[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Linux
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 14
File: linux_inception.jpg (64 KB, 410x668) Image search: [Google]
linux_inception.jpg
64 KB, 410x668
What is Linux ?

How to answer this tech-noob friend ?
>>
A kernel.
>>
>>54222304
"It's an operating system, which is the software that allows you, the user, to run applications on your computer and interact with the hardware in a safe and controlled way".

>inb4 hurr durr linux is the kernel interjection
Save that until he knows the difference between a kernel and a userland.
>>
It's just an irrelevant kernel that will soon be replaced by Hurd.
>>
Linux is a kernel that forms the basis of several popular operating systems, including GNU/Linux.
>>
it's a free, open source operating system for nerds/people who don't know how to torrent

seriously don't see any practical application to use fucking linux
>>
>>54222318
>>54222328
>>54222329
What is a care nail?
>>
A tiny piece of computer software that does nearly nothing and still is tremendously famous for some reason, even though GNU is much more important.
>>
>>54222304
It's like Windows but better. NASA uses it.
>>
File: stallman likes what he sees.jpg (11 KB, 330x330) Image search: [Google]
stallman likes what he sees.jpg
11 KB, 330x330
>>54222341
I wonder who could be behind this post...
>>
>>54222340
A program in the system that allocates the machine's resources.
>>
>>54222304
I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!
>>
>>54222388
What's an OS?
>>
>>54222360

Nice conspiracy theory, but Linux was always but a temporary solution and everybody knew that.
>>
>>54222360
>Stallman: diligently plotting to make us free
The hero we need!
>>
>>54222399
I don't know
>>
>>54222451

Truly the greatest mind in computer science history!
>>
File: 1438746935457.jpg (57 KB, 560x560) Image search: [Google]
1438746935457.jpg
57 KB, 560x560
>>54222328
>Hurd
Unusable dogshit for almost 3 decades, and no signs of stopping. G*d bless Linus from saving us from yet another half-assed Stallmanu turd.
>>
>>54222489
>for 3 decades
It didn't exist until 5 years ago you fucking liar.
>>
>>54222489
from 1 to ashes, how jew are you?
>>
File: 63820267.jpg (98 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
63820267.jpg
98 KB, 500x333
>>54222335
>nerds/people who don't know how to torrent
I'd be amazed if someone who installed linux didn't know how to torrent.

>Pirated Windows
botnet in yo botnet
>>
>>54222326
>save the facts for after you've already told him lies
>>
>>54222304
an interrupt handler with device drivers and many more
>>
File: whatsgnu.jpg (68 KB, 398x500) Image search: [Google]
whatsgnu.jpg
68 KB, 398x500
>>
>>54222304
It's windows without the bloatware, trialware, spyware, malware, botnet ware, eating shit from your own hands ware, or windows.
>>
File: 1335b7.jpg (29 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1335b7.jpg
29 KB, 500x375
>>54222326
Me: It's operating system like windows
Him: Then what difference between windows and linux ?
Me: *should go over all the details that he will never understand*
>>
File: f19.jpg (22 KB, 277x296) Image search: [Google]
f19.jpg
22 KB, 277x296
>>54222304
>>
>>54222427
Yeah GNU Hard was the real solution, right?
>>
File: i4ZdlCy.png (63 KB, 678x463) Image search: [Google]
i4ZdlCy.png
63 KB, 678x463
>>54222713

You sound frustrated.
>>
>>54223034
Yeah, run it on your main machine, then shitpost
>>
>>54223034
Is it bad that I just now got why it's called Hurd?
Like, a herd of GNU?
>>
It's MacOS for commie retards.
>>
File: 1451874924062.png (39 KB, 683x576) Image search: [Google]
1451874924062.png
39 KB, 683x576
>>54222304
The main problem is that retards call everything "Linux". If they installed Ubuntu, they say they installed "Linux". If a program doesn't work, they say "Linux can't even [random term]". In reality it's more complex.

