[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Installed Debian Graphics drivers so fucked up I couldn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6
File: xubuntu.jpg (7 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
xubuntu.jpg
7 KB, 225x225
>Installed Debian
Graphics drivers so fucked up I couldn't even see what I was doing in order to fix it.

>Installed Xubuntu
Just werks

.. And is Debian is supposed to be a hassle-free distro. Tell me again why people use distros that are even more prone to shit for their desktop OS instead of just installing comfy Xubuntu (Or other comfy distros: *Buntu, Manjaro, Sparky, Deepin etc.)

>inb4 Amazon botnet
>inb4 muh free(as in FOSS)dom
>>
>>54221690
Are you using a fucking TNT Riva or something?
>>
>>54221705
750ti.
I had the same problem with OpenSUSE as well. It does however seem to work on my older monitor.. but I'm not using that shit
>>
>>54221690
don't load into x and just install drivers through console retard
>>
Debian has never given me trouble from a clean install.

The drivers are likely the same between Ubuntu and Debian. Fixing it could've been done by adding the non-free repos I'd bet.
>>
>>54221690
>I can't use Debian
fuck off, I fucking easy
>>
>>54221751
Are you using the NVIDIA drivers?
>>
>>54221690
What drivers did you used
on Debian and what drivers are you using on Xubuntu?
>>
>>54221690
>And is Debian is supposed to be a hassle-free distro
Who told you that? Debian people are die-hard freetards, and hate proprietary drivers with a passion.
>>
>>54221690
>Debian is supposed to be a hassle-free distro.
No
>>
>>54221857
>Debian people are die-hard freetards
First, free software is a good thing
Second, you can easily install proprietary softwares on Debian
>>
>>54221908
That doesn't change the fact that Debian people are die-hard freetards.
>>
>>54221908
>First, free software is a good thing
Yes, but fanatical freetardism isn't.

>Second, you can easily install proprietary softwares on Debian
Yeah, but the ones in the non-free repos are from the bronze age and you'd be better off downloading it directly from Nvidia.
>>
>>54221908
>First, free software is a good thing
He wrote "Debian people are die-hard freetards"... He didn't write "free software isn't a good thing".
>>
>>54221936
>non-free repos are from the bronze age
Obviously, they are if you use Debian stable
>>
>>54221838
Free shit on Debian, that I wasn't able to change as I couldn't see anything (useful), and proprietary Nvidia drivers on Xubuntu
>>
>>54221961
>using nvidia free driver
>complaining
>>
>>54221690
>Installed Debian
>jus werkz
>Installed Xubuntu
>jus werkz
Stop being a retard, OP. Install instructions and FAQ guides exist for a reason.
>>
>>54221961
That's your problem, out of the box Debian is great for servers, if you want to use it as a personal OS you need to configure a lot of shit and it really isn't worth it.
>>
>>54221954
They are actively trying to remove the proprietary driver from their repos, anon.

https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers

>As of jessie, the need for the proprietary drivers is pretty much over - nouveau now works quite well and works with dual-headed displays by simple and easy configuring from within your desktop (for KDE see System_Settings/Hardware/Display_and_Monitor/Display_Configuration). The proprietary drivers don't provide normal logging and can be a hidden source of problems. If you are doing a distribution upgrade, you should at the very least remove all the nvidia packages from wheezy, get your desktop working with nouveau, then reinstall the nvidia packages if there is a pressing reason.

They are so delusional freetards they are willing to remove a working proprietary driver in order to force a non-working free driver.
>>
>>54221994
It installed fine. It's the drivers that are the issue.
>>
>>54221961
>Free shit on Debian, that I wasn't able to change as I couldn't see anything
Did you try booting with nomodeset? I think I had the same problem after installing jessie and switching to non free drivers works. After that I installed Debian testing and the free drivers just worked but testing had it's own problem in that the current net installer is fucking broken and downloads the wrong version of systemd somehow but you can fix it using apt-get -fy install.
>>
>>54221961
Debian won't include the nVidia binary blob.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-04-25_19-56-56.png (249 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-25_19-56-56.png
249 KB, 1280x800
Manjaro is the best Xfce based distribution.
>>
>>54222026
>freetards
Give credit where credit is due, the fact that there is a free driver, 100% reversed engineered, and works at all, if pretty impressive.
>>
>>54222098
That doesn't change the fact that it works like shit in most cases.
>>
>>54222098
I didn't say that nouveau isn't impressive, but removing the proprietary driver because nouveau is "good enough" is just retarded. This is a purely ideological reason, and if there's anything I hate in the free software community it is decisions made from ideology only.

This is the reason why Debian for several years went without a working Wine package. This is the reason why core maintainers left after Debian Women outrage over a bad joke. Decisions made from ideology alone is worthless, and in more cases than not, harmful.
>>
>>54221690
Back in my time it was a pure nightmare to make the network (WiFi) card work
>>
>>54221690
I install Xubuntu on my netbook Asus 900ha with 2gb ram and it's perfect. It's so good I didn't rice it yet.
>>
>>54221690
Anon, I think you understand the purpose of FOSS.
If you don't like something, you download it's source code, then modify it to suit your requirements, and then use it, or release it to the public.

Debian is the base without any bells and whistles, and even proprietary drivers. Ubuntu is Debian+proprietary drivers and a lot of stuff.

People use distributions like Debian because of how versatile and flexible they are
>>
>Install Xubuntu
>Tearing out the ass
>Software center is absolute shit
>Computer becomes literally unusable when copying files
>Go back to W7

I don't have the time or will to deal with this.
>>
>>54222091
Holy fuck there's a foobar clone for linux? Where do I sign up?
>>
>>54223451
>apt-get install compton
>apt-get install synaptic

>Computer becomes literally unusable when copying files
rip
>>
>>54223451
>he actually uses the software center
>>
>>54221690
I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!
>>
Debian doesn't include non-free stuff. This is the reason why it doesn't just werk. Debian is essentially the base that other distributions build ontop of.

Also, Xubuntu is outdated garbage, stop using it.
>>
File: 1456799897891.jpg (40 KB, 390x418) Image search: [Google]
1456799897891.jpg
40 KB, 390x418
>>54223730
>everything that isn't bleeding edge is garbage
>>
>>54223730
how is it more outdated than ubuntu?
>>
>>54223762
Use Mate or something if you want something with that "old" feeling.
>>
>>54221690
>Debian is supposed to be a hassle-free distro
Point at him and laugh
>>
File: 1447406705929.jpg (52 KB, 229x238) Image search: [Google]
1447406705929.jpg
52 KB, 229x238
>>54223939
>he thinks everything that isn't bleeding edge is so old that it's somehow completely different
>>
>>54222155
enjoy windows 10, faggot
>>
>>54222152
Make a better one!
>>
>nvidia
>>
>>54224163
No different than a Windows XP user.
>>
File: 1445762990481.jpg (17 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1445762990481.jpg
17 KB, 250x250
>>54224526
>he thinks that not using bleeding edge software means using software from 2001
You can't be this retarded
>>
>>54223939
But why? xfce is still developed and actually works fine.
>>
>Install gentoo
>Also just werks
>>
>>54223625
>>apt-get install compton
Enjoy your lag when moving windows around
>>
>>54222155
>>54222098
Nouveu has overcloking and reclocking.
It also supports buttery smooth wayland.
Nvidia drivers dont have this.
And it performs better on some games so its not completely trash for games.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.