations have been built up over the years, and that patching can be a nightmare as it is difficult to tell what impact it will have down the line.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2454431/security-is-the-biggest-bug-of-open-source-says-linux-foundation-cto

>how would you check in closed source windoze?

You don't and you can't catch all bugs. Why do Linux users still think Linux is immune when it's been proven over and over not to be?
>>
File: lvh.jpg (38 KB, 990x213) Image search: [Google]
lvh.jpg
38 KB, 990x213
>>54227386

Are you thinking there's only one poster in every thread again?
>>
>>54227386
>it was in no way related to linux.

It's Open Source software that was shipped as default by 100% of desktop Linux distros and Android.

https://www.debian.org/security/2014/dsa-2896
http://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2014-0376.html
https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2014-April/020248.html
>>
>>54227474
>No, they were placed in there by the NSA on purpose and kept secret in order to exploit it. How many more are there that are unreported?
The same applies to Windows. What's harder, sneaking a backdoor into an open source project, or sending a letter to MS demanding they quietly put said backdoor in for you? Also, MS alerts the NSA to security holes in Windows a while before they patch them.

>lots of people building on old and established code that could contain flaws that simply don’t get spotted as no-one is really looking at it anymore
How does this not apply to closed source as well? In both cases, the products expand by building on old code that may be flawed, without looking at it much. The biggest difference is in open source there are more eyes looking at the code, though most of them are on the new parts.

>Why do Linux users still think Linux is immune when it's been proven over and over not to be?
Not immune, just less vulnerable.
Serious Linux bug discovered, it's given a cute nickname and plastered all over the news.
Serious Windows bug discovered, a few people write about it, most just shake their heads and go on their way.

Same reason plan crashes make international news, while large highway accidents usually don't make it past the local news. One is just so much less common than the other.
>>
File: 1390514803588.jpg (46 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1390514803588.jpg
46 KB, 625x626
>>54226634
>>
>>54227386
>it was in no way related to linux.

Essential Linux software relies on it:

Check this list for Arch alone https://www.archlinux.org/packages/core/i686/openssl/
>>
>>54226634
>Users are generally DUMB
that's why they need to be forced on win10, you dumb fuck
>>
>>54227621

Sneaking it into an open source project funded by the NSA is much easier. Muh patriotism faggots don't care about your freedom.
>>
>>54227697
It doesn't matter who funds the project, if it's that major someone outside the project will see the commit. If it gets out, it either gets pulled instantly or someone will fork it, drop the change, and everyone will move to the fork.
>>
File: 1460759084221.jpg (1 MB, 3779x2519) Image search: [Google]
1460759084221.jpg
1 MB, 3779x2519
This is a thread for Windows users but once again it's been hijacked by Linuxfags
>>
>>54227741
>someone outside the project will see the commit. If it gets out, it either gets pulled instantly or someone will fork it,

This goes 100% against what the Linux Foundation CTO who knows more than you said. It may happen that way in naieve Linux fans' heads but in practice it doesn't which is why Heartbleed, Shellshock etc. are possible.
>>
>>54227788
Yes, not everything gets noticed quickly. It's still better than in closed source. If this were in Windows, we still wouldn't know about the bug since nobody can look at the source.
>>
>>54227864
>It's still better than in closed source. If this were in Windows, we still wouldn't know about the bug since nobody can look at the source.

This is 100% false. Heartbleed was discovered in Finland, not America where Red Hat, Google etc make billions off Linux and US government contracts

http://readwrite.com/2014/04/13/heartbleed-security-codenomicon-discovery/

Microsoft offers people tons of money to find bug http://fossbytes.com/find-a-bug-in-windows-10-get-up-to-100000-microsoft-bug-bounty/
>>
>>54226634
>>secure
>>windows
Pick one
>>
>>54226678
Do you vape too?
>>
>>54228013
>Heartbleed was discovered in Finland
Uhmmm... why is this relevant in any way? Someone somewhere found it, and they did so by looking at the source.

>Microsoft offers people tons of money to find bug
Yet they don't let them look at the source to aid them in their bug hunting. The bounty is to discourage people from selling what they find on the black market.
>>
>>54228081

Meanwhile Linux bugs are cheap on the Black Market because there are so plenty of them.

Why live with your head in the sand?
>>
>>54227610
Shipped is pretty misleading. Most Linux desktop distros don't enable SSHD nor a web server by default.
>>
>>54227744
>95 years of supporting rats
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.