Linux is a kernel. What is a kernel? A kernel is a program that allocates system resources to other programs. Windows is using the kernel "NT". GNU is mostly using Linux as kernel. When people use this combination and add desktop envirovments and other packages, we call it "distribution/distro" like Ubuntu, Arch, Gentoo. Unlike on Windows, on GNU you can replace the kernel with other kernels like kFreeBSD, GNU Mach (Hurd) or a version of Linux with non-free blobs removed (Linux-libre).

tl;dr Think of Linux like a part of a car's engine, that pups the gas to the right places.
>>
File: 1341764445162.png (159 KB, 800x575) Image search: [Google]
1341764445162.png
159 KB, 800x575
>>54223280
>>
>>54223203
You hadn't hurd that before?
>>
>>54222388
Op is refering to linux you dumb fuck
>>
>>54222691
"It respects the user more and gives you the power to tweak your PC more to your liking. Also it's more secure, so your dumb ass is less likely to get infected by malware."
>>
"It's another operating system. You know Windows and Mac OS? Well, Linux is another one".

Far from accurate but whatever
>>
nothing important
>>
The same thing as the command prompt in Windows except with more features.
>>
>>54222304
If windows is a toy house, linux the lego version of the same house.
>>
>>54222691

I'd actually like to see the lot of you answer this in point form in as much detail as possible.
>>
>>54224499
I like this analogy.
Some people won't give a fuck, but if you like houses, linux is a lot more fun.
>>
help i got cockblocked by freebsd
should i switch back to windows
>>
It's a fad for turbonerds to pretend to code on a superior OS when in fact they can do the same on Windows.
>>
>>54224605

I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!
>>
>>54222520
medium well
>>
>>54222660
Yeah I'm sure your parents told you all about the stock market just after you were born.
>>
>>54222341

This so fucking much. Stallman is God and GNU is his gospel!
>>
File: huehue.jpg (20 KB, 590x421) Image search: [Google]
huehue.jpg
20 KB, 590x421
>>54222341
>the only true piece of absolutely necessary software
>does nearly nothing
>>
>>54222304
linux is when you can turn computer off without installing updates
>>
>>54228292
>replaceable by hurd
>necessary
>>
It's funny and equally sad that year 2016 marks the end of the Linux OS for a lot of people. There are several issues with Linux which, at present, make Spyware/Malware Ubuntu inappropriate and even outright dangerous for a lot of people. The most egregious, of course, is a total abandonment of any form of privacy and control.

Firstly, Canonical openly stated that pervasive data collection will be present in any Ubuntu version starting from Ubuntu 12 and now with 16 its been heavily integrated. As a host of research on the Internet shows, this data collection cannot be disabled using official means. If you decide to disable total tracking (including keyboard scanning and voice recording) you'll have to disable over a hundred different Internet addresses and then no one guarantees that a new Ubuntu update doesn't add new hosts because Canonical surely is not interested in losing such a lucrative feature meant for Big Brother agencies. Read the rest of the article for official Canonical statements and for various information on how Ubuntu breaches you privacy and how you might try to control it (it's almost futile btw).

Secondly, Canonical has stripped us of controlling Ubuntu updates. It was ostensibly done to improve the user experience by keeping the system up to date and perhaps malware free, but the truth is that a built-in antimalware protection in Ubuntu is simply horrible because there isn't any. Said updates mean nothing for security because over 90% of infections happen due to the user actions (like downloading and installing dubious applications). No Ubuntu update can prevent such a behaviour.
Thirdly, as Canonical has stated multiple times, Ubuntu 16 will not have any service packs because Ubuntu 16 has become a service, it will be updated over time to bring new features and remove the old ones. Ubuntu 16 you might have updated to in April 2016 will be a different OS than Ubuntu 16 plus all its updates a year later.
>>
>>54229066
Let me say that I've always been a big fan of Ubuntu because Canonical does care about compatibility vs. Many other tech companies which break backward compatibility all the time. However I've always felt that there are no resources or articles on the web which dig deep into Ubuntus' problems and therefore I wrote this very concise essay. Mind that it was not created to say that Windows is better (it's definitely not). It was created to stop Canonical fans roaring in regard to Ubuntu 16 and how it's better than Ubuntu 10 in every regard - it's actually worse in most regards aside from Vulkan (which is actually hidden from the user and it's only exposed in games).
>>
>>54229066
>>54229082
Jolly good.

I finally realized it's a modified windows pasta at the
>Canonical does care about compatibility

lel, amazuntu is such garbage
>>
>>54222304
it's an operating system
windows is an operating system
linux is different to windows
>>
>>54229713

You misspelled GNU.
>>
>>54222304
>implying I talk to people
>>
File: operating_systems.png (43 KB, 740x189) Image search: [Google]
operating_systems.png
43 KB, 740x189
>>54228491
Call me when it's relevant.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.